News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: experience with Quickshade  (Read 4675 times)

Offline WarpSpider

• Yes, we're cheesey - we live in KRAFTworlds!
experience with Quickshade
« on: October 21, 2008, 03:55:58 PM »
For all of you lazy types who hate inking models...this is a cool product line.

I picked up the Quickshade Dark last week and find that using it is approximately 98% less effort than inking, with 104% better results.

I've used two methods:

A) Full dip (paint the model, dunk the entire thing in the goop, let dry).

B) Paint the stuff on with a brush, let dry.

I found that method A covered a bit of detail but looks 'acceptable' - and still better than hand shaded or inked (note: I am pretty good at both, not great).

Method B took slightly longer than a simple dunk and forget, but really looks great. It takes maybe 45 seconds to do a single 28mm miniature this way.

Downsides to the product:
* It takes 24 hours to dry. To me, not a big deal. I have models that have been waiting for shading and inking for...10 years.
* The Dark hides some detail over lighter paints if you just dunk them - the stuff is THICK. The STRONG version of Quickshade is what is recommended for 40K miniatures, but I had been using black ink, so went with the darkest one. The medium pigment STRONG version would probably not have this problem.
* If you don't like a glossy finish, you need to hit the dried models with a dull coat spray. The one this company makes is better than GWs,  by all accounts I've seen. I like a glossy finish for this army, so this is not a problem for me.
* It seems expensive, but if it came from GW it would be at least twice as much, without a doubt. To me, $25+ is well worth saving an estimated 15-20 hours hand inking/shading little men with guns.

For more info/galleries:

http://www.thearmypainter.com/

(trying to figure out how to post pics of my test models...stay tuned)
Grenade sword! It could only be more cool if it had tits and was on fire. - Hymirl

Offline TK422

• Blog
Re: experience with Quickshade
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 12:15:51 AM »
Very interesting. Will have to  this out.

Try http://imageshack.us/
or http://photobucket.com/
for posting images.

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 12:36:27 AM »
It does seem interesting, thanks for the link.

I may have to order some up and try it for myself.

Offline Blaze182

• The Damned~ Faithful Ulthwe Leader
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 07:26:47 AM »
From that little image on the website.. looks pretty interesting... When you said 'inks' did you actually mean inks? Or just havent gotten acustom to the new GW 'washes' name? lol. Cause the inks v. washes are quite different, haha. But still... it looks a really good product... thus, I await your minitures!!!
Hard Trance Loyalist!!!

Offline ZeD1911

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 10:25:52 AM »
I'm pretty sure they were talking about this stuff in either ep 18 or 17 of 40kradio. They gave it a great review from what I recall.
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye,
then it's fun and games without depth perception.

Offline malicant

• "It is not blood that binds us..."
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 10:55:23 AM »
Wow, that'simpressive stuff. 

Offline WarpSpider

• Yes, we're cheesey - we live in KRAFTworlds!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 01:58:31 PM »
Blaze182,

I meant inks. Specifically, the old GW inks, and the Vallejo inks. I also tried the new washes. None produce nearly as good an effect, and all take much longer to try to do well.

TK - thanks, I will see if I can get some pics up using one of those tonight.
Grenade sword! It could only be more cool if it had tits and was on fire. - Hymirl

Offline jeremiahdrigg

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 04:56:14 PM »
This is just a specificly formulated dip. The spray paint is thick and must be shaken VERY VERY well. It will apply thick. Then the dip is just a formulated stain. Looks great from what I see. If you are interested in it check out 40kradio. They covered a segment on it 2 weeks ago i think.

Offline Echo9x

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Washes vs dips
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 12:04:20 AM »
I'm wondering how many of you use a dipping method vs washes and why? I know army painter has a pretty neat system and the link below seems like it would work well. I can't say that I've ever dipped a model and was hoping to get some insight on the technique. Also if you have any advice on the use of washes that would be appreicated. I tend to "lather" it all over the model and I guess haven't had the best of luck with consistent results.

http://fanaticus.org/DBA/guides/Painting/paintingstains.html
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 12:14:08 AM by Echo9x »

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
  • tied and gagged in the back of your car
Re: Washes vs dips
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 12:58:22 AM »
From what I've read, dipping is faster then washing, but you don't get nearly as much control. You also don't get as much colour variance, in that you can wash one part, paint on other parts, wash that, and move on. With dipping, it's all or nothing.

Offline kanatanssi

• What do you think of yourself? I'm a filthy vermin
Re: Washes vs dips
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 03:40:15 AM »
I use washes. As said above, it's more controlled and you get better colour variance over dipping.
Dipping isn't too much faster either, for as I tried, it takes longer for dips to dry than what it takes for washes.
Yokels, Vikki Lusaka Muller nippiest Kama's  joss on Peru's troop it (Eli talion Hy blotto Jae invoking Rosene Jae jingliest as pat) Damion rings, greater daemon Jae Mahdi Paulson spawner.

Offline Je[st]er

• greets Asphix
technique?
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 07:07:33 PM »
hey hey!!

questions about the ?dipping technique?

what does it do and when do you use it and with what kind of paint/ink or mix?

thanks for the help!

peace out!

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
Re: technique?
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 07:21:46 PM »
Dipping process:

1.  Prime the model white.
2.  Paint block sections in the colours that you want as the end result, but a slightly lighter version.  Say you wanted to paint a Tyranid with green flesh and bone carapace, so you lay that on flat.
3.  Crack out a tin of wood stain, stick the entire model in and (thoroughly) shake off excess.
4.  Once the model is dry the wood stain will have worked it's way into the recesses and creates a "natural" shading with minimum of effort.
5.  Paint on highlights and detailing (such as eyes.)
6.  Base the model.
7.  Done.

It's a quick and easy way of getting shading to your models without expending too much effort or needing skill beyond painting inside the lines.  It works best for models with earthen colours such as Orks and Tyranids, depending on your paint scheme.  You can get wood stain in a variety of shades to suit your needs and some companies have started producing tins of stain that claim to be specifically for miniature modellers dipping purposes.  How different in formula and affect they are I don't know.

It doesn't work with all models and mainly depends on the colours you're paint.  For example if your main colours are black, blue or white then dipping probably isn't for you.  It's also important to be careful when shaking off the model - don't leave too much stain on, don't lose grip and through your prized model sailing across the back-garden, etc etc.
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline ricknight

• Ric's Game Space
Re: technique?
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 09:13:03 AM »
You can also just brush on the wood stain in stead of dipping and get good results if your wife/mother/room mate objects to shaking off the excess.. [it can get a little sloppy ;)  ].

I used this method on my Imperial Guard and posted pictures of it on my blog to show the before and after results

Link: The Dip