News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Clan Saim-Lucster (1750pts - competitive Craftworld) (new Battle 26 May 09)  (Read 14745 times)

Offline Kildash

• Infinity Circuit
good report there, moc065... Not bad, my friend, not bad at all.

Well played game too. There's only one thing that I miss...

Fluff...

Just kidding man, just kidding, leave the fluff reports to me :)
In darkness, a blind man is the best guide. In an age of madness, you should let a madman guide you.

Armies:
Iron Wolves: W/D/L - 0/0/0
Eldar of Idharae: W/D/L - 23/7/6

Last game: Idharae+Eldar vs Tau+Imperial Guard
Result: Win
List of my battle reports: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=177565.0

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
Since you failed to produce the link I asked you for, I stopped being lazy and found your battle report thread myself.   ;)

I enjoyed reading your bat reps, particularily the one between you and Gutstikk.  I never got to finish my own game against him, but he is a good opponent and I look forward to playing against him again some day.  Likewise, I look forward to squaring off against you at some point as well.

Cheers,

C.S.
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
Another good batrep moc, it's always scary to face anotehr Eldar army, Eldar actually seems to have exactly what it takes to kill each other when it happens.

Interesting (or sad - Ha-Ha) on how the Council fared so poorly this game, taking early casualties really hurt you there. You could have played it very safe I guess and just let the Council hover near the table edge (and out of range) for a Turn to get that well needed Fortune on before jumping in?

And I sooo feel your pain with phail AT shooting throughout the game... ::)

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
Thanks for the comments guys and I have seen my Council do better (most games).... But it is still a game of dice, and I got a little cocky; so I needed a little humility. I was just happy to still eek out a victory as my opponent may be new to 5th Ed (sort of as he has been overseas fro a while); but he is certainly a  very competetent general for the most part, and his lists are always tough to beat.

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline SMVaughn

• "I am and always shall be your friend." - LN
  • Armies: Space Marines, Dark Angels, Eldar, Chaos Marines
Well you mentioned something today moc while giving me yet another of your amazing 30 min tutorials on painting. You were right however I miss what you gained from your ten second breather.

Oh well... I can guess.

Love the bat reps, and I will miss your lessons while you are on your parental break. I will also miss the times of shop talk at work. It really breaks up the day. But ah well... when you return.

Cheers

SMVaughn

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Here are some of my mistakes as I see them with my awesome 20/20 hind-sight glasses put on.

• Deployment.. The left side of the table was blank.. so why did I not set down the Storm Guardians, Wave Serpent, and my Farseer to get Fortune working (farseer hiding 100% of course)... and then try to steal init... he actually would have maybe got a single BL shot at me with his Serpent, as the terrain really would have blocked all else (even with him moving).
  • Due to mistake number one... Turn 1. I then could have had the Council arrive in the Reserve phase of Turn one, Fortune in Psy phase, and then gone into movement phase with Fortuned council or Fortuned Serpent...ap least it would have kept them away from a full unit of DA that could BS the hell outta them.. OK the council would probably eat 2-4 EML and BL shots, but they were taking that anyway...
  • Also in turn 1, why come in central and go for a hidden WL when I could of came in on the Left flank to roll up that one side, drop the Serpent, kill occapants, etc... The only thing in range of me would have been his WL's and the Falcon, maybe a scatter... instead of 2 full squads of DA, and the half pack to go along with the big gund... I pooched it bad, as there was no need to recieve all that DA shooting, had I deployed, entered properly.
  • Turn 2... Living with poor stuff so far.. when I moved forward and assaulted his Falcon... I could have mass assaulted the Falcon and the half pack of DA.. to drop the Falcon still, and waste the DA (thus not having to endure sustained combat for soooo looong).
  • Turn 3... Hiding my Small Jetbike squad right in easy range of the Avatar was amphetamine parrote... Duh... the Avatar should have ripped them a new A-hole.. so I got lucky to survive that exchange as I did... It was dumb not the actually look at the table and see a 40+,, Avatar right in front of me.. Duh... The big squad assaulting into Cover was not briliant either, as JB's suck in CC vs anything other than nats.

Then I took the break and looked over an Dave and Eds game... Duh, the lights came on.. I dumped all crazy ideas of holding the middle, etc.. rolled his left flank (like I shoul dhave 3 turns earlier) and actually got lucky enough to win the game...

This is the pciture that did it for me..
as it shows how Dave kept his forces over to the one Flank, to devide his brothers forces and win the day...

