News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My Competitive 2500 list!  (Read 1057 times)

Offline LordofMuck

My Competitive 2500 list!
« on: July 8, 2009, 06:19:29 AM »
HQ
Eldrad (210)
Yriel (155)

10 Warlocks (451)
- 2 Enhance, 2 Embolden, 1 Destructor, 2 Spears
- Serpent w/ TL Bright Lance, Spirit Stones

TROOPS

10 Storm Guardians w/ 2 Flamers, Warlock w/ Destructor (272)

10 Storm Guardians w/ 2 Flamers, Warlock w/ Destructor (272)

5 Dire Avengers (60)

ELITE
8 Fire Dragons, Exarch w/ DBF, Crack Shot (290)

8 Fire Dragons, Exarch w/ DBF, Crack Shot (290)

HEAVY
Falcon w/ EML, Holo-Field, Spirit Stones (180)
Fire Prism w/ Holo-Field, Spirit Stones (160)
Fire Prism w/ Holo-Field, Spirit Stones (160)

Total: 2500 pts

So its 8  skimmers, 5 TL Bright Lances, 3 scoring units.

Options im considering:
-Losing BL from the Council Serpent to gain 3 destructors + 1 embolden for the council (probably a good idea, though i also very much like to ability for the entire army to keep at arms length and deliver AT shooting)
- Other ideas?
« Last Edit: July 8, 2009, 06:23:40 AM by LordofMuck »

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
Re: My Competitive 2500 list!
« Reply #1 on: July 8, 2009, 06:40:04 AM »
Good list. It's close to a set up I was choosing before changing my second dragon unit to scorpions. There are going to be soo many Ork players at my event that I thought it best to give my self more chance to table them (ironically in CC).

Keep the BL - you'll likely see lots of armour anyways. My mech list makes it's living early on by pounding the enemy at range. Every gun helps.

Lazarus.
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline 4084595657

• Grot
« Reply #2 on: July 8, 2009, 06:57:40 AM »
How do you use your storm guardians? its just a question, i've never had much sucess with them :) So any help would be lovely :D

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #3 on: July 8, 2009, 07:35:27 AM »
In most successfull mech lists their job is to stay in the tank and drink & play cards. Staying alive to score is usually more important than anything they are likely to achieve on the battlefield.

There are times when they do get out but the Moon has usually aligned with Uranus.

Lazarus.
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline 4084595657

• Grot
« Reply #4 on: July 8, 2009, 08:46:28 AM »
In most successfull mech lists their job is to stay in the tank and drink & play cards. Staying alive to score is usually more important than anything they are likely to achieve on the battlefield.

There are times when they do get out but the Moon has usually aligned with Uranus.

So why are they twinked up? Just incase the serpent gets blown up?

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: July 8, 2009, 09:20:07 AM »
In some cases (like my list) there isn't much else to do with the points. Also, as I said before - they do sometimes get out. When you do get out you usually want to make it count.

Lazarus.

Offline LordofMuck

« Reply #6 on: July 8, 2009, 09:34:08 AM »
Well i couldnt answer that any better, Lazarus. I agree.
Yes it looks like your 'Ard Boyz list before/without the scorps. And, well, in fact it pretty much IS. It is based on your 1850pts base, that i wanna make my own base as well (also for 2K battles). Only my base is gonna be two 2xflamer storm squads (with or without warlocks depending on pts limit). Almost only difference.

Yeah im also considering the scorpions instead. But at least i got alot of flamers+heavy flamers that can actually do good damage on doomed mobz.

And yeah, i couldnt really do MUCH with the extra 70pts from the 2 warlocks and besides they add quite a punch to the flamer squads.

The way i have found to USE them (other than staying inside that is) is really for triple-flaming a bunched up enemy after tank shocking that  squad or after is has assaulted a skimmer of mine.
Both ways the enemy unit will get in a very good 'template-me'-formation, that can ensure A LOT of hits.
When the squad is also doomed the results can be awesome.
Often in the past i have combined the shooting from 1 (or 2) stormie squads with one dragon unit or the prisms. That usually leaves no survivors.

As a side note, i have come to prefer the stormies over avengers, although avengers  has a lot better range. But the problem is that the avengers will most often get re-killed if they start range shooting something. The key to success with the storm guardians (and anvengers too imo) is to use them against isolated enemies and preferably also bunched up enemies.
And this I simply think the stormies does better.

And also the stormies have a witchblade in their squad which DOES add a possible threat vs a vehicle or a dread in CC (where as avengers.......). This is important to me as i face A LOT of armour.
Im not saying that stormies are GREAT though...
« Last Edit: July 8, 2009, 05:57:09 PM by LordofMuck »

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #7 on: July 8, 2009, 04:49:05 PM »
The way i have found to USE them (other than staying inside that is) is really for triple-flaming a bunched up enemy after tank shocking that  squad or after is has assaulted a skimmer of mine.

Yep, that's your best case. However, many times I've found that it's not worth trading units. Sure, I can utterly kill that unit but then I expose my unit to all of the anti-infantry fire as it pretty much has nothing else to shoot at anyways. When you have less scoring units than the other guy does you have to guard them more carefully.

At least the 'Ard boyz has a set turn limit so hoping out on bottom of turn 6 is a guaranteed good thing with no retaliation.

Lazarus.

Offline LordofMuck

« Reply #8 on: July 8, 2009, 05:18:20 PM »
Yeah a set turn-limit really helps mech eldar - and also particularly benefits the "take second turn & go in reserve"-approach.

Offline lulu2009

• Eldar banshees skimpily approach a spacemarine...
« Reply #9 on: July 8, 2009, 11:02:14 PM »
Thanks for reviewing my list.

Well, you have the list I think Lazarus might consider too! However, I feel he is quite right about the 2nd "Holding" CC unit to support the rest of the army.

I am saying this because at 2.5K you cannot expect your killy HQ to be everywhere & swapping flamers for meltas & destructors for spears can substitue 1 dragon for a "Holding" CC unit.

HQ support the dragon & the AT storm guardians by the 2nd CC unit. That leaves 1 troop to hold the strategic objective and the DAVU for backup... :-\

My list earlier sent is what you called surgical strike teams. Only troops are deployed once the coast is clear. Skimmers are used to stay out of harm(if possible) or block attacks.
The spears & dragons are use to flush out game decisive objectives when needed.

BTW, what is your playing style going to be with this list?