News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Skitarii - Who Cares?  (Read 28132 times)

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
Re: Skitarii - Who Cares?
« Reply #40 on: April 6, 2015, 11:33:10 AM »
Huu i never though about it that way. I don't know much about the 40k world fluff need to work on that. don't have the rules book so that doesn't help.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2015, 01:54:32 PM by Grizzlykin »
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #41 on: April 6, 2015, 01:52:48 PM »
It occurs to me that whilst the weapons the Skitarri wield are nasty, they will probably be a very small force overall.  Factor in their IG toughness, and they'll definitely be a glass cannon force.  This all sounds very similar to the Scions.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #42 on: April 6, 2015, 03:35:24 PM »
"This 80-page, full-colour hardback book contains:..."

It's almost as if they give product info on their website. ;)

Whereas I'm not fussed about the Skitarii themselves, it's making me excited for what else may come in the future. I was all over the Harlequins and have built up a 1500 point army which I can break down for Allies; what I'd really be stoked about in the future is Adeptus Arbites...
Give me plastic Arbites and a Codex (of any size!) and I'll be a happy man!

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #43 on: April 6, 2015, 04:10:58 PM »
may you enlighten me about those adptus arbites you mention what are they in short?  they are imperium faction that i can understand but what's more ? 

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #44 on: April 6, 2015, 04:13:50 PM »
Think of the Arbites as local law enforcement with a more military aspect. More along the lines of Judge Dredd than CHIPS. The Arbites enforce Imperial law but on a local scale.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #45 on: April 6, 2015, 04:19:31 PM »
may you enlighten me about those adptus arbites you mention what are they in short?  they are imperium faction that i can understand but what's more ?

They're basically the FBI of the Imperium.  All Imperial planets are responsible for enforcing their own laws, but the Adeptus Arbites enforce the Emperors law.  Arbiters are trained in the same facilities as the Storm Troopers, Commissars, Sisters of Battle and even Inquisitors so they're pretty elite.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2015, 04:27:45 PM by Tangi »

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #46 on: April 6, 2015, 04:48:29 PM »
well so they are the badass police of the 40k universe for the imperium...  then what would they fight against if i'm not being rude by asking this, heretics? chaos? genestealer cult? (if they ever see the light). Could they potentially be something like a special allied detachment to all imperium faction that would on this moment be short on troops or somethings?  not that i'm against it but i would have a hard time imagining them being an army as i have a hard time seeing what they would face off against...  wait never mind while i was tipping i thought they can be the first line of defense against any xeno trying to take over an imperium world so they would have some enemy to fight :D would like to see what it would look like then.

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #47 on: April 6, 2015, 04:51:41 PM »
Grizzlykin, might I suggest you read into the Imperial Fluff a bit? I will send you a PM with link, can't do it here since that would be advertising other websites. You might really enjoy most of the stuff you'll find there. The Empire is busy keeping it's citizens under control and cults of all kinds would exactly be the kind of enemies that the arbites face.
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #48 on: April 6, 2015, 04:53:06 PM »
That's probably why they haven't been featured in the main game in years (since 2nd ed. I think).  They're a police force, not an army.  When they're fighting it's usually because the planet is about to fall.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #49 on: April 6, 2015, 05:09:49 PM »
If you want to discuss the arbites,  please take it to the background or lost and the damned forums.  Time to get back on topic of the skitarii
« Last Edit: April 6, 2015, 05:38:19 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #50 on: April 6, 2015, 05:15:52 PM »
Yes, Skitarri.

I've yet to see any proper HQ choices for them.  I know that the priests in charge do command them from the rear in ships via a data cloud, but I'm assuming that there has to be some sort of field commander too.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #51 on: April 6, 2015, 05:16:13 PM »
Yup, follow GML's directions; and go read the actual background. "localised police force" "not an army". Psshh, rubbish!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: April 6, 2015, 05:20:59 PM »
I've yet to see any proper HQ choices for them.  I know that the priests in charge do command them from the rear in ships via a data cloud, but I'm assuming that there has to be some sort of field commander too.

Certainly hope so as comms based command structures have an unfortunate habit of being jammed. Even in the haphazard world tech of 40K. Increasingly so when Chaos starts to get involved in the mucking about of things.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #53 on: April 6, 2015, 05:24:30 PM »
wuups sorry about that, will make sure i do as you all suggest, feel free to refere some things by mp ^^

Yep we have yet to see any hq choice but that would also be a pocibility that they don't have anything. I mean, if i'm not mistaken, harlequin don't have HQ choice right ? i don't know i don't own the harli codex. So if that's the case i would not be surprised to see other new armies not getting one.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #54 on: April 6, 2015, 05:27:34 PM »

Certainly hope so as comms based command structures have an unfortunate habit of being jammed. Even in the haphazard world tech of 40K. Increasingly so when Chaos starts to get involved in the mucking about of things.

Exactly.  If they don't, they might that in certain situations their fancy army may end up like the droids from The Phantom Menace.  I know...spoilers.  :P

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: April 6, 2015, 05:30:46 PM »
It also lends itself in a more material based universe to find an anti-radiation missile heading straight towards your commanders as they keep squawking across the bandwidth. One of the Tau novels had this happen to an Imperial command post that forgot to shut up quickly and/or often enough.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2015, 01:02:56 PM »
My copy of the Codex arrived today.  The artwork is pretty good and the fluff and rules aren't too bad either.  There's two bits that particularly made me laugh.  The Ironstrider walkers?  The Admech sometimes use them to run on treadmills to power bigger machines, like hamsters or something.  And the Dunestriders?  They're derived from the Mars Universal Land Engine, which in turn is a machine based upon the 'ancient insectiod beasts of burden' believed to have been used by early settlers.  A Futurama reference perhaps? 

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2015, 06:35:16 PM »
Wht do you think of them fightkng mower wise, from what i know they are monstruously good/very godlike in shooting, help them the similary imperial order and the ridicullus rules on their gun ^^ looking forward to see some battle report coming in^^ is there other people with the codex? What do you guy's think of it?
Are the formation intresting?  If there is?
Are the unit potent?
Do you see them more as sandalone or allies?

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »
There are some BRUTALLY powerful new units in there. I like it... its good to see the more esoteric aspects of the Imperium come into the game with some real power at their disposal. I feel like GW has been a little gun-shy with the smaller factions but both Harlies and Skitarri have the ability to rule entire phases of the game while also having some more subtle tricks up their sleeve that capitalize on obscure aspects of the games mechanics.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2015, 09:25:51 PM »
The Skitarii can certainly be a stand alone army (more so than Scions).  They have some scary and cool hard core sci fi weaponry.  And the formations are not bad at all.  Only thing is, not count on being able to form a combined arms detachment of Skitarii.

I'm really happy with what GW has done with them and I can't wait to see what obscure faction they work on next!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:30:19 PM by Skitarii Tangi »