News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: So, the new Doctor is...  (Read 1122 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
So, the new Doctor is...
« on: August 4, 2013, 04:27:23 PM »
Peter "Malcolm beslubberITY BYE Tucker" Capaldi. A decent selection considering he's a proven actor with experience in the field. I suspect the younger generation looking for him on Youtube are going to be receiving a graduate level eduction in competitive swearing in the short term.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Ungnome

• Perserverence and silence are the highest virtues.
  • Armies: Black Templar/Chaos
Re: So, the new Doctor is...
« Reply #1 on: August 4, 2013, 04:48:32 PM »
Still debating if I like the choice. Not a big fan of his acting style.

On another note (related), another actor pulled up from the ranks of "Fires of Pompeii" episode.
It's all fun and games until someone losses an eye... then it's a sport. When someone dies, it's an Olympic sport. When someone is obliterated, it's definitely Warhammer!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #2 on: August 4, 2013, 05:01:52 PM »
I would have preferred Ben Wishaw (who starred alongside Peter Capaldi in The Hour, and played Q in Skyfall), but he had ruled himself out in advance.  Of the candidates who had a realistic chance, Peter Capaldi was the best of them, and I'm sure that he'll do a solid job, as his acting skills are very good.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #3 on: August 4, 2013, 06:04:01 PM »
They needed either a very strong actor, or an actor with a very strong personality, to fill that role given that anyone who plays the Doctor is under a huge amount of pressure to perform. IMO they also needed someone older so that we didn't end up with "the Doctor keeps getting younger" (as anyone that's been primarily following New Who will probably feel).

In that respect I think Peter Capaldi fits the "very strong actor" descriptor very well, so I think the BBC made a good decision.

(And yes, I am slightly biased, as I like him anyway.)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #4 on: August 4, 2013, 06:26:01 PM »
I'm not as worried about the new actor as much as the prior script writing. I've found it to be a bit amphetamine parrot the past few years. Yes, even amphetamine parrot compared to some of the enormous turds previously broadcast over the years. Matt had decent promise and ability yet was given many a Krusty Turd Burger for a script. Not a lot you can do in that situation.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #5 on: August 4, 2013, 06:56:37 PM »
I agree completely.  If it hadn't been for Matt Smith, I'd have stopped watching.  He has acted out of his skin in the face of some shockingly poor script writing, and weak plots.  The last series was, for the most part, very poor.  I hope that they give him something half decent to end his time as the Doctor.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente