News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Annihilation Barges vs. Doomsday Arks  (Read 4192 times)

Offline Galef

Annihilation Barges vs. Doomsday Arks
« on: November 26, 2011, 04:34:25 AM »
I was wondering what you guys thought about these two.

I am running an Overlord w/ Warscythe on Barge,
2 Harbringers of Destruction (1 Pulse) in 2 5-man Warrior units in Ghost Arks,
14 Warriors, 8 Immortals, 4 Wraiths w/ 3 whip-coil, 3 Spyders w/ Claw Array
& 2 units of 6 Scarabs.

I was planning on 2 Doomsday Arks to provide some long-range anti-everything.

However, I could free up enough points by switching them to Annihilation Barges to field something else.
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline Idaho

Re: Annihilation Barges vs. Doomsday Arks
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 05:44:54 AM »
I tried Doomsday Arks and wasn't set alight. Where as Imperial Guard can throw in their big template throwers and still afford other fire platforms to do the work such as shooting transports etc, our own points are a little more limited.

You can get two Annhilation Barges for the price of a single D. Ark (almost at least) so I would suggest a single D. Ark and a pair of A. Barges.

Offline Embolden

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 08:34:01 AM »
The Annihilation Barges have the reliability of hitting against infantry and will force your opponent to take many saves, which of course they will start to fail.

Doomsday Arks have the potential to be devastating, using large high strength low ap blasts to do the damage, so we're not comparing apples here.

I would say however that I would go down the route of Annihilation Barges because a single shot weapon for xpts is going down the fire prism route, which is not bad, but 5th ed is all about quantity over quality due to the prevalence of cover.

It's not bad to go down the route Idaho suggested in 2 lots of Annihilation Barges with a Doomsday Ark, gives you the best of both worlds.

Offline Galef

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 02:35:27 PM »
I would go 2 Barges & 1 Ark, however I am fielding 3 Spyders to bulk up my Scarabs and protect my Warriors.

Since I will have 2 Ghost Arks, I will have 2 Doomsday cannons.  I wonder if there is a way to magnetize an Annihilation Barge to field it as a Doomsday Ark if I changed my mind.
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline gangrel767

• "What we do in life, echoes in eternity" - Maximus
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 02:43:13 PM »
There is no need. The model is made to switch between an Annihilation Barge and a Command Barge. The pieces literally pop out and the instructions even tell you to not glue them in. I would however magnetize the Gauss cannon /Tesla Cannon on the bottom, unless you know which you're going to take, of course.
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity" - Maximus Meridius

Check out Veterans of the Long War Podcast -
https://www.facebook.com/VeteransOfTheLongWar

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
I believe Galef was talking about putting the Doomsday Cannon on the Barge (not the Ark) which I don't know about the size comparison. Looks like the Doomsday Cannon is a lot bigger then the Barge?

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 05:52:18 PM »
I've tried both. I think they have their own merits.

Don't forget, pivoting is free. Those Doom Arks have great range.  The Barges are great transport killers..... but that Ark just has fantastic range in an army burdened by 24".

Personally I believe you build an army around either concept. So I think both work really well, but like Nids, Necrons have a certain list-wide synergy that have to compliment your most expensive units.

I have a good list with the Doom arks that involves a C'tan. But the list would fail with Annihilation Barges IMO.

If you really wanted to force your opponent's hand, Doom Arks are an incredible 'honey pot'. If you want to be more aggressive, and pressure your opponent, Barges are naturally better.  So I guess playstyle comes into it too.

Guess I wasn't much help was I? lol

I think -nearly- everything in the dex works to some degree with the right supporting units. Don't get me wrong, we definitely have a few 'Pyrovores' in our 'dex, but not many. ;)

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 07:33:13 PM »
Annihilation barges accompany Overlords on command barges rather nicely. Doomsday Arks I think are better utilized in an army that makes use of Writhing Worldscape; if your opponent hides in cover he loses models to dangerous terrain tests, while if he stays in the open your guns knock him down with no armor saves.

I think that suffices as a good example of how army-wide synergies could get you more mileage out of your guns by mitigating their weak points.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 08:58:34 PM »
I'm not a fan of the dooms day ark as it must remain stationary to fire at full strength. Mobility is key if you are going mech.

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 11:39:18 PM »
Not really. There's a reason the term IG Parking Lot exists. And it's not like you can't add night scythes to up the mobility of your list. It depends on what the rest of your list needs more. Range is a form of mobility after all, since we're mostly talking about threat range in 40K. And it's not like a skimmer can't readily get access to the whole battle field in a single turn of positioning.

Offline Halfpast_Yellow

• ##Don't run! We are your friends!##
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 12:53:07 AM »
I think the unit has been costed with 6th ed in mid, like Destroyers. Less cover (vehicles only) would make it much more dangerous.

I'm not sure why it's not Ordinance 1 myself.

Offline Archibald_Buggerfingers

• I really need to get off Vassal...
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 07:43:11 PM »
The Doomsday ark given it's price and lack of mobility is pretty meh.

S9 blasts aren't really that great (model spacing, poor at killing tanks) and you can afford nearly 2 barges for 1 ark.

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 07:47:45 PM »
The reason it appears the Doomsday Ark is outside the typical Necron ideal of war should be fought from 24" away from your enemy. So we pay heavily for this.

All I can fathom is cover is getting neutered in 6th.