News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What the Warkopta!?  (Read 3460 times)

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
What the Warkopta!?
« on: July 26, 2016, 12:53:48 PM »
Now I’ve been a fan of the Warkopta since I first read about it in my copy of IA8.  Truthfully I never understood why some other players compared it to the SM Land Speeder when it always seemed more analogous to the IG Valkyre, but that’s me.  I don’t know your opinion on the wacky machine that it is, but Forgeworld just doubled down on the awesome-sauce.

In case you haven’t seen it yet, Forgeworld has released a free PDF download that updates its flyers with the new Death From the Skies rules, and curiously at the bottom of the second page it lists the Warkopta as an Attack Flyer.

At first I was jumping for joy, because my immediate thought was that this simple update gave the Warkopta the height it should have from the start, an equivalent of the Valkyre but cheaper, more ramshackle, and without all the spit and polish like squigskin seats.

But then I realized that this didn’t address how the Warkopta was a Skimmer.  Does the Warkopta maintain the ability to move like that with the Hover rule?  If not and with no Grav Chute rule doesn’t that mean anybody being transported can’t disembark unless the Warkopta is destroyed?  I mean I can see that being more Orky than the current Mob Rule, but that would be fairly naff for a Transport.  And then there’s the other question of if it was meant to be asterisked, and that the Flyer Type and Flyer stats are there purely for the Dogfight phase.

So what do you guys think this update means?   

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: What the Warkopta!?
« Reply #1 on: August 2, 2016, 01:06:59 PM »
Basically we've got two options: As you said, either the vehicle should have an * beside it or the vehicle should be given the Hover rule (page 59, Death from the Skies).

For the time being you should house rule it one way or the other just to make the vehicle work properly. Personally I'd throw Hover on there as the simplest solution.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #2 on: August 3, 2016, 07:53:42 AM »
The warcopta is still a transport. Just use the rules for it found in IA8. Then use the FW update for when you want to get into a dog fight.

Hmmmm, makes me want to build a squadron now... See what you did! More stuff to do.... ::)
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 3, 2016, 01:10:28 PM »
Hmmmm, makes me want to build a squadron now... See what you did! More stuff to do.... ::)
Good luck with that Skeetergod, I look forward to seeing some WiP pics.  I admit that I love GrimSqueaker's interpretation more than your's though, but that's the very nature of this tiny update.  There is severe ambiguity and confusion.

Naturally I want it to be a Hover Flyer with super weak Flyer stats because that's far better than a Skimmer that can be targeted in the Dogfight phase because honestly I can't think of ANY situation where you would want the Warkopta in a Dogfight.

In fact the Warkopta is kind of like a Grot equivalent for Flyers in the Dogfight Phase.  Think about it, an Open Topped Attack Flyer with next to no Pursuit or Agility with the Armor and HP of a Warbuggy.  Plus the weapons you'd most likely take (the free Big Shoota and the Rattler Kannon) wouldn't be able to damage any side of a Stormhawk, StormTalon, StormRaven, Dark Talon, Nephilim Jetfighter, Stormwolf, Stormfang, Night Scythe, or DoomScythe (and I'm not including other Forgeworld Flyers).  Those Flyers that it could glance for the most part need the rear or side armor which in a Dogfight means you'd have to win the Maneuver phase and choose to attack the side instead of Jink.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #4 on: August 7, 2016, 07:09:59 AM »
So, since you don't like the new update as it is too many shades of gray (grey?), then ignore it, and hope your opponent is not a rules lawyer that carries all the updates of all the armies around to be able to prove its intellectual superiority.

I can barely keep up with the rules for the orks, let alone every other army. So when an update comes out that makes no sense, I just ignore it for easy game play. After all, if the game gets too complicated where I will need a slide rule and scientific calculator to play, then I will retire from the game and go into hibernation.

Maybe the cubical worker that put out the update will get sacked and a new cubiworker will write a better one. I know patience is not the greatest ork attribute, but for now just go kick a squig or two and wait till the update gets updated.

My two teef
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak