News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Plasma Command Squad  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Bishop_pl

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Plasma Command Squad
« on: June 4, 2012, 07:25:48 AM »
Hello,

As in topic, I was thinking about fielding command squad outfitted with plasma guns. Do you think it's a good idea (especially against Eldar, whom I play regularly?). Or is it just wasted points? I love the models and would like to include them in my army, but it would be nice if it worked well, and not only look good. Also - what kind of army list would it work with (what units)? Thanks for your help! :)

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
Re: Plasma Command Squad
« Reply #1 on: June 4, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
I think a plasma-gun Command squad is all style and no substance, as they're:
A) a solid close combat unit with the right kit
B) probably intented to be the unit you put your Captain or Chaplain with
C) already fairly expensive

I'd personally be more inclined to use combi-plasma Sternguard than a plasma-gun Command squad, but YMMV.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2012, 02:17:00 PM by Koval, Lord Governor Militant »

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
Re: Plasma Command Squad
« Reply #2 on: June 4, 2012, 02:32:29 PM »
Personally I would draw a comparison to this unit and one that I regularly use to give you some advice as you haven't received many responses to your thread.

5 Plague Marines with 2 plasma guns cost the same as 5 Command members and 2 plasma guns.

I've found my plague marine equivalent to be very effective firing out of the top of a rhino. I don't think you should give all members plasma, as that would give you no ablative wounds (apothecary, 4 plasmas, any casualty will really hurt you there). However giving the 2 non-plasma veterans flamers might be a decent idea.

This unit is indeed useful for popping transports and killing monstrous creatures, and is best used in a list with quite a few rhino transports/other vehicles. They really come in handy when you need to kill some terminators or other strong close combat unit.

The only thing I fear is that they may take away points from other parts of your list. If you don't want to invest a lot of points into a unit of sternguard, I think the command squad could be a fine alternative, but you should test it and see how it works.

My chaos lists are much different from space marines lists, however, so I can't really claim to have a lot of perspective here regarding how effective this choice will be.