News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Scions of Ra - DIY Marine Chapter  (Read 1307 times)

Offline King Ulrik Flamebeard

Scions of Ra - DIY Marine Chapter
« on: October 28, 2006, 11:54:31 AM »
Ok.. not posted here for a while but I am slowly building a DIY chapter, named - obviously - the Scions of Ra.  I have no background on paper but have an idea in my mind; so far I have a five man tactical squad.  These are posts from another forum...

A while back, people may have remembered me asking about ideas for an Egyptian themed marine force.  I've had this mini done for a while but never actually posted it up and few have seen it but this is the scheme I plan to use, only with a few modifyiers.  I have four more primed I just need to touch things up: such as the shading, highlights and maybe some slight weathering/scratches.  Oh and to make sure the pads are the right way around... *ahem*

The colours used, are - if I can remember correctly.

Desert Yellow; highlighted by adding bleached bone [shade will be a darker brown]

The lenses are hawk turquiose, for a splash of colour.  The bolter is black, obviously, and the metallics are the metals from boltgun to mithril.  The gold is shining, burnished and a darker one for the base [forget it's name] .  The icons are freehanded and are done with dark flesh, a small ammount of brown was added for the base layers.

Well this is what I am hoping my chapter; the 'Sons of Ra' will look like.  Just a few modifications needed here and there.

KU

This is the newer looking marine, he has lighter armour but it is not all that easy to tell the difference it's very close to the orginal; I like this one better.  Things I have changed, dropped the gold for the pad trims, it's now a darker bronze colour making them stand out more - the chest eagle is gold even if you cannot properly tell due to the angle.  The armour is properly shaded, brownlined more to be exact.  I've altered the bolter colour, now matches the colour used for the freehand and looks much better.  The metallics look much better this time, washed with layers of VGC Smokey Ink and a previous mix I learnt of; chestnut and brown ink with a touch of choas black.  Quite effective.  The base rim has been altered to look darker, make them stand out more.

Overall I am much more pleased with the out look, definately better looking.  However.... It has been mentioned that it is rather bland, this is true and is a little bit on purpose but am always willing for more comments on alterations.  The main one is to fit my theme, Eygptian, they lack any real Egyptian feel for them except the Eye of Ra on the pad [which incidently is on the correct side now].  Hawk Turqoise comes up and is a colour that would suit but I am at odds as to where to place it if I use it.  I don't want to use the Turqoise as a major secondary colour as it'll over power the sandy look which is not what I want; the only places I can see are -

Helmets
Shoulder Pads
Kneecaps

I do think that having full pads or helmets would distract too much from my main colour; someone did point out perhaps a small stripe or something on the leg - perhaps a freehand icon? That's doable I feel but is there anything else that someone could suggest?

KU

Ok another update.. the sergeant is done, though I'm unsure on the leg  banding. I wanted to show a sergeant without it screaming "OMG HERE I  AM!!!11"  ;)  The bands are quite subtle but I fear they do not look as  good as they could, and ideas? 

So  far.. I'm liking alot, I'm happy enough with them and have just two  more to make a full legal squad of five.  But here's a taster, three  marines;

KU

CURRENT

Ok, so a long time coming here is the first 'legal' squad of mine.  It requires another three marines but at the moment it's legal and I wanted to see what people thought;

The colours are not perfect, I still have a few problems with photoshop and photographing them but they're pretty much close enough.  My freehand needs work, I know, it's not consistant in size and shape but hopefully the more I do it the better I'll get at it.  Also, the pictures may not show this, the armour colours are not exactly the same.  This is due to me not writing down the amounts - or a recipe - so I must continually refer back to the previous minis; something to do next time - for consistancy reasons.

First off, the final two marines - Plasma Gun armed marine and a Bolter armed marine;

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/5290/squadaul3.jpg    [Larger view]

Well, I'm pretty much pleased with the look of them and they are - I hope - quite unique and different.  I plan to do more in the way of conversions, though due to other commitments this army will be slow going - don't expect me to blast out a squad in a week or two!

Thanks for looking, all critisim and comments welcome.

KU
Lo, there do I see my father.
Lo, there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers.
Lo, there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo, there do they call to me, and bid me to take my place amongst them in the Halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
Re: Scions of Ra - DIY Marine Chapter
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 12:05:48 PM »
Wow that's an excellent paint scheme you've got going on there. I look forward to seeing more if you've got any
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Yentz

• My Warjack Pwns Your Dreadnought
  • Ancient
  • Im Guilty
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 04:42:19 PM »
Agreed, those are some nice looking marines.

In particular, I like the bottom picture. The top marine picture I am not the biggest fan of, looks a bit like plastic. Course it could just be the particular photo shot.

Offline KINSMAN

• Infinity Circuit
  • Death is old and slow, she will not catch me
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 05:50:17 PM »
very nice!, i love the paint scheme, and the freehand chapter symbol, clean and crisp.

8.0/10.0
KINSMAN, the verbal punchbag

Everytime a noob says eldar are like legolas with a gun a little bit of me dies

see telemnar for a great banner/avatar

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 11:20:35 AM »
Thanks for the comments.

Yentz  - Yeah, he does look off compared.  That was my first test mini and the colours didn't work properly they were too washed and the colours used kept seperating on my pallete.  So for those following I added in GW colours and it seemed to work well, the rest look much better.  Though the colours are not exact from marine to marine - what you get for not having a recipe.

Chuckles - No, nothing new yet.  I have two more marines to make this squad full and then I'll work on a chaplain.

KU
Lo, there do they call to me, and bid me to take my place amongst them in the Halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever

Offline Lord Ulthanash

• Armies: Eldar: Corsairs and Ulthwe
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 11:24:25 AM »
damn that stuffs nice. And hawk turquoise is fine, wasn't Horus (no not the 40k one) a hawk headed god? Also, egypt ties to Horus (not the 40k one) and horus ties to horus (yes now I mean the 40k one), so why would there be an egyptian chapter? anyway I love it and remember to post fluff. Fluff tastes good.

He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it.

Offline Ashman

• Fear of Bovines. | Cool title here until Devern thinks of something better
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 11:26:04 AM »
Absolutely stunning! I love that colour scheme. Can't wait to see more stuff. No pressure. ;)

CM

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 11:46:46 AM »
Horus was the hawk headed god.  There is a lot more Egyptian themes in 40k than just Horus but I wnated something that could be rather unique.  As of yet there is no background on paper.

-Ashman-  - Yeah, no pressure. :P  I'll get round to adding more soonish, hopefully.

KU

Offline CRKrueger

« Reply #8 on: November 2, 2006, 07:07:49 PM »
Very nice job on these.  A couple suggestions.

Maybe on a test figure try a slightly darker brown color in the armor creases, I think it might work better, the one you have now looks a tad too light to be shadow (of course it might look fine when not under direct light).

You look pretty good at freehanding the "Eye of Ra", see if you can do the upper eyebrow and lower lashes around the right eyes of your sergeants( in black maybe).

As far as colors go, as people suggested, a Turqouise Blue would be an appropriate color, as would a medium shade of green.  Basically the classic Eqyptian palette was Red, Green, Blue, Black, White, and Yellow.  Dyes were an artform back then and some colors like purple, weren't available.

If you have the inclination to get some "robed space marines", painting the robes in pure white or a bright yellow would look very cool.

Oddly enough, the traditional white colors of apothecaries and black colors of chaplains would be appropriate as actually, would their reverse (white for chaplains, black for apothecaries).  For apothecaries I suggest using the Ankh symbol.

If you can get ahold of any necron scarabs, they would be good iconography to place on various parts of vehicles. 

Any lenses, crystals, glass etc... try an Amber color.

Use very little silver, use gold for all non-weapon metal highlights.

Here's a link I found that might help...
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/colorcode.htm