News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Crone World Fluff!  (Read 2984 times)

Offline Magical Beans

• No beer until you finish your tequila!
Crone World Fluff!
« on: January 2, 2008, 01:19:05 PM »
I'm not sure if it goes here or in the project forum. Please move if necessary.

Crone World Fluff
Note: Sources include Codex: Eldar 2nd, 3rd, and 4th edition.
Some of you might know this, but I am in the process of slowly building and converting a Crone World army (key word being slowly). To back up such a thing, I have been finding any sort of fluff that relates to the Crone Worlds. I don’t have many sources but some of the ones I have provide a fair amount. Here is what I have come up with. My army has its own style. Like Craftworlds, each Crone World can be drastically different from the last. Regardless, of my armies fluff, all the Crone Worlds have a similar past and a history worth telling. Here goes. I hope you enjoy.

Origin and the Fall
At the height of their civilization, the Eldar inhabited numerous worlds. Their abilities and power were unrivaled. The Eldar could accomplish anything they desired, satisfying any whim. They believed that every secret was theirs to discover and every pleasure was theirs to take.

As the Eldar exploited the resources of their powerful minds in the pursuit of pleasure, Eldar society disintegrated. The desire to seek the extremes of sensation resulted in a disregard for life itself. Cults began to emerge and roamed the Eldar worlds, each one searching for its’ own gratification. The once proud race was now rotting from within. The Eldar had become a perverse form of their previous self.

While the Eldar turned to wanton mayhem, their corruption and desires manifested itself into the entity known as Slaanesh: a perfect reflection of the Eldar mind without any restraints or decency. Slowly the deity grew in power, waiting for its moment. As it formed, Slaanesh entered the minds of its makers. Many were driven to the brink of insanity. Worlds burned as the Eldar spiraled even farther into their own self-destruction.

The time eventually came, and with an immense psychic howl Slaanesh was born. A psychic implosion near the heart of the Eldar realm shook the universe. Every Eldar and many other species within thousands of light years were destroyed. Their souls fed Slaanesh as it joined the ranks of the other prominent Chaos gods. At the core of the implosion a massive rift and storm in the warp formed. Such was the power of the storm that it ripped a hole into the material universe. This hole in space expanded until it consumed much of the Eldar realm. This area continues to be ravaged even today and is known now as the Eye of Terror. Out of this mayhem there was some good. The turmoil caused by the Eye actually calmed the rest of warp space, which made warp travel possible for the other races.

The Eye of Terror is a truly bizarre place, where the material universe and the warp are intertwined. Both exist together. Nothing is as it seems. Within this madness, the Crone Worlds lie. Once the proud home worlds of the Eldar, they stand as monuments to everything that was lost. Many treasures of the Eldar race remain on these worlds but they have new guardians: the servants of Chaos.

Spirit Stones
A spirit stone is a physical manifestation of psychic forces. These are formed when the warp and the material universe and intertwined.  Spirit stones take a crystalline form and are found in very few places. Some stones can be found near webway gates but the primary source is the Crone Worlds. Due to their placement in the Eye and their history, the Crone Worlds are comprised almost entirely of spirit stones despite their now hellish appearance.
Note: There is more about Spirit Stones and their purpose but it didn’t relate too well.

Chaos
When Slaanesh was born, not every Eldar within range was destroyed. It is said that Chaos worshiping Eldar survived, protected by Slaanesh itself. Decedents of these Eldar survive on the Crone Worlds to this day. Given the perverse nature of the Eye, it is also possible that some of these original Eldar remain, most likely in the form of Daemon Princes.

There are many servants on the Crone Worlds that are recreations of their former selves. Slaanesh has the power to bring back those that were lost in order to serve again. Regardless of where they come from, the Crone World Eldar are the most damned of all Chaos servants for they are utterly and hopelessly at the mercy of their god. Any semblance of individuality can be stripped at a whim. These servants are lost to everyone: friends, family, and themselves.

