News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1850 competitive Dark Angels for May Tournament  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
1850 competitive Dark Angels for May Tournament
« on: April 17, 2014, 12:57:14 AM »
HQ
Sammael:  Corvex.  200pts

Command Squad:  Standard of Devastation.  165pts

Troops
10 Tactical Marines:  Lascannon.  160pts

10 Tactical Marines:  Lascannon.  160pts

Ravenwing Attack Squadron:  6 Bikes w/ 2 Melta Guns.  181pts

Ravenwing Attack Squadron:  6 Bikes w/ 2 Plasma Guns.  191pts

Heavy Support
Land Raider Crusader:  Extra Armour.  260pts

7 Devastators:  4 Plasma Cannons.

Imperial Knight
Knight Paladin375pts

Total Points:  1850
Model Count:  47
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
Re: 1850 competitive Dark Angels for May Tournament
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 07:11:04 AM »
Hey Grand Master Lomandalis,

The one thing which stands out are the two 10 man Tactical Squads with Lascannons.  If you want static Bolter and Lascannon squads why not use four 5 man Tactical Squads with Lascannons instead? 

Wouldn't a Ravenwing Attack Squadron with 2 Meltaguns would be better than the Bolter/Lascannon squads because the Ravenwing would be more mobile, able to keep up with the Crusader, and they have Twin-Linked Relentless Bolters?

Your list already scary, I just think that you'll be in a better position to pressurise your opponents if you took more mobile elements than you currently are.

Slick Samos
Play more games, paint more models...

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 01:02:57 PM »
Part of the reason for going with the two ten man squads is that I tend to play my Ravenwing over-aggressive and was thinking that if I kept the Land Raider closer to the tactical squads, it would force me to play the bikers in a more conservative manner, allowing me to benefit from the 72 shots combined from the bikes and crusader, as well as getting the additional 72 shots from the tactical squads. 

But I can see where you are coming from, and if I drop the two tactical squads down to five man squads with Lascannons, drop the extra armour from the LRC, as well as one marine from the Dev's, I can get 6 more bikes in there.  Granted, they won't have any special weapons, but they do increase the amount of bolter shots that are kicked out around the Crusader, and I can still keep the Lascannons to help punch armour.

Or I drop one full squad, keeping just the one Lascannon squad at 10 men, drop one devastator, keep the extra armour on the crusader, and that allows me to add 6 bikes with 2 flamers.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 02:01:42 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 07:06:48 PM »
So the tournament is next Saturday, and I just want to report on how a test game had gone last week.  I played against the LGS owner testing out one of the scenarios he has planned for the tournament.

The scenario is a modified kill points with a Vanguard deployment.  Instead of being one kill point for every enemy unit that is destroyed, each unit in your army can only claim one kill point.  While a simple change, it really does make you think about firing priorities.  Is the shooting from A going to be enough to wipe out a unit?  Should you fire something first to soften them up?  Will the fire from a unit that already has a kill point accidentally wipe them out, negating you getting a kill point for a fresh squad?

The list I took was what we discussed above:

HQ
Sammael:  Corvex.

Command Squad:  Standard of Devastation.

Troops
5 Tactical Marines:  Lascannon

5 Tactical Marines:  Lascannon

Ravenwing Attack Squadron:  6 bikes w/ 2 Melta guns

Ravenwing Attack Squadron:  6 bikes w/ 2 Plasma guns

Ravenwing Attack Squadron:  6 bikes w/ no special weapons.

Heavy Support
Land Raider Crusader.

6 Devastators:  4 Plasma Cannons.

Imperial Knight
Knight Paladin.

He took Tau with White Scar allies.  The list was something along these lines:

Ethereal
Commander

8 Pathfinders
12 fire warriors
6 fire warriors
3 broadsides w/ lots'o'missiles
Rip tide with the gun that goes barrage when you power up the core
Sky ray
big mob of kroot, 20 perhaps.

Marine bike commander w/ artificer & Storm shield
5 TH/SS terminators
10 bikes w/ grav gun, attack bike w/ multi melta.

With the advice from here as well as some advice from the LGS's forums, the fight was a pretty decisive victory, all things considered.  The Lascannon squads didn't do much, but they did kill outflanking kroot.  For most of the fight, the Devastators were out of range, but towards the end of the game he did throw his remaining bikes away because he really didn't have a chance of catching up in points (he had 4 bikes left, I killed one, they fled off the table). 

I did find that being able to throw one of the squad of bikes up a flank, either the melta or plasma bikes (in this case the plasma for broadside hunting), along with ramming the Paladin down his throat, supported by bolter fire from the other two bikes to be very effective.  There are so many threats he has to deal with in such a short period of time before they make it to his lines that he isn't really focused on the three units hurling 72 bolter shells his way.

I was able to spread my fire around in such a way that by the scenario I was able to nab 4 kill points to his 1.  The reason he was only able to get 1, is that most of his units just weren't able to get the job done, and then his Rip Tide would mop up.  If we had gone off of standard kill points, it still would have been a 6-5 win for me, but a lot closer.

Overall I am quite pleased with how the list works, even though 3 units were pretty much out of the fight for the majority of the game.  I am looking forward to seeing it in action on Saturday and will be sure to post a tournament report with as many details as I can remember about how things went.
I knew I had fans!!!