News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: eldar help  (Read 756 times)

Offline lone guardsman

• I LOVE 40Konline
eldar help
« on: July 6, 2009, 07:07:49 AM »
do you think a fully geared upp dire avenger squad, a ranger squad and an autrac and some bikes will do for a good 500-point start force?
« Last Edit: July 6, 2009, 07:15:20 AM by sturn »
insults are arguments for idiots

Offline Sludge_City

• Suffer unto the locust!
Re: eldar help
« Reply #1 on: July 6, 2009, 07:49:06 AM »
If you give us an idea of the playstyle you want to use (mech/footslogging), and the kind of opponents you will generally be facing, then this will make it much easier for us to give opinions on your list.

This brings me to my next point. If you write out your list in a list format with all upgrades for the units and points costs of units (not wargear/upgrades), this makes it much easier to see what exactly you have included making an opinion much easier to form.

Also, if fluff/background is important to you, then give us an idea of the craftworld you want to play or some background for your own craftworld.

Thanks, S_C
Click below for my eBay page!

Offline nesbitt_bub1

• Infinity Circuit
  • Stop looking at my AVATAR, read what i did write!!
« Reply #2 on: July 6, 2009, 08:18:21 AM »
500 points is a hard game sometimes with more elite forces.

Personally I'd take a cheap farseer over the aurtarch. The farseer has the advantage of a wichblade against tanks, and can be given a power whilst still remaining playable at those points levels.

10 man dire avenger squads might be a touch of all your eggs in one basket. Your dealing with around 170 points. They have a limited shooting range, and can be taken out with a single pie plate. I'd opt for 2 5 man squads so you can split targets. costing 60 points a unit.

warwalkers would be a great asset in this points size. High refire rate, and cheap with scatter lasers or shurican cannons.

Rangers have never done well for me. That's a personal issue i have with them I tend to play mech eldar, and there style leaves them stranded to get flanked. If you have a more static army then there a great addition. But typically for eldar you have to work in either a gun line force, or a mobile force, Mixing things up at low points will leave the army open to vulnerabilities.

A great addition in low points gunline army is a Wraithlord. Scatter laser EML, dual flamers, and keep a farseer nearby to babysit.

To get the most out of the bikes and a fast force, think about adding the farseer, a single power (fortune), and the bike. It will pump his cost a little, But you get the advantage of the rerollable cover save/armour save, some armour destroying with the wichblade, and some shooting with the catapults/cannon.

Offline lone guardsman

• I LOVE 40Konline
« Reply #3 on: July 6, 2009, 01:14:28 PM »
well i usually play armies that excels at shortranged fire fights and are backed upp by a couple of a close combat units.
i thought something like this

HQ
autrach mandi blasters,power weapon                   90         

Troops
5 rangers                                                            95

10dire avengers, exarch power weapon shimmer
bladestorm

6 jetbikes 2shuriken cannons

insults are arguments for idiots

Offline SuckerPF3

« Reply #4 on: July 6, 2009, 01:32:08 PM »
you could exchange the 5 rangers for 10 guardians and a scatterlaser for the exact same cost, and it would probably perform better in this small point game. You could take the duel catapults to get the most range damage possible.

Autarch w/ mandi + P.W. - 90

6 Jet bikes w/ 2 cannons - 152
10 D. Avengers w/ exarch w/ duel catapults + Bladestorm - 152
10 Guardians w/ scatterlaser - 95

total: 489

leaves enough points to take a fusion gun on the autarch in case you need to drop a transport or dreadnaught, ect...

Offline Shadow Dancer

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #5 on: July 8, 2009, 11:24:38 AM »
Vypers used to work for me with scatter lasers, that small a point limit you can usually keep your distance and shoot from afar limiting the return fire.

But it does depend on the size of the table you are planning to use as they are vulnerable.