News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Codex Adeptus Arbites for 6th Edition (Updated 03/04/2014)  (Read 9308 times)

Offline Ambience 327

Codex Adeptus Arbites for 6th Edition (Updated 03/04/2014)
« on: July 18, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
6th Edition Warhammer 40,000 has hit, and it is an exciting time. The new Allies rules look to allow a mostly satisfying, tournament-legal Arbites force using Codex Imperial Guard with Allies drawn from Codex Grey Knights (mostly Coteaz and his Henchmen warbands - Crusaders w/ Power Mauls FTW!) However, I am never quite satisfied with these "counts-as" options as they always leave something to be desired. While the current combo is pretty good, and covers most of the units I would want to include in my Arbites force, the fact that I am limited to a maximum of two of the Henchman Warbands makes the full customization of my army a bit more difficult.

Thus, I present to you my latest home-brew Codex for the Adeptus Arbites - this one built specifically for 6th Edition Warhammer 40,000.

Link to PDF: Codex Arbites 6th Edition
(Last updated 03/04/2014)

The "Designer's Notes" section on the front page explain most of what I want to say at the moment, so please take a look and let me know what you think!

Beyond that, I wanted to solicit opinions on whether the army list is "complete" as-is, or if there are any other units I should still add. The top of the list, in my opinion, of units not in the army list that might need added would be Penal Legion squads and PDF platoons, or maybe a single unit entry that would allow you to field something similar, as well as various other units like the Mutant Press Gangs and Citizen Levy as found in my 5th Edition Codex (see my sig for a link to that thread).

Offline Ambience 327

Re: Codex Adeptus Arbites for 6th Edition
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 01:42:15 PM »
Version 1.3 Uploaded. Various tweaks and minor changes, based on playtesting and suggestion.

Change log:

- Added the Torrent rule to the the Web Cannon as it just seemed a little lackluster and forced vehicles armed with it to advance very close to the enemy. This allows slightly more mid-ranged shooting to occur, and gives those vehicles a wider threat range and more use for the Strikedown rule.

- The Shock Lance for Judges has be restricted to mounted models only. The idea of an Arbites Judge charging headlong on foot with a long spear just didn't jive with what I wanted the Arbites to be.

- Added a note about IC's who take a Cyber-Mastiff still being allowed to join units. I want to encourage robo-puppies, and limiting IC's who take one doesn't do that.

- Added a note requiring you to declare the use of a Spotting Scope prior to shooting. This is how it was meant to be, but it could have been interpreted differently.

- Fixed a few minor formatting errors and typos, and cleaned up a few rules descriptions to make them more clear.

- Cleared up a small bit of confusion in the Shield Wall Formation rule. Their Initiative 10 from the Shield Wall rule does indeed allow them to Pile In at Initiative Step 10 before they make their Attacks.

- Cleaned up the wording on the Disciplined Fire rule a bit.

- Reduced the cost of Heavy Stubbers to 10 points across the board.

- Reduced Grapplehawk cost to 10 points. (The just weren't cost effective for what they did.) Chasteners still get their discount.

- Reduced the cost of Power Mauls for the Personal Staff to 5.

- Changed the Personal Staff to be an Elites unit rather than HQ. It still doesn't take up a Force Org slot. This will really only affect very specific scenarios where the distinction between HQ/Elites becomes important.

- Changed the response team from 2 specials/heavies per 5 to a straight 4 specials/heavies and added the option for the Proctor to take a Storm Bolter. I realized this would allow people to field the classic "Executioner Team" with their four heavy bolters on five models, and there is plenty of precedent for small squads with lots of special/heavy weapons (SM Devastators, SOB Dominions, IG Veterans etc). I also upped their cost by 1 pt/model to account for this. Hopefully being an Elites Unit will prevent them from being overly spammed.

- Allowed 10-man pursuit teams to take one more Cyber-Mastiff.

Offline Ambience 327

Re: Codex Adeptus Arbites for 6th Edition (Updated 09/13/2012)
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 09:01:31 AM »
New version uploaded. Change log:

Updated the Fire Support Team to limit lascannons and plasma cannons to 1 per Heavy Support Choice.

