News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: GT Heat 1 (German) - Report  (Read 3714 times)

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
GT Heat 1 (German) - Report
« on: April 9, 2008, 09:43:39 AM »
Last weekend I entered the German GT Heat 1: 1750 pts, gamma missions, no composition scores.
This year I played mech Eldar:
Doomseer on jetbike
2 squads of Fire Dragons
1 squad of Harlies
2 squads of Dire Avengers in Serpents
2 Vypers
3 Falcons.

First game (Cleanse) vs. Thousand Sons:
A very experienced WH Fantasy player. He had Chaos General with 4 Chosen Termies, 1 Sorcerer, 1 Tactical squad with MoT, 1 TS squad, 1 LR, 1 Havocs squad, 3 Obliterators.
There was a large building in the center, this was definitely advantageous for me. He quickly entered the building with his standard troops and Obliterators. The LR with the Termie payload was held back entering one round later. My two Fire Dragon squads took down the Obliterators and the LR, the Harlies killed the standard squad with MoT, and the TS were under half-strength at the end, while the Havocs (7 out of 10) and the Termies plus the HQs were still alive. I lost the Dragons, Harlies, and one Serpent.
So I claimed victory: 17:3.

Second Game (hold with 3 markers) vs. Space Marines:
My opponent fielded 2 Termie squad squads led by Epistolaries, 2 Termie squads, 2 las/plas squads, 3 Tornados, and 1 Predator Annihilator, i.e., 11 assault cannons. All Termies were deployed, no deep strikers. There was a large piece of height 3 terrain in the centre. His Termies, all at one flank, marched forward to get into range, while I moved away from them towards the centre targeting Termie after Termie squad. All Termies got destroyed by the Falcons, Dragons, and Harlies, while the DAs took on the shooty tacticals and the Serpents and Vypers targeted the Tornados. At the end, he had lost all but one Tornado (scoring) while most of my army was intact.
I claimed Victory again: 20:0.

Third game (seek and destroy) vs. Death Guard.
My opponent, a moderator of FanWorld, had 2 Lash Princes, 1 Greater Daemon, 1 Chosen squad, 2 Plague Marine squads in Rhinos, 2x2 Obliterators, 1 Predator Destructor.
Well, I took out the Rhinos in first turn, and killed the Obliterators early in the game. His Chosen delivered the GD in the centre and got supported by the PM squads. Frankly, he put a lot of pressure on my army. He rolled really good so that all Falcons got immobilized. My only chance was an immediate counter-strike. And this counter-strike was really deadly. One of his DPs survived with 3 wounds, while I had still the standard troops incl Serpents, Doomseer, and the Vypers.
I claimed victory again: 13:7, but it was really a tough game.

Fourth game (recon) vs. Death Guard.
My opponent, a nice guy, had 1 Nurgle DP, 1 Tzeentch DP, 1 Greater Daemon, 2x14 Plague Marines, 5 Bikers, and 3x10 Daemons. This army was easy to outmaneuver. The Bikers delivered 10 Daemons and the GD early in the game into my deployment zone, while my army moved towards one flank. The DP with MoT targeted one of my Serpents but failed in cc. In return, I shot down this DP, the GD, and the delivered 10 Daemons. The Harlies killed the Bikers. I also managed to shoot down 10 PM from one squad so that this unit was no longer scoring. This PM squad took down one Serpent and the Daemons killed the entangled DAs. At the end he moved his units as far away as possible from my units, possibly to enter a draw. But for him this was out of reach.
I claimed victory: 13:7.

NB: He summoned the Daemons after the squad with the Icon Bearer moved. In this way, he was able to charge the Doomseer with Daemons summoned from the PMs. I was told later that this is wrong. The Daemons should be summoned before the squad with the Icon Bearer can move. Right?

Fifth game (hold the centre) vs. Death Guard.
This guy was very young but he knew what to do. He had 1 Lash DP, 1 winged Lash Sorcerer, 2 Plague Marine squads in Rhinos, 2 small Daemon packs, and 3x3 Obliterators.
This game was a nightmare. I had only one smaller piece of height 3 terrain in my deployment zone, sparse terrain on the board, and he started the game.
He was able to immobilize one Falcon (Harlies mounted), and my army headed towards one flank to approach his front ranks. My rolling was rather bad (12 shots by the Dragons, 4 hits). The Harlies took on one PM squad decimating them below half strength (with some help from shooting). At the end he had one scoring Obliterator squad and the DP in the center, while my two remaining Falcons scored. But I suffered from more losses.
So I lost (but not as horrible as I thought): 7:13.

Well, up to the last game, this guy was nervous and unfriendly, the games were really fun, my army performed very well.
I ended up 6th ranked, 48 players. The best 15 plus best-painted are qualified the finals in October.

The Heat winner played Orks, fully footslogging, 184 models. Three other Eldar armies, all with Eldrad, performed well, too. The rest was a bit unspecific, the rankings from position 8 on changed heavily from game to game.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 08:21:32 AM by Wuestenfux »

Offline YuenglingDragon

• Lazerous Penguin
  • I'm a beer dragon!
Re: GT Heat 1 (German) - Short Report
« Reply #1 on: April 9, 2008, 12:21:53 PM »
Well done, Westenfux.  Startling number of PM heavy armies in your area.  That 5th guy with dual Lash was really taking advantage of the lack of comp scoring.
Proposition beslubber wins by a landslide!  I'm the 2008 Space Marine poster of the year.

Don't listen to the drunk dragon...

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #2 on: April 9, 2008, 12:59:52 PM »
NO, the lesser daemons MUST come in, before the bikers move...so shame on him for not knowing his own rules, or just ignoring them...

Very cool, I wish I could go to these events...

But, I kinda knew how well you were going to do, just based on the list...

And seriously... no changing up the mission levels is just...IMO, stupid... as a commander you should respond to a fight, not dumbing it down so that gamma is the only mission used...

I found it funny you played against all MEQ's, and a majority of Chaos players...were you hopeing for something else ...

Also... WTF, people call their armies Deathguard...couple d with their lists...damn... you know what, they all deserved to lose, Grandfather Nurgle was not happy...

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline g00gle5

• Organisers Never Prosper
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I would.
    • Promethean Games
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Necrons, Dark Eldar
« Reply #3 on: April 9, 2008, 04:35:56 PM »
Good job, Wuestenfux, they all sounded like brilliant games, well fought through.

A very experienced WH Fantasy player.

Shame it doesn't always extrapolate to 40k :P

NB: He summoned the Daemons after the squad with the Icon Bearer moved. In this way, he was able to charge the Doomseer with Daemons summoned from the PMs. I was told later that this is wrong. The Daemons should be summoned before the squad with the Icon Bearer can move. Right?

In a way, I'm surprised you didn't know this, Wuestenfux, as I know you are a very well seasoned competitive player. If there any other armies you aren't familiar with before the finals in October I suggest you have a read through their codexes so you can call an opponent if they try something like this again. I'd be quite aggravated if when I got home I found out I had lost a game because someone wasn't responsibly playing their army correctly. 

How did your Vypers perform, I don't think you mentioned them once throughout any of your battles? Are you allowed to change your list in October? If not, are you able to check the results of the other heats so you have a good idea what codexes to read up on to make sure you can call any unsportman-like individuals?

Anyway, good, short reports and well played, can't wait to hear more!

Battle Reports | Wargaming Articles | Shop

Offline Wuestenfux

• Ancient
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 01:59:34 AM »
I found it funny you played against all MEQ's, and a majority of Chaos players...were you hopeing for something else ...
Nids were on my list. But they never showed up in the top 6 during the tournament.
(You know that in each round, the first battles the second, third takes on the fourth, and so on).

NO, the lesser daemons MUST come in, before the bikers move...so shame on him for not knowing his own rules, or just ignoring them...
In a way, I'm surprised you didn't know this, ...
Well, I haven't played vs a new-codex Chaos army with Daemons. So I was not really aware of the summoning rule. On the other hand, I read all the codices and thus I should have known the rule. Shame on me, too.

How did your Vypers perform, I don't think you mentioned them once throughout any of your battles? Are you allowed to change your list in October? If not, are you able to check the results of the other heats so you have a good idea what codexes to read up on to make sure you can call any unsportman-like individuals?
The Vypers and Serpents did very well. The point is if you put pressure on the enemy he will be busy targetting the Falcons leaving the other skimmers untouched. The Vypers did a great job. If I remember well, I lost one and only one Vyper in the games 2, 3, and 5, and I lost one and only one Serpent in the games 1, 4, and 5, while I lost 1 Falcon in game 5 and all Falcons in game 3. Thus in each game, my skimmers ruled the sky.
The final will be played at the 2000 pts level; that means, 250 pts more. I will wait and see how many MEQ and horde armies (Orks) will enter the finals, and then I will upgrade the list.

Psychic powers: My Doomseer had runes forcing the enemy psyker to make psychic tests with 3D6. I was surprised to see that my opponents hardly used psychic powers. (In game 1, there was one Sorcerer, not using powers. In game 2, I faced two Epistolary with fota, casting it once. In game 3, my opponent had 2 Lash DPs, but used no powers. In game 4, my opponent was casting warp time once. In game 5, the opponent had two lash HQ's, no powers used).
These runes are a must-have in each competitive Eldar army.

Here is the ranking of the armies that came to the finals. All Eldar armies but mine were led by Eldrad.

1. Orks
2. Necrons
3. Chaos Space Marines
4. Eldar
5. Eldar
6. Eldar
7. Eldar
8. Black Templars
9.  Eldar
10. Chaos Space Marines
11. Space Marines
12. Necrons
13. Eldar
14. Space Marines
15. Space Marines
16. Space Marines

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 08:30:26 AM by Wuestenfux »

Offline Kaminari

• Don't need Farseers
  • Scouting...
Re: GT Heat 1 (German) - Report
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 01:55:09 PM »
Congrats!
3 Tyranid players in the whole heat, none of them qualifying was a big surprise to me. Not a single Dark Eldar player, but 6 Necrons around.

Have the other games around you encountered only as few vehicles as you did as well?

From the photographs the terrains truly seems to be of various quality, sometimes only hills and almost no cover (e.g. the the muddy snow table).  :-\ Looks like I will leave most of my Rangers at home...
Expecting the results for Heat 2 before finally sending in my army list for No 3.  ;D

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 03:07:30 PM »
Congrats on the victories and the placing. I agree with you that RoWard are a must have for psycher supression. I too run Mech Eldar, although I use JB's and Spears instead of Serpents and no Harlies.

For your 250 pts of upgrade you should seriously consider and Autarch on JB (140-155) to make sure you cover escalation, and then just add more dakka in the way of Vyper/JB's...

I would also be interested in seeing the points, upgrade breakdown for your list, if you don't mind as this can often change the whole playstyle.

Hi moc065,

I'd be interested to see how you would rate my army played at the GT Heat 1:

Doomseer w/ jetbike, spear, runes of warding
2x 6 FDs
1x 6 Harlies incl Shadowseer, all with kisses
10 DAs
10 DAs incl Exarch w/ bladestorm, dual shuricat
2x Serpent w/ sc, st, ve
2x Vyper w/ sc x2
3x Falcon w/ sc x2, st, hf, ve

1750 pts

Enjoy,
WF

moc-score

1.. Anti-tank potential: Every unit has some sort of anti-tank potential; FD's & Seer have dedicated and all the others with side/rear armour potential (at least with their vehicles), and the the whole army has mobility. I do see some areas for slight improvement but overall I would say its Very Good (.9)
2.. Anti-MEQ potential: Rending, AP=1 shooting, Mass shooting and plenty of high str shots as well. It could certainly be better, but overall its Very Good (.9)
3.. Anti-Horde potential: Now here I see some real room for improvement, as the FD's could have a flamer, etc. I still think it has decent potential due to its Mass fire potential, but overall I only see it as Above Average (.7)
4.. Ranged Firepower potential: Highly mobile with a decent amount of ranged shooting, it could be improved easily enough though so overall I see it as being Good (.8 )
5.. Assault potential: Where ? No seriously, 1 squad of Harlequins (only 6 at that) does not make for decent Assault potential. I know it has "Holding" power, and its mobility & shooting will help a lot; but this area certainly could use some attention, thus I rate it as Slightly Below Average (.5)
6.. Scoring Units / point level: Anytime you have Serpent squads you eat up a lot of points, so it was a good off-set to have a couple of cheap units in there to get a few more Scoring Units, as 10 Scoring units at this points level is actually Excellent (1)
7.. Durability or Resilience: Vypers & Serpents are fragile, while the rest is quite solid, so here you have a nice offset as well, thus overall I actually think its Good (.8 )
8.. Flexibility: I can function against most enemy races, but at present you will have issues with Hordes and seriously dedicated and fast Close Combat armies. Overall though I still think its Good (.8 )
9.. Mission Capability: Escalation !!! "Defender" missions, and such will hurt this list; but otherwise I would say its quite capable for most uses and as such its actually Above Average (.7)
10. Dynamics and/or Theme: The theme is obviously Mech Eldar and the synergy is obvious at a glance. I do see some overly predictable things but I still rate it as Very Good (.9 )

Rating = 8/10 Others will score it differently; but I actually see this list as having more potential on the Battle Field than it has on paper. I do have some simple suggestions to make it even more solid, and for its build up to the 2K level.

My suggested List upgrades and why

Autarch on Jetbike, Mandiblaster, Laser Lance and Fusion Gun (+140)
     I would add this guy for Escalation purposes, enhancement to CC ability, and dedicated anti-tank potential when needed.
     I like this guy being "lightweight" and I feel that he is very well suited for use within this army.
2x 6 FDs: Exarchs with Dragons Breath Flamer and Crackshot (+34 total)
     I love these units and I only added the DBF's as they add some serious mutilpurpose potential to the units (hordes, tought infantry, etc). It would help with some of the problem areas while not detracting from anything else. 
1x 6 Harlies: Shadowseer, all with kisses; Troupe Master with PW (+16)
     OK I added the TM as its gets them 1 extra attack, improves their LD, and against certain enemies it really does enhance their CC potential.
10 DA Exarch w/Bladestorm, PW & Shimmer Shield (+37)
     OK, I upgrades this unit to include an Exarch and I also made it to be more of a "Holding" or resilience unit that to be an outrigth shootig unit, as I think the list needs some help in CC but I didn't want to actually add whole new units that may detract from its synergy. 
10 DAs: Exarch w/ bladestorm, Duel Cats
     No change as their fine.
2x Serpent w/ sc, st, ve
     I like this config for use with the DA, and as such I don't think they need changes.
2x Vyper w/ Scat/sc (+20)
     I would rather the Scatter/SC varient. Now the reasoning behind this change is simple, and yes I know you will loose a little AP=potential; but the added shot and range are huge in the early game (huniting enemy light vehicles) and in regarde to VP Denial this varient has a way better chance of actually surviving the game.
     I didn't make any changes here, as I too see these as "Transports" first and the guns are just an added bonus for the few times they get to actually shoot. I have also found that VE's are indespencable as Entangled units are "Dead Meat" 8/10 times.

Now that adds 247pts to your original list, and it shoulc actually give the list some increases to its weaker areas without actually changing whole units or derailing its synergy.

Sorry, I know that was long, and I do appolagize... its just that I did see your list as being very good to start and I think it deserved a little respect and time to ensure that it does enven better in the future. Now, a with a few minor changes it could turn it into a rock solid contender, for use against almost anything and in almost any environment ro table conditions.

CaHG
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 07:11:10 AM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Wuestenfux

• Ancient
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 02:11:02 PM »
Congrats!
3 Tyranid players in the whole heat, none of them qualifying was a big surprise to me. Not a single Dark Eldar player, but 6 Necrons around.

Have the other games around you encountered only as few vehicles as you did as well?

From the photographs the terrains truly seems to be of various quality, sometimes only hills and almost no cover (e.g. the the muddy snow table).  :-\ Looks like I will leave most of my Rangers at home...
Expecting the results for Heat 2 before finally sending in my army list for No 3.  ;D
Well, I was also surprised to see only 3 Nids players. The terrain was qualitatively very good but the size 3 terrain was rather sparse. There was one tank heavy DH army and some armies with two or three Preds. Rhinos were used by Chaos armies, mostly filled with Death Guard Marines.
It is wise to finish the army list after you know the results of heat 2. Expect more Ork armies.

Congrats on the victories and the placing. I agree with you that RoWard are a must have for psycher supression. I too run Mech Eldar, although I use JB's and Spears instead of Serpents and no Harlies.

For your 250 pts of upgrade you should seriously consider and Autarch on JB (140-155) to make sure you cover escalation, and then just add more dakka in the way of Vyper/JB's...

I would also be interested in seeing the points, upgrade breakdown for your list, if you don't mind as this can often change the whole playstyle.

CaHG

The whole GT is played at the gamma level, so no escalation. I thought about an Autarch but first want to know the outcomes of heat 2 and 3. If several Ork armies enter the final, I need more dakka. If more MEQ armies enter, I possibly take Shining Spears.
Well, the list is the following:
2x 6 FDs
1x 6 Harlies incl Shadowseer, all with kisses
10 DAs
10 DAs incl Exarch w/ bladestorm, dual shuricat
2x Serpent w/ sc, st, ve
2x Vyper w/ sc x2

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 07:16:03 AM »
OK, I rated your list, and made some suggestions for you as well. Oh and I know that the GT will all be without Escalation; but I still advocate for the Autarch I suggested as he sticks with the Synergy of the list you have, while still adding to your "Strat" rating, adding to your CC potential, and adding to your Anti-tank potential.

I hope that the rating and rundown helps you out. And at this oint I guess its obvious that I also added the list to "The Big List of Eldar Lists".

You must continue to keep us informed of your decision on the final list, and how things go for you at teh GT. And don't be shy, why actually like Long BatReps, with Pics or diagrams..... My final thought is "Good Luck, and go kick some Mon-Keigh Arse !"

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Wuestenfux

• Ancient
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 10:55:03 AM »
Thanks for rating my GT list and adding to 'The Big List of Eldar Lists'.
1.. Anti-tank potential: Every unit has some sort of anti-tank potential; FD's & Seer have dedicated and all the others with side/rear armour potential (at least with their vehicles), and the the whole army has mobility. I do see some areas for slight improvement but overall I would say its Very Good (.9)
2.. Anti-MEQ potential: Rending, AP=1 shooting, Mass shooting and plenty of high str shots as well. It could certainly be better, but overall its Very Good (.9)
3.. Anti-Horde potential: Now here I see some real room for improvement, as the FD's could have a flamer, etc. I still think it has decent potential due to its Mass fire potential, but overall I only see it as Above Average (.7)
4.. Ranged Firepower potential: Highly mobile with a decent amount of ranged shooting, it could be improved easily enough though so overall I see it as being Good (.8 )
5.. Assault potential: Where ? No seriously, 1 squad of Harlequins (only 6 at that) does not make for decent Assault potential. I know it has "Holding" power, and its mobility & shooting will help a lot; but this area certainly could use some attention, thus I rate it as Slightly Below Average (.5)
6.. Scoring Units / point level: Anytime you have Serpent squads you eat up a lot of points, so it was a good off-set to have a couple of cheap units in there to get a few more Scoring Units, as 10 Scoring units at this points level is actually Excellent (1)
7.. Durability or Resilience: Vypers & Serpents are fragile, while the rest is quite solid, so here you have a nice offset as well, thus overall I actually think its Good (.8 )
8.. Flexibility: I can function against most enemy races, but at present you will have issues with Hordes and seriously dedicated and fast Close Combat armies. Overall though I still think its Good (.8 )
9.. Mission Capability: Escalation !!! "Defender" missions, and such will hurt this list; but otherwise I would say its quite capable for most uses and as such its actually Above Average (.7)
10. Dynamics and/or Theme: The theme is obviously Mech Eldar and the synergy is obvious at a glance. I do see some overly predictable things but I still rate it as Very Good (.9 )
I agree with the rating. It elaborates the weaknesses of the army: anti-horde potential, at least a bit weaker than average (.8), and assault potential (.5). Of course I was aware of this.
I went to the 1. Heat and was absolutely sure that not too many Ork armies will show up, because the new codex was released in January. In fact, only 2 Ork armies participated.
Due to the smaller pt level (1750 pts), I tried to maximize shooting and mobility potential.

My suggested List upgrades and why

Autarch on Jetbike, Mandiblaster, Laser Lance and Fusion Gun (+140)
     I would add this guy for Escalation purposes, enhancement to CC ability, and dedicated anti-tank potential when needed.
     I like this guy being "lightweight" and I feel that he is very well suited for use within this army.
2x 6 FDs: Exarchs with Dragons Breath Flamer and Crackshot (+34 total)
     I love these units and I only added the DBF's as they add some serious mutilpurpose potential to the units (hordes, tought infantry, etc). It would help with some of the problem areas while not detracting from anything else.
1x 6 Harlies: Shadowseer, all with kisses; Troupe Master with PW (+16)
     OK I added the TM as its gets them 1 extra attack, improves their LD, and against certain enemies it really does enhance their CC potential.
10 DA Exarch w/Bladestorm, PW & Shimmer Shield (+37)
     OK, I upgrades this unit to include an Exarch and I also made it to be more of a "Holding" or resilience unit that to be an outrigth shootig unit, as I think the list needs some help in CC but I didn't want to actually add whole new units that may detract from its synergy.
10 DAs: Exarch w/ bladestorm, Duel Cats
     No change as their fine.
2x Serpent w/ sc, st, ve
     I like this config for use with the DA, and as such I don't think they need changes.
2x Vyper w/ Scat/sc (+20)
     I would rather the Scatter/SC varient. Now the reasoning behind this change is simple, and yes I know you will loose a little AP=potential; but the added shot and range are huge in the early game (huniting enemy light vehicles) and in regarde to VP Denial this varient has a way better chance of actually surviving the game.
     I didn't make any changes here, as I too see these as "Transports" first and the guns are just an added bonus for the few times they get to actually shoot. I have also found that VE's are indespencable as Entangled units are "Dead Meat" 8/10 times.

