News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000 points vs. IG  (Read 595 times)

Offline ShasO Kodel

1000 points vs. IG
« on: January 10, 2009, 09:12:38 PM »
This is my first list that has been made since the abomination that is 5th Edition. I've tried playing the way that I used to, and you can imagine how well that's gone. I'm hoping to get some advice, since IG troops and vehicles all have shield generators now.

HQ

Shas'El 108
AFP, Burst Cannon
M-tracker, Stimulant Injector, Drone controller w/ Shield Drone

I've ditched Drones for generators, since the system now is geared towards popping individual targets. Mid-range deep striker for JSJ. Also one of my 2 lone units that can get through their shielding. Stimulant injector to help prevent getting plinked by a lucky lasgun shot. Had to put the drone back to pay for the 'vre

Elites
XV8
Shas'vre 41
2x Flamers, Vector Controlled Thrusters
Extreme close range hit-and-runner. Either to hopefully deal with some of the light armor as well as tie up heavy weapons squads. Fight 2 rounds with a fair amount of included prayer, hop away, move on to the next target. Only other shielding proof unit. upgraded to a 'vre to make it 50-50 for the VCT's to work and to force IG to at least need to roll 4's

Troops

10 Fire warriors 115
'Ui, Bonding Knife

10 Fire warriors 115
'UI, Bonding Knife

10 Fire warriors 115
'Ui, Bonding Knife

FA

8 Pathfinders 96
D-Fish with Pods 85

Originally had 2 sets of 6, one to light up a unit for the Fire warriors (who'll hopefully be positioned to overlap fire), and the second to either light up the same unit, or to help the heavy support. Assuming half hit, 1 for a BS boost, and 2 to reduce the 4+ save to at least a 6+. Devilfishes to mobilize the firewarriors in latter half of the game for objectives and to assist with deep strikers.

Railhead with pods, target lock, and burst cannons 160
Slide close to use Cannons, while pieplating any stragglers out in the middle.

XV88 80
ASS

XV88 80
ASS
Backup to the hammerhead, which I expect will roll on and be potted within a turn.
=995
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 10:51:07 AM by ShasO Kodel »

Offline Perihelion

• In the 41st millenium, there is... LOVE AND PEACE!
Re: 1000 points vs. IG
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 09:54:25 PM »
The Shas'O is illegal. He has 3 weapons systems and a shield generator, which makes 4 hardpoints.

That's a lot of pathfinders, with not as many units to support. It could potentially work out, but you're pushing the ratio at best.

A moderate amount of anti-tank. You can get by if you know your enemy won't be fielding lots of tanks. I still say less pathfinders and more shooty gits.

Also, the vectored retro-thruster on the XV8 is a waste. He needs to pass an initiative test now to escape combat. He'll probably die against a powerfist, or club down normal infantry a bit.
"The strength of your force may be calculated by multiplying its weight by its velocity. Strive always to maximize both and victory shall be yours."
-Commander Puretide, The Forty Second Meditation on the Way of the Warrior

Hell, get some personality and get something other than a Fireknife...

Offline Sayt

• The Devil you think you know.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 12:10:15 AM »
The Broadside is also illegal. It may only take one Support System, you've given it two, Shield Gen and ASS.

What I'd do, would be to drop the Sheild gen, giving you 20 points.  Then I'd try and rummage up the points for a trio of Stealthsuits, which I think, would do a much better better job of anti-GEQ then the XV8 you have.  This could be done by dropping a single fire warrior from each team, dropping the XV8 and the 88's sheild gen.

My two cents.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 12:11:29 AM by Sayt »

Offline Bonham63

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 12:44:24 AM »
According to your pathfinder description and function, I assume you are taking targeting array and multitracker and didn't list it? I see you are 47 points over a 1000 on the list and lack some tank busting goodness. If you want to use pathfinders, you prob don't need 2 squads. Pts would be better spent on troops and tank killing abilities.
Bonham1963,
Death to the False Emperor!!!

Offline ShasO Kodel

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 10:55:18 AM »
Reduced number of FW's per squad and removed one pathfinder group to add second broadside. Thanks for the help.

Then I'd try and rummage up the points for a trio of Stealthsuits, which I think, would do a much better better job of anti-GEQ then the XV8 you have.

You're forgetting their shielding.  I'm writing from a position that every model will have a 4++ save for the entire game, which is why I'm valuing anti-cover over number of bullets.

According to your pathfinder description and function, I assume you are taking targeting array and multitracker and didn't list it?

....What?