Simplified and toned down the Shield Wall Formation rules for the Initiative a bit, and added a special bit about improving the cover save they grant to other units if they are the intervening models.

Updated Suppression Shields to bring them closer in-line with Storm Shields while still making them an attractive option and representative of their fluff and the old "energy surge on the charge" effect by removing the "counts as a close combat weapon" but adding Counter Attack on top of the Hammer of Wrath they already had.

Removed Counter Attack from Suppression Teams, since they will now get it from their shields. Also reduced their points cost by 2 points per model to reflect the decrease in their close-combat prowess due to the changes to Shield Wall Formation and Suppression Shields.

Added Missile Lock to the Eagle, and changed it from a twin-linked missile launcher to 2 missile launchers.

Beefed up the Halligan a bit to make it a more attractive option in comparison to the Fire Support Team.

- Improved the Halligan Missile Launcher to Heavy 2 and Twin-Linked to make it a bit more accurate and damaging so that the Halligan can fulfill its role of armour-buster more effectively.

- Added a Transport Capacity of 6, allowing it to carry a unit forward. It was already generally advancing a bit to get in range of enemy armour, so this provides a bit more utility to the vehicle. (No fire points means it can't act as a mobile bunker - merely a nice APC.)

- Allowed it to take up to two Hunter-Killer Missiles for a bit more early-game punch - at a hefty cost though.

- Upped the cost to 70 pts to reflect some of these changes (though it was needing a bit of beefing up anyway, so I didn't raise it much).

Raised the cost of the Twin-Linked Web Cannons on the Castigator just a tad. The addition of Torrent to the Web Cannon made this just a wee bit too effective for the cost.

Added a small selection of special characters for a bit of extra flavor. (I wanted to get the main codex more or less working properly before adding them - that point has been reached I think.)

Offline Ambience 327

Re: Codex Adeptus Arbites for 6th Edition (Updated 10/05/2012)
« Reply #3 on: October 5, 2012, 02:32:18 PM »
Version 1.5 uploaded!

- Removed the requirement for characters attached to a Suppression Team to be equipped with suppression shields for the Shield Wall Formation rule to work, but added a restriction that at least 3 models in the unit must be equipped with suppression shields.

- Swapped in Mastopper Shells for Standard Shells on the Arbites Combat Shotgun. Now they are a bit more powerful, but still don't outshine the basic bolter. They are more flexible thanks to the Assault 2 Manstoppers, better against units in cover due to the Executioners, at slightly better in the 13"-18" range band. Bolters still equal or beat the Shotguns in pure firepower in the 1"-12" range band, and still outrange them with their 24" max range.

- Added the Riot Shield as an option for Characters, Patrol Teams, Response Teams, Pursuit Teams and the Personal Staff. For now, I have them granting the Stealth special rule, and adding +1 to the model's Armour Save in close combat only. I figure this allows them to add some protection in all cases, without being OP and still being vulnerable to some things (AP4 or better templates, AP3 or better close combat weapons).

- Raised the cost of plasma guns and melta guns on Response Teams to 15 points to take into account how useful these can be in large numbers.

- Added the Book of the Law as an option for Judges, allowing him to provide a bit of inspirational support for those under their command. Also added as an option for Judge Spartacus, and as standard wargear for Judge Schindler. (Raised her cost a bit to compensate.)

- Added the Forensus and Medi-pack as an either/or option for Judges, allowing them to provide a bit of support in smaller games where you wouldn't want a full Personal Staff, or to spread around extra support in larger games. I figure since Judges can come from anywhere within the Arbites hierarchy, they might have skills from either the Investigative or Medicae branches that they continue to practice.

- Reduced the base cost of the Judge to 60 points.

- Reduced the base cost of the Detective to 30 points.

- Added shroud grenades as an option for most characters and Suppression Team and Response Teams.

