News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What would it take to storm the Imperial Palace?  (Read 66562 times)

Offline Dr. Ravingburger

• Ork Boy | No stranger to love.
What would it take to storm the Imperial Palace?
« on: December 3, 2005, 10:39:50 PM »
Today, I am asking what you think it would take to take over the Imperial Palace. You post your race, and the numbers/equipment you would need. Posts such as this are not welcomed: Race: Eldar, 1 Guardian with nothing. Instead try to do it like this:
Space Marines
1,500 Marines. 50 Lascannons, 100 Multi-Meltas/Meltaguns, Lots of Krak Grenades and Meltabombs, Missile Launchers and Plasma Weapons, All Terminators with chainfists, and Vindicators, also Land Raiders would help.
(This is what I think it would take.)

Offline chaos0xomega

• Hilary Clinton FTW!
  • Fabricator-General of being banned.
Re: What would it take to storm the Imperial Palace?
« Reply #1 on: December 3, 2005, 11:03:32 PM »
You sir would die a horrible death, try this:

999 trillion Tau Manta's, each loaded with 4 hammerheads of varying configuration, at least 150 firewarriors, and 3 crisis suits with varying configurations. In orbit: Everything the tau fleet has * 600 trillion

Or every Titan in the Imperial and Chaos arsenal, that should do it.
BANNED!
This user has been banned for regular breaches of Forum rules.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #2 on: December 3, 2005, 11:10:01 PM »
well think, if half the marine legions couldnt storm the palace successfully, how can one army do it?

but ok, lets give it a shot.

7000 marines.  1000 lascannons.  1000 melta's.  1000 terminators with chainfists.  100 titans.  10 imperator class titans (even though only 2 exist and they just so happen to defend the palace.) and probably about 100 land raiders, 200 annihilators, and 600 vindicators.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline GeneticDaemon

« Reply #3 on: December 3, 2005, 11:28:31 PM »
BTW Lomendalis, what you said wouldn't be half of what was storming Earth in the Horus Heresy (well, in my imagination at least)

Mucho Mucho Orks, 1000s and 1000s of big shootas/rokkit/kustom mega blastas, mucho mucho mucho grots, 100s of space hulks in orbit

or

all the eldar (counting all variants) in the universe, with all spirit stones put into wraithguards/lords (not fluffy though)

or

4-5 full nids hive fleets, maybe more?

Offline TheOnlySpiral

• Keeper of the Book of Salvation; Last of the Timelords
  • Ancient
  • Returned from the Immaterium
  • Armies: Deathwing
« Reply #4 on: December 4, 2005, 12:21:00 AM »
Every Chapter of Space Marines.  Combined with at least 50% of the Titan Legions.  They would also need a large force of Navel vessels to keep them safe while inbound...at least 33% of a Segmentum Battlefleet.  Even then, it's iffy.  You have to fight your way in system, deal with Mars, and the defeneders on earth.  Even then there is a chance the Emperor himself might make manifest his well (as radical inquisitors belive he did within Thor). 
Quote from: David Holland
The Point of the Game is to be Playing it.

Quote from: Devern, The Unsung Hero
Actually, it pains me to say this, but Spiral is right.

Offline rogueviper

• The Last Canadian Pirate!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 4, 2005, 02:55:04 AM »
Well being a DE player myself I must say that the DE just couldn't do it. nor would they want too. B eing a nid player as well I belive that you win hands down if you got to terra. Now before too many imperial loyalist have heart attacks at the nerve of my commentary let me explain myself. if the nids should ever have gotten terra it would mean they crushed everything in their way and then recycled the bio matter to become even more powerful. thus, by the time a hive fleet or fleet of hive fleets reached terra they would already have crush most defenses. the imperial and space marine navies would be wasted after their attemps to keep the fleet from terra. Terra is the holiest place in all the imperium. Should an assault on the imperial palace occur then in my mind everything would have been thrown at the nids in order to keep them at bay. plus with the shadow over terra no one would have the emperor to guide them through the warp. thus no reinforcements. loyalists to the empire you are now free to counter attack.

Cheers

Mitch
Teamwork is necessary. It gives the enemy someone else to shoot.

Offline Farseer Ulthrion

• Hello All,
  • Ancient
    • In case anyone is wondering what I do at university
« Reply #6 on: December 4, 2005, 04:26:52 AM »
The question of course is: why would you want to storm the palace? If you would want to take out the throne with the emperor, then I'd say that a single corrupted inquisitor who happens to carry a demolition charge would be enough. I mean, Jaq Draco was in the throne room and saw the emperor in his throne. If he were corrupted he would be able to blow the throne to bits, problem solved.

