News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: GreenStuff-less Camo Cloaks  (Read 3560 times)

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
GreenStuff-less Camo Cloaks
« on: January 20, 2014, 10:34:35 PM »
Faced with the prospect of needing 10 SM scouts with camo cloaks and not really feeling like trying to sculpt all those with GS (flattening the sheets is the worst part), I looked for another option.

I had had some success doing ribbons on my Crusader models with paper towels, soaked in watered-down white glue, so I wanted to try something like that. One of the primary advantages of the paper towel is that the texture would be there and it would be easy to fold. Then I looked at my painting supplies and saw Liquitex Matte Medium. It's a lot like watered glue, and it worked out great.

Here's the photos of my test model, post-paint. The paint itself is Straken Green layer -> Seraphim Sepia wash (hitting the armor plates at the same time) -> Nuln Oil (wash). A pale green drybrushed to pick up some highlights.

Definitely worth it for 10-15 models.

Now with a video!
[LenoxModel] Let's Make a Cloak for our Wargaming Miniatures (without Green
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 02:09:09 PM by LoH »
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: GreenStuff-less Camo Cloaks
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 05:15:12 PM »
I like that look.

So, it's like paper machee, you say? Paper towel and some watery glue should work?

Do you have a rough shape [size] you used for the cloaks, for reproduction purposes?

Hmm... I should have used a different word. Duplication purposes?

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 06:08:17 PM »
I've been snipping the paper towels (and rounding edges) to just slightly below the height of the model, no more than 2in wide. Hold it up to the model, curving it around to approximate what you want. You've got quite a bit of working time. I'll probably work out some sort of template for SM scout armor. before I do all of the regular models I have.

Watery glue should work, but you'll need to make sure the glue is thoroughly mixed with the water, and I don't know the ratios. Too much glue and you risk ruining the texture. Artist's matte medium (you could probably use gesso as well) is a really, really convenient mixture with more uses than just this. Wipe off most of the excess or it'll run down to the base and pool there (see middle photo).

This is the brand of towel I'm using. Viva towels. I suspect you could get the same effect with thin cotton cloth. As an added niceness, these particular style of towel also is really convenient for wiping brushes off when painting. Unless you really like the look, don't bother with anything that has quilting on it; I found that the cheap "quilted" towels are effectively 2-ply and have no real texture to it. Looks like garbage once paint is on it. I have not tried toilet tissue, but I would be worried about fragility with that. The woven Viva towels are very durable.

I don't know what would be suitable for those not in the US.

This technique would also work well for tarps over tanks (probably where part of the idea came from, I think the tarp idea is in the old GW how to paint tanks book).

Oh, and I think it helps to not glue the head in before applying the cloak. One of the big downsides to this method is that you generally need the arms on the model before you do the cape. While I think you could do this to an already-painted model, I'm not that interested in trying.

The color for the painting was borrowed from my Sisters army and the texture took the washes beautifully. I might also look into doing robes/clothes for models in this manner. I think that SM tabards are still probably done better with GS (unfortunately).
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 06:12:21 PM »
I have some blue "shop towels" that are almost cloth like, so I think they'd work beautifully. I'll try this out, if the next IG codex makes them worthwhile. :)

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 06:16:37 PM »
I have some blue "shop towels" that are almost cloth like, so I think they'd work beautifully. I'll try this out, if the next IG codex makes them worthwhile. :)

Unfortunately, Ratlings will probably still be better for sniper rifles. ^^;

Definitely useful for doing for aerial recognition markings/tarps on tanks.
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 06:20:22 PM »
Sniper Rifles, Pfft!

Plasma Vets with a Heavy... if they don't nerf Vets. If they open up Camo Cloaks on Infantry Squads? Oh-me-oh-my-oh, I love my Aegis... Oh.

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 02:07:35 AM »
Sniper Rifles, Pfft!

Plasma Vets with a Heavy... if they don't nerf Vets. If they open up Camo Cloaks on Infantry Squads? Oh-me-oh-my-oh, I love my Aegis... Oh.
Ah. My veteran squads are very aggressive in their loadouts, usually carapace/plasma. One of my "shock+awe" squads is dual melta + hvy flamer and shotguns for the rest.

Post Merge: January 23, 2014, 12:47:53 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

I've videoed myself doing two more cloaks... then my camera ran out of power  ???
It's up on my Youtube channel!

Sculpt-less camo cloaks
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 12:47:54 AM by LoH »
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 09:10:40 AM »
Proof that the simple ideas are often some of the best.

One thing that may be worth trying if you get round to making a template is not to use parallel edges, give something that starts a little narrower at the top and widens near the base of the model a go as it gives a sense of the cloak having more movement at it's bottom compared to the top where it's fixed.

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline The Black Dahlia Murder

• NRPH forever...
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 06:11:49 PM »
The only problem I would have with this is would there be a chance that the cloaks can snap off? Does white glue actually make a bond that's strong enough to hold onto models? I have some cheese cloth covered IG as camo cloaks but I did it in layers. One layer that is the white glue water mix then take some thin glue and brush it over. After that fully drys, do a layer or two of the white glue/water combo.

I still love how it came out for you.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 07:15:09 PM »
Activity has slowed in recent years, but even so reviving a topic from 2014 is going back too far on this board, so I'm locking this topic in accordance with the rules for thread necromancy.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente