News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 'Ard boy finals in Baltimore (2500 Eldar)  (Read 628 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
'Ard boy finals in Baltimore (2500 Eldar)
« on: October 18, 2007, 12:09:43 PM »
This is my 2,500 pt list for the finals in Baltimore. The list has undegone minor changes from round 2.

Eldrad
Yriel
3 jetbikes w/ cannon upgrade
10 wraithguard w/ spiritseer wb,p conceal
6 dragons w/ exarch, crack shot, dragon's beath & tank hunter
6 dragons w/ exarch, crack shot & dragon's beath
10 harlies w. deathjester, shadow seer, troupemaster (power weapon) & 7 kisses.
9 spiders w/ exarch, surprise assault, pb, withdraw & dual spinners
6 spiders w/ exarch, surprise assault,pb, withdraw & dual spinners
1 vyper w/ EML & cannon upgrade
2 falcons scatter laser, shuriken cannon, holo, stones, vectored engines & star engines
1 Prism - shuriken cannon, holo, stones, star engines & vectored engines

57 models
11 scoring units

The change consists of dropping a vyper from the squadron (making it a single vyper again) and usng the extra poins to give each spider unit powerblades & withdraw. I also got to put star engines on the fire prism.

Funny thing is - in all prior test games (before round 1 & 2 of the 'Ard boy) having withdraw or powerblades on the spiders seemed to be such a waste of points. Each time they'd shoot and then either be slaughtered by shooting or the very frst assault - never anything left to jump away with. Of course, in the last 6 tourney games at least half a dozen times I wish that I had purchased those powers. Droppng the vyper seeed a pretty decent trade - If I got to use the power once it might make the difference in a game.

Star engines on the Prism as it helps further feed the VP denial engine as well as giving me that much more objective grabbing range.

I can only pray that they have no more retarded misions like "hard days night"...

Lazarus.
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline robdark22

Re: 'Ard boy finals in Baltimore (2500 Eldar)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 01:49:52 AM »
i would total agree with the last statement that some of the mission they use are crazy to began with.
you live or die based on the decision you make it quick or i make it for you.

Offline Satanic Joker Jester

• Armies: Eldar
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 06:28:22 AM »
do you find vypers tend to make there points back? in smaller games as well? or more so in larger games where where they are less likely to be shot at, i wonder if you could field something better thant the vyper?
another day, just breathe.

Looking for a new army project...
Eldar         Necrons
6-0-1       4-1-1

Possible, that it could all be wonderful~
Sweet the sound, as all the stars come crashing down~

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 06:57:20 AM »
Posted by: Satanic Joker Jester

do you find vypers tend to make there points back?

It really depends on what you are shooting at. If I destroy a rhino for example I may not earn all of my points back but I may have either pinned a unit or at least made them less mobile than they were before....you don't always have to make your points back to be succesfull. I have considered another small unit of bikes but wasn't all that happy with their success. The vyper offers more firepower for about the same points.

in smaller games as well?

I mainly use the vyper as a point filler - there is usually something else I'd rather have.....

i wonder if you could field something better than the vyper?

Ideas?

Lazarus.
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline Exiled

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 07:42:32 AM »
A min EML Guardian Defender squad cost 100. They got the same accuracy, probably more survivability and will enhance your troop's number, because it does seem a little low for 2500.
To compensate the points you could drop the Tank Hunter ability. I really don't see the point of in on FD in falcon armed with melta weapons+bombs.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 07:47:41 AM by Exiled »

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 08:44:16 AM »
Posted by: Exiled

A min EML Guardian Defender squad cost 100. They got the same accuracy, probably more survivability and will enhance your troop's number, because it does seem a little low for 2500.

Accuracy is the same but I'll be shooting more shots at range. I won't argue survivability in most cases but as a fast scoring unit the vyper blows them away. The vyper also will not run away which my guardians did without the Avatar in the games of the first 'Ard boy rounds....the number of troops is irrelevant in the 'Ard boy tourney as there is no comp scores to worry about. The troops that I do have a pretty resilient....

To compensate the points you could drop the Tank Hunter ability. I really don't see the point of in on FD in falcon armed with melta weapons+bombs.

I'd still be short by 10 points to make this trade. Also, I have had the tank hunters come in handy on several occassions. It's nice to point out the fire dragons do indeed have melta bombs but on a turn that my falcon moves they certainly won't be using them. Turning the unit into 12" lascannons isn't a bad thing and often means I can destroy a tank one turn before I'd normally be able to as I don't have to risk getting closer or surviving another round of fire on my falcon.

I played a test game against necrons yesterday which is quite unusal for me. (I never play casual or practice lol) Using the changes I posted before:

Night bringer
Lord w/ orb, phase shifter, war scythe
3 units of 11 warriors
8 immortals
3 destroyers
3 destroyer
3 heavy destroyers
2 monoliths
3 wraiths
10 scarabs (yeah, I know he had 4 fast choices - needed the points)

Necrons are scary for me normally but I had 10 warithguard in the list - I could actually kill a monolith! (lol) - he went first and killed 1/2 of my wraithguard unit in cover before I could get fortune up.  :( I started the spiders on the board as there was little reason to deepstrike them. Withdraw & powerblades worked beautifully - I got to use the new upgrades twice on one unit and once on the other accounting for a total of 7 extra kills between shooting and assault - well worth the trade of the vyper. A less tough opponent and they'd likely have done even better. He killed 9 of 10 wraithguard and the one that got into range destroyed the monlith with one shot. (lol) The night bringer ate both Yriel and Eldrad but they did put 3 wounds on him first.

Uneventfull game other than that - phased him out on turn 5. Testing of the new list went better than expected. Didn't really miss the vyper but really liked my new spiders. The prism gaining star engines didn't mean anything in this game as it was immobilized.

Pretty sure I'll go with this list....

Lazarus.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 08:46:03 AM by Lazarus »

Offline tzeentchling

• Infinity Circuit
  • Cthulhu for Pres! Why vote for the lesser evil?
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 12:25:13 PM »
Why the particular numbers on the Spiders?  9 and 6 seem like an odd choice.  Other than that, seems like a solid list that you know how to play well.
"Every intelligent person, as you know, dreams of being a gangster and of ruling over society by force alone" - Albert Camus

My eldar record in 5th Edition: 3W-1D-1L (12/6/08)

Tactical Guide to CSM: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=148628.0

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 03:08:40 PM »
I was originally running (2) 6 man units. I only had enough points to raise one unit to 9 keeping the other fairly small on purpose in case I needed yo use one as a "throw away" unit. (deepstriking behind rear armour etc.)

Lazarus.