News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000 pt list along with reports from first 4 battles  (Read 720 times)

Offline washecon

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
1000 pt list along with reports from first 4 battles
« on: June 19, 2005, 01:28:27 PM »
I am a regular SM player, but have just purchased some orks (actually a lot of em) and put together a 1000pt list. Where I play, we use 4x4 tables, usually with very little terrain (normally a small hill or woods in each corner).
Most of the players are Marines, with the occasional 'nids or chaos. I have never played an eldar or guard player (or ork for that matter)

Below is my list, along with my general idea of how to use it. Any comments/ suggestions are appreciated. At the bottom I also listed other stuff I have purchased, as I would like to not buy anything else in the near future. Again, thanks!

HQ-
Warboss w/hvy armor, cybork arm, cybork body, choppa, rokkits, big horns [104]

Elite-
None

Fast-
Trukk Boys[9] burna, w/Nob (choppa/slugga), trukk w/missle launcher, armor, riggers [135] (Warboss rides in trukk)

Troops-
Burna Boys[11] 3xburnas, 6xchoppa/slugga, mek w/kustom force field, mega busta bombs, 3 oilers [166]

Slugga Boys [19] 3 rokkits, nob (slugga/pk) [228]

Grots[18] slaver, rokkits, hound [76]

Heavy
Dreadnaught 2x rokkits, armor [90]

Killa Kans [2] both w/ big shootas and armor [100]

Killa Kans [2] both w/ skorcha and armor [100]

total 1,000 pts

I would use the dread and 2 kans to advance along the center, hopefully being behind woods the first turn, but they will have to be exposed to everything for at least one turn, moving towards their heavy stuff. They would screen the burnas and the other 2 kans. Hopefully the 2 kans and burnas make it into close combat with any heavies (dev squads or tanks/dreads).

I would have the grots screen the slugga boys and have them move along the flank, hoping that the dreads are the more tempting target and try to get into h2h.

I would keep the trukk with the warboss inside, back from all the action, and then use the destroyed dread/kans (which I am sure will happen) as a screen, and then moving into close combat the next turn.

If the Kans all get creamed, hopefully there will be plenty of cover for the trukk boys and the slugga boys.

I know there are not a ton of boys for the list, but I am hoping that 5 walkers will freak people out in such a small game (where people usually have only a tank and maybe a dev squad).

Other stuff I have (and not put together yet...)

16 storm boys
12 nobs (3 are in mega armor)
small squad of hard boys, but could also be skarboys (i could field maybe 20)
one more dreadnaught
more grots (like another 20 or so)
40 or so more boys that I could equip as slugga
12 boys that could either be tank bustas or stinkbommas (athought I need to get some missles for them)
3 boys with big shootas

Thanks for all of your help (in advance). WAAAAAAAAGH!!!
« Last Edit: August 9, 2005, 02:18:48 PM by washecon »

Offline Major Krämer

• Major
  • Kill the Xenos, purge the Xenos, burn the Xenos!!!
Re: Newbie with Orks: First attempt at 1000pt list. thnx
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 01:56:03 PM »
Pretty much stuff you go there, first of all some fluff suggestions, ork RPG are called Rokkit launcha's, so if you are an Ork you have to follow Adrian Wood's sacred words. When you play orks, be sure to act as an Ork

Ok , let's be serious know. This is a pretty neat list I have to say.

I suppose the warboss goes with the Trukkboys, isn't it? Good tactic. I suggest you directly behind the kans as they will block LOS against the trukk, so you can be pretty close to the enemy in a no time rmember, move 12" trukk, unload at "2, charge 6" thats 50 cm!

I would suggest that you  you add some more Boyz to the burna boyz squad, as hey will be shot down in a no time, and it will be easier to make the Waagh test when you charge, having 12 neat I4 power weapon attacks. Advance yor Kans and Dreadnought in a solid line so units behind them won't be shot. I'd drop 4 boyz from the Slugga Boyz and give them to the Burna Boyz. As you'll be using Grotz, which ain't what they used to be but still are great you dont need to cover the slugga mob, advance proudly and shoot the Big shootas, which I would use instead of the Missile Launcher, on them. Remember to pick them out ascasualties when you are near the enemy as they will have one less attack with no choppa. I would also give Rokkit Launchas to the Kans, as Skorchas are Ok against swarms, but as you'll mostly face Marines, I'll use Rokkit Launchas instead.

Pretty  solid I must say, hope everythin goes fine. Welcome to da bunch!
Oberst Krämer, commander-in-chief of the XIIº Regiment
of the DEATH KORPS OF KRIEG, also known as the black shadows

Offline washecon

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 01:53:13 PM »
Thanks for the advice! I filled in the burna unit and swapped out rokkits for big shootas in the boys mob. I gave rokkits to one mob of kans. I left skorchas for the other, as I will have them behind the dread and other 2 kans, so no LOS until they get in close (where skorchas will be useful).
And yes, the idea is to put the warboss in with the trukk boys.

Hopefully I will finish painting in the next 2 weeks and then get a chance to try it out. Any other thoughts from you Vet. ork players would be great.

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
  • Orks is never beaten. only banned
    • Tellyport to the Ork Board Now
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 02:29:18 PM »
Washecon,

Your biggest problem will be getting into Hand-to-Hand.  I am thinking you MIGHT have an easier time since you play on a small table.  Here's hoping!  The sparse terrain will be a problem.  Usually, an Ork needs lots of Boyz because so many get shot while on the way over.  It sounds to me like you are dealing with the shortage in a sensible way... by using the Kans as a distraction.  All your Boyz will likely get slaughtered, but if you can just get those Kans into Combat, Ah, it will be worth it.