Many Eldar Outcasts travel to the Crone Worlds, often seeking a long lost friend, family, or treasure. Out of the numerous Eldar that have made their way into the
Eye, very few survive the trek. Even fewer are able to return to their craftworld. The ones that do are never the same; their minds ravaged by the unthinkable experience.

Out of the numerous Eldar that don’t make it out of the Eye, many succumb to temptation. The same desire for carnage and pleasure that caused the Fall overcomes these deprived Eldar. With their spirits and mind broken, they join the ranks of their Crone World bretheren or simply die from madness. One of the most famous to fall is Arhra, the Father of the Scorpions. Little is known of Arhra. Rumor has it that Arhra turned on his fellow Eldar, killing with wanton abandon. Eventually Arhra fled into the Webway to become the Fallen Phoenix Lord. Whether he is alive or dead is unknown, but he has never been forgotten.

It might be some time, but I will get some army specific info up later.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2008, 01:20:41 PM by Magical Beans »
-Beans

Offline Mad Dok Brown

• Ork Boy
  • Crazy Gitz are the ones pressing all the buttons.
    • thebattlebunker forum
Re: Crone World Fluff!
« Reply #1 on: January 4, 2008, 02:21:18 PM »
I noticed you started building some of the crone world models already, what exactly is your aim for the Crone World eldar. Are they going to be like Exodites, Dark Eldar, or Chaos Eldar? Seeing as theyre trapped in the warp, whats in store for them?

Offline Magical Beans

« Reply #2 on: January 4, 2008, 04:34:55 PM »
Insert Name: ________
   At the moment, my Crone World does not have a name, but I do have plans and unit details for it. In essence, they are Chaos Eldar but for all practicality they follow the Craftworld Eldar Codex. I use figures from that range so using those rules would only be fitting, especially for tournament play.
   The army will be mostly a shooting geared footslogging force. Few vehicles exist on this Crone World, and the ones that do are essentially defensive assets against intruders whether Imperium based or rival Gods (think guardian statues). They really don’t see a need for vehicles.
While on their Crone World, they would have insanely dominant powers from Slaanesh. As I mentioned earlier, there are no servants of Chaos that are as close to their God. These Eldar however aren’t necessarily trapped in the Warp. The can leave but rarely do so. After all, have you ever fought against one ;) They don’t really leave the warp due to its cost. When they leave the Eye for whatever reason, their powers/physique would be greatly diminished because Slaanesh can’t reach and influence them (thus Craftworld stats are great ex: S3 and T3).
   I wanted a somewhat unique style list that could potentially be competitive (my friends and brother are very competitive). This is a hefty task but I chose to base a large percentage of the army around pinning. I have yet to see a list on the forums since I joined that has a strong emphasis on pinning. This is to reflect the twisted psyche of these ancient Eldar. They aren’t necessarily trying to lay down withering fire, but rather destroy the enemy’s confidence and hope, all the while deriving pleasure from the experience. They simply play with the enemies mind. After all, they are trying to reach and exploit the far reaches of the mind and emotion.
   To achieve this goal, the army has a hefty base of Outcasts (Pathfinders), EML equipped Devoted (Defender Squads), and Support Batteries. I chose wargear options that also contribute to the pinning. My Farseer equivalent would have Eldritch Storm, my Harlequin equivalents have a Death Jester, and my Hawk equivalents have the Sunrifle. Overall, there are few units in the army that can’t cause pinning. Everything also serves multiple purposes. For example, EMLs are good for anti-tank and they can be ideal horde control. At first, it wasn’t designed as such but it just came out that way. I liked the idea and ran with it.
   In the next post, I’ll try to give a fluff breakdown of the unit types I am taking.
-Beans

