News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 500 Points Orks vs. Ad Mech  (Read 3050 times)

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
500 Points Orks vs. Ad Mech
« on: November 5, 2017, 11:56:22 PM »
500 Point Orks vs. Ad Mech, Behind Enemy Lines

This is the first battle of an escalation campaign put together by Wyddr for he and I and two of our friends.  I am playing the Orks and Wyddr is playing Vostroyans.  Our friend that played Eldar in our previous campaigns is playing Iron Hands and our new friend that is just starting is playing Ad Mechs.

The Setting:
Orthos IV is an agri-world technically under the authority of the Tetriarchs of Vostroya. Or at least it was. An ork invasion of its major urban and space-port facilities in the southern temperate regions has led to a long conflict between the Vostroyans and the Orks with few signs of abating. The Orks now hold most of the former agricultural territory as well as several cities, while the Vostroyans control the oceans, many islands, and both polar regions. Imperial reinforcements had been inbound to help annihilate the menace, but then the Crix Maleditrix cut Vostroya off and now the subsector is on its own. The battle is a stalemate.

The Adeptus Mechanicus, however, has found evidence that the orks, in their looting, have come across something priceless--an ancient cache of tools and materials dating back to the Dark Age of Technology. This is a find of unparalleled importance--far greater importance than some backwarter agriworld. The radical members of the Cult Mechanicus are marshaling their Skitarii and preparing to strike at the orks and find the tech, world be damned. They will use the Astra Militarum to club the orks and, in the confusion, make off with their prize.  The Iron Hands, alerted by a less radical sect of the Cult Mechanicus arrive on the scene to put a stop to this tech heresy.

Ad Mech Forces
Tech Priest Dominus w/ Volkite Blaster, macrostubber, and Omnissian Axe (Warlord)

Tech Priest Enginseer

5 Rangers w/ 2 Transuranic Arquebii & Omnispex
5 Vanguard w/ Aplha w/ Taser Goad & Arc pistol
5 Vanguard w/ Aplha w/ Taser Goad & Arc pistol

Onager Dunecrawler w/ Eradication Beamer

Orks Forces
Warboss on War Bike w/ Big Choppa, Shoota & Attack Squig (Warlord w/ Tenacious Survivor)

Weirdboy w/ Da Jump

30 Shoota Boys w/ Boss Nob

6 Warbikers w/ Boss Nob

Mission
Under cover of the Imperial assault on Arendt, a small AdMech task force uses the confusion to infiltrate ork territory and search for signs of the ancient tech. Current scans indicate a factory--under ork control--that may yield clues. The Skitarii deploy to seize it!

The first directive is to kill all orks who could hinder the advance of the techpriests. They mustn't be permitted to warn others.

Scenario: No Mercy
Deployment: Search and Destroy

Deployment
Ork Deployment

Ad Mech Deployment

I win the roll off and choose my deployment zone.  I tried to deny my opponent as much cover as possible.  I also had fewer deployments so should be going first.  I set up my boyz and Weirdboy out of line of sight so they could use Da Jump.  I set up the Bikers as close to the edge of my starting zone as possible so they could zoom across the board to get into combat range as soon as possible.  My opponent deploys into as much cover as he can.  He also seizes the initiative, leaving my bikers wide open to his firepower.

Top of Turn 1
The Walker and Enginseer move back closer to the Dominus.  The Vanguard hold positions.  The Walker, Rangers and forward Vanguard take shots into the Warbikers and don't manage to do any wounds.

End of Ad Mech Turn 1

Bottom of Turn 1
I move the Bikers closer to the forward vanguard unit to shoot them before charging them.  They manage to take out 4 vanguard and they do 2 wounds to my boss nob.  The Warboss follows the bikers but doesn't have position to fire or charge.  The Weridboy jumps the boys into the Admech backfield.  The Boys split fire into the Rangers and the Dominus.  4 Rangers fall and the Dominus takes no wounds due to his high save.  I should have asked what it was before declaring fire otherwise it wouldn't have been wasted.

