News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Wargaming, at Comic Cons?!  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Bassiecore

• Ork Boy
  • Insert generic quote here
Wargaming, at Comic Cons?!
« on: May 18, 2016, 05:04:18 PM »
Hey guys,
Some of you might already know me around here, but for those who don’t, I’m Bassie. I work for a UK based events company called Dark Cleo Productions (website here), and we’ve noticed something about the UK events scene. There’s no wargaming there. At all. Barring dedicated, one-system shows like Warhammer Fest, and trade shows such as Salute, there’s nothing for wargamers looking to attend conventions in the UK. Our company works very closely with Replay Events and Showmasters Events proprietors of the PLAY expo and the Film and Comic Cons in the UK and abroad, and we’ve decided to trial adding a wargaming area to our shows alongside the tabletop board- and card game areas. Starting with Manchester Film and Comic Con and following up with Play: Glasgow, the Dark Cleo Wargaming team will be in attendance to showcase the hobby to gamers and non-gamers alike.
Demonstrating several different systems that most people might not have seen before including Warhammer 40k, Age of Sigmar, Deadzone, Warmachine/Hordes and more. We’re hoping for a positive response to this addition so if any of you are planning to attend either of these shows, please do come say hi! If you can’t attend for whatever reason but would like to see wargaming become an established part of the events scene in the UK and beyond, drop me a message or reply to this post, every little helps after all. If you think this idea could do with improvement or if you come to our shows and are not happy with how we’re showcasing the hobby, let me know, we’re always open to new ideas.

‘till next time,

Bassiecore.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: Wargaming, at Comic Cons?!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 05:37:28 PM »
Strange. The American comic cons I go to always have a board/war gaming section for tutorials or pick up games between friends. Emerald City, for example, has been expanding their play area each year due to demand.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Bassiecore

• Ork Boy
  • Insert generic quote here
Re: Wargaming, at Comic Cons?!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 06:26:59 AM »
The GrimSqueaker,
I've heard that things are different at US cons, but here in the UK, the emphassis tends to be on the board/card game side of things. The closest we get to Wargaming at most shows over here is games like the Warhammer 40k Conquest card game and games like Star Wars X-wing.

- Bassie