News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Big-bad  (Read 3389 times)

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
Big-bad
« on: December 1, 2009, 08:27:09 AM »
Ok, so the background story behind this... About 3 years ago I was driving home from work when a parked lorry pulled out from the side of the road and managed to block both lanes of the dual carriage way I was driving on... With nowhere to go all I could do was sit back, relaxe and think "Oh god this is gonna' hurt"

Actually it didn't hurt, the joys of bull bars I guess... So lucky escape... Normal post crash stuff is done, details are exchanged and I get onto my insurance company who pay out on the car (minus the excess) and start action against the other guys insurance, who promptly deny the lorry even exists...  >:(

So 3 years later I'm pleasantly surprised when I finally get the check for the excess, of course by this time the car has been replaced and I'm left wondering what to do with the money...  :)

Well there's an easy answer to that! Give it to Forge World!  ;D

Flash forwards a few days and there's a knock on the door with a box.:

My first thought on popping the box open is "Is that it?"

Anyway the first stage of dealing with anything from FW is always a good clean, the kit is surprisingly flash free compared to some of the stuff I've worked on in the past (Also very little warping, only 1 part I noticed that needed heating and bending back into shape, not sure if FW are improving their quality or if it's just the signs of fairly new moulds) so after a bit of work with a knife and saw it's ready for a wash. 2 hours later as I looked at the parts sitting in the bath to dry out it hit me:

This could take a while...   :o

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline GutterSmurf

• The noblest works incur the greatest risks
Re: Big-bad
« Reply #1 on: December 1, 2009, 12:50:49 PM »
a chaos reaver..... new moulds indeed :) i need to go find myself a lorry......
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-
O RLY?

Offline burgers4me

• Burgers, The Delicious Graduate
    • Story of The Gods (SotG)
« Reply #2 on: December 1, 2009, 02:21:17 PM »
Now this is a project I can dig :D
Have you got an apoc. size army for him to play with?
What, Wait?

Why do I even have this thing...

"There is no such thing as a bad story. Just one that can be improved."

Offline khaine

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #3 on: December 7, 2009, 05:41:49 AM »
Now this is a project I can dig :D
Have you got an apoc. size army for him to play with?

20k of mixed Chaos Marines/Daemons should cover it.  :)

Anyway moving on...

Best place to start seemed to be from the ground up, so a quick shopping trip to TESCOs got me a cheap chopping board... errr... nice base for the model and I set about trying to lay out the feet where I thought (guessed) they should go.

Realised at this point that the legs could be a real pain to put together as they don't just build 'up' put also have several layers 'out' and the parts I had thought were just leg guards turned out to be part of the hydraulic system which also presents one of those "can't fit A unit B is in place, can't fit B until C is in place and A holds C on" issues... Anyway I'll worry about all the rams later.

Next layer out was the shin guards which as it turned out don't glue to the main leg but rather 2 tiny spacers. The parts would need pinning but given the size and location lining up the pins was going to be a major pain, so I went with plan B and drilled all the way through the spacers which then let me line the parts up and drill the pinning holes with the spacers held in place (If that makes sense)

Didn't get the alignment quite right... But I can either bend the spacers later when I start gluing or just leave it as it is, the shin guards still line up fine and unless anybody sticks a fibre optic camera in through one of the gaps nobody will ever see.

So, one leg done. Well held together with bluetac anyway, the way the legs are layered I'm going to have to strip them back down for painting so no point in gluing anything yet

And repeat for leg 2.

Well so far so good. I did have to heat on of the shin guards to remove a little warping, but everything else so far has been a good fit with a couple of parts that just clipped together. There's a lot of fit-remove-refit-reremove going on but looking at it I'm hoping it will get easier as I work my way up.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline khaine

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 06:17:09 PM »
Onwards and upwards!

Well at least to the waist anyway, everything is still dry fit only, large quantities of blue tac and a few pins made from 6mm brass rod (Forget pin vices, bring out the power drills, just remember to turn the hammer action off)

Anyway it all lined up pretty well at the hips, only had to redrill 1 hole that was lineing up the right knee (Can see in the picture it's not quite flush) so I'm happy. :) Of course having got this far the next stage was to strip it all back down and start work on the base. :/

Now the last base this size I did I went with a muddy battle field, barbed wire and a blown up Rhino, pretty war torn. This time round I wanted to do something different, rather than having a Titan in the middle of a destroyed landscape I wanted to go for  a Titan destroying the landscape. I picked up what I thought would be a small decorative fountain kit off of eBay, which turned out to be way larger than I expected, but on the bright side came in a brick by brick kit form.