End of Ork Turn 1

Warbikes charge Vanguard

Top of Turn 2
The surviving vanguard falls back so the Crawler, Dominus and other Vanguard can fire into the bikers before the Vanguard assaults them.  They do manage to kill the boss nob but the vanguard losses 1 unit to overwatch and 2 units in the fight phase.  The Rangers takes a wound off the Warboss and the enginseer moves to deny the boys a clear path to the Dominus.

End of Ad Mech Turn 2 Movement

For the Omnissiah
That didn't turn out like we thought

Bottom of Turn 2
The Weirdboy jumps himself behind the boys so he can move into position to use Smite in the following rounds.  The warboss moves up next to the bikers and takes some potshots at the crawler to no effect.  The boys move closer to the ranger and enginseer and split their fire to kill the lone ranger and lone vanguard.  They assault the Enginseer, who is surprisingly durable.  He takes 3 wounds and kills one boy, but keeps them tied up in combat.  The Bikers finish their fight with the 2 vanguard and consolidate closer to the crawler.

End of Ork Turn 2

Welcome to the Murder Pit!

Top of Turn 3
The Crawler moves and shoots at the Ork Bikers, killing 1 before charging them.  No damage is done to either side in the fight.  The Dominus Charges the boys fighting the Enginseer and neither manages to damage the orks in the fight.  The orks manage to kill the enginseer and take 1 wound off the Dominus in their fight phase.

End of Ad Mech Turn 3

Bottom of Turn 3
The Warboss moves to charge the Crawler, taking 2 wounds off with his Big Choppa.  The bikers do nothing to the Cawler and the Crawler takes a wound off the Warboss.  The Weirdboy fired off a smite in the psychic phase and takes 3 wounds off the Dominus, leaving him with 1 before the fight phase.  The boys do 18 wounds to the Dominus, who makes 17 of 18 saves needed to survive.

The Omnissiah heard almost all the Dominus' prayers

Turn 4
The Crawler does another wound to the warboss but the Crawler manages to make it's saves and takes no wounds, staying in the fight.  At this point my opponent concedes, he's only killed 2 bikers and 1 boy and is down to his final unit.

The Orks Move in for the Kill

Final Score
Orks 8
Ad Mech 0

Post Mortem
For me, I was able to use a lot of what I've learned playing against Wyddr to good use against my opponent.  In deployment I tried to deny cover to my opponent and give myself good lanes of movement for my bikers.  Using the Da Jump in tandem with Warbikers that could threaten my opponent quickly would force my opponent to either split fire or focus on one threat.  The split fire shouldn't be enough to destroy one threat and focused fire would leave the other threat open to do damage.  Granted, this was a small game but it was good to see theory work in play.

For my opponent, this is his second game in 8th edition, and he asked for my thoughts after the game.  I thought he used cover fairly well during deployment and did okay in keeping me from Deep Striking into the middle of his units.  At this level, the Transuranic Arquebii were too expensive and did too little.  For the same price he could get another unit rangers with weapons that fire more shots.  Against my Orks, volume of fire is going to be important.  The ork mantra of boys before toys is a good one for most armies.

Overall, this was a fun battle and a learning experience for both of us.  We both had fun and are looking forward to the next battle, hopefully in a few weeks.  Thanks for reading and thanks, as always, to my opponent!

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: 500 Points Orks vs. Ad Mech
« Reply #1 on: November 6, 2017, 12:46:12 AM »
A good read! It was fun to see the boyz getting stuck in. Weirdboy + Boyz is just a great combo any time, and Da Jump is a great power. Keep up the work, and thanks for the battle report.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #2 on: November 6, 2017, 08:07:33 AM »
That was a great read Roboknee! A 30 boy mob at that level is certainly tough to deal with for any opponent. Just be careful to not get tarpitted by a small, high save unit. Smaller units are tougher to get all your models in the fight, as you can only get typically the first two ranks in range of the assault, limiting the number of attacks. This is especially potent if your opponent can use terrain to funnel your boys to limit their reach. With only a half or a third of your boys being in the assault a small unit with TEQ saves could tie your boys up for a few rounds, limiting their effectiveness. I found this out when assaulting a unit of Chaos Obliterators that tied my shoota boys up for three whole rounds. Your best targets would be a unit that you won't kill in the charge, but one that you would finish on your opponent's turn, keeping you safe in his shooting phase, but free to charge again in your assault phase.

Just my two cents on who to target your boys in the next round of your campaign.

Looking forward to seeing the next ork matchup. Waaaagh!

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: November 6, 2017, 09:12:02 AM »
This game reflects the 8th edition metagame fairly well, I think. This AdMech list would have done okay against 500 points of marines, but it had no substantial anti-horde potential.

Hordes are a serious, serious threat these days. You almost need to tailor against them.

And, of course, Da Jump is pretty much too good.

Congrats on the win!

(I'll post the Orthos IV campaign stuff soon. Well, when I get a chance.)

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
« Reply #4 on: November 7, 2017, 11:20:15 AM »
Thanks Blazinghand and thanks for the suggestion/tip dog_of_war.  If it weren't for the smite from the Weirdboy the Dominus would have tied up the boyz for a few more rounds before eventually failing enough saves.  I definitely noticed that the Dune Crawler would take a long time to whittle down with just the choppas from my warbikers, which is why I put a big choppa on the warboss.

Speaking of Warbikes, they aren't bad.  They pump out good dakka were pretty durable against small arms fire, I made a lot of my armor saves.  Once in assault they do okay but it feels like they did better with shooting than with fighting.  I do miss their hammer of wrath attacks from last edition, bikes charging into foot soldiers feels like it should do something.

Thanks too, Wyddr.  I mentioned the horde meta to my opponent too.  Against my orks he definitely needs more dakka and anti-infantry weapons.  Against the Iron Hands, when he plays them, his list would have performed better.

And yes, Da Jump is crazy good and too good not to use.  Especially in kill all enemy mission.

Offline Uncle Tungsten

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: November 8, 2017, 06:00:32 PM »
A brutal game, but a fun one, and a good learning experience.

After the dust cleared, there were a few clear take aways, several of which Roboknee was kind enough to point out. 

A) Don't bring a scalpel to a knife fight, especially when your opponent is bringing a choppa.  I designed this list around the start collecting box and a strong alpha strike, figuring that the snipers and the rad beamer on the dunecrawler would be enough to blow dents in the bikers as they approached, bolstered by a healthy six command points for boosts and rerolls, while the vanguard ran interference.  There was some bad rolling, but honestly this was also bad calculation on my part.  Even maxing out at six shots, the rad beamer was a weak choice, and the snipers can always choke, even if they hit, or only take out two bikers or so a turn.     

B) MSU isn't a good choice at low point levels, especially versus hordes.  This one's probably sort of a "duh", so I'll just claim temporary madness. Six command points was tempting, and I thought I could play clever during the deployment game with more drops.  Mad dreams of chaff units of vanguard charging in to gum up Ork bikers may also have been a factor.   

C)Castle up, and spread out!  AdMech Units should have been spread out more to limit options for Ork jumps while at the same time being in closer proximity for mutual support.  If those vanguard hadn't been deployed so far forward, they could have provided a stronger response to the incoming boyz.

List revisions are as follows, then.

1) Replace the rad beamer with the icarus array.  Ten shots with good strength and AP threaten both bikers and boyz at range.

2) Drop the snipers and replace them with more vanguard or rangers: one block of 10 vanguard and two blocks of 5 rangers or vanguard.  Once again, the vanguard can respond to both bikers (with the chance for two wounds) and boyz (assault three guns).  Also, Wrath of Mars becomes an option.

Or one could always go Kastelan.

Looking forward to the next battle!

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #6 on: November 8, 2017, 08:02:02 PM »
Doesn't the Icarus suffer penalties to hit non-flying units? That doesn't seem a great deal, if so.

Overall, I'm not sure the Dunecrawler is the way to go against orks--at least not until they're coming at you in trukks. Dunecrawlers wipe vehicles and elites, but kinda suck at antipersonnel.

I think triple Phosphor dakka-bots are the way to go, if you can fit them in. At 500 points, don't worry about having lots of command points (well, unless the AdMech strategems are boss--I wouldn't know). Field a patrol with a big block of Vanguard (or two) and some robots.

Offline Uncle Tungsten

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: November 9, 2017, 11:57:53 AM »
Totally agree on the phosphor bots. Just ordered a box of Kastelans from my FLGS this past weekend, actually. We'll see if they're operational for the next engagement.