News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000 Points - More Dakka!  (Read 1209 times)

Offline West996

• Common sense is a myth.
1000 Points - More Dakka!
« on: February 2, 2010, 09:17:33 PM »
So i just through this together at work. My goal was to squeeze 30 lootas into 1000 points. What I want to know is how you will think it will preform.

HQ

Big Mekk - KFF - 85pts

Troops

30 Sluggaz / Nob+PK+BP - 220pts

25 Shootas / Nob+PK+BP - 190pts

10 Gretchin + Ruth - 40pts

Elites

15 Lootas - 225

15 Lootas - 225

985 pts

That is 15 points left over that I had a couple options but I'll leave that to you guys for a little breathing room.

The plan would be to march the Boyz up protected by the KFF, the Gretchin hold m,y objective and the Lootas blast away. I think that many 1000 point lists may find it hard to deal with 30 Lootas on the field. I am worried though that I am unbalancing my list too much and creating more disadvantages then advantages.

Offline OldCrow

• Mekboy
Re: 1000 Points - More Dakka!
« Reply #1 on: February 3, 2010, 12:54:28 AM »
Hey West996

30 Lootas is nuts, I run 24 of them in my 1750 list and frankly they just kill everything.  In two turns they killed 3 Zoanthropes a hive tyrant and two carnies.  They just lay the smack down.

Keep in mind they are fragile so in cover if possible.  The key to this army is laying down a torrent of fire and thinning out the enemy for the boyz.  The gretchin are a nice idea and one of the few armies i think they will really benefit.

I would throw two more boyz into the shoota squad.  You won't ever have too many boyz.  Other than that I'm not sure what you could do with that 15 Pt's.

I think this list will work well and you may even get called cheesy depending on how well you roll for those lootas.  When you roll up that 3 shots on them, saviour it.  Picking up 45 autocannon shots from one squad is something those imperial guard loonies could only dream of!

For using this list.  You need to make sure with your lootas you stick to your target priority.  The boyz in this army are here for clean up duty.  Lootas are the killers.  Test it out and let us know how it goes!

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!!
OldCrow

Offline In_Theory

« Reply #2 on: February 3, 2010, 08:32:34 PM »
I'd agree with stickin more shoota boyz in if you can.

It is a pretty sick list, though I'd say it will be vulnerable to fast and maneuverable opponents like Eldar or Speed Freekz... they will be able to skim around your lines and rush the Lootas to prevent them from getting too many shots off.

Otherwise, this list will pretty much obliterate slower Tyranid lists and very likely give anything not able to close with you in a single turn a big hurt.

Like OldCrow said- tuck the Lootas into cover and use the boyz to screen and clean up. The Lootas should target priority anything fast enough to cross the board... you won't be fast enough to react to vehicles, so drop them first.
In 1000pts. there won't be much short of a LandRaider+Termies that will give you trouble.

Offline linnessi

• IDK
« Reply #3 on: February 3, 2010, 09:57:45 PM »
if i had this list i would probably keep the lootas back(if it wasn'y obvious enough) to thin out enemy lines move the sluggas as far up as possible with the big mek, and put the shootas not to far behind the sluggas, but not to far ahead of the lootas, so they can screen any fast attacking units that try and go for the lootas(which are the backbone of your army).as for the grots just have do what there supposed to do . chill on the objective

Offline JimmyHatfield

• Ork Boy
  • It looks like that guy fell on a can of red paint
« Reply #4 on: February 3, 2010, 10:13:08 PM »
Whereas I would spend the additional points on adding 5 Gretchin to your objective squad.  This would let them maybe take a round of fire and still retain a fearless leadership.  Adding a bit of survivability might come in real handy in those last 2 rounds. 

Offline DreadPirate

• YAAAAARGH!
« Reply #5 on: February 3, 2010, 10:46:42 PM »
Honestly, with that 15 pts I would just give your Big Mek a Cybork Body and 'eavy Armor.

And use the grots as Cover when you need to screen your Lootas in a Kill Point mission. Other then that this list is just sickening XD have fun and tell us how many people complain about the list

Offline West996

« Reply #6 on: February 4, 2010, 12:13:45 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys.

I'll posts battle reports when they happen.  ;D

Offline disschord

• Warphead
  • DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA
« Reply #7 on: February 4, 2010, 05:14:44 AM »
i would buy boys and i would split the lootas in to 3 squads of 10. to force them to split fire and allow you to if needed.
and loosing 10 is not as bad as 15.

if was playing you i would be hard pushed to choose the greatest danger lootas in turn1/2 will seem nasty but if the boys are not brought down in size by turn 3/4 things could go bad.

nice list good luck
To Slugg or to chop that is the question

Offline West996

« Reply #8 on: February 5, 2010, 01:50:13 AM »
I was thinking of splitting them up and it is something that I will try in a few games just to test it out. I'm thinking though that at 15 they are still fearless until they loose 4 models, where as at 10 they are testing on normal leadership almost right away. I'd rather keep them fearless for a round and not have to take that leadership test if I loose any to shooting.

As I said though it will take some play testing to see which really works better.

Offline West996

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 07:24:36 PM »
This game finally did happen.

I did end up fielding the Lootas in 3 different groups. I liked the idea of being able to choose one extra target and making it harder for my opponent to line of sight my units. I will talk about the specific out come of this choice a little later on.

I don't want to write a turn for turn battle report as I don't feel it is necessary for this particular battle. We rolled  a multiple objective game. Five objectives to be exact. One in the top right corner, bottom right corner, bottom left corner, one in the center far right, and one in the very center of the board.

I was deployed on "bottom" half of the boards in relation to how the objectives were described.

The game ended in a draw with me holding one, him holding one, two objectives contested and one objective free.

I made a few obvious mistakes. Because of the KFF I tried too hard to keep my only two troop choices together instead of rushing in there and killing marines. So I took more fire then I had too. Although I couldn't have done too much more because both  my troop choices were contesting an objective, it was actually my Gretchin who scored for me. I held them in reserve, they came on turn three to the bottom right corner taking that objective. My opponent didn't have any long range fire power to take them down and were too busy to physically go after them.

My group of shootas did their job and when they encountered one of his marine units they made short work of it. He even got the charge. I shot at him on my turn killing 2 of 8 marines, he failed his test and fell back. Consequently I took another turn of rapid fire and his charge. It took me two turns stomp his unit.

My sluggaz though never got into combat. That was the big mistake I made trying to keep them in KFF range rather then rushing forward, or I might have been able to clear that second objective. Some big obstacles I faced though were his Rune Priest. Yes he added in a Rune Priest. He took murderous Huricane, which when used on a boyz unit makes me roll 30 dangerous terrain dice in every phase, move, run and assault. That slowed me down a lot.

The other big thing was that even if I could kill off his marines, he just had so much armor on the field that he could tank shock in and contest anyway. I can't get rid of all that armor.

That brings me to the Lootas. It is very hard to bring down a Vin with Lootas, needing 6's just to glance front armor. Since Lootas are not mobile he has to choose to give you side armor. When he did turn 4 I killed his Vin, but not before.

I made the mistake of deploying two close with one group of 10 lootas, loosing 5 of them to a VIN template.  Those 3 remaining he ignored and they were the ones to later take the Vin out. I lost one full unit to a VIN template when he killed enough to make them run off the board. This is where maybe fielding them in two groups of 15 would have been better but it is hard to say.

The third Loota group still had 8 models at the end of the game. It had immobilized 2 Rhinos and wrecked a 3rd.

All and all I think that I could have done with out the KFF. I think he is much more worth while if you are fielding Mech. I think I could have used a green missile to combat those Vins better. I know it is more points but I think I could fit him in by making both boyz units 25. I figure he can save at least that many boyz lives by taking out the Vin earlier.  Either that or I really could use a Deffkopta with rockets. I have no idea how I would fit that in though.

Things I would change as funny as it is are the Gretchin. They're great.

Thoughts?

Offline kadeton

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 11:50:15 PM »
Nice writeup! Good to see your tactics developing as you go.

I wouldn't have split up the Lootas, personally - since there was a lot of enemy armour, I'd prefer to be more secure in taking out two tanks a turn than having a shaky chance at three. The Fearless rule for big squads is also obviously handy, and possibly would have saved your squad that ran off the board.

Murderous Hurricane would be horrible for footsloggers. Fortunately for me my regular Wolf opponent is addicted to JoWW. :P

For extra AT (and extra Orky random fun!) you could always switch it up and replace your Mek with a Weirdboy and a Green Baron. Or give the Mek a SAG and stick him with the Lootas. Green missiles are for people who just want to win. ;)

Offline West996

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 01:14:37 AM »
Ha, well to be honest if I included a SAG I would put it with the Gretchin. This does a couple things. One, it does not force my lootas to shoot at the same unit as my SAG, and vise versa. Two, it does force my opponent to shoot or attack one or the other. No two birds for one stone.

Fielding either a Loota or a Weird is something I will try in the future, you are right in saying that they are very Orky and fun, if less tactically sound.