As a side note I'm now a big fan of these kits, the moulds are produced by Hirst Arts (http://www.hirstarts.com/) but there's a few resellers that just sell the finished bricks on eBay, probably one of the most reasonably priced scenery bits I've picked up in ages with the added fun of building it as well.

A quick trip to a DIY store got me the all purpose filler I'd need and work on the base started.

Out of it all getting the Titans foot print in the filler proved the most... interesting... part of the job, actually the first attempt was a total failure but the second time round I added a coat of washing up liquid to the foot before pressing it down which then worked as a release agent when I pulled it back up. Not that the print will really be seen but I'll know it's there.

Anyway that's the basic lay out done, I've got a pretty good idea what I want in my head, just a case of seeing how it translates over to the actual base.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 08:18:17 AM »
Holy crap, that thing is massive! Keep it up, I look forward to seeing more progress.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline burgers4me

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 11:44:48 AM »
I really like the scenic base!
Have you thought about screaming people? Like the guy running away from the giant in the giant sprue. OMYGODITISATITANRUN THEBESLUBBERAWAY!!!!!!!!!!! :P
What, Wait?

Offline khaine

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 06:49:56 AM »
Have you thought about screaming people? Like the guy running away from the giant in the giant sprue.

Yes of course I have..... (Adds screaming guy to the list of things maybe to do)  ::)

Maybe his not so lucky friend as well...

Work on the base continues:

Still got the water feature to finish, never had any luck with GW water effect and the model shop I normally use was out of stock of the E-Z Water I wanted to try.  :-\ (Anybody ever try that stuff?)

Anyway the horse shoe shaped bit will be filled with water and the fountain 'head' will be spraying water out.

Now with added Titan legs. The round plinth at the front will get some kind of statue on it, not quite sure what model to use yet, there's also one just behind the right foot that will get a broken statue.

And a Renegade Guardsman to show the scale of this thing (Which hadn't really sunk in on me until I started dry fitting one of the guns.)

No matter how many times I attack a FW kit with a power drill I always get a nervous feeling. Anyway one of the knee guards was a little to 'clean' for my liking so a little battle damage and the hint of Daemonic forces seemed like a good idea.

Anyway the weekend is here and there's snow all around so I hope to get some more work done on it.  ;D

Offline burgers4me

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 11:14:08 AM »

It is that big? Wow.

Note: It definitely needs fleeing people if it is that big...
What, Wait?

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
  • warboss of the SUN and DA MOON orks
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 11:22:30 AM »
I like this will have too watch this one like it so far

Offline Dunedain

• Distance..out of reach...just a hair's breath away
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 01:57:02 PM »
Oh. My. God.

That thing is Massive!

*Runs off to go find a lorry*
We passed upon the stairs. He spoke of was and when. Although i wasn't there, he said i was his friend. which came as a surprise

I spoke into his eyes "I thought you died alone, a long long time ago."

He laughed "Oh no, not me, we never lost control, you're face to face, with the man who sold the world"

Quote from: Warfare;45947
Thank you Captain Politically Correct.
To survive in this world, one must be as mad as a hatter...thankfully, i am

I will kill the pedobears.All of them. Forever

Offline khaine

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 05:40:33 AM »
Ok, so I may have got a little distracted... But it totally wasn't my fault...

And when Santa drops models down your chimney who wouldn't get a little side tracked?

In my defence it was only a few days before I was due to play an Apoc' game and knowing I wouldn't get the Reaver done in time I went with the Parrot of doom and good God is he a monster on the table top...  :o

Anyway... Titans...

On the bright side I've got one of the legs together with all the armour and most of the hydraulics:

Down side is it's still only a dry fit and I've got no idea how I'm going to get the hydraulics that link the toes to the wedge shaped bits in place, turns out the angles I've set the legs at are just a little to extreme for the rams to fit the sockets they are meant to sit in. Plan B is to drill them out with a power drill, failing that plan C will be to leave them off most of the toes as they won't be seen anyway.  :-\

Anyway with the legs still driving me mad I decided to take a look at some of the other parts. Of course a look turned into a quick dry fit. Which turned into some converting. Then a spray and airbrushing...