- Added the ability for Choke Grenades to grant an additional +1 to cover saves when a unit equipped with them goes to ground. (Requires at least 3 grenade-armed models in the unit to use.)

- Added a new special character - Lord Marhsal Luthir Verremon Goreman, who appears in the "Book of Judgement" supplement for the Dark Heresy role playing game.

Offline Ambience 327

Re: Codex Adeptus Arbites for 6th Edition (Updated 10/22/2012)
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 01:47:38 PM »
- Cleaned up a number of minor typos and errors.

- Updated the Summary page, which I had forgotten to do with the 1.5 update.

- Added the "Independent Character" rule to the Detective. This was an ommission that has now been rectified.

- Updated the Transport Capacity sections of many vehicles, indicating which are unable to carry models with any of the Bulky special rules.

- Added a list of Judge-specific Warlord Traits.

- Added default Warlord Traits for all HQ Special Characters.

Offline Ambience 327

Re: Codex Adeptus Arbites for 6th Edition (Updated 10/22/2012)
« Reply #5 on: November 1, 2012, 02:03:50 PM »
New version uploaded!

- Changed Choke Grenades to S1, AP5 and added Poisoned(5+).

- Added "Monster Hunters" to the list of rules the Spotting Scope can grant.

- Moved Dark Angels from Battle Brothers to Allies of Convenience. This just makes a bit more sense.

- Added "Goreman's Mandate", allowing the Personal Staff to count as a scoring unit, as well as allowing members to split off from it in order to join other units (like Wolf Guard).

- Updated the Personal Staff entry, clarifying that they may be taken along with Special Characters as well.

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
Re: Codex Adeptus Arbites for 6th Edition (Updated 11/01/2012)
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 05:37:29 PM »
Very nice. A logical and professional-looking list. I like that it's clearly not a 'my force should be best' army - the rules if anything putting them at a disadvantage against most armies, especially the Thin Blue Line (on that note, shouldn't it be the Thin Black Line?) which is likely to grant them the penalties of going first without the advantage.

Generic Combat and Patrol teams are simple enough and look good. They're better than guard grenadiers due to their small arms and Disciplined Fire (though admittedly that's a minor thing), but not catastrophically so, especially when the guard pull out an extra assault weapon and 'proper' heavy weapons.

I'd personally comment that plasma guns are generally worth more than the other weapon options (+5 relative seems common), especially with the changes to rapid fire.

Equally, whilst choke grenades are nice, I'd personally just use them to replace frags - the two weapons are similar enough that the choice is somewhat pointless against 90% of targets. There's no rule that says grenade launchers must have a frag option, and this is just simpler.

Suppression teams are also fair enough - as you note yourself, it's basically a slight reworking of a crusader henchman unit.

I can't, however, convince myself that the response team is worth it. Yes, all right, deep strike and outflank, but you can only ever use one of those at once and most people only pay a point or so for that ability. I'm not knocking shock grenades per se, but given that this unit really doesn't want to get too close (might a webber option make sense?), if you're ever in a position to use them it's not a good thing for you, so I'm not sure they're worth that much in this case. (By comparison, they're ideal on a suppression squad). All right, you can take umpty-ump assault weapons, but generally devastator-analogues make the heavy weapons more expensive, not the dudes holding them.

Not sure why the eagle is rear armour 11; even front-line gunships (like the vendetta) arent.

Love the special characters, especially Calpurnia and Goremann.

The only other unit I might suggest is something akin to a 'breaching force' - designed to go into an occupied hab-block and clear it. Suppression squads are a riot screen, but HRT/SWAT building clearance is a different matter. I guess that's the response team with riot shields?

The one thing I don't get the riot shield rules - if it's a gunfire shield, +1 armour save vs range seems to make more sense than vs melee; stealth really isn't that good a rule for a close-quarter unit already in carapace plate. For that matter, if you want to steal an existing rule, consider the Badab War rule for siege mantlets - essentially what these are - reroll saves vs ranged attacks but can't run or use additional ccw.

