News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Removing Paint.  (Read 60226 times)

Offline L4mbCh0p

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Removing Paint
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2005, 06:32:56 AM »
for plastic models, a good way to get the paint off is to wipe it off with a cotton bud dipped in metholated spirits.

Offline Eon Kull

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2005, 02:03:57 AM »
Forgot to report back on the CSC. It's awesome; I like it far more than the Easy Off. I left the models in the bath between 6-24 hours to great results (3 batches have gone through one tray off CSC!). The only problem is that it really weakens super glue and you will have to reassemble your model probably although it has no effect on plastic glue.

So in a pinch for time, use the Easy Off; but if you know ahead I would recommend the CSC.

As for pricing, I live in Canada so my prices will be CA$. I bought both products from the Wal-Mart down the street: $12.99 for a gallon (3.87 litres) of CSC from the automotive department and the Easy Off for $3.89 for a 16 oz. pump spray bottle from the household cleaners department. (Note the CSC comes out to a lot cheaper although they had the same size and cost as the Easy Off for a pump spray bottle of CSC).

Offline paladian

• It's a Chaos Daemon Prince head, OK!
« Reply #22 on: May 1, 2005, 07:41:21 PM »
Just a few experiences of my own to tell

1. Not all brake fluids are effective at getting paint off. Some like the one I used a while ago just didn't do a good job.

2. If you are going to use acetone then it would be best to get a pure solution of it rather than something that contains it (like nail polish remover) as they may not be strong enough.

3. Some colours do not come off as easy as others. I noticed that chaos black comes off easily whilst colours such as blue grey (now called shadow grey!) needed a stronger paint remover.

4. Most chemicals people suggest don't dissolve the paint but actually soften them so you will need a stiff bristled tooth brush to scrub it off. This particularly goes for hard to reach crevices.

5. for the Brits out there, you cannot get simple green and a lot of the other chemicals in "good ol' blighty" so I recommend Polycell Heavy Duty Brush Cleaner that works in SECONDS and not minutes/days like the rest. Not only is it strong, you can keep reusing it without it loosing its effective power.

6. Anyone using ANY of the chemicals mentioned in this thread are well advised to wear eye protection and do it in a well ventilated area - great though your models are, they are not worth you loosing your sight or getting lung damage!

Offline Brother Asreus

• Brother Captain, Resident Spokesman for Idiots.
  • Ancient
  • Closed captioned for the thinking impaired
« Reply #23 on: May 3, 2005, 10:56:35 AM »
I tried Simple Green cleaner yesterday and it is FANTASTIC!!! After soaking my minis for 10 minutes some of the paint started coming off. After 2 hours, all the added colours and most of the the primer coat came off with some light scrubbing with an old toothbrush. Best parts of it are it's biodegradable, non-toxic and 5$ for a big spray bottle and 15$ for 3.7 L or 1 Gallon. Best way to go folks, easpecially if you have pets that may know it down accidentally.

Cthulhu for Pres in 2012!!! Why vote for the lesser of all evils?

Offline king_stew

• Spreading The Light Of The Eternal Emperor
« Reply #24 on: May 9, 2005, 03:05:45 PM »
 :) for the metal models you say put them in the washing machine, on their own ??? or with something ???

Offline Hypopheralcus

• What's for lunch?
« Reply #25 on: May 9, 2005, 09:11:16 PM »
I'd like to add that another way to remove the colour is to have the minis bath in NaOH-soluton (don't know the english term). I'm trying this method for the time being and it should be able to work on both plastic and metal minis.

Offline Brother Frag

• c'mon the bhoys!
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2005, 02:40:35 AM »

- putting your models into the washing machine - useful only for metal models (also remove the bases), as the plastic doesn't seem tough enough to survive a washer-warp-whirlpool (submitted by Azumi_chan)

lol i said this a while back regarding one of my battle sisters, she came up beautifully after a two day bath in brake fluid!!!  I mentioned giving them a final rinse in the dishwasher and i got flammed!!! lol should of said for metal only
He who stands with me shall be my brother

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2005, 07:25:05 AM »
If you got plastic that you want to remove paint from I highly recommend T- red, it is an alcohol that you can buy at any petrol station (at least in Sweden), it is redish pink liquid, like Schweppes Russian  ;D . It does not warp the plastic, remove details or have a hard time removing the paint. It usually works best on models with a good undercoat (they look almost like new) but works on the others as well.

If you are going for aceton don't use any impurities (e.g. oily aceton and nail polish) since this makes it harder to a) remove the paint and b) paint the model after it is done.

Offline Malakai

• Armies: Craftworlders, Dark Angels, Heretic Astartes, Orks
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2005, 02:34:05 AM »
Well, just to add abit:

Break Fluid: I highly recommend it's use on plastic models. I've left epic infantry in the stuff over two months and no damage to detail. It does not remove glue however, which kinda sucks.

Acetone: I always use it on metal models. I use empty fruit jars to keep the minis in. That way it will not evaporate and you won't smell the stuff. It gives me a headache. It's hell on plastic toothbrushes though, so if you have alot of cleaning you may go through one or two.

Malakai
-Malakai

Offline rokobungi

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2005, 03:34:59 AM »
I'd like to add that another way to remove the colour is to have the minis bath in NaOH-soluton (don't know the english term). I'm trying this method for the time being and it should be able to work on both plastic and metal minis.

the terms are sodium hydroxide  or lye  which is the main ingredient in easy off and one of the 3 active ingredients  in CSC

Offline P0L1C4J

• Remember, kids: Paranoia Saves Lives!
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2005, 12:10:17 PM »
Sorry for not updating the post, but i have a lot of work right now, and some exams coming in so I guess it'll jsut stay a while ;D

just remember, if you do any stripping, just post your results here and I'll update the post as soon as I can!
Wanna know how to keep an idiot busy for hours?  Click here!

Quote from: Archon_Yggdrisil
Romance applies to chivalry, but chivalry does not apply to romance. It's like a sandwich. You need cheese to make a sandwich, but you don't need a sandwich to make cheese.

Now I'm hungry.

Offline The__Phat__Guy

• 40k online I am you're father
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2005, 07:38:42 PM »
I just bought some simple green. It works great for metal and plastic minis. just leave them in the simple green for an hour then come back and put anther guy in. Then leave a few models in their over night and you'll get great results.
2000pt fantasy chaos (in the works)
2000pt ultwe/strikeforce (in the works)

Offline Grampy Seer

• "Forsooth! Thou art slain!"
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2005, 06:00:20 PM »
I'm getting that the consensus is: Simple green for plastics.
You're sure it doesn't dissolve the minis?
Can you get it in Canada?

I've never stripped plastics before, but I can't recommend oven cleaner for metals enough.  I completely cleaned two war walkers in about one hour of soaking and toothbrushing.

Just don't get that stuff on your skin or eyes.

Offline ShadowSkin

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2005, 12:23:40 PM »
Pine-sol for metal is great. Works about as well as Simple Green, but don't use on plastic, it will eat it.

Offline king_stew

• Spreading The Light Of The Eternal Emperor
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2005, 04:09:49 PM »
:D Oven cleaner is a great product for cleaning metal minis just got mine out earlier gave them a brush with my house mates tooth brush (it was an old one) and gave them a rinse and they are like new, and the fact it so soooooo cheap you cant grumble, thanks everyone

Offline Aronious

• (Arr-OH-Nee-uhs)
    • Game Rats
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2005, 04:54:11 PM »
Also, do not leave your models in Castrol Super Clean for more than a week. There will be a thick buildup of a white, oily, wax-like, material that, if dried, will become like a powder, and tough to remove without the use of an awl or toothpick.

"We're an infantry regiment, Red. We fight. We die."- Master Horkin, Mage-at-Arms

http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php/topic,83795.0.html

"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die."
-Goldfinger

Offline P0L1C4J

• Remember, kids: Paranoia Saves Lives!
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2005, 06:02:43 AM »
can anyone who used Pinesol, Simple Green, CSC, etc. please type what their ingridients are? I'm from Europe and all I could find was Acetone and Brake Fluid DOT4, so if I knew the ingridients, I might be able to find a substitute or  even the same product with a different name.
Wanna know how to keep an idiot busy for hours?  Click here!

Quote from: Archon_Yggdrisil
Romance applies to chivalry, but chivalry does not apply to romance. It's like a sandwich. You need cheese to make a sandwich, but you don't need a sandwich to make cheese.

Now I'm hungry.

Offline Lockmaster

• For England!!
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2005, 03:04:07 PM »
This is for all you Brits out there, come on, you know who you are!!!!

Dettol is the way forward for plastic minies, i use it all the time. leave your minies overnight, clean in the morning.  You can't use water in conjunction with this method though, as Dettol is not water soluble.
As for metals, i use this heavy duty paint stripper
http://www.polycell.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/POLUK/ICIPaints/servlet/ProductDisplayCmd?siteName=PC&currentPage=prd&pageCategory=detail&categoryImage=8042.gif&storeId=10302&catalogId=4&langId=-1&categoryId=239005&productId=260042

Really nasty stuff, have to wear heavy duty gloves and have a well ventilated room, wouldn't recommend it to anyone inexperienced in handling chemicals, but it does the job in 2 mins, EASY!!!! and this one is water solluble, so it is easier to rinse off the stuff.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 03:07:58 PM by lockmaster55 »
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline Rookyboy

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2005, 08:37:26 PM »
Heres a question for ya i have these guardians they were originally painted with non thinned downed testors paint then before i knew i had to strip the paint first i sprayed them with chaos black spray and painted with gw paints would simple green remove all the paint or will i need a mixed soloution

Offline Lockmaster

• For England!!
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2005, 05:38:41 AM »
what is testors paint?  If it is an acrilic, then you could soften it up and remove it with dettol and a toothbrush, if not i don't know (i am assuming that they sell dettol wherever you live, i don't know about green).
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.