News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Orange you glad I didn't say Iyanden  (Read 11175 times)

Offline Orange

Orange you glad I didn't say Iyanden
« on: September 22, 2017, 03:45:14 AM »
Hi all, and thanks for having me here.

I've been playing 40k for a long time now, and I've known this is the place for Eldar, so thought it the best place to do my blog :)

I've been playing Daemons and Marines since about 5th ed, and have dabbled with other armies now and then but haven't stuck to it. Having played a few  games of 8th, I really didn't like how either played any more, and was sick of painting each of them, so I thought it was time for a new project.

I went through just about every army there is, trying to find a mix of models I liked, models that were fairly effective on the battlefield and models that were fairly diverse in terms of how they actually look, and what role they performed.

I want an army that has resilience, speed, combat ability, psychic ability and shooting ability, and that isn't all the same colour scheme. So Eldar fit perfectly!

The previous time I started Eldar, but didn't get very far, I had a very wraith-heavy army (literally--they were the old metals) but never got in to the colour scheme, which was similar to Biel-Tan. After watching Duncan paint a wraithguard using the white spray-yellow wash technique, I bought a box of wraithguard to see if it worked, and whether it's as easy as it looks. I've always liked the scheme and background of Iyanden, so I thought it was worth a crack.

Turns out it's fairly easy. It's not as easy as just slapping it on, but it's a lot easier than any method I've used to paint yellow before, and more importantly it produces a tone of yellow that I really like. It's a far paler yellow than the really bright one that used to be common.

The hardest bit is keeping it neat. Painting the blue and black on afterward is fraught with danger, as every little mistake is annoying to tidy up. But being careful, and painting the harder to get to areas before doing the yellow makes it better.

So anyway, I put these up in the Eldar section but here they are again:

I then won the plastic farseer in a raffle at my club, and after seeing the artwork for Iyanna Arienal in the Iyanden book, had a go at a simple conversion based on a female farseer I came across on the net.

The oval gem on her chest bugs me and I still don't feel like it's right, might have another go at it.

The other thing I want to do with this army is use some of the older models, especially for the aspect warriors. I remember them from when I was a kid, and always loved them. So far I've managed to get my hands on some Scorpions, Reapers and Avengers, and plan to paint them in the classic schemes. I've painted armies where everyone has the same colour scheme, and I'm over it. I enjoy painting different types of models in different schemes, though they'll all have a bit of yellow or a bit of blue to tie them back to the Iyanden colour scheme. I have recently done a mixed order AoS army with retro models and mixed colour schemes, and it was (and still is) a lot of fun, so I hope to replicate that with my Eldar.

Always happy to hear comments and criticism.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:49:15 PM by Orange »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: Orange's Iyanden
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 04:25:27 AM »
Amazing work Orange. I love that Farseer. Such a nice conversion and the paint really does it justice. The blending on the robes is terrific and the face a one of the cleanest jobs I've seen on this board.

Killer work and a hell of a start to your wraith army. Welcome to the project board!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 04:44:19 AM »
Yeah great introduction! I'm really liking the technique for a pale yellow. I'm all for techniques that use less effort to make something look better, and it's certainly worked ;)

Looking forwards to more :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 05:21:38 AM »
Niiiiice!
Good choice for the head, Orange. I like the dark shade for the spear as well. Can't see anything wrong with the gem either. Looking forward to more.

Am glad you joined us, mate. We Aussies are vastly outnumbered here... Be well!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 07:39:55 AM »
I think that the converted Farseer looks great and I see no need to revisit her in any way.  I think that the she is an excellent centre piece for your army.  You've also done a superb job with the yellow all round.

I still use my old Aspect Warriors, Rangers, Warlocks, and Farseer from the 1990 range.  They're still the best Eldar models of all time in my opinion.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 07:54:30 AM »
Superb job Orange. I think you really hit the yellow out the park and that converted farseer was executed brilliantly. It's a shame that GW doesn't sculpt more female models, as there is an increasingly greater demand for them, especially among eldar players. Luckily the dark eldar line has quite a few bits that convert rather well with the craftworld line. Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see where this ghost army goes.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 08:11:21 AM »
Fantastic work Orange. Iyanden's scheme is my favorite out of all the classics and I think you nailed it perfectly. The highlighting in particular is awesome. Also the transfers and basing are fantastic as well. Always thrilled to see a new Eldar project down here in the logs. Can't wait to see more. Keep it up you are off to a hot start!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 09:52:27 AM »
the warlock helmet looks awesome

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 03:53:16 PM »
Orange your army is amazing!  Awesome paint job and conversion work!  :)

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 05:24:37 AM »
Wow, I love that Farseer, the skin and hair tones are amazing and you've done such a good job on getting the yellow looking so good!
Can't wait to see more of this army!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Orange

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 10:58:57 AM »
Thanks for such a warm welcome guys, I appreciate all the comments :)

Glad the farseer has been well-received, wasn't sure the head would work but it did in the end. I know what you mean about female models dog of war--especially practically dressed female models. Thankfully there is some good stuff in the elf lines, that head is from the dark elf dragon kit.

Irisado--completely agree! I like the new scorpions and banshees, but still the originals are better. The fact they still use the old warlock sculpts shows even GW thinks so!

And thanks Saimm-Dann mate, the one below is representing in green and gold ;)

Tried out one of the old schemes on the old models, and pretty happy with how it came out. The scorpions yellow helmets should tie in with the rest of the yellow in the army.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 01:08:53 PM »
WOW! Looking awesome! KILLER paint job... So subtle yet striking. Love the color choices... just fantatic looking. The yellow helmet is the perfect touch. Also yes! The original Scorpion sculpts are the best, hands down. Killer work... keep it up!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 02:31:49 PM »
It's great to see one of the original Striking Scorpions painted in on the optional shrine colour schemes from the colour schemes in White Dwarf 127.  It has turned out really well.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 07:40:23 PM »
Looking great! I can't wait to see more!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 01:04:17 AM »
G'day Orange!
An Aspect warrior flagging the green and gold... Niiiiice!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 05:51:25 PM »
Yeah still diggin the pre-dreadlocks scorpions, I'm still rocking those guys too :)
Nice work on the highlights.

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 06:45:33 AM »
Welcome to the board, Orange. As an Iyanden player myself, I'm glad to see more people take a whack at it! We were once the most populous craftworld, and we might well become it once again if you keep it up.

The yellow looks great indeed, I'm curious to see how your army will look with multiple models from the various units put together.
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Orange

« Reply #17 on: October 2, 2017, 10:29:00 PM »
Thanks guys!

@vonny - yes I'm not used to having a clashing army, my last 40k army was marines and everyone had the same scheme. But it gets really boring to paint. So I'm interested to see how it looks too!

@Irisado - thanks for dropping the name of that issue, I've found someone whose posted it all online, great to read it all again.

So scorpions done, just waiting for a few more transfers to completely finish them:

Dark Reapers are next, then I'll need to really start concentrating on more wraithguard and the transports. Keep getting distracted by Aspect Warriors...

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 3, 2017, 05:27:58 AM »
That squad looks fantastic.  This is akin to going back to where it all began for me.  They have that original Eldar feel and it's great.  The Exarch, in particular, stands out very well.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #19 on: October 4, 2017, 03:24:38 AM »
Niiiiice!
With this theme in mind, mate. Your army is going to look Micky Mouse. Keen to see what you come up with for the Dark Reapers.