Equally, Horus Heresy book 1 has Hardened Armour for boarding/breaching marines - designed to give protection when storming close quarter environments, which gives improved protection against blast and template weapons specifically.

Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 12:54:18 PM »
Very nice. A logical and professional-looking list. I like that it's clearly not a 'my force should be best' army - the rules if anything putting them at a disadvantage against most armies, especially the Thin Blue Line (on that note, shouldn't it be the Thin Black Line?) which is likely to grant them the penalties of going first without the advantage.

Thank you very much for your comments. They are greatly appreciated. I am glad my efforts, specifically to make a balanced list, have not gone unnoticed. As far as "Thin Blue Line", this is kind of a running joke/tradition born from the Adeptus Arbites Garrison on Yahoo Groups. So it stays - but feel free to call it black if you want...  :D

Generic Combat and Patrol teams are simple enough and look good. They're better than guard grenadiers due to their small arms and Disciplined Fire (though admittedly that's a minor thing), but not catastrophically so, especially when the guard pull out an extra assault weapon and 'proper' heavy weapons.

Your comment on Disciplined Fire keys in on one of the things I am most proud of with this list. Is it an advantage? Sure. Is it huge? No. Does it let the Arbites play using just slightly different strategies than other armies? Definitely. That is what I tried to do with many of the rules I created (including things like Thin Blue Line and Shield Wall Formation). Rules that add character, without being overpowered, are what I strive for.

I'd personally comment that plasma guns are generally worth more than the other weapon options (+5 relative seems common), especially with the changes to rapid fire.

I will take this under advisement, but so far I have not seen a need for such a difference, as Arbites forces prize Meltas quite highly due to a lack of overall Anti-Armour, and heavy bolters and grenade launchers are very versatile, so there doesn't seem to be anything pushing the plasma gun over the top of the others in either effectiveness or desirability as far as how the army actually plays.

Equally, whilst choke grenades are nice, I'd personally just use them to replace frags - the two weapons are similar enough that the choice is somewhat pointless against 90% of targets. There's no rule that says grenade launchers must have a frag option, and this is just simpler.

Frags wound T2/T3 models easier than Choke Grenades do, so they have their uses (against swarms in particular). Also, the Arbites Grenade Launcher has always traditionally fired Frag & Krak, and often had access to other rounds.

I can't, however, convince myself that the response team is worth it. Yes, all right, deep strike and outflank, but you can only ever use one of those at once and most people only pay a point or so for that ability. I'm not knocking shock grenades per se, but given that this unit really doesn't want to get too close (might a webber option make sense?), if you're ever in a position to use them it's not a good thing for you, so I'm not sure they're worth that much in this case. (By comparison, they're ideal on a suppression squad). All right, you can take umpty-ump assault weapons, but generally devastator-analogues make the heavy weapons more expensive, not the dudes holding them.

This I find interesting. One of my playtesters has keyed in on Response Teams as his favorites, enjoying their outflank ability and their broad range of options (including the hot-shot lasguns), which allow him to tailor them to his opponent. I personally like them for the Units Inbound rule, which (coupled with the Call For Backup rule) allows me to get them where and when I want them more often than not.

Not sure why the eagle is rear armour 11; even front-line gunships (like the vendetta) arent.

Stormravens are 12 all-round, and as the Arbites are often mentioned as being "deliberately better equipped than the Imperial Guard and PDF forces", I chose to compromise by putting the Eagle firmly in between the two.

The only other unit I might suggest is something akin to a 'breaching force' - designed to go into an occupied hab-block and clear it. Suppression squads are a riot screen, but HRT/SWAT building clearance is a different matter. I guess that's the response team with riot shields?

Yes, Response Teams are intended to fill this role. Back in my (much larger, more fluffy, but less streamlined and balanced) 5th Edition Arbites Codex, I had a separate entry for SWAT Teams, but they were merged with the response team for this version.

The one thing I don't get the riot shield rules - if it's a gunfire shield, +1 armour save vs range seems to make more sense than vs melee; stealth really isn't that good a rule for a close-quarter unit already in carapace plate. For that matter, if you want to steal an existing rule, consider the Badab War rule for siege mantlets - essentially what these are - reroll saves vs ranged attacks but can't run or use additional ccw.