Other than that, if you would actually want to destroy the palace, then I'd say that there is little use for thousands of marines etc. If you want to take out a palace like that, destroy the world! I thought that Abaddon's ship can take down a planet (if he can survive long enough to fire the nova cannon). Otherwise, some of the inquisitorial bombardments that take out all the life on a world with a virus would be nice, since that would effectively cleanse the world of all it's defenders.

Taking down the palace would in all aspects be a space battle and not so much a ground battle. Once enemies win a space battle, they can just continue to drop bombs on the palace until it is reduced to tiny little bits.

That's how I see it at least.

Farseer Ulthrion
"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."
-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Read about my  Daughters of the Martyred Lady (Sisters of Battle).
Check out my collection of Manga and Anime.

Offline Scorn

• Supreme Archon of Commorragh | Nasty Sky Juice | Title (and/or) Whore |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar
« Reply #7 on: December 4, 2005, 04:42:28 AM »
Abaddon's Planet Killer coudl indeed kill planet although as I recall it wasn't instantaneous now with a Nova Cannon.  However, the Emperor himself could always choose to take a hand and I think the power of a single ship or even a massive awe-inspiring fleet would fall before that kind of power.  Of course this would be assuming that the Emperor is capable of taking an active hand in such a fashion.

Out of curiousity if you're taking all these Space Marines and such against the Palace who is defending it, Imperial Guard and the Custodes?
Rejoice.  Despair. 
Fate does not care.
Each knotted mind entwined. 
Each soul another's bind.
And blind though we are led. 
In time we do know when, to cut a thread.
-Erfworld

Offline faithlessmonkeigh

• Dracon. Nope, no more title shenanigans.
  • let me!! judge you!!
« Reply #8 on: December 4, 2005, 05:13:57 AM »
come on guys - you are not doing it properly.

put some thought into it... twenty bissilion ctans and ummm - ahhh a really really big comet.

DE: (its not whether they would or can- but this is what they need)

They would take a large contingent of mandrakes: firstly though a Warrior squad would get on Terra through a captured shuttle think "return of the jedi"- they would find a shadowy location and activate a webway portal - the mandrakes would come through and massacre the local population.

The DE would use a large number of crucible of malaediction, and also alot of the other Anti Psycher weapons that the DE have at their disposal (im talking fluff here), they would get a hostage who works in the Imperial palace and threaten him some how - or brainwash him once inside... he would then open a second webway within the palace and it would be at this moment that all the warp beasts and Grotesques in Commoragh were realeased.... i think around some 30,000 + warp beasts and possibly triple that number of Grotesques... the Haemonculi would double their efforts at making them before the attack.
These would be backed up by small tactical squads of warriors with haywire greandes and blasters... basically equiped with weapons to deal with what the warp Beasts and Grots couldnt.... armoured doors and the like.
there would probably be some 10,000 tactical warriors.

next the DE would use all the captured slaves from terra as a second wave of a human meat sheilds..who knows have the haemonculus drug them up and attach bombs to them.

after this send in the bulk of your talos and troops and wyches to take the tactical positions in the palace.... make sure you have a steady supply of crucilbles of malaediction,
ensure that the Palace is locked down from the inside so theres no hope of reinforcement. keep all the Incubi and stronger veteran squads in the rear ready to use webway portals to get to any places where there is a custodian guard counter offensive.
there would haev to be a large usage of haywire grenades to knock out the atuomated defences of the Palace.

Finally when through to the throne room ... send in the taloi and sniper squads - who knows maybe you could fit in a couple of ravagers too.. the throne room is massive... throughout the invasion jet bike teams and Hellions would be used to counter the smaller attacks by the Guards and to initiate probing attacks at possible weakening locations.

Scourges would guard locations throughout the temple with Dark Lances

in the end there would be a final stand of custodian guard - they would be cut down by a converted ravager carrying all the Archons in commoragh!!!
bwahahahahhahahahah .

so: Kabals.... possibly every kabal would contribute in some way... there would be alot of need for general warriors and equipment.

WArriors: 120,000 tactical troops
300,000 reserves who can be called on to fill in for understrenght squads
100,000 of sniper squads and warrior raider squads
and 150,000 DE with CC weapons.

