News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 7th Edition Tau?  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Shas'La robo

• For the Greater GOOD!!... and the Emperor
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Tau
7th Edition Tau?
« on: July 24, 2014, 09:17:42 PM »
How has the new rule set affected the Tau??
Are any units better/worse then before, any chances of often ignored units making a comeback?

Haven't yet purchased the rules, only had a mate explain whats different prior to a quick game.

robo
hug cover, shoot the big ones, and cripple the fast ones. if those cant be achieved, kill em all.  8)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: 7th Edition Tau?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 03:54:14 PM »
The only substantial difference I see in how this edition has affected Tau is in their Antitank options. One-shot mega weapons (Railguns, Ion Accelerators, fusion blasters, etc.) are now a full 33% less likely to one-shot vehicles. This makes things like Fusion Piranhas, Ion Riptides, and Railheads less effective in those roles.

I expect to see a lot more Ion Cannons on Hammerheads and there is actually now a real reason to take the big Pulse Cannon on a Riptide, in that it is a better anti-tank weapon on the whole (assuming you nova charge the gun, which you obviously should).

Other than that, it's more-or-less the same as 6th Edition. Minor tweaks here and there, but nothing to write home about so far as I can tell.

Offline GreaterGoodIreland

• When in doubt, railguns.
  • Armies: Tau, Grey Knights
« Reply #2 on: August 7, 2014, 01:46:31 PM »
Increases the value of the standard plas-missile suits as well surely, in that their AT role is better than ever? I haven't got my hands on the book but it seems obvious from commentary that low AP and more shots is a far better proposition than lascannon/railgun type weaponry.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: August 7, 2014, 02:46:39 PM »
It's really all about Strength and number of shots, and not about AP. AP2 weapons have very small odds of getting a vehicle kill, especially when paired with S6. If anything, I'd say plasma rifles went *down* in worth.

Missile Pods, missile pods, missile pods. Then Fusion blasters. Everything else is for killing infantry and Ork Trukks.