News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 Harald Deathwolf's great company, feedback needed  (Read 1788 times)

Offline stevenrms

1500 Harald Deathwolf's great company, feedback needed
« on: March 2, 2012, 05:28:02 PM »
HQ
Wolf Lord - Saga of the Wolfkin, Thunderwolf, Frost Blade, Storm Shield, 2 Fenrisian Wolves, Wolftooth Necklace - 245
Wolf Priest - Plasma Pistol, Melta Bombs - 120

Elite
5 Wolf Scouts - Melta Gun - 85
Dreadnought - Plasma Cannon - 115

Troops
9 Grey Hunters - Flamer, Mark of the Wulfen, Rhino - 185
10 Grey Hunters - 2 Melta Guns, Rhino - 190

Fast Attack
3 Thunderwolf Cavalry - 3 Storm Shields, Power Fist,  Melta Bomb - 270
10 Fenrisian Wolves - 80

Heavy Support
5 Long Fangs - 2 Missile Launchers, 2 Lascannons, Razorback with Twin Linked Lascannon - 210

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: Space wolves, Eldar, Orks
Re: 1500 Harald Deathwolf's great company, feedback needed
« Reply #1 on: March 3, 2012, 07:54:36 AM »
In general, I like the list, however I think that you have too few troops for  1500 point games, with a 2/3 chance of having an objectives match, you are likely to need them. A clever opponent will focus on killing these two squads, and leaving you with no way to win other than utterly annihilating them. If this is what you aim to do (play like a true bloodclaw), than that is great, they provide fun games, however if this is a competitive list, then I recommend taking at least another squad of grey hunters.

Your wolf lord in general I like, however I think that it would be better just to have one wolf accompanying him, this raises the units general toughness, rather than having your lord counted as the same toughness as the wolves.

Finally, have you considered wolf standards? I know it can be hard to find the points for the upgrades, but I think they turn our grey hunters into much better combat troops, (and you will want them in combat i am assuming). Maybe it's just the number of 1's I roll, but whenever I choose not to take them i find myself cursing that decision as a  squad of witches charges me and i fail 1/2 of my saves on 1's.

Other than this it looks like a good list, quite similar to my own.

Be nice to nerds, you'll probably be working for them.

What if by 'fly you fools'  Gandalf was actually telling the fellowship to call the eagles and fly to Mordor?

"Thunder rolled... It rolled a six"

+++Melon melon melon+++
+++out of cheese error redo from start+++
+++Divide by cucumber error. Please reinstall universe and reboot+++

Offline Swamp Rat

« Reply #2 on: March 4, 2012, 08:36:11 AM »
Yeah, it's a very small list, just over 30 men, you're gonna be hard pressed in games. I'd maybe drop the Wolves and the Dreadnought and take another 10 man Grey Hunter squad. I can't help but think your lack of numbers is really going to hurt you. As Ginger Farseer said, 2/3 games, you're going to be in trouble. The Thunderwolves are nice, but in reality, they can't take your opponents army on their own.

I love Wolf Scouts, but i think yours are slightly too basic, they're one of the best units going, i run mine with MotW, Meltagun, 2 power weapons, 5 meltabombs, and a pack leader with a powerfist and a combi melta. They're the best unit in my army. They're around 200 points, and have never failed to get their own points, and then some, back for me. With just a meltagun, i'd probably drop them as not being worth it.
the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function the way a soldier is supposed to function -- without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends on it.

Don't cry for the Happy dead
But weep for those who dread to die.

Space Wolves Win Draw Loss - 5-3-0

Offline Bearer of the Word

• DEATH TO THE MINIONS OF THE CORPSE GOD!
« Reply #3 on: March 5, 2012, 02:15:56 AM »
with so little troops i would probally drop the wolf priest and the dread to make room for some more hunters or longfangs
death before dishonor!

Offline nawari

• Ork Boy
  • There is a bit of wulfen in all of us.
  • Armies: Space Wolves, Orks, White Scars
« Reply #4 on: March 5, 2012, 02:41:51 AM »
i would drop the dread and the scouts all together. i would also drop the wolf priest.

then i would add in another wolf lord on a thunderwolf with a claw, storm shield and saga of the warrior born. give him some wolves for wound allocation.

then maybe i would get another unit of fenrisian wolves.

that way in my opinion it will be more of a Harald Deathwolf's company.
Wish i had my own pet thunderwolf! Then i could ride into work and people will be like "Dayymm he so awsome right now!"