News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dantewing 1500  (Read 1490 times)

Offline -Lazuli-

• Lazuli Painting
Dantewing 1500
« on: May 12, 2010, 03:30:19 PM »

What do I equip to make this list effective. Why upgrades should I use?

Dante

3 Sanguinary Guard Squads

2 Dreadnoughts with Drop Pods

What weapons on the dreads and guard squads?

Offline Mr Pink

• Style before purpose
Re: Dantewing 1500
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 11:01:04 AM »
Which armies are you fighting against? Do you tailor against a specific opponent? Do you want a well-rounded force? Try and give some insight into your targets.
It is also generally better if you give a shot at list building and ask for advice after.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »
What do I equip to make this list effective.

I think you have to alter the basic structure of the list, at the end of the day only having 15 scoring marines is going to go badly for holding objectives, and while you might think 'yey hardly any kill points' you run the very real risk of being wiped out unless everything goes to plan for you.
Dante making the guard into troops is great, but I think taking them as the only troops is not so great.

This sort of army is great as a modelling project but is going to suffer massively in gaming terms no matter what tweaking you do with bits of wargear.

Secondly, ...wing as a description in 40K is normally based off the idea fielding a terminator based army (and occasionally similar heavy armour infantry varients in armies like Orks with lots of mega-armour).
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline -Lazuli-

• Lazuli Painting
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 12:55:43 PM »
Hi, facing mostly mech armies in battlemissionlike games, objectives senarios are very few. Thanks

Offline Paraplegic

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 02:08:20 PM »
I didn't think the Dante Wing was too bad, though The Sanguinary Guard Squads do have a terminator save and they're limited to 5 men. What they don't have are stock powerfists or any way to abuse wound allocation.

At the end of the day, the odds are against you in terms of winning. Hell, a deathwing army could outnumber you, and that's never a good thing. It's a thematically cool army and certainly easy to carry around minus the dread and drop pods.

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 02:59:27 PM »
What they don't have are stock powerfists or any way to abuse wound allocation.

Lies.

1 with Banner.
1 Plain.
1 with Fist.
1 with Infernus Pistol.
1 with Infernus and Fist.

As to the list, against mech this will be bad, apart from on the turn Dante's unit lands. I recommend taking regular Assault Marines. 10 with dual Meltas and a Fist are only 235, add in a Priest with a Jump Pack and that only caps at 310 - bargain deal.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 09:21:33 PM »
On top of the 15 total men fragility already mentioned, this list will just get blown up. Your fancy guys drop down out of the sky, then what? They can't assault so they are just going to get shot up and with such a small squad size they don't offer much shooting.

Offline Kudon

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 07:02:35 AM »
Assault Squads will be a good addition or else, 2 Demolisher cannons will just clean the table by latest turn 3 if opponent rolls are good.

Offline Tarrin the Space Marine

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • It's ok to be scared...
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 08:24:03 AM »
i have found with my BA assault list (which i might add i have had such before the new codex) that the SG are good as support troop choices but not as a core. the artificer save can be negated too easily and they just don't cut it in a straight fight.

For the same price as a tooled up unit i can get double the amount of normal marines or a well kitted vanguard squad which can dish it out much more, especially with heroic intervention.

dont be suckered for the pretty feathers.  Vanguard > Honour guard > Sangiunary guard.

To be honest i really do not rate dante as a pick. For the same price i can get a pair of libbys with packs.

a good start for a 1500 point JP list is:

Libby, (Sword, Lance powers) Pack 125
10 ass marines, 2 x MG, power fist 235

830 points, potential of 6 scoring units, 4 KP's, a bag of antitank and 30 troops.
leaves you 670 points to buy snackies with.

a couple basic dreads in pods (MM, HF) still leaves you 300 ish points to play with.

and for fraks sake its not a "wing".

However, everything about Tarrin is unfair and should be sanctioned with extreme prejudice.

The Globals have issued a 2:1 ruling that yes, yes everything about Tarrin is indeed unfair. We have also been sullied merely by contemplating this.