News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)  (Read 57452 times)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)
« Reply #280 on: November 29, 2017, 11:54:36 AM »
Thanks guys. Cav's got some in the mail, so they should be here in no time at all. A huge thanks to you Cav for your generosity and to everyone's offer to help out.

Three completed warriors on deck. They're coming along well, now that I've got the method down for the purple. Airbrush Dioxazine Purple, usually three coats. Highlight with Xereus Purple, wash with Dioxazine and Water 1:1, second highlight of Xereus, and then a final wash of Druchii Violet.

I'm hoping to get batches of two or three done every two days. It's easier to have a few on the go, as you wait for a layer of paint to dry, you can do the next step on another already dried.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 03:09:07 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #281 on: November 29, 2017, 02:50:25 PM »
Very nice DoW!
The green plasma on the guns and just a lick of acid on the bases too tie in with the girls and transport. The gold goes very well with the regal feel of the purple. Am jealous of your time for the hobby... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #282 on: November 30, 2017, 07:11:47 AM »
Nice! Still just loving this scheme. I think going with the purple shoulder pads is definitely the way to go too, I feel like it streamlines the models a bit better. Also I love the way you painted the eyes and central line down the top guy's helmet. The basing is really nice too, with just a hint of acid here and there. Love it.

My only suggestion is to perhaps thin you coats a bit on the gold. When I do my gold, I do one layer let it completely dry, then hit it again. I dont actually thin the paint, I just do it in layers letting them completley dry just to avoid it getting a bit thick.

Other than that they look great DoW. Keep up the great work man, this army is looking fantastic!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #283 on: November 30, 2017, 08:38:09 AM »
Thanks guys. Ya, the metallics look a little thick. I think the main issue, is that some these guys are second-hand and some of the original paint jobs in some areas were a little thick to begin with. I'm actually doing a Hashut Copper base, with the tiniest highlight with a Shining Gold, followed by a wash of Agrax Earthshade to darken it again. That's good advice that their showing to thick. I'll try and thin the paint even more, so it doesn't seem so gloopy.

Glad you guys like the hint of acid on the bases. As I said before, a lot of these I got second hand and the bases were already finished. They were covered completely with basing material, but I wanted to still tie in the acid theme. I'm glad that it reads along the same lines, as the rest of the army.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #284 on: December 2, 2017, 07:23:01 AM »
G'day DoW!
I strip my second-hand models with metho first. It also strips the bases. They come up looking like new once you've put your paint job on them... Be well!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #285 on: December 2, 2017, 10:28:22 AM »
Thanks Saim-dann. I would typically use Simple Green go strip previously painted models, but I thought these guys were in pretty good shape when I bought them online. I think Cav hit the nail on the head when he suggested that I was perhaps applying the metallic paint to a previously wet coat causing it to be to thick in the wrong parts. Most of GW layer paints didn't seem to have the same issues when adding successive coats when wet, but the metallics seem to.

Was it the wet coats or the previous paint job? I blamed the previous paint job because I wasn't ready to accept responsibility. It's most likely applying metallic paint to a previous wet layer.  ::)

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #286 on: December 2, 2017, 11:27:46 AM »
I'd say it was a combo of both, mate. I don't care how thin the previous paint job is on my second hands. Will aaaaalways strip the model for max detail. Painting a second metallic coat onto a wet first coat on top of another 2/3coats of paint? Pretty sure it's a double whammy.

Strip your next one and leave a second as is. Proceed with Cavalier's suggestion on both and see if there is a difference between the two... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #287 on: December 3, 2017, 03:19:16 AM »
Great colour scheme DoW and I love the basing. I think you got the amount of acid on the base spot on...it's enough to be a spot colour and it works well with the Rifle spot colour, whilst not being so much so that it overpowers the model.

Again, I think that some of the paint just went on a bit thick. I'm sure you'll knock it out of the park on future models.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #288 on: December 3, 2017, 07:31:55 PM »
Colour scheme is still looking sweet man :)

Everyone else has covered the bases for paint thickness. I'm just waiting patiently until you cave to my wittering on to give the armour plates a rough drybrush highlight with something ;) gold or even a lighter purple would work wonders ;)

Not that I'm trying to coerce you at all ;) feel free to ignore my witterings! It's the default state of most people ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #289 on: December 14, 2017, 05:38:24 PM »
Thanks guys. I may take try out your method on some Trueborn or a dracon Ynnead to help differentiate the models. I just don't want to do it on the rank and file infantry just yet.

So I've been able to knock out a whole pile more warriors since my last post and with a huge thanks to Cav for the early Xmas present, I've been able to complete the transfers on the last two raiders. I've also designed a 1000 point list as my first play list, so that I have a set painting goal in mind and don't stray onto models that I won't need until a higher point level.