Equally, Horus Heresy book 1 has Hardened Armour for boarding/breaching marines - designed to give protection when storming close quarter environments, which gives improved protection against blast and template weapons specifically.

Riot shields are a recent addition (v 1.5) and are still being tested. What I don't want is to just have them add +1 to the Armour Save overall, as that just makes them "Power Armour" clones. We already have quite enough Power Armour in the game. Giving them Stealth allows them a chance to save when their Armour Save is negated and they aren't in cover, without making it a true Invulnerable Save (as flamer-type and other cover-ignoring weapons get by), and also makes cover just a bit more effective. There is no cover mechanic in close combat, so I figured the +1 save there allows them to save against a few more weapons (the AP4 types like Power Mauls) without giving them an Invulnerable Save.

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 03:42:30 AM »
Frags wound T2/T3 models easier than Choke Grenades do, so they have their uses (against swarms in particular). Also, the Arbites Grenade Launcher has always traditionally fired Frag & Krak, and often had access to other rounds.

Agreed (although mostly because everything traditionally had frag) - I was just trying to simplify because the two rounds strike me as too similar to need both. If you want to improve Choke so you don't need Frag, give it Strength 3. Hence 3+ with reroll and 4+ with reroll (i.e. better than frag in keeping with its higher cost) versus T2 and T3 respectively, giving it a big edge against mobs of chaff, as it should do.

Your comment on Disciplined Fire keys in on one of the things I am most proud of with this list. Is it an advantage? Sure. Is it huge? No.
More importantly, it fits - Arbites have small squads and should specialise in murdering big mobs of cultists - with a resulting speciality in light infantry generally (guard, orks, termagants, etc). Allowing you to place the close combat specialists up front without handing out cover saves helps that a lot.

One of my playtesters has keyed in on Response Teams as his favorites, enjoying their outflank ability and their broad range of options (including the hot-shot lasguns), which allow him to tailor them to his opponent.

Possibly a difference in play style; I try to avoid tailoring a list to an opponent, so whilst multiple options are nice, I'll only ever have one of them and be stuck with it. Hot-shots are a case in point - awesome in the right circumstances, but an expensive pile of turd in the wrong one (e.g. terminator squad).

I personally like them for the Units Inbound rule, which (coupled with the Call For Backup rule) allows me to get them where and when I want them more often than not.
Don't get me wrong, I like the unit and the rule. It's unique, characterful, simple and gives a clear advantage, making it a good special rule. I'm just not convinced it makes them worth their points cost.

What I don't want is to just have them add +1 to the Armour Save overall, as that just makes them "Power Armour" clones. We already have quite enough Power Armour in the game. Giving them Stealth allows them a chance to save when their Armour Save is negated and they aren't in cover, without making it a true Invulnerable Save (as flamer-type and other cover-ignoring weapons get by), and also makes cover just a bit more effective.

I concur - besides which, man-portable riot shields shouldn't stop an autocannon round!
This is my problem with Stealth, though, too; it's a rule which only has an effect versus weapons which go through carapace plate. I've no problem with Suppression shields doing this as they're canonically energy shielded (albeit in the Grey Knights book they're just a storm shield now) but a common-or-garden riot shield is just a plasteel plate. Equally the whole point of the shield is to allow you to advance on the enemy out of cover.

This is why I was suggesting reroll saves against enemy shooting; it makes the unit tougher versus small arms fire but doesn't use the dreaded 3+ save or allow you to survive a lascannon shot. It also doesn't help you (as a shield wouldn't) against your own plasma gun overheating.

Stories to read....
Songs of Earth

Tervigon Army List:

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 06:59:57 AM »
The more I think about it, the more I am starting to like your suggestion for Riot Shields.

I am thinking something along the lines of...

A model with a Riot Shield may re-roll any failed armour saves (but not invulnerable saves or cover saves), but may never claim the +1 Attack bonus for being armed with two close combat weapons in an assault. A model may carry either a riot shield or a suppression shield, but never both.

This is striking me as a very simple, elegant solution and one that people really would need to think about, since re-rolls to standard armour saves aren't nearly as straightforward a benefit as adding Stealth or +1 to the armour save. Do I pay X points for the Riot Shield and gain my re-roll, or do I skip it and save some points while keeping the possibility of +1 Attacks for 2 weapons?

I am thinking this might even warrant a reduction in points cost, possibly 2 pts for squads and 3 pts for characters.

I am going to toss this idea out to a few of my other commentators and playtesters to see what they think, but right now I am leaning toward making the change.

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 06:02:28 PM »
I am thinking this might even warrant a reduction in points cost, possibly 2 pts for squads and 3 pts for characters.
If it's going to work against shooting and melee attacks (as in the wording you describe) it's definitely not a points reduction.
A rerollable 4+ save may be easier to remove, but against bolt rounds and chainblades it is actually tougher than a 3+ armour save. Equally, whilst you lose the bonus attack, this only applies to models which get bonus attacks anyway - pretty much just squad leaders and HQs, who aren't dependent on the bonus attack so much as they have extra attacks on their statline.

Stories to read....
Songs of Earth

Tervigon Army List:

Offline Ambience 327

Re: Codex Adeptus Arbites for 6th Edition (Updated 11/26/2012)
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 02:40:23 PM »
v1.7 added - see first post

- Added "Stealth" to the Fire Support Team. This should help them be just a bit more survivable. I figure their small unit size pretty much accounts for this, but you can always model them with camo cloaks if you want.

- Added an option for Fire Support Teams to upgrade the Spotter's Bolt Pistol to either a Combat Shotgun or a Bolter.

- Changed Riot Shield rules to allow re-rolled armour saves rather than the more complicated rules they had before.

- Changed Suppression Teams to come equipped with Riot Shields as standard, with the option to upgrade to Suppression Shields. Their points cost has been reduced to account for this. (by 4 points per model, since the Suppression Shield confers the 4+ invulnerable save, as well as adding the Counter Attack and Hammer of Wrath rules)

- Updated Shield Wall Formation to allow for either Riot Shields or Suppression Shields to be used.

Offline Ambience 327

Re: Codex Adeptus Arbites for 6th Edition (Updated 11/26/2012)
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 03:42:33 PM »
v1.8 uploaded - see the first post - changes as follows:

- Updated Book of the Law so that a unit cannot benefit from it more than once per turn.

- Updated Medi-pack and Forensus to make them generic for "the model" rather than specific to the Medicae and Investigator.

- Changed the limit on Detectives from 0-2 to 0-1, plus one for every 750 points in your force.

Offline Ambience 327

Re: Codex Adeptus Arbites for 6th Edition (Updated 02/08/2013)
« Reply #13 on: February 8, 2013, 03:50:19 PM »
New version uploaded 02/08/2013 (See first post)

Change Log:

- Cyber-Mastiffs toned down a bit. They previously outstripped Space Wolf Cyberwolves in raw hitting power by a decent bit. While they seemed fairly balanced points-wise, they were just more powerful than they should be compared to the Cyberwolves. They have been updated as follows:

- Reduced Attacks from 3 to 2
   - Removed Feel No Pain and Furious Charge
   - Reduced their cost to 10 points per model

- Fire Support Team increased to 30 points per Team, but they now come with Sniper Rifles standard. Options to replace the Sniper Rifle have had revised costing as well.

- Executioner Shells revised to Assault 1 rather than Heavy 1, but retain the "No Snap Shots" rule. This allows them to be a bit more effective on the move, but still allows for a very real choice between Manstoppers (12"/S4/AP-/Assault 2) or Executioners (18"/S4/AP5/Assault1, Ignores Cover, No Snap Shots).

- Added Version # and Page #'s as a footer, helpful for those who might be printing this thing out to keep track of which page goes with which version.