Offline Mad Dok Brown

• Ork Boy
    • thebattlebunker forum
« Reply #3 on: January 4, 2008, 04:57:06 PM »
Interesting, I've fooled around with the all pinning army before, Vibrocannons, Maugan Ra, Swooping Hawks, but it was mostly geared towards a conscript army with low toughness and leadership. It decimated most of his army with the Template mayhem and volume of fire, but against marines that would be a different thing. You could use howling banshees because of their psychic screaming helms could demoralize the opponents, and then field daemonette models as them... maybe  ::)

Back on the story, so theyre mentally trapped by greed and lust for power; if they were to leave, chances are that they would go crawling back? Sounds very intriguing, I'll be keeping tuned to this  :D

Offline Magical Beans

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 03:27:21 PM »
Ok, here is the next step. I haven't been able to do much with it this past month because I'm starting at a new job and moving to a new apt. Things are busy at home. This section includes an army list. I'm using this to dive into unit specific fluff. At this point, the fluff is all my own interpretation. I came up with a list to be used primarily in fun games. At the moment the list is only 1000pts strong. I realize that this would probably be best in Tactics/Army List section but I already have this thread going. I’ll give a tactic breakdown later and focus on the fluff here. I’ve given the names for each unit. The upgrades will also have names but not yet.

HQ (13.5%)
Autarch--> Crone Lord = 135pts
   +Reaper Launcher, Power Weapon, Mandiblasters & Hawk Wings

The Crone Lords are truly bizarre characters. Slaanesh has chosen these individuals to be truly special and lets them retain all of their individuality. Many may see this as a blessing but it is surely not. After they are chosen they are isolated in the Warp. Taken from everything and everyone, their prison of darkness ravages their minds with extreme pleasures and pain. Despite their already primal nature, their psyches are simply unable to cope. As a result, Lords seem do always be mentally detached, a husk of a body. After their lengthy exile, the Crone Lords lead the armies of the Crone Worlds, yet despite their role, they are slighted by almost every other servant of Slaanesh. The Lords don’t recognize their desolate position and don’t even realize they are being insulted. They wear the brighter pinks in a mocking show of rank. Their title is in itself a joke. They are Lords of nothing. They are truly pitiful characters. As the Crone Lords direct Slaanesh’s forces in battle, the moves are always unpredictable and seem utterly outlandish. In the madness however, there is tactical genius. The small forces of the Crone Worlds lead by the Lords are able to bewilder the enemy. Before the enemy has time to realize the Lord’s true motives, it’s too late.

Elite (18.6%)
Harlequin Troupe --> Apparitions (7) = 186pts
   +Shadowseer
   +Death Jester
   +Kisses (5)

Before the Fall, countless cults ravaged Eldar society. When Slaanesh was born, many of these cultists perished in the psychic implosion. Despite their death, Slaanesh brings these demented souls into the material universe. On the Crone Worlds, Apparitions appear to be almost normal. When they leave the Crone World, there true makeup is revealed. These reincarnated forms of the Eldar are made up of millions of tiny spirit stone shards suspended in the air, held together by the psychic energy of the Eldar soul, Slaanesh, and minor demon.

Apparitions have a ghostlike appearance void of emotion or feeling. Shots and blows can sometimes pass right through their visage. The shards can separate to avoid clumsy blows. The shards also have a limited ability to even phase in and out of the warp to avoid powerful attacks. Furthermore, their composition grants them the uncanny ability to walk straight through solid objects, allowing them to close in on their target with uncanny speed. When they will it, the psycho-kinetic energy that ties them to the material universe can be focused into several different types of weapons. Their favorite form of attack is to send their own shards into the enemy’s’ body and let the shard phase in and out of the warp.  This form of attack has little defense and fills the victims body with microscopic holes.

Troops (42.4%)
Guardian Defenders --> Devoted (10) = 140pts
   +EML
   +Warlock: Conceal
   +EML

The Devoted are the base of the Crone World forces and they come from a variety of different places. Some are ancient being from the birth of Eldar society. Others have been admitted from the Outcast ranks.

Similar to the citizen soldiers of the Craftworlds, these Eldar serve other purposes. Besides acting as cannon fodder, these Eldar frequently help in the worshiping services and work to maintain everything on the Crone World. The Devoted wear some of the darker pinks to signify their lower status. They frequently employ heavy weapons that inflict trauma on the enemy’s psyche.

When on the Crone World, even the Devoted are formidable foes, easily capable of rivaling Space Marines in single combat. When the forces of the Crone Worlds leave the Eye, they become farther and farther away from Slaanesh. Their stature and skills suffer in their God’s absence. To help his forces, Slaanesh focuses his power through Acolytes. Acolytes are rare individuals and typically lead the Devoted into battle and worship. Slaanesh’s power gives the Acolytes unique abilities that help to compensate for the Devoted’s deteriorated conditions.

Pathfinders --> Outcasts (6) = 144pts

Outcasts are the lowest caste in the Crone World society. These are typically Eldar that have traveled into the Eye and succumbed to desire. They can’t really be trusted by either side, yet they strive to prove themselves to Slaanesh.

Outcasts wear hooded robes and more black than any other Crone World caste. The reason is not fully known but it is said to represent their guilt and shame. The black is trimmed with a dark purple to signify their rank as the lowliest Crone Eldar. As they shed their guilt and robes, they don the pink armor and join the ranks of the Devoted.

Heavy Support (25.5%)
Wraithlord --> Favored Child= 155pts
   +Bright Lance & EML

Some Crone Eldar that have proven their worth countless times as dedicated servants are given certain gifts. These gifts often take the shape of wings or claws. On occasion, Slaanesh’s gifts are abundant and the servant is utterly unrecognizable. The transformation is so bizarre that armor and flesh are merged to form a tall and slender yet terribly powerful being.

Of all Crone Eldar, the Favored Children retain more of their power than any other when they leave the Eye. On occasion, these giants need to pause and draw on the warp to maintain their strength. Like the Devoted, Favored Children typically wield heavy weapons to toy with the enemy’s mind.

Vibrocannon --> *undecided* (1) = 50pts

The Crone Eldar love to ravage the minds of their opponents. They frequently use massive artillery pieces infused with warp energies. When fired, the cannons directly attack the mind on anyone in its path. The warp energies throw off the brain’s chemical balance resulting in mind distorting effects. Minor effects include hallucinations and headaches. More serious casualties include permanent brain damage or brain death.
-Beans

Offline Mad Dok Brown

• Ork Boy
    • thebattlebunker forum
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 04:32:35 PM »
Looks good, it really ties everything together. It'll be interesting to see what kind of conversion you do for the wraithlord. Also for the Vibrocannons, why not call them Mindflayers. Keep up the good work

Offline Magical Beans

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 06:03:03 PM »
Thanks. I like the name. I think I'll use it.

I already did the Wraithlord here: http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=148533.msg1806419#msg1806419

It was only my second attempt at a Crone unit. I don't think I took it far enough. I have another one to make around here somewhere. I plan on converting it in the distant future with a more radical look.
-Beans

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 11:19:14 PM »
You've got some truly excellent stuff going so far; if you get stuck on something I'd be glad to help. I couldn't help but notice that your Wraithlords have been gifted by Slaanesh; my Craftworld has no wraithlords because they were possessed by daemons during the fall... merely coincidence, or is there a link? Only time will tell for the forces of Craftworld Ryleina...

