News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Iyanden Themed Army List (3rd of 5 Craftworld Themed Armies)  (Read 4221 times)

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
Iyanden Themed Army List (3rd of 5 Craftworld Themed Armies)
« on: October 3, 2009, 04:26:50 PM »
Continuing my project of posting a themed army list for each of the five major Craftworlds, I have come up with this 2000 point list for Iyanden:

(155) Yriel

(100) Farseer w/ Fortune & Runes of Warding.

(396) Wraithguard x10. Warlock w/ Conceal.

(127) Storm Guardians x10 w/ Flamer x2.  Warlock w/ Destructor.

(140) Wave Serpent w/ Twin-Linked EML, Shuriken Cannon & Spirit Stones.

(72) Dire Avengers x6.

(260) Harlequins x10 w/ Kisses x5.  Death Jester, Shadowseer & Troupe Master w/ Power Weapon.

(85) Vyper w/ EML, Shuriken Cannon & Spirit Stones.

(180) Falcon w/ EML, Holo-Fields & Spirit Stones.

(155) Wraithlord w/ EML & Bright Lance.

Total: 1995 points
39 Infantry, 2 Monstrous Creatures, 5 Vehicles
3 Scoring Units, 13 Scoring Units

First let me say that I KNOW this list will not win many friends, and will probably get all kinds of hell for composition in a tournament environment.  However, I feel the list is well within the Iyanden theme.  Here's why:

Iyanden has been forced to rely heavily on Wraith Constructs to bolster their depleted military, so the inclusion of Wraithguard and Wraithlords should not surprise anyone.  Yriel is an Iyanden character, so his inclusion also makes sense.  Though the DAVU Falcon is typically construed as a "cheesy" tactic to preserve a scoring unit; it would make sense if those Dire Avengers were the last of their Aspect Shrine.  They would need to preserve themselves as best they could in order for that shrine to continue in the future.  Harlequins are not strongly associated with any Craftworld, but unless I am sorely mistaken they are more closely connected to Iyanden than the others, so their presence here is appropriate.

Army Design Concept:

I set out to make a list with as few "living" troops in it as possible, to reflect the dire situation the Iyanden Eldar have found themselves in.  However, I did want the list to be playable as well, so I made a few adjustments.  Instead of having two full squads of Wraithguard, I included a squad of Storm Guardians (to give me three scoring units and some much needed anti-swarm firepower) and a squad of Harlequins, which provide desperately needed close combat power.  Since the Harlequins are not technically from Iyanden, I do not feel that having them conflicts with my "limited living Eldar" theme.

Strategy:

Yriel and the Farseer join the Wraithguard squad.  This combined element forms a resilient scoring unit that can handle nearly anything that gets in range.  This block is supported by the Harlequins and the Wraithlords, which form another block.  These two elements basically march across the field, taking the fight to the enemy while laying down fire as they go.  The rest of the army supports this through the application of mobile firepower; whether using that firepower to eliminate vehicles or to thin out swarms of infantry.  The Dire Avengers stay mounted in the Falcon at all times, providing me with a second resilient scoring unit.  The Storm Guardians are the tertiary objective claimers, though against hordes their firepower will be needed, and therefore they may not survive.

Though I did not plan this list with a particular opponent in mind.  However, I think this list will be particularly effective against nidzilla lists, with the abundance of high strength firepower and the resilience of the units.  This is most appropriate when you consider that it was the Tyranids which placed Iyanden in its present situation.  That this list is capable of effectively fighting that army's strongest build is fitting.  Furthermore, I think this list will do well against most elite armies, such as Space Marines.  Hordes will be a little more troublesome, but they'll also be limited in their ability to inflict damage against this army, making the game a contest in survival, something this list will do very well.

I welcome any comments (or ratings; Gutstikk/Moc) you may have, but I am not seeking any advice concerning this list, because I consider it a finished product.

C.S.
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Iyanden Themed Army List (3rd of 5 Craftworld Themed Armies)
« Reply #1 on: October 3, 2009, 04:52:34 PM »
From a background standpoint, I think the connection between Iyanden and the Harlequins is tenuous to say the least.  I would have to check my old materials (which I cannot do in Nottingham), but I am pretty convinced that the Harlequins were not even involved in protecting Iyanden from destruction by the Tyranids, and they certainly don't feature in any mainstream Iyanden background that I have read.

For these reasons, I think the presence of Harlequins is highly misplaced in an Iyanden army list.  Indeed, it is Alaitoc which has developed a strong relationship with the Harlequins in the wake of its losses in the Medusa Campaign, so I feel you have rather mixed up these two Craftworlds here.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

« Reply #2 on: October 3, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
You are correct of course, the Harlequins are more closely tied to Alaitoc than Iyanden or any other Craftworld... that's what I get for doing my lists in the wrong order.  ;)

So I made a bit of an error there, but I don't think that means the Harlequins are misplaced here.  Again, if I were to substitue Aspect Warriors in their stead, it would imply that Iyanden has more living warriors available... something I am trying NOT to convey with the list.

I do appreciate your comments though, and especially correcting me about Iyanden vs. Alaitoc.  ;)

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: October 4, 2009, 09:55:09 AM »
Again, if I were to substitue Aspect Warriors in their stead, it would imply that Iyanden has more living warriors available... something I am trying NOT to convey with the list.

I would have been tempted to go the dual Wraithguard route at the expense of the Harlequins and Vypers.

There are a few Iyanden players (I know of a couple over at Warseer who post regularly there) who have adopted the dual Wraithguard route in their Iyanden lists, and not bothered with a counter assault unit at all, and they say it works in terms of tactics.

I know you are not looking to change the lists, but for future reference, I think this is by far the better background option than taking Harlequins if you want to avoid 'living' units (I'm borrowing your definition of 'living' for the purposes of this discussion  ;)).

I do appreciate your comments though, and especially correcting me about Iyanden vs. Alaitoc.  ;)

The Alaitoc change caught me by surprise as well a few weeks ago, but a thread by Oink in the Eldar Project boards (which is quite old now, but still worth a read) brought me up to speed, so he is the one who deserves the credit for this.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Mal

« Reply #4 on: October 5, 2009, 12:53:53 PM »
Prior to the IG codex I ran a similar list, and it was just okay IMO.  This biggest issue I had was that the majority of points are tied up in a unit that moves 6" a turn.  Many people will simply stay out of the 18" threat range.  Almost all the capture and control missions ended in a draw.  While you have two other scoring units, they are not that resilient without support and all the support will be at your flag.  If you do move them up you take a chance of not getting to their flag.  This has happened to me MANY times. 

Now with that being said.  It is a real fun list to play with and against, and I think you should go for it. 

Couple of points from my experience:

1) Find points for runes of witnessing, fortune makes or breaks that unit.
2) I used an Avatar instead of Yriel, but both have thier pros and cons.
3) Are the harlies really required?  With Yriel shouldn't the WG be able to take care of themselves?  I would swap them for some dragons in a wave, or if you want to fit the theme 5 WG in a serpent.
4) You might not want to hear it, but Eldrad fits this list PERFECTLY.

Anyway, have to split for work will try and add some more later.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2009, 12:55:15 PM by Mal »

« Reply #5 on: October 7, 2009, 02:28:30 AM »
Couple of points from my experience:

1) Find points for runes of witnessing, fortune makes or breaks that unit.

Fortune is pretty essential, but I've found Runes of Witnessing largely unnecessary.  I'd rather not risk the PotW.  If necessary, I'll spend a turn sitting in 4+ cover.

2) I used an Avatar instead of Yriel, but both have thier pros and cons.