Now that adds 247pts to your original list, and it shoulc actually give the list some increases to its weaker areas without actually changing whole units or derailing its synergy.
Great suggestions. I definitely will add the Autarch to the 2000 pts list.
The upgrades for Harlies (TM), DAs (Exarchs and powers), and FDs (Exarchs), Vypers (scatterlasers) are definitely useful, I'll think about them.

Finally, I'll keep you informed about the performance of the list (at the GT finals).

« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 11:03:36 AM by Wuestenfux »

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 05:38:17 PM »
Your list has been selected for inclusion in the Big List of Eldar Lists project! You will be receiving a score from me using the 5/5 system as outlined in the Big List of Eldar Lists in the stickies on this board. Following is the critique I have given:

Background: .5
Would like a little more info about how the list came into being. Seeing the results speak volumes about the unit selection, but knowing the process of creating a list to handle the tournament scene would be quite beneficial for our newer members seeking to produce similar results in their own games. Also would be good to see the points totals of each unit.

Composition: .5
This score is largely due to the lack of presence of a secondary combat unit. You've covered other bases well, and while the list is bottom-heavy, the points spread is probably similar to that present in the troops sections, so it's not as big a deal. You do have plenty of damage to deal to horde infantry and MEQ alike in your shooting phase. I suspect once the new Ork army is better understood, such a list may have trouble vs the sheer numbers of troops you might encounter, but then, you can take into account that most of your tournament rivals are statistically unlikely to be Orks. I have mixed feelings about how you've built this list, but I have to say, it is a pretty competent army for a no-comp tourney, especially considering what people are likely to throw at you in return.

Utility: .5
Glad Moc included that quote; I almost missed it, and wouldn't have been able to rate this section at all  ;). That being the case though, you should always describe how your units are configured - a unit of 6 harlies in a falcon with no kisses or shadowseer plays very differently than one with 6 kisses and a seer! As a last point, shcn and stcn are better than sc as a weapon abreviation, as both star cannons and shuriken cannons could be interpreted as sc.

What I do have to say is that you have not upgraded most of your squads much at all, relying [in most cases] on their innate abilities and a few carefully selected upgrades. You have of course buried your three falcons in upgrades but that's to be expected from this sort of army. I think some selectivity might have improved the quantity of units you could field; that being said, it's not terrible considering the kind of game you chose to play [utilizing VP denial]. I think it's pretty average in this department.

Flexibility: .5
You have a good number of units [fire dragons, vypers, avengers, serpents] that have targets beyond their capabilities. Because of this, it is possible to imagine a situation [three monoliths, enemy Eldar, dred bash, biker army] where quite a few of your squads would suffer. Fortunately these are not likely to be seen at a tournament [though I have no idea why, as they throw terrible wrenches into a lot of standard tournament builds], so lucky draws can get you past some of these complications. Still, with careful target selection it could be easy for the right opponent to rip the teeth out of your force. A little more variety, or a few more flexible upgrades, might be a good way to improve this force.

Ingenuity: .5
One gets a vague idea about how this force is implemented by reading your post, but I think it's hard to envision how the tactics used were implemented on the tabletop. Things such as this:

My only chance was an immediate counter-strike. And this counter-strike was really deadly.

while they make for entertaining reading [which is important, don't get me wrong!] do not give a good idea of how the counterstrike was effective and what made it effective, or how you pulled it off. Many players could benefit from knowing how to turn misfortune into a win, especially by a good margin of victory. Consider elaborating more on the application of your force for lists where reviews are sought if possible.

Total Score: 2.5, for an average list.
What really hurt you here is the lack of explanation. It seems you rely on the reader's understanding of an Eldar army to do your work for you. However, when newer members [or older ones who haven't used lists like this, such as myself!] read about your army, it is hard to understand what makes it work. I think more explanation is needed as you make your points, to paint a clearer picture for the reader.

On another note, congrats on placing in the finals! Kick some mon-keigh for us!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 11:41:03 AM by Gutstikk »