Warp Beasts: 30,000
Mandrakes: 90,000
Arena Wyches:  probably all of them: 15,000? maybe 20,000 at the most.
300 talos
JetBike Wyches: 8,000
Scourges with DL's 4,000
Hellions: 7,000

10 webway portals.
100 crucibles of malaediction
1,200 incubi (estimation of how many there are)
10,000 raiders
900 ravagers
mass amounts of monkeigh slaves...
12 Archons- maybe 40 Dracons

not sure how to beat the emperor though.... any advice?

this relies on Commoragh being at least as big as Mexico city... tens of millions of peole.

faithless
« Last Edit: December 4, 2005, 05:20:28 AM by faithlessmonkeigh »

...Aaaaaaaand you completely missed the point of the topic.  Thanks.
-Kyure -

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #9 on: December 4, 2005, 06:20:36 AM »
this relies on Commoragh being at least as big as Mexico city
  Notice how well they coher? The same can ber said here; even if they had the manpower and ambition they could never unite under a single rule or command long enough to pull it off, and those hundreds of thousands of Warriors are going to do exactly nothing at all once the planet-bound cannos open up into their lines, obliterating, indeed vaporising them. It's not like you can "sneak" onto Terra. It is the most heavily monitored planet in the galaxy, and with psykers scouring the globe to find the slightest hint of malice or infestation of chaos. The presence of webway-gates would be spotted and countered quickly enough.

If you want to take terra, or at least kill the emperor you need something NEW, something the Imperium have not prepared for, a cloaked assassin not relying on anything the Imperium has ever seen, with a 0-base psychic profile, and a lot more. It is not something we have seen in the fluff yet though.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
« Reply #10 on: December 4, 2005, 07:44:39 AM »
I mean, Jaq Draco was in the throne room and saw the emperor in his throne. I
Admittedly i didn't read the book, but didn't he only manage it with the Emperor's help? Wasn't there this "shining path" thing?

Offline chaos0xomega

• Hilary Clinton FTW!
  • Fabricator-General of being banned.
« Reply #11 on: December 4, 2005, 10:06:48 AM »
10 imperator class titans (even though only 2 exist and they just so happen to defend the palace.)

I am curious as to where you get that information. There are a lot more than 2 imperator titans in the galaxy. Gazkhull Mag Uruk Thraka destroyed an Imperator on Armageddon. ANd there have been other references to Imperators in novels and such that dont involve the two on Terra...
BANNED!
This user has been banned for regular breaches of Forum rules.

Offline Dr. Ravingburger

• Ork Boy | No stranger to love.
« Reply #12 on: December 4, 2005, 10:21:23 AM »
'd say that a single corrupted inquisitor who happens to carry a demolition charge would be enough.
You forget about the Adeptus Custodes, they will kill pretty much anyone who tries to get in.
Also, I read there are 2 Warhound Class Titans, not Imperatators. By the way, what are Imperatators? Also, keep in mind reinforcements will be coming. Terra isn't defenseless people.

Offline Help_plz

• Lament My Brothers, Our Time Is Gone...
« Reply #13 on: December 4, 2005, 10:25:49 AM »
The pure apparation of chaos should sort him out, not one of the "greater demons", but of the very gods of chaos them selves.

That, or a guardian with nothing at all... ;)

Offline 'Mark'

• Major
  • Run them to the ground!
« Reply #14 on: December 4, 2005, 11:02:32 AM »
'd say that a single corrupted inquisitor who happens to carry a demolition charge would be enough.
You forget about the Adeptus Custodes, they will kill pretty much anyone who tries to get in.
Also, I read there are 2 Warhound Class Titans, not Imperatators. By the way, what are Imperatators? Also, keep in mind reinforcements will be coming. Terra isn't defenseless people.

Imperator Titans, the biggest titans of them all. See a pic here.

Warhounds are scout titans, the smallest. They make up the bulk of the titan legions.

Offline Philip Bright

« Reply #15 on: December 4, 2005, 11:21:31 AM »
Would say it isn't enough Eldar in life to do it at this point (that the 40k game take place!)!
« Last Edit: December 4, 2005, 11:31:15 AM by Philip Bright »

Offline Dralith

• never say dice
  • Armies: Craftworld Bionerath and Badtoof's Moonstompas
« Reply #16 on: December 4, 2005, 11:27:08 AM »
What you want to do is just throw asteroids at the palace and keep going until there's just a big hole... a lá Heinlein's 'the moon is a harsh mistress'. On that note just hundreds of ork roks coming in and landing falling on it - in scores of waves, should do the trick.

