News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Game Table (Pic Heavy~)  (Read 3258 times)

Offline Bert_the_Turtle

• Major
  • Rule #1: Pillage THEN burn.
Game Table (Pic Heavy~)
« on: November 20, 2009, 02:54:29 PM »
Not technically Terrain~ But this is the closest subforum ^^

Its a Gaming Tabletop. There are three panels and we're going to get the hardware so that they can be attached and detached for storage and playing.

We're also going to be painting the top with the Chalk Board paint, so we can draw on rivers and what have you in addition to our normal terrain. Making an actual river would be rather complicated since this isn't a terrain board just a flat playing surface we can use.

To give an idea of the size, the Tape Measure is pulled out to 12 inches.

The board is MDF and the framework is just wood. Put together with nails, screws, and wood glue.

"You know the other team is f'd when we're using military hand signals to communicate  :P" -My Buddy Himitsu

Offline Jualhadun87

• Yar!
Re: Game Table (Pic Heavy~)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 11:11:14 AM »
Looks good, I just finished a very similar board, using pretty much the same materials.  We framed it up in 1 by 2 finished wood trim to give it strength and a finished look.  We built it in 2x4 boards that the top material came in and framed each piece separately and then drilled holed on the sides so the pieces can bolt together.  We have a total of 6 so far so we can reconfigure them and bolt them together for multiple tables or a single table of various sizes.  We thought about doing the chalkboard paint, but didn't really know how it would look after a while of use and also I didn't want to think too hard about the horrible sounds dragging things across the board would make  :).  I would love to hear how yours works.  We ended up just painting it with a gray enamel for now.  Heres a picture or two of mine:

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Offline Bert_the_Turtle

• Major
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 12:26:48 PM »
Thanks ^^

Yours looks pretty darn spiffy.

I hadn't considered that sound @_@

But its probably a fair trade off ^^ I'm hoping to prime today so we can paint the chalkboard coat on this week.

"You know the other team is f'd when we're using military hand signals to communicate  :P" -My Buddy Himitsu

Offline Only Slightly Crazy

• Those Damm commies! Impurifing our bodily fluids!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 01:50:33 PM »
Very nice, the two of you.

@ Bert Will you be using hills and other tall gibbin's? And I assume terrain is modular, correct?
DISCLAMER! Any thing offensive can be considered a joke in bad taste. Thank you!

Offline Bert_the_Turtle

• Major
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 03:49:02 PM »
Thanks~ ^^

Well~ We're planning to manufacture hills. And we have the reactor and clocktower. And we're making tall grass pieces. But nothing links in directly with the board itself. Its just a flat large area to play on. Moving the living room furniture around and taping down the boundaries on the rug sucks.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 10:24:35 PM »
Cool, I've seen those peices on the site.

One tip, be aware that a pet might "volunteer" as a mountain or a hill, albiet a moving one. :)
DISCLAMER! Any thing offensive can be considered a joke in bad taste. Thank you!

Offline Bert_the_Turtle

• Major
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 11:23:54 PM »
Hahahaha! That ain't right!

"Come back Scruffy! I need you to block Line of Sight!"

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 06:37:31 PM »
Or, we could use you, Bert. You wouldn't be going anywhere. ;)
Anyhoo, got more pics?

Offline Bert_the_Turtle

• Major
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 09:14:35 PM »
Not yet~ Between Thanksgiving preperations and the Rain we haven't gotten a chance to paint it up yet.

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 09:34:11 PM »
Use stuffing as rubble, I dare you. Anyway, are you going to go with any one theme? Like have the board modelled as a grassland, winter-death-land, or city? Sorry if you already answered this question.

Offline Bert_the_Turtle

• Major
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 12:07:03 AM »
No theme. Just Chalkboard Paint. *Points Up*

That way we can slap down whatever terrain pieces we want and use colored chalk to draw on other things like Water Features or demarkating the boundaries of area terrain.

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 12:10:40 AM »
So its basically a big, out of place chalkboard?

Cool idea. Thats why I always play on the floor, you can move almost everything.

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 12:12:36 AM »
Cool idea, have you seen the magnetic chalk paint yet? My wife used it at the Sunday school room at church. using that stuff you could either chalk up terrain or use it to hold magnetised stuff to it (I wonder if they still make the printable sheet magnets...).
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline Bert_the_Turtle

• Major
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 01:03:49 AM »
*Nodnod* We were planning to use the "magnetic" paint. But, its pretty expensive and the benefits didn't really outweigh the cost in ours minds, considering we'd need to magnetize all of our armies. And he's Orks and I'm Imperial Guard haha.

But the Chalkboard paint definitely struck me as something we'd get a lot of use out of. Considering we'd need to design boards to add any sort of water feature and we'd be stuck with it in one configuration. This way isn't as pretty but its a hell of a lot more practical.

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 11:48:04 AM »
I meant to magnetise terrain; there used to be sheet magnets that you could run through a home printer. You could use those to make roads, water, grass, rubble than the magnetic paint would hold the features down.

Besides, how dare you imply that a game table is not worth unlimited amounts of money; shouldn't you sell a small child or car to make sure its perfect?  ;D
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline Bert_the_Turtle

• Major
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 06:23:26 PM »
Now that would be spiffy! But that's the sort of thing we can draw on since its a chalkboard.

ALRIGHTY!

Update!

Sorry, between the Holidays, the Weather, and Sickness, the project was put on an extended hold. But now its almost done!

Below are pictures of the felt on the bottom of the game table that we just finished gluing on today, and pictures of the chalkboard top.

The last step is readying the chalkboard surface for use by covering it in chalk and erasing it.

« Last Edit: February 9, 2010, 05:02:33 PM by Bert_the_Turtle »