News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Jumping back in Blood Angels 500pts  (Read 1950 times)

Offline Blood0sanguinius

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Jumping back in Blood Angels 500pts
« on: February 23, 2016, 11:28:44 PM »
Hey everyone. I'm jumping back into 40k after taking some time away. My local store is starting an escalation league and I joined up. I'm playing my favorite army, blood angels. First off I know this will be an uphill battle as they are not the top tier army. But I already have a lot of models and I don't want to go broke on a new army. Also, I'm using this as motivation to finally have a fully painted force. Anyway, the first round is 500 points and we have to use one troops choice. We're allowed to take an additional 1 choice from hq, troops, elite, fast, and heavy. When I decided I wanted to use blood angels I told myself I wanted to play lists that showcased the army, as well as be effective and win games. I'm the only guy out of about 25 that is playing blood angels and I don't want people to know me as just the "guy with the red space marines". So for 500 points this is what I've got.

Hq
Librarian with force sword

Troops
10 man tactical squad drop pod

Fast
5 man assault squad 1 melta gun drop pod

Elite
Furioso dreadnought frag cannon heavy flamer drop pod

That's 500. I know I'll be facing Eldar and that did influence some of what I chose.
The librarian will go with the assault marines. Turn 1, I drop the assault squad and the dreadnought. I realize this is a low model count to have on the field, but I want to see the look on my opponents face when I drop that dreadnought behind his line. My idea is to force these two units down my opponents throat and then drop the tactical squad in. It splits into 2 units and these guys secure objectives for me. For psychic powers, I figured I'd roll on the biomancy table.

Please tell me what you think of this list as its my first one I've put together in over a year. If you think I'd get board wiped please tell me how I can improve my list. My one concern I have is that I don't have many models on the field. Do you agree?

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Jumping back in Blood Angels 500pts
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 01:10:27 PM »
Looks like a good start to me. Furioso with the Frag Cannon in a drop pod is a classic choice and does great work earning first blood.

Librarians are good for blood angels. Biomancy and Sanguinary power charts are both quite nice.

Tactical squad and Assault squad in pods are also great. I'd make sure that the assault squad has two meltaguns (when you have the points in larger games) and the Tactical squads in blood Angels are great with meltaguns and heavy flamers (as only Blood Angels get heavy flamers!)

From there, Do what you want. Combined arms detachments are nice, so your tactical squads and their drop pods are objective secured. The Codex detachment is also nice, granting you a bonus to initiative on the charge (which is nice with furious charge).

I would make sure if you want more pods, to take an odd number of them, but I wouldn't take more then five (that's a bit much I think).

While building your army, just try to think of how you'll deal with possible threats from other armies. How will you deal with super-fast assault armies? Shooty armies? Lots of tanks or 2+ saves? Hordes?

Adding in units with unusual deployment is helpful too. Drop pods are great for that. Infiltrate and outflank can also be useful.

You could be easily outnumbered, but you'll have great ability to apply pressure where yo want and withy Drop pods, put all your army into only part of your opponents.

If it was me, I would add in a second Tactical squad and a tri-las pred or stormraven (to make the army legal and then add anti-tank) That'll leave either 70-100pts to add what your want (upgrades, attack bikes.. whatever).

Here is how I would expand your army.

1000pts

Librarian (stock) 65

Tactical Squad 195
x10, meltagun, heavy flamer, drop pod

Tactical Squad 195
x10, meltagun, heavy flamer, drop pod

Assault Squad
x5, x2 meltagun, drop pod

Storm Raven- 200pts
Lascannon, Meltagun

935pts total (leaving you 65pts to play with

Nothing starts on the table Turn 1 (which is cool!)

Librarian deploys with the assault squad.

Ideally, Dread and either assault squad, or one tactical squad comes in Turn 1 (to either flame a few things, or flame one thing and pod a tank). Storm raven gives you good anti-tank and anti-flier. Last points can be put into upgrading mastery level on librarian and some random upgrades on sgts. or buy a fifth empty pod as a fast attack slot, so three pods can come in turn 1.

For 1500pts, I would add the fifth pod for sure and some sort of assault element. Death Company or Sanguinary Guard. I would also add a Sanguinary Priest to give Feel No Pain and +1 WS to the assault unit (and jump pack). Then for extra points, it doesn't really matter. Nothing is really terrible in the codex.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 06:22:29 PM »
My observation is that the only "good" thing BA's have going for them is their Elite Jump Pack troops. Particularly Death Company and Sanguinary Guard + Priest.

Pod lists are far from BA's strong suit. Both Salamanders and White Scars do it substantially better.

My suggestion would be something along the lines of Tacticals in a Rhino / Razorback, SG + SP and maybe a Fast Vindi... I've misplaced my codex, so I'm not sure of the exact points any more. Those units exploit BA's very limited benefits.

Just a thought. Use the Vindi as a shield for your Rhino, and use both to shield the advance of your SG.

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 01:08:50 AM »
I love playing my blood angels but they are a very weak army.  Overall there are only a few builds you can make that will be effective.

1. Dante Bomb - Sanguinary guard, Dante, and a Sanguinary priest with a jump pack. They high low armor, feel no pain, and Dante is a rough guy to face in CC.
2. Assault from Deepstrike - there is a formation of 3 ravens and 3 tactical squads that let you deep strike when you're within 2 of them.  Kind of a gimmicky list.  Not see as often.
3. Marine horde - lots of power armor moving around in fast rhinos or in drop pods.  This can be done using formations such a Strike Force Mortalis, Angels Sanguine Wing, or a CAD/Baal strike force. Overwhelm them with numbers and resiliency. Use your advantages (flamers, furious charge, gunslingers). This is outdone by current battle companies.
4. Dreadnought horde - Furiosos in drop pods with their nasty templates make a nice anvil to break your opponents on. You'll need shooty or assault elements to be your hammer. Take a baal strike force and you can have 4 with armor that krak grenades can't harm.

No matter what route you go realize that you're playing a weaker army and you will have to go the best units of the codex if you want to win.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 08:55:46 AM »
For your first 500pts you need more gear rather than some pansy elf magic, something like:

Troops
10 man Tactical Squad
Sergeant w/ 2 Hand Flamers
Plasmagun
Heavy Flamer
Rhino

Fast
5 man Assault Squad
Sergeant w/ Combi-Melta & Bolt Pistol (if that's still allowed)
1 Meltagun
Jump Packs

Elite
Furioso Dreadnought
Frag Cannon & Heavy Flamer
Drop Pod

Alternatively:
Troops
10 man Tactical Squad
Sergeant w/ Hand Flamer & Bolt Pistol
Plasmagun
Heavy Flamer