As to reinforcements, who cares? the objective is storming the palace, noone said anything about holding it.

However what we're dealing with here, if the BBB can be trusted, is a complex the size of Western Europe... Pretty tricky.

How about the surviving Blackstones, plus or minus the Planet killer?
Virus bombing?
Exterminatus? That seems to sort out pretty much everything else.
If what we've heard about some of the stuff Mars has is true, the Adeptus Mechanicus could rip hell out of it...
A few of those weapons from the dark age of technology...
Bring back nukes! They turned Baal into a radioactive wasteland and fused whole deserts to glass man.
Open up a c-vector field and throw it down there. (I know, I know, they don't exist in 40k... or do they? What was that field the Arkan Land threw up in the Third War for Armageddon?) Send the whole thing off at right-angles to the speed of light. Bonus effect, having a palace land on them should put a stop to those damned higher-dimensional beings and their damned Brockian Ultra-cricket  :P.

Apart from chaos0xomega's Tau force and possibly the previously proposed orks none of your estimates are anywhere near even one million men. I must say that sounds pretty silly to me.

Of course one would THINK that you could teleport a few marine first companies right into the middle of the place. Strange that the Heresy force, with supposed 'siege masters' the Iron Warriors and the 'tactical genius' of Horus and whatnot would go for a ground-based frontal assault. How dumb can you get? On the ground you're vulnerable. Stay in orbit! And at least if you do drop, don't podfall in front of the ultimate gate, for god's sakes. How hard is it to get inside walls when you're deploying from space? If the defenders don't have the capability to stop you landing outside the palace then they can't stop you landing on it. Bloody fools deserved to lose.

Even better idea! Drop the moon on it  :o
And Oromë loved the Quendi, and named them in their own tongue Eldar, the people of the stars.

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #17 on: December 4, 2005, 11:35:29 AM »
WArriors: 120,000 tactical troops
300,000 reserves who can be called on to fill in for understrenght squads
100,000 of sniper squads and warrior raider squads
and 150,000 DE with CC weapons.

Warp Beasts: 30,000
Mandrakes: 90,000
Arena Wyches:  probably all of them: 15,000? maybe 20,000 at the most.
300 talos
JetBike Wyches: 8,000
Scourges with DL's 4,000
Hellions: 7,000

10 webway portals.
100 crucibles of malaediction
1,200 incubi (estimation of how many there are)
10,000 raiders
900 ravagers
mass amounts of monkeigh slaves...
12 Archons- maybe 40 Dracons

No chance. That wouldn't even take down a planet like Armageddon, nevermind the Imperial Palace and, indeed, Terra itself.

You can't put numbers on it at all. Remember, it took 4 Traitor Legions - Key word being LEGIONS Led by Primarchs, backed up by Imperial Guard, Mutants, Spawn, and all manner of abominations months to chew through the Palace.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #18 on: December 4, 2005, 11:55:11 AM »
Exterminatus? That seems to sort out pretty much everything else.
    That is not a quick process; it would hinge on you being undisturbed in orbit for a longer period of time, at least a few days, if not weeks or months. That is not likely as you would be battling all of Terra's fleets.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2005, 12:57:12 PM by Rasmus »

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline 'Mark'

• Major
  • Run them to the ground!
« Reply #19 on: December 4, 2005, 12:40:45 PM »
Of course one would THINK that you could teleport a few marine first companies right into the middle of the place. Strange that the Heresy force, with supposed 'siege masters' the Iron Warriors and the 'tactical genius' of Horus and whatnot would go for a ground-based frontal assault. How dumb can you get? On the ground you're vulnerable. Stay in orbit! And at least if you do drop, don't podfall in front of the ultimate gate, for god's sakes. How hard is it to get inside walls when you're deploying from space? If the defenders don't have the capability to stop you landing outside the palace then they can't stop you landing on it. Bloody fools deserved to lose.

Shields? The Imperial Palace has massive void and psychic shields, you can't penetrate those that easily from space. You probably can't destroy them at all by firepower, and they're no way you're going to teleport through them... It takes a ground assault to capture the Imperial palace.

Also, the Imperial palace doesn't have just 'walls' around some buildings, it's mostly a closed structure, so you can't just drop in inside the walls. There's no way you're going to be blasting your way through the roof either... Pretty much the only way into the palace was through the gate, so they didn't have much of a choice.