I know its not easy to see at the time of the game; but considering the number of games I play... I really do know better, and should not have let myself play so poorly to start with.. The fact that I am old and possibly going senile is my story... etc... The fact that I got lucky and should have lost to the better General is simply because the Sun shines on each of us from time to time.

CaHG

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Two Batrep Synopsis..
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2009, 11:00:32 AM »
Sorry to double post.. but here are:

Two more games with the POC Saim-Hann list... no batrep but here are the synopsis.

game 1. vs Space marines "Beleil's Deathwing" This was a game that actually was played in two sessions, and vs a total newb so I dumbyed a few things down...
1.. All warlocks, farseer, Autarch ets, hit SM's on 4+ even though their WS would have it at 3+ normally.
2.. SM's didn't have to test for Difficult Terrain to enter Close Combats vs Council, simply move 6" as per open ground if their in range.
3.. Council always uses Invul save, no 3+ ever... Fortune still works though.

Anyway, we kept it simple so that he could learn the mechanics and have fun... his list was straight off the Internet, and had Beliel some termies, and plenty of decent options. So on we went. The council lived through the game and actually was in CC almost from the get go, cheweing through a full jumpsquad turn 2, a Dread turn 3, and then on his turn 4 onward they were in prolonged CC with a 10 tacticals, then Beliel and 5 termies, and 5 more tacticals... in the end... Autarch and Farser lived, and so did Beliel and 3 Termies (but the Eldar did break in CC on his turn 6, fall back,,, regoup on my turn 6, and carry right along). I took out a fair bit of his list, but he had one combat squad still scoring while I had the Small JB squad still scoring at the end. He was reduced to a badly damaged Pred, half a Dev Squad, the scoring combat squad, Beliel and 3 Termies... while I had both vypers, small jb unit, Falcon, FD's, Serpent, farseer and Autarch remaining...  One more turn would have probably bagged him; but so it goes... Draw in the end... The advantages I gave up were a little extra; but he ws learning so it evened things out a bit... And we both enjoyed the game.

Game 2, vs more SM's "Calgar and associates" Did I ever mention that named figures are simply retarded for the most part, even the Eldar ones...  Anyway.. .this was a standard game, very unique SM list:
Calgar, 10 Ass termies, 10 Vanguard with j-packs, 3 Razorback squad with 10 dudes each, and more power weapons, fist, t-hammers etc.. than I ever thought was possible. he combat squaded everything as it was Seize gorund with 4 MO's... set up the shooty (Melta) components of his army, with Razors + Combat squads coming in from table edge, and 4 Deepstrike units... I started the Council and both skimmer on the table well hidden... with 1st turn shoved down my throat (he did not even try to steel the init).. He was an accomplished general who basically tried forever to slwo my council; but systematically removed my scoring options as they hit the field (his DS dice were insanely good, hitting 3/4 and the 1 scatter was like 4 inches in the right direction)..
  • Turn 5 I threw the Serpent, falcon and a Vyper on MO's to contest while the council was in CC on the last one... Draw...
  • Turn 6 I threw the Falcon and a Vyper on MO's to contest, while Council was finishing up in CC on other objective and he was running outta scoring options... Draw
  • turn 7 I threw the Falcon on one MO to contest, and used the Council (split into 2 groups)...  Autrach+Farseer hunted down and killed a combat squad, while the 8 (yes 100% intact) warlocks hunting down a Raxorback with dudes in it to kill them all (12 pens in assault, with Wrecked being the best result, so razor dead and since I played "Ring around the Coffin" his dudes had no-where to go, so they died -- hazaa.. Also removed his last scoring option btw..  Draw...

This was a super close game the whole way threw, My falcon missed with 6 rounds of Pulse shooting, the Vyper shooting killed about 4 guys total (tac amrines with bolters of course)... The FD's and Stormies did most of the Vanguard, the JB's did almost nothing (vanguard assaulting as they DS is sick, btw), and the council did pretty well anything it wanted... I never killed Calgar, and I think he had a few Termies and 3 Vanguard remaining at the end.... .. amphetamine parrote happens, and the guy was a good general BTW, although I will check a couple rules items out as he got me thinking.

Update now has the POC Saim-Hann list at 7 Wins, 3 draws, 0 Losses

Another game booked tomorrow, vs Space Marines again.... I'll try and do a batrep for this one... with pics... etc...

