News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Deadspace's Renegade Militia Necromunda Gang/Army  (Read 8338 times)

Offline Deadspace

Deadspace's Renegade Militia Necromunda Gang/Army
« on: February 28, 2009, 02:14:53 PM »
Hey all, my first attempt at a "plog", in an attempt to keep myself motivated throughout this project.  But first, some background.

In 40k, I'm a Chaos Space Marine player, Black Legion.  I'm getting to the point with them where I've collected most of the models I plan on using, and I've started looking forward to the next project.  Since Apocalypse is apparently quite popular, I thought it would be nice for me to have an army that my Black Legion would be able to ally comfortably with, and not look just like two unrelated armies have turned up and said "s'up".

So, I decided I'd do a renegade guard army.  Though I wanted to go a step further.  I wanted a Renegade army, Forgeworld extra bits and all.

Unrelated to this, my gaming group are (pretty much) to a man Necromunda fanatics.  Our last campaign ended last year, and lately we've started planning out the next "cycle".  We've decided to do 500 credit lists, as opposed to the 1000 credits you would usually use in an effort to try something different.  And here is where my Cunning Plantm kicks in.  Rather than just start a Renegade army, I decided to build up a gang using Renegade Militia models, and at some point, filter them into my future army.

Tl;Dr version - I'm making a Necromunda gang which will eventually form part of a Renegade Militia army.

Now, the fun part, models.  Via a friend, I managed to get hold of (read: stole while he wasn't looking) a couple of models from the Renegade Militia Command Squad, namely This happy chap with an autogun, and This Plasma gunner.  I've started painting them up, and they'll be joined by some friends when my order from Forgeworld arrives.

I'm not totally sure about the colour scheme I've chosen, mainly the gloves.  They were originally the same camo green of the rest of the fatigues, but they didn't really work in that colour either.  I guess that dark brown or black would probably be best, either as the permanant colour, or until I can figure something out for them.  My driving idea for the colour scheme was to make sure it would be easy enough to replicate 50+ times, yet still look decent at the squad level Necromunda is played at.  To that end, most of the colours on these two are basecoat + washes.  This makes them suprisingly quick to paint and (humbly speaking) doesn't look too bad either.

Anyway, that's enough blabber, you want pictures.  Up first is the autogun ganger, Brutale.  Yes, the end of his gun is a bit wonky, there was a bit of an accident during painting, and it snapped off.  I managed to pin it back on, but unfortunately it was a little the worse for wear.  The boots aren't done yet, and the base needs tidying up, but you can get the idea.

This plasma gunner isn't actually in my gang list at the moment, but as he's one of my favourite Renegade models, I painted him up anyway.  I'm not sure what I'm doing with the head at the moment.  I'm thinking a dirty leather look, but I'm open to suggestions.

That's all from me.  More soon.

Offline Deadspace

Re: Deadspace's Renegade Militia Necromunda Gang/Army
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 12:39:29 PM »
So, apparently, they call this progress.

Got home from work today to find a lovely lovely package waiting for me.  Cue some excited tearing, and I discover these;

So, tonight i'll put together the rest of my gang, and i'll be back with more pictures after that.

Offline Deadspace

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 07:53:17 AM »
Well, since that last update provided so much excitement, i'll go and attempt to overload the internets with more pictures.   Saying i'd finish them "tonight" may have been a bit optimistic though.

Here's the Gang Roster, just so you can all see where i'm heading

Bane (Gang Leader) - Boltgun, Chainsword
Reaper (Heavy) - Boltgun
Fright (Ganger) - Shotgun (S,S,MS)
Brutale (Ganger) - Autogun
Abattoir (Ganger) - Autopistol, Sword

First off is Bane.  You can see on the second picture the start I have made at modifying his Sergeant stripes into an arrow.  Since Green Stuff isn't my forté, it's a bit rough at the moment, but i'm working on it.

