News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Suicide, and it's impact.  (Read 47261 times)

Offline Mort

Re: Suicide!
« Reply #40 on: December 2, 2003, 09:34:53 AM »
Thank you.
“and so by his divine wisdom the god emperor brought unto the light of the universe his most terrible weapon. he molded them from the steel of the mind and the fires of the warp. he gave them the tools of destruction and bid them to bring his swift vengeance.”

Offline Caligua t3h Liffguard

• Don't ask...just don't ask. Actually...ask.
« Reply #41 on: December 2, 2003, 12:05:39 PM »
My deepest sympathies.

"Let your heart be at peace.
Watch the turmoil of beings,
but contemplate their return.

Each separate being in the universe
returns to the common source.
Returning to the source is serenity."
"Aren't you afraid of playing God, lad?"
"I am God. Thou art God...and any jerk I remove is God, too."

Offline Hawk101

• Warning: Messed-up childhood in progress
« Reply #42 on: December 2, 2003, 04:41:03 PM »
sorry to hear that
"There is nothing to fear except fear itself"
The last address of Commander Rasbora, before the final Tyranid assualt that destroyed the last human-held fort on Brochius III.  Judged beyond reprieve, it was virus-bombed four months later.

Biel-tan WLT record

W:7 L:0 T:1

Offline Van Helsing (formerly Fio)

• For the greater good... of us all!
« Reply #43 on: December 2, 2003, 05:57:44 PM »
I'm sorry for your loss.

I had a cousin commit suicide. He was in the Vietnam war and became an alcoholic soon after it was over. He was on some medication at the time, which was supposed to help him sober up. The only problem was that if he did drink, then the medication would react and he'd halucinate. Usually about the war. He left us a note explaining everything and that we did everything we could.
I've considered it myself and, quite frankly, the only things that really stop me are my friends and family. I have a good idea just how much that would hurt them and, because of that, I just can't do it.

I don't exactly fall into any major religion, so how I feel about birth, life, and death, seem a little off the wall to most people. To me, death is only the beginning, it's like being born. We don't know what's outside the womb. But even in the womb, we can get an idea, we can hear the world outside, and the voice of our mothers and those who they are close to. This is like what we know about death, only whispers.
The Tau respect their Eldars.

What did the Farseer say to the Imperial Guard?
"Dance Puppets, DANCE!"

"Shooty armys
1. Tau- Duh"                 Yentz

Offline Sox'li

• Laughing in the face of Danger
« Reply #44 on: December 2, 2003, 11:41:10 PM »
i can understand that kind of problem but get this one:Okay, so a few months ago, my best friend started going out with this one girl. This girl had a friend. I began pretending to like them because he is my best bud, and thats usually what teenagers like me do. Well, its been a few months, and they have broken up after a long serries of rockyness (I lack better words). Well, now they both hate my best friend. And I start to talk to the girls. I give them the lowdown on my situation, saying that the only reason I like them was because of my friend. ( one of them is very unstable, and not easy to like. I cant say that I tried.). So anyway, one girl starts cussing me out, telling me all this bs. Eventually, Im getting threats from some guy from Good Charolette (dont ask).

Now, the unstable one wants to commit suicide because I told her the truth. This is completly wierd, especially since we weren't that close. What do you say to soemthing like this?

--edit-- If she does commit suicide, she will blame it on me and my friend, so dont think she has other problems (even though she does).
hmmm... I probably coulda worded that differently so i dont sound like such an ass...
« Last Edit: December 2, 2003, 11:46:26 PM by Burning Lance »
I am a monument to all your sins.

"Discovery is always a rape of the natural world. Always."
-Jurassic Park

Offline Valkor

• Might is Right
« Reply #45 on: December 3, 2003, 01:15:06 AM »
I only have one word for a girl who would commit suicide because somebody doesn't like her, even if she doesn't really mean it

More then a few teens are like this, and I only pray that in a fit of lunacy, they actually do it and purge the population of their genes.

Offline Phantasmagor

« Reply #46 on: December 3, 2003, 01:35:32 AM »
I don't think i would accuse them of attention prostitution(hehe) if they actually meant it, I think they would have some kind of mental disorder that doesn't come to mind right off, and calling them an attention whore would only push them further.
PS, thats seven or eight words depending on how you look at it, so  :P.

Offline FireDaemon

• Hell yeah I'm a llama!
« Reply #47 on: December 3, 2003, 02:17:14 AM »
Suicide is stupid, and you have to be a coward to do it. You're saying that you're not brave enough to face the day to day "struggle" that in most cases really only needs to be put into perspective. People commit suicide cause to them there isn't another way out, which is dumb cause unless your terminally ill then there's got to be a way out.

Offline kharn012000

• The world is flat I tell you
  • I pick fights with fighting_scars!
« Reply #48 on: December 3, 2003, 04:56:16 AM »
The late Samantha-Marie Prince (Archon Kijaye)

Archon Vijayle's dead! I knew she was sick, and left the boards, but I didn't know she was dead...

