News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Thoughts of new Eldar models as Allies for DE  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Beastmaster

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thoughts of new Eldar models as Allies for DE
« on: May 29, 2013, 07:22:45 PM »
Do people have any thoughts on the new Eldar models as far as DE allies are concerned?  I guess we will need to wait and see the actual stats when the new codex comes out but just wanted to see if any of the dark kin were looking at those models with googly eyes!

edit- I would like this post to focus on the aspect of these models as effective Allies only, nothing more
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 07:24:26 PM by Beastmaster »

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
Re: Thoughts of new Eldar models as Allies for DE
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 08:42:40 PM »
From a fluff perspective, I don't see eldar using wraithbone constructs as their allies.  Though you never know with the dark kin.

Personally, I have pre-ordered the new farseer, spiritseer, a fighter (I will probably use the fear fighter), and a guardian squad.  I really like the look of the new wraithguard and even the huge monstrosity that is the wraithknight I just don't see them, from an aestethics point of view, as flowing well with the DE.

Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Beastmaster

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 03:18:15 PM »
I agree that the knight doesn't fit the fluff but my eyes see the potential for really cool coven type conversion!!  Use the extra bits from the talos/cronos and go to town.  I think it would be possible in a coven list to see something like that.  Maybe they were experimenting on the knight or something?  Who knows.

Offline gauntsfinest

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 05:11:06 PM »
I immediately saw a conversion in my mind when looking at the wraithknight. I think it could look awesome if the effort, using talos, raider and other pointy bits.
Need to see how on earth it would fit into my urien led army though :/... Need a while to ponder!

Offline Beastmaster

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: June 6, 2013, 06:20:14 PM »
Just to add to this thread, have any of the dark kin read through the new Eldar codex?  I ask because I have not gotten my hands on one yet and am curious is there is anything interesting in there from an Eldar Allies perspective?  Please share if you see anything cool!!

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
« Reply #5 on: June 6, 2013, 09:28:03 PM »
I've got the book and I'm working on my Eldar allies right now. 

Big things that will effect what people were taking from 5th: Eldrar isn't worth the points like he once was.  Runes of warding now effect deny the witch and aren't a huge bubble effect. Jetbikes are cheaper and are a much better unit.  Farseers psychic powers are all random but they can be cast on DE units the same as eldar units. A popular tactic will be to take guide and prescience and make for some TL goodness. 

I can also see people taking a spiritseer (slightly weaker farseer that makes wraithguard troops) being taking with a 5 or 10 man unit of wraithguard/blades. Perhaps not the fluffiest.

I'm going to paint my in the scheme of Altansar, the craft that came out of the eye of terror during the 13th black crusade. Painting them pink shoud be interesting.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 12:31:04 PM »
It's hardly new, but I reckon the best synergy is still offered by a Farseer on Jetbike with some Guardian Jetbikes as your mandatory HQ/Troop.  After that, I suppose it depends what you like.

It's interesting that in the new Codex: Eldar, the Shadowseer's veil of tears has gone back to it's old game mechanic (affecting spotting distance), although it's a psychic power, so you have to take a test to use it.  I much prefer the way it works according to our faq, but I guess it's only a matter of time before GW change that to bring both listings into line.

From a fluff perspective, I don't see eldar using wraithbone constructs as their allies.  Though you never know with the dark kin.
Although there is a precedent for it - p.23 of our codex, "An Unexpected Ally".  That's painted very much as a one-off, though.

From a fluff point of view, I also can't really see Wraith constructs fighting alongside the Dark Kin on a regular basis, which is a shame, as the fear-inducing wraithfighter fits really well with the feel of DE.  I would be inclined to field one anyway, but just claim that  the morale effects are some creation of the Haemonculi, rather than a psychic thing ... or maybe it doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:48:27 PM by Plastikente »