News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Chronicles of the Brush: For the Greater Good  (Read 119235 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Myen'Tal's Conclave: The Painting Chronicles
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2019, 06:16:38 PM »
5) Gearing up to acquire an Airbrush and compressor. I'm looking at the Iwata Medea Eclipse HP CS and their Ninja jet Pro Compressor.

Start with a cheap airbrush, its all you will need for base coating and spraying most mechs, you can do basic blending, stencils, etc. You'll spend more time cleaning the darn thing than spraying, and its best to work out the kinks on a cheap one first (You can get them for less than $20 AUD). This will also give you time to work out how to thin your paints for airbrush usage.

6) I also now have the ambition to start moving away from Citadel GW paint range. Now that they're going up in price again, coupled with the fact that they offer less paint, worse bottles that they come in compared to the competition, it just doesn't make sense to remain with it. I'm actually looking at the Vallejo Game and Game Air Range, perhaps coupled with some of their Mecha range paints. Anyone have any advice on how to best utilize these Vallejo paints?

The are used in the same way as Citadel paints. You get more paint true, but you tend to waste more with the dropper bottles unless you are batch painting with a wet palette, so it kind of evens out.

I've used them primarily for base coating as GW changed the Ultramarine blue on me, where as Vallejo keeps their range consistent.

There is a certain other forum that has a conversion chart, it is reasonably good, but missing a lot of the newer edges.

Air range is OK, but since they are the same price as a normal bottle, mixing your own goes further, so I don't really air brush with them any more. That said, I've found the white is fantastic for painting fine lines, I can't seem to get the ratio right for the GW whites. So can also work as a sort heavy shade, so it can pool into or around areas and still be used to evenly tiny flat areas, black metal is great for this.

I've stuck with GW as I'm lazy, having the colours on the box or their painting app, but the other issue is Vallejo can be a right pain in the backside in Aus, the distributors are not great here, so sometimes you have to mail order a specific colour. It took more than four months to get Ultramine blue back in stock in Aus a while back, so I have a stock pile now lol.

GW is about to do a price hike on their paints as well, it was about a 10% increase in the UK, if keep that percent across the board, then it will be almost $8 a pot here, when I can get a bottle of Vallejo at $4.50-$5, then I'll be migrating to Vallejo.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2019, 08:36:49 PM »
Informative post, Mage, thank you for the advice :). I'm going to keep researching how best to take care of these brushes. You're right, preventative maintenance is half the battle :).

Funny you mentioned start with a cheaper airbrush. I happened across badger airbrushes website, which is holding some huge sale on their airbrushes. All of their available air brushes are priced at $55, no matter what tier, coupled with a $10 shipping fee.

I just bought two of them!

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Co-105-2XR-Airbrush/dp/B00471RFQA/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547170297&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=xtreme+arrow+airbrush

Thayer & Chandler Vega 1500 Airbrush / Mixing Pipette - Powerhobby.com

Might get a cheaper one just to practice with first though.

Here is the sale!

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Special_Offers_Domestic.asp
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:41:54 PM by Myen'Tal »
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #142 on: January 14, 2019, 09:07:28 PM »
Another Akhelian and a half done. This might be my least favorite finished Akhelian so far. I'm not overly fond of the pattern, and the blue highlights on the black armor isn't as clean as I'm used to. I think he still looks good, but I'll be rethinking the pattern on Akhelian #5.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:33:20 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2019, 07:28:48 AM »
Another Akhelian and a half done. This might be my least favorite finished Akhelian so far. I'm not overly fond of the pattern, and the blue highlights on the black armor isn't as clean as I'm used to. I think he still looks good, but I'll be rethinking the pattern on Akhelian #5.

I think he's fine, technically. However, I think that the pattern on the eel makes the model look a bit too busy; especially when combined with the bold contrast of the armour highlights and the eel's moth and fin tips. He not bad, but I think that your previous models have been better balanced, which elevates them above this guy.

I'm actually really keen to see the next guy with no patterns on the skin...I just think it could work really well. The skin as it stands looks excellent.

Looking forward to seeing how you progress.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2019, 10:07:19 AM »
Yeah I think I might go back and redo the skin on the finished one. Which side of Akhelian #6 is the one you like the most? One flank is rakarth flesh and the other is Deepkin flesh layered on rakarth.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2019, 11:29:28 AM »
Probably prefer the top one. The bottom looks a little more like one of Missy Elliot’s velour tracksuits...
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #146 on: January 21, 2019, 07:08:07 PM »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #147 on: January 22, 2019, 08:20:28 AM »
I'm in squig heaven! You've totally inspired me to make some kustom tankbustas now that I see I can finally get some plastic squigs off of eBay to convert.

Those goblins are looking mint. Can't wait to see you throw some paint on those.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #148 on: January 22, 2019, 04:04:41 PM »
I'm in squig heaven! You've totally inspired me to make some kustom tankbustas now that I see I can finally get some plastic squigs off of eBay to convert.

Those goblins are looking mint. Can't wait to see you throw some paint on those.

Oh yeah, the new Squig Kits are absolutely glorious to behold once assembled! I really like the basic squig herd a lot, but man o' man, the Squig Hoppers are just bursting with personality and detail. There's a good amount of faces that are swappable with each body component. The legs are not so swappable though, each of them goes with a specific midsection. But them and the goblin riders have a solid amount of customization to them.

Also, if you're looking to convert some of the Squig mounts in the Squig Hopperz box, the only piece that attaches the goblin rider to the mount is a fold of skin that plugs in just behind the head. If you shaved off the hand and the skin fold plastic, it could easily look like no one was riding it at all! :)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #149 on: January 28, 2019, 06:42:58 PM »
GW sculpters are having a field day with the new line, they all look amazing.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #150 on: January 29, 2019, 07:56:15 PM »
GW sculpters are having a field day with the new line, they all look amazing.

Yeah, I love how crazy these new models are! Actually, with the new list I've devised, I'll be combining my Squigalanche list and my Moonclan list into one Army! I'm only a couple of kits away from completion! Just have to finish building what I have right now.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #151 on: January 30, 2019, 09:42:51 PM »
A couple of Updates of what I've been working on!

So, that Akhelian with the strange, busy Black Pattern. A little re-working and viola! I'm loving this Akhelian so much more now!

So, about that Akhelian with the strange Half-and-Half purple skin? I tried to go back and replicate the better half of it, but I guess I could not find the correct consistency again. IT looked like a mess. So I decided that since I had so much success repainting the Eel with the Black Pattern, that I'd try to replicate it on this one and make them a pair!

Work In Progress:

Also, I've sworn fealty to the Dark Gods and the Tribes of Chaos ;D! Looking to add a Darkoath War Queen and Chieftain to my ranks soon!

And more progress on the Gobbos! Still have a few kits to unbox and assemble!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Looks like an electric eel now :)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Looks like an electric eel now :)

Indeed, he does! I actually discovered, that painting on the pattern instead of stippling / dabbling it works much better in the end result. Sometimes you end up brushing more paint onto the model than you want, but you can easily clean up with the original color!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Everything looks amazing Myen’Tal!  The gobbos, the squigs, the eels, the barbarians...fantas tic work!  :)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Everything looks amazing Myen’Tal!  The gobbos, the squigs, the eels, the barbarians...fantas tic work!  :)

Thanks, Calamity!!! I've got another box of Grots and Squig Hoppers to assemble, and another Grot Box in reserve for now. Once that is completed, all I'll need is a unit of Sneaky Snufflers, Loonboss on Mangler Squig, and the Endless Spells and the army will be complete collection wise!

Just have to figure out how best to paint them.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Looking good dude :) I for one rather like the pattern on the purple akhelian :)

Companies changing paint coloura is one of the reasons I went to doing primarily non-uniform mixed colours for my scavenger dudes. The only block colours are black, off-white, gunmetal, red, bone, and a violet wash. All of those aside for the violet wash are pretty safe, and if they change any other colour then it should just blend into the already varied mixed colours :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Thanks, Ynnead!

Good information about mixing colors. It wasn't that the paint had change, I just forgot the ratio I used to achieve the initial result :).

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Thanks, Calamity!!! I've got another box of Grots and Squig Hoppers to assemble, and another Grot Box in reserve for now. Once that is completed, all I'll need is a unit of Sneaky Snufflers, Loonboss on Mangler Squig, and the Endless Spells and the army will be complete collection wise!

Just have to figure out how best to paint them.

Sounds awesome!  :D

If you’re painting black robes, I’d strongly recommend using a base coat of mechanicus grey with lots of nuln oil washes applied over it.  It’s so easy to do and looks great when finished.  :)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Myen'Tal's Conclave: The Painting Chronicles (Evocators & more Stormies)
« Reply #159 on: February 9, 2019, 03:30:49 AM »
Finally got back to working on my Evocator Squad. Let me know if the images aren't focused enough. I'll post up better images later this morning.

« Last Edit: February 9, 2019, 02:07:48 PM by Myen'Tal »