^BFG 10K? The exposed power cables were an attempt to tie the model in with my Deathguard army, if the little guys have their guts hanging out why shouldn't this?

Added some damage to the main carapace.

And a shot of the whole upper body. Should point out that it's all still dry fit but the kit fits so well that it pretty much clips together which means I can work on the outside without having to fit the inside first (A problem I had with the Warhound)

And finally the moment of truth... Would the legs hold the weight of the upper body? It had been worrying me for a while and I really didn't want to have to do extra work running reinforcing rods through all the leg armour to support the legs.

So for the first time it's starting to look like a Titan.  ;D

Offline Khain Mor (/kharandhil)

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 09:18:44 AM »
Lol I love titans. I've never been a fan of the imperium forces, but I've always wanted to have a titan. I titan looks amazing, but it looks ever better in real, I hope one of my friends gets a reaver someday lol.

Besides that the terrain piece you made looks so amazing, it's just nuts putting so much time and effort just into a terrain piece : D
The Dark Moon Kabal ,possibly the biggest DE army ever!
over 20k and awesome, what more do you need to click? (last updated the 02/03/2012)

Nothing better than killing a thousand slaves to wake up in the morning.

Offline burgers4me

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 10:08:55 AM »
This is a project that will have you end in a complete awesome feeling and some dead Imperial Guard.

I love the contrast between the giant killy chaos monster of DOOM and the adorable plushies behind it :D
What, Wait?

Offline khaine

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #14 on: October 9, 2010, 05:33:48 AM »
Well it's been a while...

Ok, more than a while...

Sadly real life kicked me in the teeth, or at least smashed in my knee (I swear I'm not accident prone, it's just people around me) and the Reaver got pushed to one side in the kitchen. Then a couple of weeks back I finally got to digging it out from behind the cookie jar where it seemed to be trying to claim obscured and after a little more procrastination started work again.

So first up I managed to get the water effect I was after for the base. Actually I managed that before the whole thing got put on hold and but never got chance to do an update.

Over all I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out but did learn (Or at least realise) that fishing line doesn't react well to heat...
Jumping from the bottom to the top I wanted to give the same technique a try for a different use and give the missile launcher a kind of sticky/slimy/gooey look. I still like the idea if not the actual look, but there's still plenty of time to make adjustments and build up the slime a little more.

Also been doing a little painting inside:

And out:

It was at this point I hit another small bump in the road... Metaphorically thankfully. The guns are conected to the main chassis by the arms from top of gun to shoulder and the power cables that run from the inside of the gun to couplings under the rear carapace and of course those power cables aren't the right shape .
Now that's not a problem, bending resin with a heat gun is easy, getting the cables to the right shape not so easy. Thing is if I attached the arm first so I could get the shape of the cables then it would be very tricky to get to the cables to work on them. If I attached the cables first I wouldn't know what position they needed to be bent to without the arm to line them up with...
Much thought was given and in the end I went with the "screw it what's the worst that can happen" approach and glued the cables to the body.

A little heat protection

And finally after a few nervous moments.

Speaking of the arm, I also picked up something new (Well new to me) to give a rusted finish.

It's not a great shot, but the real thing looks very much like rust, largely because it is rust. A paste of iron fillings and an oxidizer that causes the iron to rust over night.
Anyway it's starting to look even more Titan like:

(Cleared for digging this up with -Makenshi-)

Offline Only Slightly Crazy

• Those Damm commies! Impurifing our bodily fluids!
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 12:45:11 PM »
*Whistles*
Man shes big. How heavy is it?
DISCLAMER! Any thing offensive can be considered a joke in bad taste. Thank you!

Offline Tethesis

• Dreamers come and go, but the dream's forever
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 01:43:06 PM »
Keep'em coming :o

Eldar fight dirty! d(ºwº)b

Offline Garion

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 02:20:34 PM »
The net contrast between the eden-like terrain and the monstrosity looming above it it's a really good touch and it's so different from the standard war zone setting that you see around so often.

That's a very very good job!

G

Offline burgers4me

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 06:16:17 PM »
Headless monstosity!

Good to see this is still slowing becoming alive Khaine. Keep it up!

(And the fountain is epic IMHO)

Burgers!
What, Wait?