Reaper next.  You'll notice that he has a Hellgun (from the Krieg Grenadiers set) rather than a Boltgun.  I reasoned that since a Hellgun is essentially a Lasgun with Hotshot pack, it would also be equivalent to a Boltgun (exact same stats).  Once I've reequipped Reaper with a Special/Heavy, this model will just become a Ganger with Lasgun.

And the two other Gangers, Fright and Abattoir.  Nothing special about these two, other than the replacement autopistol on Abattoir (turns out, resin is really brittle when it's tiny.  Who knew).

And finally, a group shot of the new arrivals.  I forgot to take a picture with Brutale (d'oh), but that's not the end of the world.  Now it's off to the paint station to get these guys painted up.  Later.

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 05:58:41 PM »
Excellent idea, what gang list are you using for them?

The painting doesn't look too bad at all, although I would switch to brown for the gloves. A very simple way of getting a good brown leather is scorched brown highlighed with a 1:1 mix of scorched brown and codex grey. That can then be washed with devlan mud if you feel it needs toning down. I used it for the leather on my Orks and it turned out quite nicely.

Offline Jehan-Reznor

• The Dude in Japan
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 06:39:14 PM »
nice work, but how will you handle the upgrades in necromunda with these figures?
"this can't be happening, Man!"
my projects;
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=169427.0 budhhist space marines
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=163611.0 Doombringer my space marine chapter
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=150109.0 Hello Kitty Space Marine Army

Offline Deadspace

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 07:29:57 PM »
Excellent idea, what gang list are you using for them?

The painting doesn't look too bad at all, although I would switch to brown for the gloves. A very simple way of getting a good brown leather is scorched brown highlighed with a 1:1 mix of scorched brown and codex grey. That can then be washed with devlan mud if you feel it needs toning down. I used it for the leather on my Orks and it turned out quite nicely.

I'm probably going to be using the Orlock list, though since the campaign won't be using the House Weapons Lists, this is only really going to affect their skill progressions.  Out of the 6 House gangs, Orlock is probably the best to represent military training, though I have toyed with Van Saar...

Thanks for the brown leather recipe.  I'll give it a shot and see how it looks.

nice work, but how will you handle the upgrades in necromunda with these figures?

When i'm upgrading models, I tend to only give them "invisible" upgrades, so that i'm not eternally ripping apart perfectly good models.  My group is also pretty lenient on the WYSIWYG rule, for Necromunda at least, for that reason.  When I absolutely have to change equipment though, I'll typically build a whole new model, and keep the older version for next time I need that combination of equipment.

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 02:58:42 AM »
Well, since that last update provided so much excitement, i'll go and attempt to overload the internets with more pictures.   Saying i'd finish them "tonight" may have been a bit optimistic though.

Lol, don't worry about (the lack of) responses. The members of this board like to lurk a lot.

It's like they pop out of the webway, take a little look and disappear again.

For a true assessment of a thread's popularity, check the view counter. That's much more effective. ;)
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline Greggor Sin, the Jolly

• Steampunk: Yeah, it's kind of like that
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 02:22:16 PM »

Lol, don't worry about (the lack of) responses. The members of this board like to lurk a lot.

It's like they pop out of the webway, take a little look and disappear again.

For a true assessment of a thread's popularity, check the view counter. That's much more effective. ;)

*pops out of webway, peruses topic, dissappears*

...but really, I can't wait for this army to progress.  I enjoy watching these kinds of things, and really appreciate the work you do (which i use as inspiration).  I have nothing really to comment on or criticize, so I'll stick to the webway and hop in once in a while.

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 02:34:58 PM »
I admit that I do the same ... very often ... but I try to comment as often as possible.