In your favour:

1 - the Trukk.  This moves fast, so hopefully you will be able to get your Orks out onto the table and charge some marines.  Read the rules on Open Topped Vehicles if you already haven't... in particular, the part about how you can disembark and charge in the same turn.  With just a *Little* luck, you will have enough range on that badboy to get into hand-to-hand right away.

2 - The 4 Kanz - These can be cover, as you said.  Use them to cover your Dread or your Burna Boyz or both.  If the enemy can't draw a LOS through them, you are safe.  If they get shot, free cover!  They might blow up and kill Boyz, but I wouldn't worry about that since it is rare and since you can't do much about it.

3 - The Grots - These are pretty important.  They are horrible at fighting, but just pretend you are buying armour for the Boyz.  If they are shot, awesome!  They did their job.  If they are not shot, they can open fire on the enemy when they get in range.  I like to give the Slaver Tankbusta Bombz because if I can use 'em, might easilly get back the points I spent on the Grot Unit.

4 - Choppas.  Against Space Marines you need these.  Good for you!

5 - Burnas.  Good idea!  Orks do great with these.

Please tell us how your first game turns out!
Sol
BANNED - because spamming catches up with you in the end.  Especially someone who uses a school server to host Orks and loli.

Orks iz BEST cause we were made to FIGHT and WIN

Offline washecon

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: August 7, 2005, 03:19:09 PM »
Ok, so I have had 4 battles with orks since posting this list. Two at 600 pts, one at 700pts and the last with the full 1000pts.

For the first 600 pt game vs marines, I dropped the dread and 3 kans (kept 1 can) and the trukk boys. Game was pretty even, but in turn 5 I got all the boys into h2h and it was over.

Game 2 (700 pt) vs guard, basically jsut dropped the dread and 3 kans, and a few boys. The trukk boys hit h2h in turn 2 and it was pretty much over from there. They took out half the army. I don't think the slugga boys took a casuality until they got into h2h.

Game 3 (1000 pt) vs marines. Was pretty even the first 2 turns, but my trukk got into h2h in turn 3 and then the rest of my boys hit the line. He was concentrating on the kans and dread. I killed every model he had and still had a dread, 2 kans and about 15 boys.

Gave 4 (600 pt) vs sisters of battle. Wanted to keep the trukk boys, so i dropped the dread and kans and stripped down the slugga squad to like 15 boys and took out one or two from the burna squad. He destroyed the grots by turn 2, but then I had a lot of boys in close. Sisters are VERY weak in h2h against orks. Orks hit on 3s, wound on 4s and with WAAGH, have a higher init. He gave up after turn 4 cause he said there was no way for him to win.

Ok, so thoughts after the 4 games.

My favorite unit so far is definately the grots. Between the cover saves and making every unit take a leadership test to shoot at the boys behind them, they have played a big part in 3 of the 4 battles.

I have been suprised how effective the basic ork is in hand to hand. Even though they have no save and only a 3 strength, it seems like i get so many attacks (and the opponent gets so few) that it really doesn't matter. Even when only 4 or 5 orks make it into combat, it is still a lot of attacks, especially against the guard and sisters opponents.

I also LOVE the burna boys. Just laying down a couple of templates before the tide charges in definately rattles people a little. Plus the added advantage of using them as power weapons if I don't shoot.

I should also say that although the trukk boys don't kill a ton of people, and my warboss is not really a monster in hand to hand, they tend to tie up at least one squad, if not two, for a full turn, which is long enough to get my boys into striking distance. Really, with the exception of 1 game, people have not been able to spend round after round shooting bolters into my orks, which is great for me!

The kans have not been super useful, but they do keep a lot of fire off of the boys. One marine player shot at a single kan 3 turns with a unit of 6 marines (one had a lascannon) before killing it. I was just thinking what those bolter rounds could have done to my boys..ouch!

Did have a question about mobing up. If a unit fails to mob up, they can retest the next turn if they are still within 6 inches after they fall back, correct? And once they mob up, they get a 6 inch move, correct?

Thanks for all the help and I will be adding another 500 to this list soon, (probably hard boys and storm boys but i am not definate yet).

Thanks again
« Last Edit: August 7, 2005, 03:40:46 PM by washecon »

Offline Apathizer

• "A witty saying proves nothing." ~Voltaire
Re: 1000 pt list along with reports from first 4 battles
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 05:07:03 PM »
Sounds like you had a great first few games, there!

Trukk Boyz are definitely my favorite Fast Attack choice by far. In 1500 points I have two mobs of them. They do wonders when it comes to tying up enemy heavy hitters. I had a marine player crying once when his terminators disappeared under a hail of swinging choppas in turn 2. Those nasty 4x heavy bolter devestator squads suddenly don't seem so intimidating when they are tied up by trukk boyz.

Sounds like your Kanz did exactly what they usually seem to do, get shot so your boyz don't. They make a great distraction, but with the prevalence of the hidden powerfist these days, they rarely do much if they make it to combat, which is unfortunate.

'Ard boys are a better pick on sparse tables than Stormboyz, if you ask me. Stormboyz have a nasty tendency of getting killed quickly on sparse tables. 'Ard boyz should hold up a little better with their improved saves.

You may want to drop the dread in favor of more boyz. Save it for larger games.

As to your mobbing up questions, yes and yes.
There is a not a shred of evidence in favor of the idea that life is serious.