CaHG
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 08:40:36 AM by moc065 »

Offline SMVaughn

Hey moc I am ready for tomorrow's game for the most part. Still tweakign my list.

As for a quick question in game two most recent post...

"3 Razorback squad with 10 dudes each"

Razors can only take 6? how he get the other 4 inside to make it ten dudes each or where they cout as models for rhino's?

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Combat squads make then 5+5 dudes

so 5 go in razorback, 5 stay out... its prefectly legal

CaHG

Offline SMVaughn

ah my misread then on how it was worded. My appologies.

Cheers

See you tomorrow.

Offline ImmortalHunter

• Fear the Psyker, kill the mutant!

CaHG

GAH! Amphetamine parrote!!!

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.

CaHG

I would double check that codex.  I could be mistaken, but I am almost sure it says something along the lines of:

"If the squad numbers 6 models or less, they may purchase a Razorback as a dedicated transport."

If that has in fact been changed, then yes, it would be legal.
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
As I read it from the newest Ultramarin Codex

(Pg 134 Codex)...Dedicated Transports
The Squad may purchase a Rhino or a Razorback. A squad of Ten may purchase a Drop Pod.... etc etc..

So his list was legal... to purchase the Razorbacks...

(Pg 135 Codex) Then states that the Razorback may only accomadate 6 figures, so he can't put a full squad into the thing.. His options as I see them are:
  • Set-up/Deploy with the squad outstide of the Razorback, or
  • Go into Combat Squad mode, with 5 figures in and 5 figures out of the Razorback...

He chose to go into Combat Squad mode... and it was fine by me, and totally legal...

His list was actually one of the few SM lists that I have seen with a Named Character in it, that I actually saw as unique and effective without being abusive on Spam... Calgar gave him 1 Barrage (which wounded 5 of the Council, and they all passed their 4++ Saves vs it)... Calgar has some cool weapons options, and his ability to simply have all units that have "Combat Squad" tactics able to pick if they pass/fail their Moral Tests, etc.. was good but not unfair. It most often had him staying in CC instead running and possibly recieveing more wounds do to being "caught"... but at the same time... it was not uber by any means.... Failed Pin test, then opting to fail Moral test to disrupt being "Pinned" was actually a sound tactic he used and had I placed my Falcon slightly better, his squad would have continued to run due to proximity... so his options really allowed for tactics; but still inferred some risk factor; thus I saw them as one of the more balanced items on a named Character.

I fished around a little on a few rule discussions we had during the game, and learned a few imortant things. Havn't really effected my games paly in 5th so I was unfamiliar with these items.

• 1.. Unit gets pinned, so it acts as if its gone to ground... but if it fails its Moral test, it actually runs and returns to normal.. (I always assumed that once pinned, a unit just hung out, as I never cause enough wounds to even force a Moral Check... it came up this game and we discussed it, I check pages 31 and 24 respectively, and my opponent schooled me on that rule ~~ kudos to him, and something I will use in my favour when possible, just like he did).
  • 2.. Relic Blade is how many points ?? wow, I never realized how f---ing expensive it is... Yes its a PW, and its str is good, but it costs ahell of a lot more than a Lance (even a Star Lance) but I guess that the price for not having to revert to lower str after 1st round of assault. Wow, expensive, but good for what you pay. ~~ I have never used this item, but I might actually consider it for my Biker list now.
  • 3.. Vanguard with their insane heroics (not proper name, but you get the idea)... what, they can assault after they Deepstrike if they give up shooting.... WOW.. how in the hell did I miss that when I read the Codex (twice btw)... I got pooched for the Jetbike squads because I thought I had time to avoid those DS units ~~ Kudos to my opponent for seeing the potential speed of a unit, and using it to kick my super fast arse... Best thing I read in a while, and maybe even makes the Vangurad almost worth their cost...

Anyway, the next game in the series is today (in about 3 hours)... vs SMVaugh with his Vaughn Chapter Space Marines... I have won all of our previous encounters and avoided using the Saim-Hann vs him... but I think that his tactics are actually to the point of giving me a good run for the money, if not actuallyhammering the amphetamine parrote outat me... He has some good ideas in his SM list (I lurked over on that forum -- Hazaa) and I think that I might be in trouble... Deployment will be the key to this one, I think...  And good luck SMVaughn.

CaHG

Offline SMVaughn

LOL Deployment was key and deployment still remains my weakest skill in this game. :(( Oh well. 3 games in a year I am moving up still.

Can not wait for your ever entrancing bat rep.

