News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000 Pt Tau List  (Read 792 times)

Offline Wolf9

1000 Pt Tau List
« on: January 23, 2008, 06:49:19 PM »
Here is a 1000 point army list for tau I have put together. I have only played 40k a few times, so I don't know how well this list will do and would like some feedback.

HQ
Shas'el      100 pts
    Cyclic Ion Blaster
    Twin Linked Plasma Rifle
    Hard Wired MultiTrack

Elite
Stealth Suit x5    150 pts

Crisis Team x3     171 pts
     All members of the crisis team have Target Array.
    One member has Twin Linked Missile Pods, the second has TL Plasma Rifles, and the  last member has TL Fusion Blasters

Troop
Fire Warrior x10     110 pts
     Photon Grenades

Photon Grenades

Kroot x11     77 pts

Fast
Kroot Hounds x2     12 pts

Gun Drones x5     60 pts

Heavy
Hammerhead Gunship     175 pts
     Railgun
     Smart Missile System
     MultiTrack

Krootox     35

I don't know exactly how I am going to field this army. The last time I fielded my army was a 500 point tournament and I was just using what I had to work with. The kroot did a good job of taking down a Dreadnought in hand to hand. The next game they took out a unit of space wolfs. In yet another game my fire warriors did nothing in shooting against Blood Angels, but destroyed the unit in hand to hand. My gun drones have also destroyed a rhino. I only seem to have good luck when using unorthodox tactics, hence the unusual (at least compared to other lists) configuration I have.

Offline Rudkin

• Fio'ui Kais
  • Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: 1000 Pt Tau List
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 10:13:45 PM »
Some quick comments:
HQ
Shas'el      100 pts
    Cyclic Ion Blaster
    Twin Linked Plasma Rifle
    Hard Wired MultiTrack
Use a Targetting Array. It costs the same, and will be very useful for that CIB.

Elite
Bonding is good to have here. Note that it requires a Team Leader. Don't bother with a Shas'vre.

One member has Twin Linked Missile Pods, the second has TL Plasma Rifles, and the  last member has TL Fusion Blasters
Interesting.... Split this into two units: Plasma + Missile and Fusion alone. OR Plasma + Fusion and Missile alone. Because of the varying ranges/roles of these weapons, it's best to split them up slightly. Also, this way the unit can't get below 50%....

Also, I'd consider dropping the TAs. They're expensive, and you could get much more interesting things there (like flamers). Check out my signature (or look on the front page) for an article all about crisis suit configurations. You may find it useful.

Troop
     Photon Grenades

Photon Grenades
I would drop the grenades and get Shas'ui instead. The better leadership will be much better than the grenades ever will be.

Kroot x11     77 pts
I see you're using the old codex (or mis-read the new one). Hounds and Oxen are no longer separate FOC slots. You will want to get the new book.

Fast
See above. Hounds are fine, but I think I'd rather spend the points elsewhere....

Gun Drones x5     60 pts
Yay! I like drones...

Heavy
     Railgun
     Smart Missile System
     MultiTrack
Target Locks are useful. Decoy Launchers are invaluable. Remember that.

Krootox     35
See above. Oxen are okay, I guess... certainly not popular, though. I'd be interested to hear if you've had any luck with them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Get the new codex ("Tau Empire") and read it carefully, especially the Kroot section. There are some bits of wargear that you may find useful that you haven't checked out. Have fun with the list, though. It's good to see a fresh perspective.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 10:18:22 AM »
Your math on the Hammerhead is a bit off--you have a couple more points to play with.

Krootoxen are really not worth the points. They are poor shooting platforms that have the added problem of taking Infiltration away from your Kroot (which is the Kroot's primary advantage and crucial survival tool).

Offline Wolf9

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 03:26:34 PM »
Thank you Rudkin and Wyddr for the input. I have thought about taking out the krootox in favor of bringing something else. With the knowledge of the krootox taking away infiltration, I typicallly like to use the kroot for CC and never have good luck shooting with any of the kroot. Nobody I have played against has ever taken the kroot seriously when I send them up for CC whereas when I have infiltrated with them leaving the krootox out, the kroot get demolished. I now have a stealth team, so it is possible that I can safely remove the krootox.

HQ
Shas'el      100 pts
    Cyclic Ion Blaster
    Twin Linked Plasma Rifle
    Hard Wired MultiTrack
Use a Targetting Array. It costs the same, and will be very useful for that CIB.

Crisis Team x3     171 pts
Interesting.... Split this into two units: Plasma + Missile and Fusion alone. OR Plasma + Fusion and Missile alone. Because of the varying ranges/roles of these weapons, it's best to split them up slightly. Also, this way the unit can't get below 50%....

Also, I'd consider dropping the TAs. They're expensive, and you could get much more interesting things there (like flamers). Check out my signature (or look on the front page) for an article all about crisis suit configurations. You may find it useful.

Heavy
Hammerhead Gunship     175 pts
     Railgun
     Smart Missile System
     MultiTrack
Target Locks are useful. Decoy Launchers are invaluable. Remember that.

Krootox     35
See above. Oxen are okay, I guess... certainly not popular, though. I'd be interested to hear if you've had any luck with them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Get the new codex ("Tau Empire") and read it carefully, especially the Kroot section. There are some bits of wargear that you may find useful that you haven't checked out. Have fun with the list, though. It's good to see a fresh perspective.

I got the new codex not too long ago, but it disappeared. Looks like I will need another since it seems to be gone permanently. The other changes to the list are interesting as well. I have had mixed results with the krootox, mostly good. It is the main reason I was able to destroy a CSM dreadnought. After I look through the wargear though, I may decide not to take it.

Thank you again Rudkin and Wyddr for the comments and giving me things to think about with this list.

Offline Kyure

• I have a va-jay-jay on my forehead!!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 10:02:49 PM »
I dunno if twin linking the plasma rifle is the best thing.  Kind of a waste of points to have 3 weapons on there...especially if one is twin linked.  Go with the ion blaster if thats what you want and the plasma rifle and drop on a targeting array and the HW multitracker. (or HW both of those and add on a shield gen to help him from getting pummeled if you know your opponent will have ap3 or better guns on the table.

Offline Derikari

• I Brake for Kroot
  • I gots a title! ... I don't get it.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 10:09:22 PM »
Misread the armylist... never mind.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 11:47:41 PM by Derikari »

Offline Rudkin

• Fio'ui Kais
  • Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 11:45:03 PM »
Go with the ion blaster if thats what you want and the plasma rifle and drop on a targeting array and the HW multitracker. (or HW both of those and add on a shield gen to help him from getting pummeled if you know your opponent will have ap3 or better guns on the table.)

Just a friendly reminder that a "Hard-Wired Targeting Array" does not exist; I inferred from your statement that you wanted to use one.

You would have to choose between the TA and the Shield Generator if the other slots are filled with weapons.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 12:39:45 PM »
welcome to 40konline...

before i start i want to say a quick well done for your post layout. the list is quite clear i think. even if there are some illegalities in there (though nothing major).

HQ
Shas'el      100 pts
    Cyclic Ion Blaster
    Twin Linked Plasma Rifle
    Hard Wired MultiTrack

this is an interesting set up, one i dont think ive seen before. you know, i think i quite like it. at an even 100points it seems effective enough. the twin linking makes the plasma a little better than giving the guy a targeting array, though the ion blaster doesnt benefit from it. still, i think its a fresh approach to a 100point commander.

Elite

a nice team. i always suggest a team leader and bonding knife here...

again, teams of three should have team leaders with bonding knives. here though, i would suggest taking the twin fusion suit and placing him into a team of one, filling that third elites slot. (you could do this with any one of the suits really... each time you do, it will change the way that unit is used because their favoured enemy will vary).

then you have to start thinking about having two suits with twin linked weapons are better off for you than having two suits with plasma, missile pod... (or whichever other combination you have gone for)...

i might also think about dropping the targeting arrays and replacing them with somethign else... your choices are rather limited, but they are there... my favourite these days is to slot in a flamer. you cant shoot both weapons, but having flamers floating about can really be a help against horde armies.

Troop
     Photon Grenades

Photon Grenades

personally i would drop the photon grenades... they dont do much to save your bacon, and i dont think you dont have enough combat support to make them worth taking to hold enemy units in time to salvage your team.

Kroot x11     77 pts

yes, the hounds and krootox are now part of this single unit. taking teh krootox loses the infiltrate of the unit... so i generally advise against it. i will get onto the krootox again later.

Fast

see above

Gun Drones x5     60 pts

excellent. trust me, using them to get at weak tanks is less unorthodox than you might think, and they are VERY good at the things that people dont expect them to be... such as tank hunting, and combat!

Heavy
     Railgun
     Smart Missile System
     MultiTrack

you should equip this with a target lock to allow your anti infantry SMS to fire when your railgun it targeting tanks. other than that your good here.

Krootox     35

supposed to be with the kroot... however, i would consider dropping it and replacing with somethign else. the kroot gun is not as good as the missile pod... so you might want to think about another twin missile pod suit. you could then run the two missile pod suits as a single unit...

i think you are onto a nice first list, and its a good one to ease you into 40k with tau. you have some mobility, some combat, and lots of shooting so you should be able to learn about the different facets of the game. a nice first army, with lots of room for minor amendments to increase its performance....

i dont want to force you into any specific changes because id rather you find out what works best for you.

oinks overview: 40%
a nice 1000point start, although you say your not sure how you will use the list i think you know more than you let on. you have made some specific choices in writing your list, so its good to simply write down why you have chosen specific things. how you could possibly use them in a game (such as what their goals are). this gets you thinking about your choices, and also lets us help you use your units (or suggest better selections for your goals!)

Offline Wolf9

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 08:38:22 PM »
Well, I have been unable to access the internet for a couple days. I really appreciate the feedback on my list and am working on making changes to better utilize points where possible. While doing so, I am also trying to think up various ways I would use specific units in various circumstances. That should also help me to plan out where points can be dropped to make improvements elsewhere.