Edit - Ninja critique
Background: 1
and lots of it! Nice job suiting unit selections to your theme; lots of careful thought has been put into fleshing out this list. Should make for good gaming!
Composition: 1
Excellent unit balance, good distibution of points, and covers a wide variety of threats. Something fast would be a good addition to this force at higher levels.
Utility: .5
Some of your units have been perhaps a little over-invested in. With a bit more stingyness, it may have been possible to add some additional units with no loss in overall effectiveness.
Flexibility: 1
All of your units prove capable of dealing with a wide variety of targets, ensuring that there should never be an enemy who you cannot hurt, and that your unit roles overlap so something is always on hand to deal with threats.
Ingenuity: 0
While the list itself is somewhat innovative and features a very intriguing HQ, there is really no description of the strategies and tactics you will be employing. More work could be done in this area.
Total: 3.5, for a solid list. With a bit more work could truly be a thing of beauty.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 12:41:42 PM by Gutstikk »

Offline Mad Dok Brown

• Ork Boy
    • thebattlebunker forum
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 12:38:05 AM »
Ah, I missed that wraithlord, very subtle but i do like the face, now all you need it to add a half dozen teats to make it truly slaaneshi. :D At least you got the 2 hardest ones done first

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 09:39:11 AM »
Well that was a good read, how far along are your units (post a *Done* for figures that are playable with possible link to Picture.)

I have a few suggestions for you as well.

1.. I suggest some ambiguety on the Sex (M/F) of some of your figures as chaos is often "Undecided" on this issue.

2.. For your Harlequins, you could call them a Shadow-Crone and Death-Crone and their weapons could be "Shards of Death" instead of Kisses.

3.. Your Units truely have a grat background to them, and the Concealing Warlocks are certainly very fitting as are the Harlequins. For the Pathfinders, I would suggest that you actually give them all Hoods as it would go with their Outcast fell and nature, and I would suggest some seperation form the GW figures to make them really hidden in appearance (like true modern day snipers - dug int he ground, in trees, etc.).

4.. Your army has a great feel to it for 1K, and although I don't think it would win tournaments, it should certainly be competititve. to go along with it... here is an idea for a 500pts expansion to it.
HQ
93/143 Farseer -1: e-storm, Runes of Ward, and Spear  ** add Spirit Stones and Fortune **
Fast Attack
173 Swooping Hawks - 6: Exarch with Sunrifle, Intercept and Skyleap.
184 Warp Spiders - 6: Exarch with Spinneret, P-blades, Surprise Assault, and Withdraw.
Heavy Support
** 50 Vibro Cannon ** instead of hte Fortune and S-Stones on the Farseer.

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline ALshroth

• Autoarch of Althan
    • My WIP website
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 12:35:27 PM »
I This area continues to be ravaged even today and is known now as the Eye of Terror. Out of this mayhem there was some good. The turmoil caused by the Eye actually calmed the rest of warp space, which made warp travel possible for the other races.

Err acording to GW history your wrong.
THe eye of terror disrupted warp space isolating many of the chapters of the space marines and is wasn't till a mallinum later the the eye calmed down, calming warp space aswell allowing warp travel to start again.
When the Biel-tan fled there home worlds they left behind many living people on many worlds, however unknown to them a world survived unharmed and unchanged there name was forever changed to Althan.
My Home - www.ajb2k3.co.uk 2008.

Offline Magical Beans

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 02:54:33 PM »
*Grumble grumble* You might be right there. When I get home, I'll dig through my sources and see what I find. If you're right, I'll definitely edit the post.
-Beans

Offline HourOfNeed

• “The essence of war is violence. Moderation in war
« Reply #12 on: February 2, 2008, 10:51:47 PM »

Sounds like an interesting concept with what could be a great army,
im guna spout off my thoughts and ideas sorry if it seems as a rant.
from a fluff point of view i cant see how or why the crone world eldar world be acting as (looking similar to?) craftworld eldar. The aspects emerged after the fall and the "path" began after as well. with Dark eldar would surly be most similar. unless Slanesh released and reformed them as a dark parody of their craftworld kin for his own whims and to show the eldar another way.