Cheers

Offline Tauir - "The Shadow"

• Infinity Circuit
  • I'm back
I cannot wait for this batrep. Hazaa!

Oh yes, the council modifications. Did he know you were making them or did you just roll dice and say ____ council members died?
Whoa there.

Offline SMVaughn

Not in my game they didnt.

LOL

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Chapter Vaughn... how do they do ?
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2009, 01:32:46 AM »
Hey guys... I met up with SMVaughn today for another battle. We have had 3 games now, with him slowly building his game knowladge and his Space marine Chapter in each game... the First two games vs him I used my Necrons "The Mighty Green Machine"; but he was talking smack and said that he would like to see Eldar on the table as he had some ideas... I played him a mok up game to show him some of the Eldar trickery, and even though he took a thorough bbeating (in all 3 games) he said that he would like to face my Saim-Hann as he heard that it was a cool looking army and unique to face.

We agreed on 1750pts for the size, and I told him that I thought he might be ready for me, as his tactical discussions had certainly improved over the last few weeks. We met and had a quick lunch and then went into GW just as they were opening (best way to get a good table ~ LOL, the terrain is so good in there, that actually all the tables are great, btw).

Here are the lists (in case you forgot what the Wildriders look like, or need to see his list ~ its wysiwyg, btw).

moc065 / "Saim-Lucster's Clan"  Holders of the Secrets

HQ (1-2) 680pts ~ 39%
(140) Autarch -1; "Saim-Lucster" Holder of Secrets ~~ Jetbike, Laserlance, Mandiblaster & Fusion Gun
(140) Farseer – 1; "Saim-Lir" Hand of Secrets ~~ Jetbike, RoWarding, RofWitness & Fortune
(400)   Warlocks - 8; Larstill-Istu" Silent-Blade Jetbikes, with 2 embolden, 2 enhance
     Think back to the days of the Wild Rider Chief and his Kinsmen… this is in effect what is being done in here, with the Autarch being the Wild Rider Chief and the Farseer with Warlocks supporting him in whatever regard is required. In 3rd Ed I had a simular unit (unfortunately I sold a lot of them) with the Wild Rider Chief, his Kinsmen, and a Farseer on Jetbike supporting them. I think this new unit is totally in theme with 3rd Ed Saim-Hann and really keeps the army “In the Air” … it also adds a much needed Close Combat portion to the list which is a serious must for me in 5th Ed. It does have a flaw that it can be tied down by certain units; but overall a JB Council can add a lot of punch to an Eldar list.

EL (0-1) 113pts ~ 7%
(113) Fire Dragons - 6; "Man-Kian" Fiery Death ~~ (Exarch) with Dragons Breath Flamer and Crackshot.
     Well, you could only have one Elite back in the original Craftworld Saim-Hann and the list was seriously lacking in both Anti-tank and Anti-Hard Infantry… so as the Fire Dragons can fill both roles, in they went… I also use them in the Falcon so they to remain “In the Air” unless they are performing a classic “Drive-By Shooting”. Besides, I have always loved the shooting aspect of the Eldar race, so why not use one of the best shooting units in the game.

TR (0-3) 616 ~ 35%
(125)  Storm Guardians - 10; "Shad-Rillie" Glittering Spear ~~ Warlock with Embolden and Spear, 2 Flamers.
     (145)   Wave Serpent; twin linked Brightlances and stones
(205)   Jetbikes - 7; "Larstill-Mair" Swift-Blade ~~ Jetbike Warlock with Embolden and Spear, and 2 Shuricen Cannons.
(151)   Jetbikes - 5; "Jaiz-till" Storm Slayer ~~ Jetbike Warlock with Singing Spear and Embolden, and 1 Shuriken Cannon.
     Craftworld Saim-Hann screamed for Jetbikes (well they were a "Fast Attack" choice back in 3rd Ed, and totally in theme), so in they went… This was tricky though as Eldar really need decent Scoring Troops with synergetic support, so the list was actually started in this FOC section (then the HQ was added, and then the FA, EL, & HS)… I was remiss to have fewer Troops in order to follow the old Craftworld theme and more Fast Attack; but 5th Ed forced me to get those all too valuable Scoring units… The theme of “In the Air” and 3rd ed style is maintained though as the Stormies will be staying in their can unless actively performing a classic “Drive-By Shooting”, and the Jetbikes fit into both 3rd and 5th Ed style of the army…

FA (2-6) 150 ~ 9%
(75)   Vyper - 1: EML & Shuriken Cannon
(75)   Vyper - 1: EML & Shuriken Cannon
     I needed 2 Fast Attack choices to fit the old Craftworld Saim-Hann theme, and although I was pressed to take Shining Spears (Swooping Hawks and Warp Spyders were not an option as they were an Elite Choice in 3rd Ed), the Vypers won the toss as they added some much needed ranged support while keeping the mobility factor high as well as being “In the Air”… They will also give me two very fast options to contest objectives should I need to (and if they live long enough), where as the spears just couldn't do the same for such a cheap points cost.

HS (0-1) 180 ~ 10%
(180)   Falcon - 1: EML, Holo-fields, and stones.
     What can I say, with only 1 Heavy Support choice allowed in the old FOC, I simply went for what gave the most options, effectiveness and theme in one package. It also allowed me to keep the Fire Dragons "In the Air" so here into the list it went…

1,749pts,  11 KP, 3 Scoring Units, 43 figures

Here is a picture of the Army Assembled (Sorry its not all painted, ~~ I'm working on it, 4 kids, what can I say... OK)

Click to enlarge

SMVaughn / "Vaughn Chapter" Ultra-Marines

Chaplin with Jumpack, digital ammo and pistol
10 Assault Termies, 5 hammers, 5 claws
Dread; MM and ccw
Dread; arse-can and ccw
10 Tac Marines; p-fist, ml, and flamer + rhino
10 Tac Marines; pw, ml + rhino
10 Tac Marines; p-fist, ml, and pg + rhino
5 Scouts; tele-homer, ml and 4 sniper rifles
10 Assault Marines; p-fist

1750pts, 4 Scoring Units, 12 Kill Points, 61 Figures

Nice to see that they are almost 100% WYSIWYG, and the paint is wickedly well done (first army ever for SMVaughn).

Neat little paint things to note about the Vaughn Chapter...
1... I painted one Cloak on his Scouts, try to figure out which one, nice job Mike, I can't tell the difference.
2... His Sargent has a reversed Shoulder pad in the squad... nice touch Mike, and I love the orange. I do remember helping you wih that Rhino.
3... @nd Rhino and Tac squad are comin along very well too, I really like the slight variation in paint scheme to help pick them apart.
4... Sargent is always a great place to start when painting a squad, and I love the weapons variety too. PS, enjoy the Rhino (gift) but more about that story later on.
5... The stripe on the Dread is wicked... WOW...
6... I remeber he was supposed to be a Captain with relic Blade, why the Chaplin idea ?
7... At leat the Hammers are built, nice to see the Clasw are almost there too, just a few shoulder pads to go, and then Primer.
8... The Assault Squad is great, and I realize now that the Jumppacks we bitz ordered would have helped to fill out the squd (hint to GW trolls)... I like the way the Sargeant stand out too. More Great stuff.

We had some discusison about when to go first, etc.... deployments, etc... and then we rolled off for Mission (Mike got a 4) so Capture and Control it would be (1 Objective each). I rolled a 2 for Deployment so Pitched Battle it would be (12" long table edges). In the roll off Mike won the option and forced me into 1st turn. This is probably due to his reading Battle Reports from me in the past and thus knowing that I prefer to respond to my opponent, rather than reveal my plan to early. So we fired down our Mission Objectives and I started to Deploy.

Mission Objectives

Eldar objective (12" from table edge and near my right edge to grant me cover without forcing my Jetbikes to take DT test.

Vaughn Objective (a little too close to table edge in my oppinion, and within terrain would make it tougher for a Jetbike Army to grab.)

The Battlefield Thats SMVaughn in the corner, (sorry I posted this without your permission)

Deployment

The Wildriders go close to my objective as they can usually do well enough as a Pincer unit on their own, and their speed can get them elsewhere if needed. The Falcon + Fire Dragons and Wave Serpent + StromGuardians set up across from SMVaughns Objective to pose an immediate threat, and to work as another Pincer... Both Jetbike Squads and the Vypers stay in reserve, as they are more fragile and would not do well if fired upon (in case he steels the Initiative). Note that I also set them so that they will enjoy Cover saves for the most part if I loose the Initiative.

SMVaughn spreads his forces out to re-act to my Deployment, we deiscussed things like him leaving me clear LOS on the Termies, etc... and then he re-deployed as in the last picture. Still spread apart to make a good thrust towards my Objective and protect his own in the mean time..

Mike drops his infiltrating Scouts (I was not really paying attention so I missed the pic, and actually I never even noticed where they were, as th0r was distracting me (we were discussing hte Rhino that I gave to SMVaughn, as it was th0r's originally in hiw Blood Angel army about 5 years ago, he sold it to Misha, who later sold it to Mat Rose, who later sold it to me as part of his RavenWing army ~~ I just wanted the bikes so the Rhino was bonus.... Thus I gave it soem Fixing, some Primer, and then gift wrapped if for SMVaughn. ... Anywa... he rolls to steel the Init and bags a 3, so I retain first turn.... I start bbe telling SMVaughn that his Rhino will probably be indistructable this game as I never could kill it in the past, vs all three previous owners and I never actually used it... So I thought it would be Charmed for this game...

Turn 1a

Fortune Power turned "On" (and it stays on the whole game, so I won't kep saying it). I did some mental math, and moved the trhee units forward to gain Table Control by setting up decent firing lanes while not giveing away to many free angles back at me... The Wildriders did number of Dangerous terrain test to get their movement; but as usual they were safe (It takes skill to ride one of my Jetbikes ~~ Hazaa). In shooting the "Charmed" Rhino was penetrated twice, but I only manage to shake and stunn it; I remeber commenting that my 1st turn was pretty well useless other than give me the possitioning I wanted.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 08:05:42 AM by moc065 »

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Turn 1b

SMVaughn fired his Assault Marines, Chaplin, and Rhino full of Tac Marines straight at the Wildriders, using the Thino as a shield along the way. I finally noticed the Scout posision as he was moving the Termies forward, and everything else stayed put (marker is for damage to vehicle OK, not another Objective). In shooting the Snipers drill the Wildriders but their Fortune Save protects them all. I remeber asking SMVaughn why he changed out the Captian with Relic Blade for a Chaplin, and he informed me that the Squad becoming "Fearless" and the re-rolls would make his Asasult Squad that much better, as he remembered how much attention I put inot killing them in previous games (hence the Full squad now too, I supposed)... I told him that I would later show the error of his ways....

Score:
Eldar = 0
SM's = 1

Turn 2a
Reserves have my Large Jetbiker Unit and both Vypers arriving (the Autarch's Bonus was not even needed). So the JB's "Turbo" to gain possition and a nice Cover Save, the Vypers come in less than 6" so they have full shooting potential, and then I move the Wildriders, Serpent and Falcon into possition to Shoot and/or Assault. Shooting has the Vypers taking down a couple of Snipers, and Brightlance and Pulse bulelts bouncing off the Termies (3+ invul is sick btw). The Shuri-cat fire from the Wildriders removed 3 of the Assault Marines (and their "Fearless, so they were staying put)... So into assault went the Wildriders... High init and loads of wounds from the Witchblades, combined with the "Fearless" factor to have the Chaplin (wounded) and 3 Marines remaining... I also palyed "Ring around the Rhino" to force SMVaughns hand a bit more.

Turn 2b

No Deepstrikers arrived.
SMVaughn continued his advance for the most part and finally dis-embarked the Tac Squad at his objective (he should have done this during deployment, so they could have been shooting earlier btw). His Rhino attempted to Tank Shock out of the Ring of Jetbikes, but a Witchblade "Wrrecked" it, and thus its cargo were all killed. His scouts dropped a Vyper (Explosion) but no other shooting was worth mentioning. In asault he did well to only loose 2 more Marines.

Score:
Eldar = 0
SM's = 1

Turn 3a

The Small Jetbike Squad arrives and moves in by the Eldar objective (they will shoot and pop back behind cover to hold the objective). The Large JB squad also does a 6" pop to gain LOS on his Objective Campers, while the serpent falcon and Vyper also move to get LOS and maintian the Table Control. In shooting I bag a Tac Marine by his objective, a couple more Snipers, and remove the Multi-melta from his Dread. The Chapllin dies but the Assault Marines Sargent hangs on in assault with the Wildriders (host of weird dice in this phase ~ oh well). My JB's do their Pop return and the turn goes back to SMVaughn.

Turn 3b

Deepstriking Termies arrive and use the Scouts Teleport Homer to come in as planned (better late than never)... I forgot to take a pic, but they were between his soucts and where my Vypers started. The rest of his army moved forward and actually managed to shake my Vyper and Serpent in shooting. In assault his Dread ran into the Wildriders, and was wasted along with the Marines Sargen before they even considered fighting back. Consol had the Wildriders regaining a more central position (Note the one Shielded Arm of the Dread, as thats all that was even recognizable after the Wildriders were done with it ~ Hazaa).

Score:
Eldar = 1
SM's = 1

Turn 4a

Vyper and Serpent can't shoot, so they both go Flat out to gain some potential Cover Saves (Serpent is gaining possition to unload Stormies and/or contest Objective as well). The Falcon decides it time to move and unload its deadly Fire Dragons while the Jetbike Squads move to PoP shoot, and keep table control all at once. In shooting the FD's and Large JB unit bring one Tac Squd down to 3 remaining figures (passed LD though) The Charmed Rhino remains unscathed (I actually have been shooting it each turn btw). The Wildriders drive into the newly arrived Termies and barely even slow down (host of good Eldar dice and a host of Poor SM dice, as they had 22 wounds to distribute between 5 guys ~ 4 of those were Power Weapon hits as well ~ I knew the Wilrideres were good, but they have never before been this good ~ Hazaa). Thus they use the consolidation move to continue their treck towards the rest of the Vaughn Chapter.

Turn 4b

The Vaughn Chapter is feeling a bit of a squeeze but they are hardly down and out. So they quickly move to gain potential on the Skimmers and any other Saim-Hann possible. Shooting is limited for the Vaughn Chapter at this point, so not much actually happens before CC. The Termies wiffed their attacks on the Falcon; but the Tac Squad Explodes the Serpent with a Fist attack... 8/11 Stormies make it out alive; but they are not in any great location with a Dread, almost full tac marines squad breathing down their necks. Oh and after the Fire dargons took a good old fashioned pummeling, they decide to high tail it and start running.

Score:
Eldar = 1
SM's = 1

Turn 5a

The super wimpy Fire Dragons (obviosly) fail to regroup, oh; and they runn off the battlefield (moral victory, as at least they didn't all die). The Wildriders bounce over towards the action... some the Falcon jumps into a possition to contest the vaughn Objecctive, the Vyper gets LOS on his last Scout, the Large JB squad does some shifting while the small JB unit also gets LOS on the scout, but also has the option to gt back on my Objective. Shooting has the Scout going down, the Stromies roast and shoot his Tac Squad (kill 1-2 at best, wiff), Wild Riders killing "0" termies, JB's wiff... woot awesome Eldar shooting ?? Assault time, Stormies loose the CC, break and have to go around a Dread to try and leave. JB's simply relocate to Score etc. Wildriders pound into the 5 Termies, and 33 attacks later actually only kill 2, then they loose to Warlock Jetbikers to get a drawn Combat, so that went considerably worse than expected (well they were on fire until this point in the game, so the laws of averages had to catch up to me eventually). Forgot to mention that the Vaughn SM's used their Consol move to get into possion on the Falcon and grab their Objective back (maybe).

Turn 5b

It might be hard to see here, but the Vaughn Marines actually did a lot. The Tac Squad preped to punch through my Fire Prism, both Rhino's went for Tank Shock on my large Jetbike squad (neither accomplished anything aside from move a few Jetbikes around), and the Dread prepped to assault some Stormies. In assaults the Tac Squad failed to hit the Uber Flacon as it wasmoving too fast for them, the Dread wiffed big time; but took nothing from the Singing Spear either.... Oh, and those last three Terminators bit the dust before they could even fight back, so the Wildriders consolidated towards the Vaughn Objective.

Score:
Eldar = 1 + 1 contested
SM's = 0

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
OK, at this point SMVaughn said that he was actually happy, as he wasn't wiped out, and although he was not in a possition to win, at least he had improved his tactics somewhat... and he thought my eldar might even be more harsh... I told him to roll the dice and see if it was over, as Harsh might still happen.

he rolled,,,, a ,,,, "5"... Game ON...

Turn 6a

Saim-Lucster turned to his mother Saim-Lir and asked to bless to host before they attempted their final action.. (Mountain Dew was used for the blessing toast). The small JB unit "Camp out"... The Wildriders move to gain assault on the Tac squad... Vyper and Large JB unit move to gain LOS on the Rhino's side/rear armour, as does the Falcon.... Falcon, large JB unit and Vypers combine to wreck/explode both Rhinos and finally end the "charm" on the gift Rhino ~ Hazaa... The Wildriders drive right into the Tac Squad and kill several of them before they fail combat and run off the table (wimps). The Dread kills a Guradian; but also eats a Singing Spear and gets wrecked (see it fallen over ~ Hazaa)... I roll to consol the Stormies onto the Vaughn Objective; but SMVaughn reaches over the table and congratulates me on a total wipe out...  Wow, that was brutal... Sorry, but its part of their story line...

Score:
Eldar = 2
SM's = 0

The Aftermath

Well, that was sick, and I know SMVaughn said that he had fun; but he had to have been thinking... "Wow, moc065 really can be one brutal sick bastard to actually wipe me out"... I do appologize, but I got a bit cought up in the Blood Fury, etc, etc... I do hope it was soem fun for you though...

Here are the dead piles for those interested (about 500pts worth).
Saim-Hann Eldar
8 Stormies
1 Vyper
1 Serpent
6 Fire Dragons
2 Warlock Jetbikers

Vaughn Chapter Space Mariens
No description, as its everything...

I would once again like to thank GW Halifax for letting us use their fantastic terrain etc for our gaming pleasure... And I especially wish to thank SMVaughn for allowing me to beat up on him...

Sorry I was so long in writing up the BatRep... but I am on Vacation now (9 months)...

Tactical discussion

Deployment was once again SMVaughn's weakest area if you ask me... I totally expected him to turtle in one corner, use the tower for his scouts, and then Tele-homer in the Termies to drive over and contest my objective while he held his own...

Even if he was spread a bit, His Tac Squad on the objective really should have started out of their rhino, and simply used it as a mobile shield to fire from behind of... All his Tac squads had Missile Launchers in them... so why not use them to defend his Objective while the Termies, Dreads, Assault Marines try and contest my objective ? Even his Rhino's could have simply drove forward to Contest as needed... Anyway, if I were faced with an opponent with superior speed and fexibility I think that I would play for the Draw and hope to get an advatage at some point... his style certainly put some early pressure on my Saim-Hann objective early on; but not for long as I could deal with army piece by piece.

It was unfortuanate that his one Tac Squad got cought in their Rhino and Wrecked, and he made good effort to and repeat the process on my Wave Serpent; but he failed to get the ring all the way around the coffin so to speak (because I placed a little closer to the table edge, and his guys didn't have the mobility of Jetbikes). It should also be noted that for 4/6 turns the rolls for the Wildriders were insanely good too, and SMVaughn had a serious bought of Yatzee with 1's and 2's, which really didn't help him any... But over all his tactics were actually pretty decent (discount the deployment) and they were actually getting better each turn he played.

Once again I Thank him for the game, and he is more than welcome to seak revenge at any time.

CaHG

Offline SMVaughn

Revenge will be sought. Do not worry, Wild Rider Chief.

I think I could have done a lot more as well after reading our bat rep.

1) Before the council punced... as mentioned (durring) I should have gotten out of my Rhino
2) I could have combat squaded all three tac squads and like you said ... used the ML to defend objective.
3) Deploy better (Biggest Problem)
4) As mentioned Turtle
5) Thought longer on how to deal with a fast army vice single out like I did with your TMGM (as well as you mentioned after the game)
6) Use the tower with the snipers better

As a note on the Chappy with Jump pack, I had a conversion in the works to use instead, so the Capt Jumper was a proxy as timings did not permit me the luxuary of finishing him for our game. However the game did force me to reconsider the Assault marines. I do not think my game style at this point will allow me to use them effectivly. In all three games, they have yet to produce a solid return on what I spend for them. As mentioned in another thread they seem to be a weak link in my list when I was seeking suggestions. So they may  be sidelined for a bit, until some additional "Training" is done by the squad or my ability to use them properly vastly improves. (Regardless of how much you target them due to your inability to deal with them moc. There is something missing when I play them I can feel it, and when I find it you will meet the havoc of their blades! I swear it.) ;)

Thank you to GW again for our gameing location, thank you for the beat down as one thing is for certain it will keep me more then humble. Thank you for the Rhino, as it is only my second one, the third one I had was a weapon stripped Pred.

Another note. I really need to find more friends and time to play more so I can improve exponentially. 3 Games in the last 6 mons though 100 times better then the last three years ish (Nato 3 yrs ago when you got me addicted to this wonderful hobby wasn't it moc?) to improve and stick the rules in my head better, not to mention add a better knowledge base against many armies and their generals.

Anyway I did have fun, tremendous amounts of fun. Even if I got slaughtered.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 07:14:45 AM by SMVaughn »