So here's some completed models for you to peruse.

The Silent Scream (999 points Patrol)

Warriors x5 blaster, blast pistol, agonizer, phantom grenade launcher

Warriors x5 blaster, blast pistol, agonizer, phantom grenade launcher

True Born x5 x2 dark lance

Incubi x5

Lhamean x4

Archon blast pistol, husk blade

Scourge x5 x4 blaster

Raider dark lance, shock prow

A unit of blaster warriors go with the incubi in a raider. The other blaster warriors go with the lhamaen and archon in another raider. The last raider is for the true born for fire support. There should be plenty of fire support with all the blasters and dark lances and the incubi and lhamaen should pack a pretty good close combat punch, supported by those phantom grenade launchers.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #290 on: December 14, 2017, 06:58:56 PM »
G'day DoW!
Your efforts have paid off, mate. They look amazing. Those raiders with 5 plus unvul, carrying 10 wounds sounds very durable. A vehicle with a WS as well, oh my!... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #291 on: December 15, 2017, 08:20:54 AM »
Looking very solid DoW. Glad those transfers are helping you get into fighting shape for the tabletop. I think your list looks very good as well. Perfect place to start with a DE force. Wouldn't change a thing. Great stuff bud keep it up!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #292 on: December 20, 2017, 04:50:22 AM »
Great little force you have there DoW. The more I see those orange transfers, the more I like them. They're such a great little counterpoint to the bright green details.

Love it all DoW! Great work!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #293 on: January 11, 2018, 06:50:50 AM »
Looking good dude :)

Yeah the good thing about finiahing touches like weathering and battle wear is that you can quite easily go back over all of your old models if and when you want to/feel comfortable with it :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #294 on: February 21, 2018, 09:32:24 PM »
Thanks so much for the kudos guys. Sorry for the absence, my basement flooded after the holidays and I've spent much of my time tearing apart floors and walls and making it somewhat habitable for my kids and more importantly to salvage my hobby space. Luckily nothing 40k related was damaged, but I've only this week reclaimed my painting table from the piled up menagerie of rubbish that one normally stashes away in a basement.

I pulled out my kabalite warriors, in the hopes of finally finishing off my troop choices, and noticed a peculiar thing. They've gone through the all the purple layering and washes and I was going to start on the weapons and other accoutrement when I noticed that the last wash of Druchii Violet, where it had pooled, had reacted to the Golden Fluid Acrylic paint and created an almost melting/bleaching affect. Not to be discouraged, I whipped out the Naggaroth Night, watered it down, and spent the next hour covering all the little gaps in the 17 remaining warriors, that had fallen victim to this discolouration.

With everything back on track, I've been able to finish off most of the rest of the paint jobs. I just have the skin, hair, tabards, and bases to complete. I left a little hint in the corner of that last photo, on what to expect next on the docket.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:36:23 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #295 on: February 22, 2018, 12:03:53 AM »
G'day, DoW!
Glad to hear you and yours are well... and the models. It's good to get back into the hobby when life keeps you from it, isn't it? Your DE are looking Micky Mouse, mate. Sorry, I don't know DE enough to guess whats in the corner to come. Just keen to see more of your work... Pointy ears forever!!   

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #296 on: February 22, 2018, 06:51:25 AM »
Dang DoW sorry about the flood! I had that happen before I moved down south and it was a nightmare. Glad you were able to get things fixed up and your models didn't get damaged.

Great work on the Kabalites. Its tough grinding through all the basic stuff but its great that you've got it done. Now the fun part begins in doing all the detail work. I always love picking out various details to make guys look unique.

Really looking forward to seeing this force finished up. Hopefully the new Dex will come out around the time you finish. Good luck bud and keep us updated!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #297 on: February 23, 2018, 12:26:32 PM »
Thanks guys. I`ve powered through over the past two days and completed all my troops. Instead of posting individual models, which I`m sure is tedious to view, I`ve grouped them into rough squads. The model counts don`t seem completely legal, but I ended up painting up some different heavy weapons options and whether or not they`ll have a sybarite.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:29:59 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #298 on: February 23, 2018, 02:38:07 PM »
Looking awesome DoW. The color scheme and the acid effects look so good. How many raiders/warrior units do you have? Because it looks like you've got almost a brigade going here. If so... epic! Totally the right direction to go IMO before a codex drops. Get those troops all done so you can then dive in and start to collect those awesome flavor units.

I hope the dex comes out soon so you and Auric's Pride can shape up your collections. Can't wait to see what direction both of you guys are gonna go.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #299 on: February 23, 2018, 09:28:34 PM »
Niiiiice!
Thank you for taking us on this journey of yours, DoW! What a great reward for you to have them finished with that quality... Pointy ears forever!!