News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Codexes on the way  (Read 18205 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Codexes on the way
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2018, 06:19:40 PM »
From what they said at lvo, apparently all armies will have their codexs by the end of the year.

I'm really excited to see what they do with Ynnari. I think it has the potential to be. Very cool faction.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2018, 06:23:48 PM »
Orks are doing ok because hordes are quite strong this edition. Everyone at my LGS have a lot of trouble with orks right now. Even ones with a codex. Just sooo much green.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2018, 08:09:23 PM »
Apparently after 2 rounds there are a few undefeated Orkz list. One of them has 50 grots, the other has 90. Are Grots the future?
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2018, 08:25:50 PM »
Anything cheap,and which comes in large numbers, is really good right now. I'm not surprised. They fill up board space, and are hard to shift.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline admironheart

• later
  • Armies: Eldar,Exodites,Harlequins.Squats,Dark Eldar&BA
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2018, 02:21:32 PM »
There's what 30 codexes to produce, 10 in the first 6 months, so maybe 18-24 months to get through all of them. Atleast the armies with out a dex will be getting annual updates.

Are there actually 30?  All the codexes that I can think of off the top of my head since 3rd edition (with some amalgamations), plus ones the rumour mill seems to be suggesting are on the horizon. I'm not including the small supplements (e.g. Iyanden, Raukaan)

Space Marines
1- Space Marines (aka: Ultramarines)
2- Blood Angels
3- Dark Angels
4- Space Wolves
5- Grey Knights/Daemonhunters
6- Deathwatch
7- Black Templars
8- Legion of the Damned
9- Adeptus Custodes

Non-SM Imperium
1- Imperial Guard
2- Catachans
3- Tempestus
4- Imperial Agents/Assassins/Inquisition
5- Sisters of Battle/Witch Hunters
6- Knights
7- Adeptus Mechanicus
8- Skitarii
9- Sisters of Silence

Chaos
1- Chaos Space Marines
2- Deathguard
3- Thousand Sons
4- Daemons

Eldar
1- Craftworld Eldar
2- Dark Eldar
3- Harlequins
4- Ynarri (speculating that they might get their own codex at some point)

Other Xenos
1- Tyranids
2- Genestealer Cults
3- Orks
4- Tau
5- Necrons

I've got 31 there. Wow, I'm actually kind of surprised it's that many. Obviously some are relatively small and/or short-lived. And I may have skipped some.

If we assume that all of the smaller supplements will be expanded into full codices then the list expands quite a lot (especially on the Space Marine front, but also if every major Eldar craftworld gets its own book too).  I can't seem them churning out that many books, but I've been surprised before.

You forgot SQUATS and EXODITES.!!!! (sigh) Penal Legions/PDFs and Hrud or Kroot would be cool as well.
Did you include Corsairs and Heretics and other ForgeWorld lists in that 31?
"Battles are decided by slaughter and maneuver.  The greater the general, the more he contributes in manuever, the less he demands in slaughter"...Winston Churchill

• Ancient
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2018, 02:44:37 PM »
I think it's fair to assume nothing forge world is getting a codex,nor squats. Of all those, with the minor factions getting books, I'd not be surprised to see exodites. Maybe wrapped into the Ynnari release?

There are rumours of a legion of the damned book,lead by a ghost of ferrus manus. That'd be cool, but I think unlikely.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2018, 03:31:51 PM »
Kroot are too low key to need their own codex. Expanded in Tau perhaps but not on their own.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2018, 06:58:18 PM »
From what they said at lvo, apparently all armies will have their codexs by the end of the year.

I'm really excited to see what they do with Ynnari. I think it has the potential to be. Very cool faction.

Ynnari are likely to stay as they are. They just got a rebox with up to date rules. They won't have their own Codex, you'll just buy the dexes for the Aeldari you want to use and add in the box rules.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2018, 07:02:25 PM »
Kroot are too low key to need their own codex. Expanded in Tau perhaps but not on their own.
Beyond the Kroot Mercenary list that was released in Chapter Approved back in 3rd Ed, there's never really been that much of a demand for them.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Don't Panic; It's Open-Source!
    • The Place Where I Put Stuff Online
« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2018, 07:21:18 PM »
You forgot SQUATS and EXODITES.!!!! (sigh) Penal Legions/PDFs and Hrud or Kroot would be cool as well.
Did you include Corsairs and Heretics and other ForgeWorld lists in that 31?
Not sure why you're asking about Corsairs and other FW lists in the 31. Every army I included is clearly listed. So no, FW armies were not included.

I can't honestly see Kroot getting their own codex, though giving Kroot an HQ choice and allowing them to be a proper detachment in another army would be a nice inclusion in the upcoming Tau codex.

• Ancient
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2018, 11:50:45 AM »

Ynnari are likely to stay as they are. They just got a rebox with up to date rules. They won't have their own Codex, you'll just buy the dexes for the Aeldari you want to use and add in the box rules.

My thoughts, is they need some sort of access to strategems with taking a pure detachment. Also, they need the changes to soul burst printed in a book, not just as an faq.

I agree they might never get more models, but I after seeing the visarch and yvrane, I'd love to see that aesthetic applied to whole units.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2018, 03:16:43 PM »
My thoughts, is they need some sort of access to strategems with taking a pure detachment. Also, they need the changes to soul burst printed in a book, not just as an faq.

The Ynnari nerf probably went a bit too far considering most armies have a way to generate a double tap at will now and the number of units that get extra hits, etc. I suspect they will iron SB out before their codex will drop though.

Given how they are doing Thousand sons and effectively just reprinting sections of the other chaos codexes in it, I would say it is a fair bet the same thing will happen for Ynnari. It will also pad the book out given the lack of fluff at the moment.

New models... I wouldn't say never, but probably not in 8th.

• Ancient
« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2018, 03:29:29 PM »
Looks like Ynnari might win the LVO, so the nerf wasn't that bad lol.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2018, 04:04:07 PM »

Particularly when accompanied by the great buffs to dark Reapers and Shining Spears
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2018, 06:27:01 PM »
Hopefully those two units don't see a nerf as a result.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2018, 06:40:40 PM »
The next major en-FAQing is scheduled for March so we'll see how that goes. Should be another three codexes released by then.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2018, 06:53:47 PM »

The list is 50/50 CWE and Ynnari, with reaper spam. In a few month you will probably find it will be a DE/Ynnari list lol.

Fluff wise it makes sense right now as they may not have the numbers to stand on their own, but an army should be solid enough to stand on their own, kind of hard to do that with Ynnari at the moment.

Hopefully those two units don't see a nerf as a result.

codex creep is still a thing, so don't see they need a nerf.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 07:03:29 PM by magenb »

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2018, 08:58:49 PM »
Really?  How so?  I can't think of a single codex that has been released that is bad.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2018, 10:27:08 PM »
Really?  How so?  I can't think of a single codex that has been released that is bad.

Compare a space marine to blood angels for example.

• Ancient
« Reply #119 on: January 28, 2018, 10:34:58 PM »
Both books are equally good imo.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria