News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Designer's Commentary on Autarch Options  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Iluvhir Strafermeyer

• Ambassador of Craftworld Beaujl'blef
  • Armies: Eldar
Designer's Commentary on Autarch Options
« on: November 18, 2017, 04:46:07 AM »
Recently, GW released new FAQs for Craftworlds (among others) along with Designer's Commentary.
You can access these here: FAQs - Warhammer Community
Click on the Warhammer 40,000 logo to view the relevant PDFs.

Basically, as we are woefully aware, the wargear options for our autarchs were heavily limited with the release of the codex, removing several options that were in the index.
GW has now addressed this issue by allowing us to pick gear for our autarchs that was allowed in the index. They even provided a flow chart for us (it's in the Designer's Commentary PDF, on the last page: https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/warhammer_40000_designers_commentary_en-1.pdf).

This is great, I think, but I need some help. I've yet to figure out if we're allowed to pick, say, a fusion gun for the codex version of the autarch that comes with a star glaive.
The star glaive was only added in the codex. The other autarch options (skyrunner, SHW etc I am clear on)

So what do you think? How do you interpret the rules?
"Consider the battlefield: it is essentially a dawn in grim guise. It is a scenario in which darkness meets light and is annihilated by it.
Imagine that the enemy are the shadows lurking in the night - The arrival of our warhost is like the sun's light breaking the horizon. Let the Bladestorm expel the darkness."

Beaujl'blef Philosophy

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
Re: Designer's Commentary on Autarch Options
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 05:30:02 AM »
This is how I interpret the rules:
Autarch has the codex version of path of command and plasma grenades. (looses plasma grenades if on a bike)
Autarch can take one of these:
-Glaive
-Shuriken pistol
-Fusion pistol

In addition Autarch can take two of these:
-Avenger shuriken catapult
-Death spinner
-Powersword (but why would you take 2?)
-Chainsword (but why would you take 2?)
These can only be taken one of each (still only 2 in total):
-Fusion Gun
-Lasblaster (only on skyrunner Autarchs)
-Reaper launcher

Autarch can take either a banshee mask or mandiblaster helmet.

All costs and rules for wargear for the above will be taken from the codex.

Autarchs can have swooping hawk wings gaining skyleap, children of baharroth & skyleap. (no grenade pack)
Autarchs with Warp jump generators use the codex version of the "warp jump generator" described in the warp spiders entry, but cannot use "warp strike" or "flickerjump".
(I would houserule "warp strike" allowed, but it's not RAW) Base cost of this guy will be taken from the index, as there is no such pricing in the codex.

Autarchs pay for the forceshield, but the skyrunner Autarch has "peerless agility" instead and does not need to pay for that, since there is no price for it. (Autarch with WJG still pays codex price for the forceshield)
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 05:49:36 AM »
So that's a yes to my question then? I can take an autarch with a star glaive, fusion gun and banshee mask?

I don't think you can take swooping hawk wings on the glaive autarch. It's a fixed entry.
That's why there are three different datasheets for the autarchs (both in the index and in the codex).

If you could mix everything together so long as you pay the points, there would be no need for a flow chart. They'd just say, you can have any combo  you like.
But that isn't the case. The flow chart only mentions wargear options. These are:
1) choose a banshee mask or a a mandiblaster.
2) replace the shuriken pistol with a fusion pistol (all base builds come with a shuriken pistol in the index).
3) choose weapons from the autarch weapons list (some restrictions apply, such as only being allowed to take one fusion gun).

You have a number of base autarch builds to work with (three in the codex, four in the index).
Only the wargear options above from the index are available to add to the datasheets in the codex.

Since Swooping Hawk Wings aren't considered a wargear option (they're part of one of the base builds in both the index and the codex), I deduce that you can't take swooping hark wings on an autarch with the star glaive. The star glaive is part of a base build. It isn't a wargear option in the index. Didn't even exist before the codex.

That is how I interpret the whole thing.

My concern for the autarch with star glaive is because that particular weapon doesn't exist in the index. Still,  if I'm right, I'm allowed to get a pistol for it (shuriken or fusion), a mandiblaster or a banshee mask as well as up two weapons from the autarch weapons list (abiding by the restrictions). I cannot get wings or a jump generator for it, because those are not wargear options. If I want wings, for instance, I cannot take a star glaive, because the star glaive isn't a wargear option. It's part of a base build, same as the wings.

What I need to know is if you think I'm right in this assumption.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 06:12:41 AM by Iluvhir Strafermeyer »
"Consider the battlefield: it is essentially a dawn in grim guise. It is a scenario in which darkness meets light and is annihilated by it.
Imagine that the enemy are the shadows lurking in the night - The arrival of our warhost is like the sun's light breaking the horizon. Let the Bladestorm expel the darkness."

Beaujl'blef Philosophy

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 06:11:35 AM »
Hmmm, I can see why someone would not allow it, because the combination is not allowed in either codex or index, but since the shuriken pistol is not a requirement for getting a fusion gun I think I would allow it.

Having a lance on top of that might be a bit too good though, nah you can't use both the lance and the glaive in melee so I'd allow it.

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 06:14:48 AM »
I modified my post above with a lot of new text while you posted, Fenris. Please read through it all and then get back to me (modify you most recent post). XD

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Beaujl'blef Philosophy

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 06:46:49 AM »
No problem, I was just about to "I would not allow you to take a Glaive & a fusion pistol" not only because it's not an option anywhere but because it would be a situation where the sum could be more than the sum of it's parts, as shooting a multiDMG pistol while having a multiDMG melee weapon could cause issues.

I agree with your interpretation, and that you can't buy swooping hawk wings, warp jump generator or a skyrunner. These are all locked on to their separate datasheets.
The glaive is also locked onto a datasheet, just as the plasma/sunburst grenades are on some.
However you can add options from the index to all datasheets.
Fusion Gun and Banshee mask are clearly options in the index, hence you can have them along with the Glaive which you got from the datasheet in the codex.

An Autarch with Swooping hawk wings, with a warp jump generator or on a jetbike would not have access to the glaive. The Autarch skyrunner would not have access to plasma grenades either.
The Autarch skyrunner would at most times use the datasheet in the codex so does not need to pay for the forceshield, but if you really want that shuriken pistol(or fusion pistol)you will need to use the index datasheet and pay up for the forceshield, but you only need to pay the codex price for the forceshield and the twin shuriken catapults.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 04:34:06 AM »
I'd say, per RAW pistols are not available for foot or skyrunner Autarchs.

Thing is, the new Designers' commentary states that if a model has an entry in the codex, you can still use "Wargear options" from the Index entry. "Wargear options" is a specific section in a datasheet, and it doesn't cover the model's base equipment.

So, since the codex does have an entry for an Autarch (on foot), you have to use that entry. Then, you can still use the list of Wargear options from the Index, but if an entry in that list says "Replace shuriken pistol with X", the model still has to have that shuriken pistol. And since shuriken pistol is not listed as part of the model's base equipment in the Codex datasheet, the option still cannot be used.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus