News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Crusuade!  (Read 4600 times)

Offline AiR

• Ancient
  • Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it.
The Crusuade!
« on: July 12, 2002, 02:49:14 PM »
Who plays the Black Templars, emperor's finest! Share your experiences here. I've recently played against Necrons and I challenged his lord! The Champion was down to 1 wound when he had cleansed the lord.   That's my biggest kill for my emperor's champion so far.
Primar edict means only one thing, and everything: cut. Once committed to fight, cut. Everything else is secondary. Cut. That is your duty, your purpose, your hunger. There is no rule more important, no commitment that over rides that one. Cut"

Offline Dangonblane

• Master of Sanctity
  • Ancient
  • Templar since '98
Re:The Crusuade!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2002, 03:02:19 PM »
WOO WOO!

Stalwart BT player since the beginning of 3rd Edition (I just liked the colour scheme).

Best experience has to be the 3-way ork scenario that appeared in WD about 18 months ago.  Only we had BT, Alaitoc and a Choas army.

My commander was my chaplain, who won the initiative, slaughered the Chaos Warlord with his 6 attacks, then swept into the Farseer killing him in the 3rd turn (dang inunverable saves).  Survived until the end of the 5th turn where two lascannons from the Choas player blew him away.  But still, by that time he'd single handedly gained me 500 VPs.   ;D

Oh, and AiR did you check out my mini's online in that email I sent ya?

Offline AiR

• Ancient
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2002, 04:09:12 PM »
They are very impressive! Do you find the Typhoon land speeder effective? It's only 25 more points compared to the original land speeder but having 2 extra missile launchers is pretty good. Is it worth the points or should i just take the 50 points landspeeder?

Emperor's Champion is one of the reasons why i play black templars. I usually take the champ and a chap or champ and a high marshal. Marshal's pricey but he's a really tough guy. Do you find our dreadnaught effective? He's really slow, too slow for my army. I like having all my guys in tanks and assault guys. Dreadnaught just can't do it, he moves 6! His strength 10 is pretty impressive against other enemy tanks.

Primar edict means only one thing, and everything: cut. Once committed to fight, cut. Everything else is secondary. Cut. That is your duty, your purpose, your hunger. There is no rule more important, no commitment that over rides that one. Cut"

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2002, 04:49:52 PM »
I have many bloody Black Templar body parts that cover the bases of my mighty Khorne champions, especially my DreadLord Sanguinor, as his metal claws have crushed many of the broken black armored whores!

Offline AiR

• Ancient
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2002, 06:23:18 PM »
 ::) C'mon can't we all just get along? Dreadlords? I have a lot of their heads on the bases of my marines. Why do chaos marines look like they're dead? They're diseased, infected nasty looking. Sometimes races can tell somebody's personality. I guess you like be nasty looking. Just remember who won the fight, horus or the Emperor? Those Black armored men can crush you any day!

Offline Jehenna

• Almost Purple
  • Ancient
  • 'baka' - Ruri Hoshino of the Nadesico
    • Eldaronline
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2002, 07:45:37 PM »
who won the war? neither - the state of struggle between chaos filth and pathetic humans continues.
you are too wrapped up in such a small victory to see the larger picture, that every day you lose thousands of lives, and to a cause so misguided it will bring about your destruction.

only fortunate perhaps that human lives are so worthless.

Offline AiR

• Ancient
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2002, 08:37:43 PM »
Well Jehenna how did most of the Eldar fall again? They made slaanesh? Eldar is not much better. Sure we may lose a thousand lives per day but you lost most of your race. You guys were to wrapped up to see how dumb you guys were. Killing for pleasure please Jehenna don't tell me about my destruction when it already have happened to you.

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2002, 10:48:17 PM »
DreadLord = a fallen Chaos Lord who I resurrected through the magic of VDR. =) Hehe.

Offline Dangonblane

• Master of Sanctity
  • Ancient
  • Templar since '98
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2002, 05:04:07 AM »
Staying on topic....

They are very impressive! Do you find the Typhoon land speeder effective? It's only 25 more points compared to the original land speeder but having 2 extra missile launchers is pretty good. Is it worth the points or should i just take the 50 points landspeeder?

Emperor's Champion is one of the reasons why i play black templars. I usually take the champ and a chap or champ and a high marshal. Marshal's pricey but he's a really tough guy. Do you find our dreadnaught effective? He's really slow, too slow for my army. I like having all my guys in tanks and assault guys. Dreadnaught just can't do it, he moves 6! His strength 10 is pretty impressive against other enemy tanks.

I like the Typhoon becuase it's nimble enough to redeploy mid-game, plus it's 48" range comes in handy for coving fire.  However you must remember that a Typhoons missile launcers are twin-linked, and that they're not standard missiles (i.e. no Krak) so the Typhoon is most defiantely an infantry hunter.

