News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Can you Escape?  (Read 48598 times)

Offline SeriousCallersOnly

• Brother Sergeant
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • This is not a Space Marine
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Tyranids
Re: Can you Escape?
« Reply #400 on: April 27, 2009, 07:06:21 PM »
Yes, that is the hazard symbol for a laser. I'm going to remove an item of clothing and wave it over the nearest slot, while keeping all parts of my body away, to see if motion activates any sort of unpleasant response. also wave it in the foot and a half of space to the side.

Offline Grimfang

• Ork Boy
  • Without Conflict, there is no life.
« Reply #401 on: April 27, 2009, 07:18:04 PM »
The time limit on the O3 levels is more than generous considering that that time only decreases about 1.5 increments per 24 hours (NOTE: this is not standard, as the time limit is completely up to the GM)
The O3 is only really likely to kill you if you stop and do nothing for like 2 game hours.

Having removed the shirt section of the jumpsuit, you swing one of the arms out over the plate. There are brief hissing noises. After two passes you inspect the shirt. It now appears that small portions of the cuff have been burnt off.
Trying it again over the white side sections, more of your shirt goes missing.

TIME UNTIL O3 SUFFOCATES YOU: 9

Trivia: You (the test subject) have been in the facility for 32 hours (of which only 4 have been spent in the Stages)

Caladonia and Gallosias Peace conference date pushed back     Tunuarian Cleanup operation underway, Unemployment in Albibis down additional 10%     CNSE -5  GSN -2     New Research into Industrial power for both empires.

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #402 on: April 27, 2009, 07:48:10 PM »
"So, cutting lazers of DOOOM then?  It seems that we are both sort of right."

I then use my shirt to inspect the white edges of the room (where one can walk).

Azore of Ath-Ron
Unsophisticated players might think that the Letter of the rules is more important than the Spirit - but the Letter isn't liable to sneak up behind you with an axe if you abuse it.
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline Grimfang

• Ork Boy
« Reply #403 on: April 27, 2009, 08:11:07 PM »
Trying it again over the white side sections, more of your shirt goes missing.

Already tested.

Quote from:  Facility Maintenance and Basic Engineering:Stage 3 Article 3.2
It is standard procedure to have a maintenance and quality test preformed on the floor and ceiling spikes, The floor spikes require the most cleaning and sanitation and are thus coated with Teflon and anti-stick substances. Inspection of the ceiling spikes requires the use of Items #9 and #15 of your issued equipment, and special attention must be taken to insure the quality of the bond between the spikes and the ceiling. NOTE: Equipment must be used in the proper instructional manner, in proper usage can lead to damaged or destroyed equipment and serious injury or death.

Caladonia and Gallosias Peace conference date pushed back     Tunuarian Cleanup operation underway, Unemployment in Albibis down additional 10%     CNSE -5  GSN -2     New Research into Industrial power for both empires.

Offline Rudkin

• Fio'ui Kais
  • Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #404 on: April 27, 2009, 08:36:45 PM »
I'm going to look around for some dust or something similar that could be tossed onto the lasers (hopefully making them somewhat visible). I'll check my pockets, the floor and the walls, but I will make sure not to get close to where the lasers seem to be (i.e. where my clothes got burnt).

What do you all think about closing the door? Good idea? Bad? If it locks we're likely to be trapped, but it may be useful to have shut; it might make the lasers more visible, or might help block out the O3, giving us more time. I'll leave it open for now, since we seem to have quite a while before we suffocate; better to leave it open for now just in case?

After searching and collecting any dust (or equivalent) that I can find, I'll toss a sleeve of my jumpsuit over a section of the metal that does not have a slit in it (let's go with the area to my right between the first slit and the white space). I shall do my best to keep the sleeve low over the ground. I'll pull it back after about a second. Did the sleeve burn?

We need to find a better way of probing this room than burning our clothes! I'd be tempted to try and get some steam into this room, but I'm not sure how easily/safely that could be done. Do you think that opening both doors in the Metal Room would do it? It might do the trick....

Also, anyone have any thoughts as to why the panel would be on the floor? My first guess would be that it may be an indication that we should crawl along the ground, but I'm not so sure about that.... It's just a guess, and could prove to be a deadly assumption.

Offline Grimfang

• Ork Boy
« Reply #405 on: April 27, 2009, 11:05:54 PM »
There is unfortunately no dust or other substance in the room or on your person.
The door can be shut and it will close airtight and keep out the O3. Any other effects of closing the door are up to speculation.

The sleeve did not burn when it was held and moved around the bottom 24 inches.

Opening both doors in STAGE VII would allow the steam to escape from STAGE V, unfortunately a majority of the steam would have to drift through the metal room. Steam (airborne water) floating into a room with highly electrified walls and flooring is perhaps not the greatest idea, especially when the steam inevitably condenses on whatever is in the room.

The sign is on the floor simply because the operators of the facility discovered that subjects could not make out the sign from the end of the 100 foot hallway (needless to say this was discovered through experimentation). The signs as stated before, play no intricate role of importance for escaping, they are merely there as a symbol of each Stage.

Quote from:  Facility Matainence and Basic Engineering: Stage 3 Artical 3.1
Stage III usually requires cleanup as it is the first of several stages that require quick action. Not all of the subjects placed in the facility are capable of such actions when required. The lower and bottom sections of the pitfall are accessable via maintenance hatch, and the universal key will unlock the door. Proper drainage is provided and the majority of cleanup is removal of the failed subject. Secondary cleanup only requires washing (with a hose) and basic sanitation.please be sure to lock the maintenance door behind you when cleanup is complete. A visual inspection is required of the spike devices in the pit. The perscribed counter weight or failed subject may have damaged or destroyed one or multiple spikes.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 11:08:21 PM by Grimfang »

Offline Rudkin

• Fio'ui Kais
« Reply #406 on: April 27, 2009, 11:19:39 PM »
24" of space, eh? I might be able to crawl along that on my belly...
...the catch being that nasty O3 pooling on the ground....
...hm.....

Well, if the door locks behind me, I'll at least have the far door to get to, and that might yield some means of escape.... maybe.

What does the other side of the Room VI door look like? Is there a knob, at least? A keyhole, perhaps?

I shall make my decision about closing the door once I know more about the door itself. If there is no obvious way of re-opening it, then I'll just have to leave it ajar.... If, on the other hand, there is a knob, I might just have to risk closing it.

Offline Grimfang

• Ork Boy
« Reply #407 on: April 27, 2009, 11:23:56 PM »
There is a doorknob on the inside of the door.

Something to remember: It is a long hall way and you have been waiving your shirt around and its been getting burnt.

Offline Rudkin

• Fio'ui Kais
« Reply #408 on: April 28, 2009, 12:26:34 AM »
Something to remember: It is a long hall way and you have been waiving your shirt around and its been getting burnt.
Yes, I realize that crawling across such a long distance is probably a bad idea, but my idea was to move along and "probe" with something (like maybe my shoe) in front of me in order to find a path.

This is, of course, assuming (dangerous, I know) that there is some sort of path to get to the other end. I was picturing some sort of criss-crossing set of lasers that you'd have to crawl under/climb over/walk around/whatever (like you always see in the movies).

However, I am starting to get the nagging suspicion that we are lacking some information....

Still, something has to be done. I will take the risk of getting locked out; I am going to close the Room VI Door from within the Laser Room.

Wish me luck!

Offline Grimfang

• Ork Boy
« Reply #409 on: April 28, 2009, 12:43:44 AM »
The door closes...........no thing happens.
(the room is seald off from STAGE VII but it has no effect otherwise.

boo!

Offline Rudkin

• Fio'ui Kais
« Reply #410 on: April 28, 2009, 01:03:39 AM »
Just to make sure I'm not actually trapped, I'll open the door then shut it again. If I'm going to be stuck I may as well know now rather than later, when I might be in more of a panic.

The next step is to try to figure out a path to the far door!

Offline Grimfang

• Ork Boy
« Reply #411 on: April 28, 2009, 01:04:51 AM »
The door opens and closes freely.

Offline Rudkin

• Fio'ui Kais
« Reply #412 on: April 28, 2009, 01:30:18 AM »
Alright. Let's keep it closed for now; it will keep that O3 out, giving me much more time to muck about low to the ground.

The plan now is to put my jumpsuit back on and take off my shoes (since they are more sturdy, I can hold them out in front of my hands more easily).

Holding my shoes by the heel, I go over to the space on the right side, near the floor, where my clothes did NOT burn. I take one shoe (by the heel) and slowly move it (with the toe over the metal on the floor) to the left, stopping periodically. I do this until I find the point where it starts to burn (singe, really; I don't want my shoes to be turned to ash!). I will make a mental note of the point where it started to burn and do the same thing to the right.

Next I will do the same thing about 23" up, making a note of where the shoes begin to burn (that is, singe). I repeat this process going upwards until I have determined a rectangle where it is safe to move. To confirm that it is safe, I will wave my shoe around (up and down and left and right) in that rectangle. (Better my shoe should burn than me in case I missed something!)

The next step will be to figure out how deep this "safe zone" is, but I will wait to see if this initial testing works before doing that.

Edit: Just clarified how I am holding the shoe and probing with it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 01:32:53 AM by Rudkin »

Offline Grimfang

• Ork Boy
« Reply #413 on: April 28, 2009, 02:48:32 AM »
There is a small 3' by 3' rectangle where there are no apparent burn marks.

Offline Rudkin

• Fio'ui Kais
« Reply #414 on: April 28, 2009, 03:36:19 AM »
Alright. I'll do the same thing with the shoe, this time pushing it forward along the ground. I'll go back and forth along that same 3' x 3' rectangle, going deeper and deeper, stopping where it starts to burn, and making a mental note of where that is.

If the shoe doesn't burn at all, I'll keep going deeper, crawling forward of necessary. I am going to feel around to see if the rectangle gets any bigger, or if it bends at all. I will follow this path as best I can, hopefully to the other end of the room. If there is a fork in the path I will stop (I will decide which way to go when I get there).

NOTE: During all of this I am going to do my very best to keep all parts of my body within areas that my shoe deemed "safe". Wherever the shoe starts to burn I am going to pretend that there is an invisible, flaming wall that I cannot touch, lest I die (okay, maybe I'm no good at pretending). This means that the only places where any of my body parts will go will be wherever the shoe did not burn.

For the sake of simplicity I am going to put my other shoe back on. This means I will only be probing with one shoe; let's say... the left shoe.

I hope what I'm trying to do is clear enough. I also hope that it works!

Offline SeriousCallersOnly

• Brother Sergeant
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • This is not a Space Marine
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Tyranids
« Reply #415 on: April 28, 2009, 10:37:33 AM »
I think Rudkin has it worked out. Well done sir.

One thing I don't get. Are these lasers horizontal or vertical? There do not seem to be any slots in the walls. In which case, how come there is a height limit?

Offline taupro777

• Wait... Railguns are HOW strong?!
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #416 on: April 28, 2009, 10:44:01 AM »
Ahh I had that idea with the shoe... But i was gonna throw it forward XDD... I follow the smart man in, as I use my shoe and also small pieces of hair to test the area.
Wow... Just wow... Slaughter and skulls for the greater good?

Offline Grimfang

• Ork Boy
« Reply #417 on: April 28, 2009, 04:08:49 PM »
Using the left shoe you probe out further and very very very slowly you make your way down the hall, the front of the shoe blackened with singe and burn marks. You yourself receive two small burns (regardless of how very careful you you were). You have reached the end of the metal plate and find you are able to stand on the other side.

Offline Rudkin

• Fio'ui Kais
« Reply #418 on: April 28, 2009, 05:46:20 PM »
Small burns, while not terribly pleasant, are tolerable.

I'm going to continue waving my shoe in front of me as I walk around slowly on the other side of the metal floor, just to make sure it is safe. Once I've determined where is safe and where will burn me (hopefully nowhere on this side), I will do a visual inspection of the door and surrounding area. Finally, I'll let my shoe cool and put it back on... what's left of it, anyway.

I am tempted to just open the door, but that seems rather risky to do without looking around first. After all, I'd hate to die now!

Offline Grimfang

• Ork Boy
« Reply #419 on: April 28, 2009, 09:04:28 PM »
The shoe (though no longer in mint condition) is no longer burned. There are no lasers after the plate ends. The door is a standard metal door with standard metal handle. there is nothing else of interest on or around the door.

yaw reisae na si ereht