Offline Ambience 327

Re: Codex Adeptus Arbites for 6th Edition (Updated 04/18/2013)
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 01:23:12 PM »
New version uploaded - see the first page.

Change Log  :

- Added the Tactical Protocols special rule to Cyber-Mastiffs. Changed their "Servo-jaws" to count as a basic close combat weapon, with the new Tactical Protocols allowing for Mancatchers to be one of their new programmed command options.

- Fixed Eagle Assault Shuttle to allow Bulky, but not larger.

- Added an option for Rhinos to be modified to an open-topped variant.

- Added the option to give Judges and some Judge characters Power Armour.

- Improved the Suppression, Detection, Lockdown and Audentia Lex psychic powers a bit to help the Virtus Lex Psychic Discipline better compete with the other available Disciplines.

Offline Ambience 327

Re: Codex Adeptus Arbites for 6th Edition (Updated 07/16/2013)
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 07:14:11 AM »
New version uploaded - see the first post.

Change log:

- Updated the Servo-Arm to match the new version from Codex Dark Angels.

- Raised the cost of the Eagle Assault Shuttle from 150 to 175 points. (It was a little cheap compared to the made-for-6th Edition flyers coming out in more recent books.)

- Added a new special character, Detective Wayne Gotham - "The Black Chevelier", because I thought of a great way to integrate Batman into the Adeptus Arbites - and because Batman is cool. :) The most important part of getting this character right is the "A Law Unto Himself" special rule, which causes all models in your army to treat him as a Desperate Ally.

Offline Ambience 327

Re: Codex Adeptus Arbites for 6th Edition (Updated 08/08/2013)
« Reply #16 on: August 8, 2013, 08:01:31 AM »
New version uploaded - see first post.

Update notes:

- Various fixes of minor typos, formatting errors, etc.

- Replaced "The Law Condemns" Judicial Warlord Trait with the new "You're on MY Turf!" Trait. I thought this was a great tool to add, and Hatred was the easiest Special Rule to lose from the Warlord Traits (since there are other close combat related, and Hatred is still available through the Book of the Law). The new Trait allows the Judge to grant the Outflank Special Rule to D3 units before deployment.

- Changed Judge Schindler's Warlord Trait from the removed "The Law Condemns" to the "Master Orator" trait. Her points cost has been increased by 5 points to account for the guaranteed combination of her Book of the Law and the "Master Orator" trait.

Offline Ambience 327

Re: Codex Adeptus Arbites for 6th Edition (Updated 09/19/2013)
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 07:39:32 AM »
Change Log:

- Added the Twin-Linked rule back to Executioner rounds. After running the numbers again (due to finding an error in my earlier calculations, I found that it was inferior to Manstoppers in basically all circumstances except where Manstoppers were out of range. Now, it is superior to Manstoppers against anything with a 5+ Armour save, or whenever a model's Cover Save is better than its Armour Save. In all cases, a rapid-firing Bolter is still either equalor superior to both Manstoppers or Executioner Shells, but only marginally in most cases - which is exactly what I have been shooting for (no pun intended).

- Updated Shock Weapons to more closely resemble Power Weapons of the same classification. (i.e. dropped the Poisoned rule, added Strength bonuses and better AP). Now they are basically "Power Maul Light" and "Power Lance Light". After much consideration, I realised they really didn't fit the fluff since they basically became more effective the higher the Toughness of the foe. Now they do very good damage against low-Toughness low-Save models, but struggle against high-Toughness and/or high-Save models, but are less effective than their Power Weapon versions in all respects. Points costs were adjusted (including making the lances the same cost as the mauls as they are actually inferior against many targets, but advantageous against some - especially those with 4+ and 5+ armour saves).

- Added Grav-Pistols and Grav-Guns as fairly restricted options. The Judge can take a Grav-Pistol, and each Response Team may take a single Grav-Gun.

- Added the Auspex and Signum as new wargear items. The Auspex is an option for Judges and Investigators, while the Signum is an option for Combat Team and Response Team Proctors.

- Reduced the cost of the Forensus for Judges from 15 points to 10 points.

- Added the option for Pursuit Team Proctors and mounted Judges to take a Power Lance.

- Clarified that Fire Support Team Missile Launchers come standard with frag & krak missiles, and added the option for flakk missiles. The astute will note that the Spotting Scope already allows Skyfire - but of course taking flakk Missiles would allow the Spotting Scope to instead apply Monster Hunters, Tank Hunters or Twin-Linked to the same shot.

- Gave Detective Gotham Breaching Charges.

- Re-worked Detective Gotham's "The Right Tool for the Job" rule so that he can only use one of the provided rules during a given player turn. This won't actually have much practical effect except in rare circumstances, but it makes him just a little less rules-packed.

Offline Ambience 327

Re: Codex Adeptus Arbites for 6th Edition (Updated 10/25/2013)
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 01:13:49 PM »
New version uploaded (see first post)

Change Log:

- Updated the Auspex to refer to "A model with an auspex..." rather than "An Investigator with an auspex...", as a Judge can take one as well.

- Updated the Suppression Power to note that "Units without a Ld value are unaffected" thanks to a tip from "Perfect Organism" on DakkaDakka.

- Added the option to upgrade a Sentinel Pursuit Team to Apprehender Pattern Sentinels equipped with Webbers, Mancatchers and a new Ballistic Shield which grants them a 5+ invulnerable save against glancing hits. Also gave them an option to replace either the webber or the mancatcher with a Shock Claw (which is unique to the Apprehender). YOu have to choose between the +1 Attack for you and -1 Attack for your opponent provided by the Mancatcher, or the shooting damage provided by the webber.

The Apprehender is an old idea of mine that I had made a nod to with the Mancatcher option in previous iterations, but I decided I really wanted the ability to go total close-ranged assault with the Sentinels, and figured the Ballistic Shield would help them get there, and the mancatcher, shock claw and webber would allow them to do something once they did. Proper placement of Sentinels could potentially bring down the Attacks of any power-fist-armed or similarly-armed models in the enemy unit, limiting the damage received in return, allowing them to form a useful tarpit unit, since many models will struggle to scratch their armour and those that do may be mitigated by the Ballistic Shield if they only cause glancing hits.

- Added the "Harlequin Enmity" rule to Detective Gotham based on a suggestion from "sing your life" on DakkaDakka. It adds a nice nod to Batman's greatest enemy, The Joker. :)

Offline Ambience 327

Re: Codex Adeptus Arbites for 6th Edition (Updated 03/04/2014)
« Reply #19 on: March 4, 2014, 03:07:51 PM »
New version uploaded (see first post)

Change Log:

- Added the option for the Judge, Arbitor General, Detective, Response Team Proctors and Combat Team Proctors to take Plasma Pistols.

- Added the Rampage rule to Detective Gotham, representing his ability to use his enemy's numbers against them. Since he will often be on his own in close combat, he will quite often receive bonus Attacks from this rule.

- Added the Uncanny Reflexes special rule to Detective Gotham, giving him a 5+ Invulnerable Save. As a loner-type character, he just needed a bit more survivability.

- Gave Detective Gotham's Throwing Blades the Poisoned (4+) & Pinning rules, representing some form of paralytic toxin. I want them to be a real threat, which the Poisoned (4+) rule allows. In addition, the Pinning rule provides some utility and emphasises the theme of paralytic poison.

- Increased Detective Gotham's cost by 10 points to account for the above changes.

- Improved the Ballistic Shield to provide a 5+ Invulnerable Save to both Glancing AND Penetrating hits, but disallowed its effect when it is hit in the rear.

- Changed the stats on Apprehender pattern Sentinels, giving them WS4, BS3, A2 and a Front Armour of 11. They should now be just a bit more useful in an Assault.

- Removed the option for an Apprehender pattern Sentinel to carry both a Mancatcher and a Shock Claw.

- Updated the Pre-fab Barricade Line and Arbites Sector House to bring them in line with Stronghold Assault.