Dreadnaughts are tricky.  I tend to play against Chaos a lot so I don't take them (anymore) as they're Lascannon fodder.  But again it's what you want to do - give a Dread twin-Lascannons and the Missile Launcher and you've got more firepower than a Typhoon (for example) but you lose the mobility (and you double the cost).  The other real option - an assault based one suffers from its speed (as you've said), but if you really want a dread try giving it a CCW with Heavy Flamer and Twin-linked Autocannons (curtosy of Forge World).  That way it has some ranged firepower to play with while it moves up the board into assault range, but you don't get side-tracked into using it as fire support (you'd probably do this if you gave it Lascannons over Autocannons).

Dreadnaught are good in one particular aspect though - CITYFIGHT!  In my Cityfight army I have both a Dread with CCW, Heavy Flamer and Assault Cannon and a Vindicator (totally rules).  In the close confines their range problems suddenly disappear, and the dread excels in assault - especially if he's backed up with a BT squad.

Callidus

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2002, 12:49:44 AM »
Hve you ever thought about drop poding you Dread in? This was done to me once, and boy was I caught off gaurd! This thing just comes crashing to the graund, right in the middle of my army, 4 kraks fire off that kills my NECRON LORN in ONE TURN. THEN the Dread gets out. *sheesh* It held up my army long enough for the rest of the force to get there, and the Necrons fall down, go boom, and never get back up again. ;D

Offline Dangonblane

• Master of Sanctity
  • Ancient
  • Templar since '98
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2002, 06:11:14 AM »
Problem is I'm not rich enough to afford a Drop Pod, and my modelling skills kinda suck.  But it's certainly something I hadn't though of before  : :o

Callidus

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2002, 01:30:12 PM »
If your just playing with friends, I'm sure they'd allow you to say, "Ok, I have a drop pod, just no model to represent it. Could I try it out for one game?" They would probably let you. Just smack your Dreaddown where you would put the drop pod, instead, and use the normal rules.
Just minus the drop pod model.

Offline Kal

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2002, 05:45:56 PM »
I play salamanders and have two dreadnoughts in my army - their about to go under the knife again and replace the standard kits weapons with Multi-Meltas and Plasma Cannons.

Anyway, I played a game against an armoured company - a kill feast and the guy said we could use Deep Strike. I then hit on the idea of using the special rule at the front of the SM codex and declared that all of my Army was Deep Striking. This really screwed him up when both deradnoughts landed within twelve inches of his Leman Russes (he did have 4!!). They proceeded to destory these with ease and just moved through his whole force really, the destoryed tanks making prefect cover for them.

As an aside, he didn't take any infantry support but just loaded up on armoured vehicles - 4 LR - 3 standard, 1 Exterminator, 1 Basalisk, 1 Armoured fist squad and a Sentinel!!

Kal

Offline Scars

• Warning: He bites
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Spooky! Shocking!
    • Progressive Labour Party
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2002, 03:58:27 AM »
I have killed a grand total of 5 emperors champions. He is a total wimp, I mean he challanged my nurgle aspiring champion and decided to use both hands. I hacked him down with my plauge sword.
'The genius of you Americans is that you never make clear-cut stupid moves, only complicated stupid
moves'
- Abd al-Nasir
Progressive Labour Party

Offline Dangonblane

• Master of Sanctity
  • Ancient
  • Templar since '98
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2002, 08:09:49 AM »

I have killed a grand total of 5 emperors champions. He is a total wimp, I mean he challanged my nurgle aspiring champion and decided to use both hands. I hacked him down with my plauge sword.

Whoever was the BT player chose badly here.  He should of struck at normal initiative with the +1S.  Then he would of struck before your Aspiring Champion and wounded him on a normal 4+, with no save allowed.  Why he struck two-handed I'll never know...  :-\

Offline Scars

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Spooky! Shocking!
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2002, 08:41:46 AM »
he used it like that becasue this was pre-death guard days. The aspiring champion had T6.
'The genius of you Americans is that you never make clear-cut stupid moves, only complicated stupid
moves'
- Abd al-Nasir
Progressive Labour Party

Offline Dangonblane

• Master of Sanctity
  • Ancient
  • Templar since '98
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2002, 10:19:29 AM »
How did the champion manage to get T6 ???

Offline Scars

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Spooky! Shocking!
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2002, 08:21:36 PM »
plauge marine: T5
upgraded to aspiring champion and given a mark of nurgle: T6

plus plauge sword: T6 killing machine!
moves'
- Abd al-Nasir
Progressive Labour Party

Offline True Emperor

• Behold The True Emperor of Man
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2002, 08:53:05 PM »
Actually the best one I ever saw was my friend decided to challenge an everyday Khorne Berzerker and had his butt handed to him because he could only make a 4+ save(I love World Eaters).

On topic though I usally use regular gravy land speeders because they can float around in a squad minimizing the weapon destroyed results.

Offline Dangonblane

• Master of Sanctity
  • Ancient
  • Templar since '98
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2002, 03:21:55 AM »

plauge marine: T5
upgraded to aspiring champion and given a mark of nurgle: T6

Ahhh, I forgot that Aspiring Champions can get the marks... (kinda stupid since my main opponent always takes marks of Chaos Undivided)  :D