Offline Faithruir

• I'm suposed to say the Avatar isn't my own work.
« Reply #49 on: December 3, 2003, 05:04:53 AM »
Suicide is stupid, and you have to be a coward to do it. You're saying that you're not brave enough to face the day to day "struggle" that in most cases really only needs to be put into perspective. People commit suicide cause to them there isn't another way out, which is dumb cause unless your terminally ill then there's got to be a way out.

Suicide is not stupid. It is not just a case of "putting things into perspective", FireDaemon. For the seriously depressed, perspective means very little. How can we judge them?

My Uncle was no coward, but he committed suicide. I never knew him, but he wasn't exactly snowed under with problems - from my way of seeing things - but who are we to guess the minds of the suicidal?

Depression, regardless of the cause, is like a well from which you cannot see out, in which very few can possibly communicate with you. How can they know what you're going through? They aren't you!

And it is a cycle of self-hate.

It is not stupid to want to die. Suicide is the logical conclusion, but most do not have the courage to see it through. Their lives are their lives, and who are we to say that they do not know what is best for them?
Like Harry Potter? Like writing? Why not check out http://entrhogwarts.suddenlaunch2.com/index.cgi?

Offline Quentith

• What else would you expect?
« Reply #50 on: December 3, 2003, 09:13:31 PM »
The late Samantha-Marie Prince (Archon Kijaye)

Archon Vijayle's dead! I knew she was sick, and left the boards, but I didn't know she was dead...

How'd she end up dead? You sure he doesn't mean late as in left the boards?
The real reason to collect Dark Eldar - if they fall on the floor the sharp bits hurt when your opponent steps on them

Offline Sox'li

• Laughing in the face of Danger
« Reply #51 on: December 3, 2003, 09:19:22 PM »
I figured she should get a say in this. In her last will and testiment to the world she wrote out every fine detail of what was to be done with her after she had died, in thoughts and physically. There was no doubt, no question about her methodical manner as she paved the way for her own destruction. Now you know from somebody who you can't argue with what suicide is all about.

I'd say shes dead :'( :'( :'( :'( I didnt know her well, but she seemed cool...
I am a monument to all your sins.

"Discovery is always a rape of the natural world. Always."
-Jurassic Park

Offline FireDaemon

• Hell yeah I'm a llama!
« Reply #52 on: December 3, 2003, 09:38:38 PM »
Suicide is not stupid. It is not just a case of "putting things into perspective", FireDaemon. For the seriously depressed, perspective means very little. How can we judge them?
While perspective means little to them (which I understand) you've still got to be stupid enough to end your life. You're not just taking away literally everything you have, but you're putting everyone who cares about you through hell too.

My Uncle was no coward, but he committed suicide. I never knew him, but he wasn't exactly snowed under with problems - from my way of seeing things - but who are we to guess the minds of the suicidal?
If you never knew him how exactly to you know that he wasn't a coward? If he died before you heard anything about him, nobody ever talks bad about the dead. And you don't think that this might make a little bias for you.

It is not stupid to want to die. Suicide is the logical conclusion, but most do not have the courage to see it through. Their lives are their lives, and who are we to say that they do not know what is best for them?
It's not stupid to want to die, but you can make a logical decision without killing yourself, I don't know, get a counsiler, get on prozac, there's another way. Suicide just makes it hard for everyone else too.

Offline Faithruir

• I'm suposed to say the Avatar isn't my own work.
« Reply #53 on: December 4, 2003, 08:49:24 AM »
You're not just taking away literally everything you have, but you're putting everyone who cares about you through hell too.

Try not to think of it in terms of intelligence, FireDaemon. Most suicidal people do think about those they will affect by killing themselves, and that makes them even more depressed. It's awkward to explain if you haven't felt that way yourself.

If you never knew him how exactly do you know that he wasn't a coward?

Well I can't know for certain, but as he served and risked his life in the army, you tend to think of that as being brave (although I wish we'd all stop gleefully signing up...). And my mother constantly insults her dead parents (I haven't heard a single good word said about them), so it's not as if my family is one that is afraid to ascertain the truth.

It's not stupid to want to die, but you can make a logical decision without killing yourself, I don't know, get a counsiler, get on prozac, there's another way. Suicide just makes it hard for everyone else too.

All too true.
Like Harry Potter? Like writing? Why not check out http://entrhogwarts.suddenlaunch2.com/index.cgi?

Offline Wiggus

• Happiness is Mandatory
  • Ancient
  • For the greater good!!!!!
« Reply #54 on: December 4, 2003, 02:05:02 PM »
surely much in the same why that you dont stay together with a partner for teh kids you shouldnt hang around for those that love you. some people truely have nothing left to live for especially after life kicks them again and again. Firedaemon i think you find it hard to understand becuase you have either never truely been down or have had friends and family to help throught the tough times. but rememebr not everyone had those.
My name is Steven Wilson
My friends call me Wiggy
My enemies call me Mr Wilson
You may call me Sir!
'Who Dares Wins'
'Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6'
'I love being a writer; I just dont like the paper work'
'Don't make me angry, you wont like it when im angry'

Offline Quentith

• What else would you expect?
« Reply #55 on: December 4, 2003, 09:37:28 PM »
I figured she should get a say in this. In her last will and testiment to the world she wrote out every fine detail of what was to be done with her after she had died, in thoughts and physically. There was no doubt, no question about her methodical manner as she paved the way for her own destruction. Now you know from somebody who you can't argue with what suicide is all about.

I'd say shes dead :'( :'( :'( :'( I didnt know her well, but she seemed cool...

well that is really too bad... :'(
The real reason to collect Dark Eldar - if they fall on the floor the sharp bits hurt when your opponent steps on them

Offline laun mo R

• Shop smart Shop S-mart
« Reply #56 on: December 5, 2003, 03:12:04 AM »
Admiral Brea,
With all repect due please, When did this happen?
I enjoyed the norn queen's comments and wish this to be another internet hoax. . .    Please Be a hoax. :'(

Is Teen Suicide the Peak of negative attention?
That horrible time when the pendulum swings from cute tot to budding adult.

One day your told to do your trick & sing your song for company.  The next it "be seen & not heard".

As to the burden, . . .   Army ants build bridges out of themselves. 
2X2L this is ZQ  OVER
IS there anyone on the air. . .
. . . anyone?. . . Anyone?

Offline Admiral Brea

• People say I look like Liam Neeson?!
« Reply #57 on: December 5, 2003, 01:39:19 PM »
She died on the 15th of october from an overdose of travel sickness tablets, asprins, and paracetamol. She's in Tunstall cemetary, stoke-on-trent.
"Out of ammo, out of food, out of water, out of luck, out of range of communication, out of time, out of options, out in the open, out of our neith'ka minds."
Archon Kijayle - EO

"I didn't give up smoking, I didn't give up drinking, and I didn't give up adultery, so you can forget me giving up this planet to those damn Tyranids!"
Admiral Brea - 40K.ca

"When you're going through hell, keep going!"
Faye - Exterminatus.net

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
« Reply #58 on: December 5, 2003, 04:55:50 PM »
Stoke-On-Trent? i thought she lived in germany, or was that just in her childhood?

none the  less, i am one of those who is very sad at her passing. though i never knew her very well she was a valid and much loved member of the community, i only hope forhr sake there truly is a god and she went to a better place (i myself am atheistic though i believe i'd heard she is christian)

i dont believe there are valid purposes in suicide. maybe it's because i've never come close. i think suicide is not cowardly. it is an explanation. the cause of world war one was not europes cowardice but their want to make things better for others and themselves. however this can backfire.
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline Reaver's Blade

• They're watching you....
    • BLITZ site
« Reply #59 on: December 5, 2003, 10:20:28 PM »
I'm living proof that you can get through problems, it's never easy and a lot of the time you will think that you'd have been better off killing yourself; but when you finally claw your way out of the hole you'll look back and think how f*cking stupid the whole idea waas.

I agree totally.
I don't think it's cowardly, I think of it as a person with their back to the wall and no other way out.  I also believe taking your own life is amazingly brave.  The only time I ever considered it, I went upstairs, found my dad's shaving razor, and looked at it for a minute.  That thing is really, really sharp.  I cannot, just cannot, imagine placing that to my jugular and pushing til I've lost my strength.  I physically, mentally, and emotionally could not do it.  If you can go through with it, I pity you for the series of events that place you in the position of facing that choice, but I also admire you for bravery.
Selfish, depends how you define it.  When you consider suicide, and you look at the glint of steel against your wrist, there is no one in the world you are thinking about more than yourself.  The suffering and emotional trauma that lead to that point make it that way, that's just how it is.  It might be selfish, because you are willing to put your own peace of mind (or lack thereof, whatever) ahead of your family and friend's pleas, but that's all circumstance also.  If you're considering suicide, you are either childish and don't understand the consequences, or life has been so bad that you are willing to face utter oblivion rather than keep on living.

I have never known anyone to attempt it, though I'm sure everyone has considered it at one point or another.  It's simply something that everyone has to come face to face with sometime in their lives.

I understand Kijayle/Samantha and believe most of what she says, except for one point, which arises from a difference of circumstances.  Contrary to the law of averages, life has been pretty good to me so far.  Knowing nothing of her life other than what I have gleaned from her and Admiral Brea's posts, it might not have been so good to her.  But if death is inevitable, I may as well get something out of life first.  I can understand that maybe she wasn't getting anything out of life.
I feel your pain all that have lost someone,
and I tell you to keep at it anyone considering it,
and I say congrats to anyone who has considered it and already made it past that.

Jake
Some people are like slinkies.  No real point to them, but it's a good laugh watching them fall down the stairs.