The lack of feedback, support or criticism is very 40ko specific. Other boards are much more ... well ... alive and supporting.
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline Plague Tower of Nurgle

• Ork Boy
  • My troops are protected by "Nurgley Goodness"
    • Northeast Gamers Hub
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 10:15:18 AM »
i really like your Renegade Militia, i am thinking about starting a small one to go along with my Death Guard (somebody has to drive and man the superheavies). I really like how you have your Militia posed. They give me some good ideas for how to make different squads. I really like the one with the DKoK hellgun, he reminds me of a sniper.
legion of sickness
lord of misery
after my death I rise in immortality
unleashing the horror my words are infected
feast on my rot
I am resurrected

resurrection of the rotten
resurrection of the dead

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 10:29:28 AM »
Liking the models a lot ^^

Will be waiting for an update ;)

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Deadspace

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 04:56:50 PM »
So, a little over two weeks later, and there is progress.  Or, to be more precise, i've finished the starting line up.  Or, to be even more precise, i've finished the starting line up apart from the bits i've noticed while sorting through these pictures.  D'oh.  Still, they're only little things, and pictures are still good.  Right?

Anyway, group shot first. 
L-R Brutale, Reaper, Bane, Fright, Abattoir

Bane's Glamour Shots

There's the first thing I noticed that needed finishing, his hands.  I'm probably going to go for a sickly, pale skin tone, given that these guys would presumably spend a vast amount of time sealed inside thier uniforms.

Next, Reaper.

You'll notice that in the group shot, the base Reaper is on makes him pretty much the same height as the standing models.  I figured that this would let me get away without any LOS issues from the kneeling pose.

Next up, the grunts.

Abattoir

Nothing much to add for him, other than the wrappings on his "sword" arm which I seem to have missed.  I tried to give the arm blade a rusted appearance, but with sharpened edges.  I don't think that I quite managed to pull it off, but I think I got the rusty part ok.

Fright

I'm not massively happy with this guy, so I might go back and repaint his hood.  At the moment he is very "brown" from the front, so I think a splash of red should fix that.

Finally, for completeness, Brutale.  I haven't changed anything with him, but it's still nice to see him with painted friends.

So, now i'm piecing together some terrain, and hopefully we'll be able to start playing some games soon.  After that, we'll see where the dice gods take me, and i'll be back with gang upgrades in due course.

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 05:16:02 PM »
Nice to see some progress.

I'm quite fond of Reaper, he has to be my favourite at the moment. The Death Korps arms work much better than I thought they would when he was unpainted.

Nothing much to add for him, other than the wrappings on his "sword" arm which I seem to have missed.  I tried to give the arm blade a rusted appearance, but with sharpened edges.  I don't think that I quite managed to pull it off, but I think I got the rusty part ok.

If you want a good rusted metal guide, I'd take a look at this month's White Dwarf. The 'Eavy Metal Ork tutorial has a great rusty metal that's pretty easy to pull off, it's mostly just thinned browns painted into the recesses. Worked a treat on the Skaven Warlord I'm painting up. Yours is pretty good, don't get me wrong, but it looks very red in the pictures.

Offline Jehan-Reznor

• The Dude in Japan
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 07:25:44 AM »
looking great looking very chaotic
"this can't be happening, Man!"
my projects;
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=169427.0 budhhist space marines
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=163611.0 Doombringer my space marine chapter
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=150109.0 Hello Kitty Space Marine Army

Offline TheBigBadPanda

• For the Dark Gods!
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 08:27:16 AM »
I would love to see a whole army of those  ;D
If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 09:50:37 PM »
I second that!

These look great indeed ^^

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Cypher1202

« Reply #16 on: April 1, 2009, 02:24:18 PM »
Love em !

Offline Deadspace

« Reply #17 on: April 1, 2009, 05:08:26 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  As I mentioned in my original post, my cunning masterplan is to eventually have a decent sized army of these guys.  Building up a Necromunda gang first is my way of getting familiar with the bits, and also making collecting that mass of infantry a little bit more exciting.

I've just finished work on my first terrain piece, and I'll be getting some pictures of it put up as soon as I can re-borrow a camera.

Oh, and thanks for pointing me towards the WD article Khemri.  I had a look at it, and there are some interesting ideas there which i'll be keeping in mind.

Offline dakota

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #18 on: April 7, 2009, 02:40:18 AM »
Some really good figures there, and some excellent basing too.