Avatar doesn't benefit from a single cast of Fortune the way Yriel does, and in an Iyanden list Yriel is the more background-appropriate choice.

3) Are the harlies really required?  With Yriel shouldn't the WG be able to take care of themselves?  I would swap them for some dragons in a wave, or if you want to fit the theme 5 WG in a serpent.

Yriel is a beast, but he's still only one guy with 4 attacks (5 if charging).  Though the Wraithguard are likely to survive most combats without significant losses, I don't want to get bogged down and then fail to reach the target objective.  You yourself said your Wraithguard have failed on several occasions to get where they were going.  By having the Harlequins there to tip the balance of combat in my favor, I can reach the objective more quickly.  Furthermore, Maugan Ra and the Deathjester can add some high volume firepower to the mix, while remaining relatively safe from reprisal thanks to the Shadowseer's Veil of Tears.  They can thin out enemy hordes, pin units in place so the WG can get to them, and generally offer more flexibility than the options you mentioned.

4) You might not want to hear it, but Eldrad fits this list PERFECTLY.

Other than theme, you are correct.  I use the Eldrad/Yriel/Wraithguard combo in my non-Iyanden list, and they do spectacular.  However, I was trying to focus primarily on theme, with competitive considerations as a secondary, when I posted this list.

Not saying your ideas are bad (cause they're NOT bad at all), but they just don't fit with what I was trying to accomplish.  ;)

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #6 on: October 7, 2009, 08:05:05 PM »

(155) Yriel
(100) Farseer w/ Fortune & Runes of Warding.
(396) Wraithguard x10. Warlock w/ Conceal.

(127) Storm Guardians x10 w/ Flamer x2.  Warlock w/ Destructor.
(140) Wave Serpent w/ Twin-Linked EML, Shuriken Cannon & Spirit Stones.

(72) Dire Avengers x6.
(180) Falcon w/ EML, Holo-Fields & Spirit Stones.

(260) Harlequins x10 w/ Kisses x5.  Death Jester, Shadowseer & Troupe Master w/ Power Weapon.

Total: 1995 points
39 Infantry, 2 Monstrous Creatures, 5 Vehicles
3 Scoring Units, 13 Kill Points

I re-arranged some of the working units just to allow me to rate it more effectively.. I hope this is OK and here is the rating. Sorry it took so long.

moc-score

1.. Anti-tank potential 0.9 Very Good; as efery working group actually has Anti-tank potential (as well as other versatilities included).. and some are serious Ranged AT as well as mid and short range as well.
2.. Anti-MEQ potential 0.8 Good; as once again every working group has Potential vs MEQ, although some groups are limited in range, or potents,,, or I would have rated it higher.
3.. Anti-Horde potential 0.9 Good; Each unit has Horde potential in the way of Mass Shooting or Templates or both, Well Done.
4.. Ranged Firepower potential 0.7 Above Average; Each working group has decent ranged potential; but movement must be curtailed to maintain it so I docked the score a little...
5.. Assault potential 0.6 Average; The Yriel group, and the Harlies are the only real Assault Units... as Wraithgaurd and Wraithlords must both be much more selective on what/when they assault... and the rest has little to no assault potential.
6.. Scoring Units / point level 0.6 Average; 3 Scoring units @ 2K is light; but due to the resilience factor of the units you selected... I rated it Average
7.. Durability or Resilience 0.8 Good; This army is serioulsy one Tough Nut to crack unless you know what your doing... Do not be fooled to think that 3 lone Vypers are easy targets, as their 48" range will help them survive, and if your shooting them, then you might be in trouble from the rest of the army...
8.. Flexability 0.8 Good; I see no opponent that would excell vs this list, in fact I consider it on par with some of current Top Tier lists out there.. I have in fact faced list very very simular to this one, and there are not fun to slowly beat down.... 
9.. Mission Capabiliy 0.8 Good; This army might have some slight disadvantage if there are 5 Mission Objectives; but then again it can contest things that its not scoring on... smart opponents will know how to remove the WG from an objective, etc... so only due to its somewhat visable tactics I score it this low.
10. Dynamics and/or Theme 0.9 Very Good; Iyanden in spades.. as its near dead, and in theme with almost everything I have ever read about the craftworld... nicely done... and most changes would take away from this part synergy, so please don't change much ~ ever.

Rating = 7.8/10 Some will score it differently; but as I said.. I have face very simular lists and they are very tough to beat, and very worthy of most Compititions. good luck with it, and may you add to your collection of Stones. Depending on playstyle, this "Ground and Pound" type of army can be seriously competitive.

• Only thing I would change/add... is... A Singing Spear to the Stomries Warlock, as it adds ranged MC/Vehicle potential.. and he won't need the extra attack in CC all that often.... Besides, you had 5 points to spare...
  • Others will say to dump the Stones from the Vypers; but in this one case, I think that they actually add to the theme of the list.. so I would leave them there.

PS.. One of the highest ratings I have given Eldar in 5th Ed, beaten only by Lazarus' tourniment winning Mech Eldar lists.

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 08:45:58 PM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

« Reply #7 on: October 8, 2009, 05:01:10 AM »
Rating Pending... Suggestions too if you want them

Suggestions are welcome, I'm just not planning on re-posting a revised list.  ;)

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #8 on: October 8, 2009, 10:28:35 AM »
A nice list CS, I would have no qualms to try it out, all seems fine. ;)

I do not have much to say as far as strategies and tactics goes, as you know your subject well, although I will point out a tactic that worked well for me for some games: WG (Spiritseer) + Yriel (or Maugan Ra) + Farseer (Eldrad) work very well against heavily mechanised lists. In fact, it work better than shooting at the armor, as you can (and should) spread out the unit and get the Witchblade wielders also spread out in the unit, it deals well in multiple assaulting AV and/or units.

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #9 on: October 8, 2009, 05:25:29 PM »
I've been known to play a somewhat Iyanden-ish list myself.  Personally, I like the dual wriath guard troops.  Yes, they'll have trouble reaching very far into enemy territory, but they will kill just about anything that's within 12".  Of course, I also have Eldrad to fortune them both, so this paragraph is not very helpful.

I like the list.  It looks very fluffy and fun to play.  The only thing I'd like to see changed a bit is (sorry harlies) the harlies swapped for something else.  Maybe another Wraith Lord with a sword and some sort of anti-infantry gun?  The gun could thin the enemies numbers before they get into assault with you, and if you don't mind investing the wraith lords into assault for a turn, they should be able to wrap up combat nicely. Of course, then you have a lot of points going into a single assault...

Really great list though.

Offline Travelocity

• BANNED Fool: You never get BANNED alone
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 11:47:58 AM »
Great list! I love it, it seems fairly tactically viable! I'd love to know how the vypers fare also!
User BANNED for repeated breaches of forum rules.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 08:38:07 PM »
Rating done above... Sorry to take so long with it; but I had to break it down and actually playtested vs it to see its hidden potential. (My Saim-Hann (JB Council) list got a draw vs this list, and my Orks (Knob Bikers) got a very minor victory... but both those list tend to rip through most opponents with realative ease.... So I think your list has some seriously nice Hidden Gems.

7.8/10 is the score I gave it; but in the right hands, it could do even better... nice list.

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 08:48:32 PM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 08:30:36 AM »
Hey, thanks for getting back to it.  I know you're busy with your family, and you have your priorities straight.  ;)

I'd love a Battle Report of either/both of the games you played against the list, if you have the time or inclination.  Even if its just a brief summary from memory sent to me by PM, I'd love to know how it played and what you thought as you faced it.  I have to wait until I get home to play any more games, so right now I sort of live vicariously through other people's Battle Reports.  Seeing one with my own list in it would be cool.  ;)

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project