Or perhaps they could be from a craftworld ( like Alanstar)/crone world moon(flung out)/ fleet of ships etc that left too late and were caught in or sucked ( over centuries) into the eye of terror on its opening where upon they were subjected to the full horrors of chaos etc released but to what ends...etc

as for the rangers or pathfinders their story could be that they were some of those who explored the crone worlds only never to return...

well i hope my jabbering has been of some use good luck i look forward too hearing of your progress

“The essence of war is violence. Moderation in war is imbecility.” - First Sea Lord - John Arbuthnot Fisher.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #13 on: February 7, 2008, 10:55:18 AM »
I hope you don't mind there MB; but I want to do a little evaluation of your list and post a direct link to it for use within a Project I am helping with. Anyway if your offended, let me know and I'll delete this.

Quote from: Magical Beans
HQ (13.5%)
Autarch--> Crone Lord = 135pts
   +Reaper Launcher, Power Weapon, Mandiblasters & Hawk Wings

Elite (18.6%)
Harlequin Troupe --> Apparitions (7) = 186pts
   +Shadowseer
   +Death Jester
   +Kisses (5)

Troops (42.4%)
   +EML
   +EML
Pathfinders --> Outcasts (6) = 144pts

Heavy Support (25.5%)
Wraithlord --> Favored Child= 155pts
   +Bright Lance & EML

Total 1500pts, 7 Scoring units, 39 figures.

This is an effectiveness rating only.
1.. Anti-tank potential: With 5 out of 8 units having dedicated Anti-tank potential; Very Good (.9)
2.. Anti-MEQ potential: RL, Rending, some of AP=3 or better weapons; Above Average (.7)
3.. Anti-Horde potential: 3 templates, lots of attack in CC, mass fire potential and pinning all adds up; Very Good (.9)
4.. Ranged Firepower potential: Almost every unit has 36" range or better; Excellent (1)
5.. Assault potential: 1 dedicated assault unit and little supporting units makes this a weak point, although it probably won't need to assault very often; Slightly Below Average (.5)
6.. Scoring Units / point level: Not horrible, not great; Above Average (.7)
7.. Durability or Resilience: Subversively resilient if the Pinning works, but against certain enemies it is fairly soft; Average (.6)
8.. Flexability: Has specific uses for everything; and the units can have some variety overall to do their respective jobs; Average (.6)
9.. Mission Capabiliy: Would work really well for many missions; but has downfalls to missions that require a lot of movement to attain the Objectives; Above Average (.7)
10. Dynamics and/or Theme: Very synergetic, theme oriented and ovarall has the potential for serious fun; Good (.8)

Total 7.4/10; Others may score it differently; but a lot would depend on the General as a good player could exploit an enemies weaknesses very well with this list, while many would fail to make it work if required to use it in a more "Unconventional" manner due to an enemy that is immune to Pinning, etc.

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline ALshroth

• Autoarch of Althan
    • My WIP website
« Reply #14 on: February 7, 2008, 12:30:49 PM »
@ HourOfNeed - The pheonix lords who founded the aspects were able to travel between the craftworlds to teach so its conceivable that like the harliquins they were able to travers the warp and stumble upon crone worlds (bases for my craftworld)
When the Biel-tan fled there home worlds they left behind many living people on many worlds, however unknown to them a world survived unharmed and unchanged there name was forever changed to Althan.
My Home - www.ajb2k3.co.uk 2008.

Offline Magical Beans

« Reply #15 on: February 8, 2008, 11:21:19 PM »
This is straight from Codex Eldar 2nd edition.

"If there was one good thing which came from the birth of Slaanesh it was that the warp was thereafter becalmed. Before the advent of Slaanesh the warp was riven with storm and tempest making it almost impossible for spacecraft to travel between the stars. Now the warp became passive. A new equilibrium has been reached, and Slaanesh joined the ranks of major Chaos gods. For a while the powers in the warp waited whilst the new order established itself. For the first time in millennia human spacecraft flew from Earth. Human worlds throughout the galaxy were brought into contact once more."

Depending on how you interpret it Alshroth, we are both right.

Thanks for the review Moc. That is kind of what I was going for. I wanted a different themed list that was flexible and required some ingenuity when used.

Overall, I think having some level of mystery adds to the intrigue of the army.
-Beans