News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: How I roll my Farseer  (Read 709 times)

Offline Halfpast_Yellow

• ##Don't run! We are your friends!##
How I roll my Farseer
« on: June 20, 2013, 02:32:11 AM »
Figured I'd share my method, the point is to get as many high impact powers possible (Doom, Fortune, Invisibility, Hallucination) while not doubling up on Witchfires, which unfortunately Runes of Fate has three of. It's not set in stone obviously as it depends what's in your army and what you're facing.

First preparation step, take the Spirit stone of Anath'lan (unless Eldrad of course).
Second preparation step should be to have something that benefits reasonably well from Guide should you default. Sounds obvious but sometimes people run all Waveserpents, Jetbikes, Aircraft and whatnot.
Last preparation step, realise Farseers are mainly offensive psykers in the new book, and prepare supporting units accordingly so they can operate in that 12-24" band - Small Harlequin units, Jetbikes, Wraith units, D-Cannons support all make reasonable mid-field bunkers for the Farseer in various matchups.

I *usually* roll like this.

First roll Runes of Fate.

if Executioner, swap for Primaris, and roll Telepathy x2

if Doom, keep, roll Fate again, if good Witchfire, keep and roll Divination; if unsuitable (Executioner always, matchup dependant for Death Mission/Mind War/Eldritch Storm) swap for Primaris and roll Telepathy x1; if Fortune, roll Divination OR Telepathy depending on lists*

if Eldritch, review matchup. Large infantry swarms and/or vehicle farms? Keep, roll Fate again, if Doom/Fortune keep and roll Divination, if Witchfire/Death Mission swap Primaris and roll Divination. If Eldritch is not good for matchup (e.g Flyer/Monstrous Creature heavy), Swap for Primaris and roll Telepathy x2

if Death mission, review matchup. If likely to be a tight game with decisive close combat on turns 4/5, keep, roll Fate again, if Doom/Fortune keep and roll Divination; otherwise swap for Primaris and roll Telepathy x2**

if Fortune, keep, roll Fate again, if good Witchfire, keep and roll Divination; if unsuitable (Executioner always, matchup dependant for Death Mission/Mind War/Eldritch Storm) swap for Primaris and roll Telepathy x1; if Doom, roll Divination OR Telepathy depending on lists*

if Mind War, review matchup. Solo Characters and/or Monstrous Creatures and/or dangerous vehicles reliant on their BS? Keep, roll Fate again, if Doom/Fortune keep and roll Divination, if Witchfire/Death Mission swap Primaris and roll Divination. If Mind War is not good for matchup, swap for Primaris and roll Telepathy x2

*If you have Doom and Fortune rolled it's basically your call what is going to help you more, Be mindful if you roll Invisibility or Hallucination you can't cast all 3 powers in one turn, the flip side is Invisibility+Fortune combo crazy well, and with Doom/Hallucination your seer can screw over two units within 24". Forewarning and Fortune also combo well, Misfortune and Doom again let you screw over two units within 24".

** If you have the Avatar. Phoenix Lord, Illic, Yriel, or Autarch in your army, they're better off as the Warlord given this power. Remember you roll powers after Warlord Traits. Jetbikes Farseers get to combat easier and stick around for longer too wreaking their havoc thanks to T4. Furthermore, Eldrad has a special relationship with Death Mission over other seers thanks to his AP3, T4, and Force Weapon, making him able to boss the end of the game, soloing monsters, HQs and FNP/Multiwound units.

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
Re: How I roll my Farseer
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 05:34:12 AM »
That's an interesting topic and i guess i can share my approach as well. I still use my Farseer mainly for Support and i build my lists so that in the worst case, i can make use of Presience, Guide and Psychiec Shriek. That said, i don't find any of the Witchfire Spells from Runes of Fate very useful...

Depending on whether i prefer Doom or Misfortune, i start by rolling for Fate or Divination. In case i start with Fortune, i roll once. If i don't get Doom, i take Guide and continue with Divination. If i don't get Misfortune, i take Prescience instead. If i have both Primaris Powers, i roll for Telepathy. If i get Hallucination i take it (Invisibilty is ok too, depending on my army) otherweise i take Psychic Shriek. I always find two targets for Prescience and Guide and Psychic Shriek can be useful as well.

In case i get Doom with my first roll, i continue with Divination. If i do get Misfortune too, i either roll again for Fortune or Divination, depending on what i expect to be more useful, range or CC support.

This usually leaves with either of these combinations
Perfect rolls: Doom + Misfortune + Prescience or Guide
Good: Doom + Presience + Psychic Shriek (or Invis or Hallu)
Good: Misfortune + Guide + Psychic Shriek (or Invis or Hallu)
Worst Case: Guide + Prescience + Psychic Shriek
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.