News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)  (Read 57474 times)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)
« Reply #340 on: June 8, 2018, 10:02:29 PM »
Alrighty, I caved and added a light wash of Sepia and I was so disappointed. The whole thing darkened so much that I lost the whole contrast effect on the wings. Trying to save them, I proceeded to add successive layers of of drybrushed Pallid Wych Flesh and light washes to try and keep the definition, but get back that light contrast. I hope it still translates, but after 3 layers I'm done trying to tweak them. Tried my hand at adding a meniscus line to the vials on the packs. Not super stoked with how they turned out, but I think I'm happier with the effect than if I painted them a solid colour.

Finished off my Klaivex as well. I know they can't take demiklaives anymore, but he was modelled before the change and it helps differentiate him from the others.

Celebrating my 40th this week and I was hoping to get a game or two in on Saturday. Bought a new dice cube that will hopefully bring some luck from the dice gods.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2018, 10:15:26 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #341 on: June 9, 2018, 12:50:48 AM »
Happy 40th!

Love your colors, so rich. Wings look really good. I know you said pain in the butt but sometimes beauty comes outta horrible, well done. The bases are really nice, love the green against the purple armor, I mean POP! The blue is the topper on the cake.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #342 on: June 9, 2018, 01:43:24 AM »
Nice DoW! Great improvements all round. The wings look super organic now, so much more definition.

The bases are zingy as all hell too and really draw the eye to the model. You are definitely going to have one of the most eye-catching armies out the by the time this project is complete.

Great work, well done.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #343 on: June 9, 2018, 07:43:19 AM »
Hey DoW I think everything came out fantastic. Personally I like the wings a lot more now and I think you did a great job on the vials. The bases also look great. I love how the Scourge look like they are perched on a lake of acid, which just screams 40k.

Also happy birthday my man! Major milestone so I'm glad you are celebrating with some gaming. I hope the Dice Gods show you favor. Hopefully you can give us a little battle-report if you can. I hope you bring your DE! Anyway good luck bud and again happy birthday!

EDIT: Also if you are looking for something similar to Hashat Copper try Balthasar Gold. Hashat Copper is the highlight for that... Balthasar is one of the great GW paints and Hashat goes on like a dream as a highlight over Balthasar. Give it a whirl!
« Last Edit: June 9, 2018, 07:44:33 AM by Cavalier »
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #344 on: June 10, 2018, 05:21:22 PM »
Thanks guys glad you like them.

So I ended up making it to my local gaming store and while I did have to wait around a few hours to find someone that didn't already have a game setup, who I ended up playing was a great guy. Just my luck it was the knight codex release that weekend and guess what I ended up facing. Never played against a knight list before, but this one was apparently an pretty competitive list. We originally planned for 1500 points, but with his new codex he effectively dropped it down to 1350, so I had to trim a little. I'm not sure his load outs, but I'm sure some of you can figure it out from the photos. My opponent suggested we play with the Total War deck, which I never had, but I'd give it a go. We ended up getting The Prize as the objective, which is essentially The Relic and there was a start of turn bonus where one of our units gained back d3 wounds. Our deployment had one player in the center of the board and the opponent on the outside. The objective was to be placed dead center of the board. I knew I would be going second, as I was told that because he had less drops he would go first (assumed this was a Total War thing, as that changed to just a +1 to see who goes first), so I decided to take the outer edges and hide my guys as best as possible. I rolled to steal, and guess who rolled a 6.

Well that changes plans. I popped my talos out from behind a building and use the haywire blasters to remove six wounds from one of the big boys. A dark lance takes off another four. His turn he heals a wound and unloads everything into my talos. With a lot of miffed hits and great invulnerable saves I only lose one and another takes three wounds. He charges one of his armigers into a talos, fails the range, but uses a command point to make it. Even though he doesn't charge two talos he ends up placing the small knight close enough to a second. His combat fails to yield results and my talos strip off four of his wounds. His untouched knight takes the objective.

My turn I pull back the talos and drop the scourges to their left and right if order to take out a knight. All my shooting takes out the one armiger but that's about it. Certainly a very crummy round of shooting.

His turn he shoots up the remaining talks and charges the remaining armiger into the blaster scourges and a knight into the shredder scourges. Needless to say nothing of mine survives the onslaught.

On my next turn I drop in the mandrakes. Their baleblasts take two mortal wounds of the damaged knight. Blaster shots and dark lances take him alll the way down to two wounds.

All these mortal wounds are scaring the opponent and he tries resurgence of the machine spirit stratagem. I counter with agents of vector and succeed into stopping it, gaining back a command point.

He proceeds to annihilate my haemonculus with his armiger and knight. His other knight takes off four wounds from a raider. My next turn I completely fluff all rolls and fail to kill the knight that only had two wounds left, which on his following turn gains three of them back. He proceeds to blow up a raider. I lose two warriors and two mandrakes to the resulting explosion. In my turn one of my blasters finally finished off the wounded knight. I take a few more wounds off the last armiger as well with some dark lances. On his very last turn the armiger shots up and then charges and destroys a raider. The game ends automatically at the end of turn five. I still have two lance raiders and a dissy raider, a few mandrakes, three almost full five man squads with a blaster, a few mandrakes, and two archons. He has a undamaged knight and an armiger at half strength.

It was certainly an interesting game and I continue to learn the strengths and weaknesses of my dark kin. Haywire was very effective, as were dark lances, when they hit. Changing to all disintegrator cannons may work more in my favour. Love my talos, but I may need something to support them. The game would have been very different if I had started in the middle and seized the prize first or if we had played maelstrom. My mobility would have trumped his armour and dakka.

I also picked up that Balthasar Gold you suggested Cav. I'll be trying it out on my second unit of scourges this week, so I'll let you know how it goes.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 09:17:05 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #345 on: June 11, 2018, 06:42:22 AM »
Hey DoW great to see your dudes in action, but man, very tough match-up. I have to say I'm not a fan of Imperial Knights as an army. I think DE are one of the best counters to them because of all the blasters we can pack into each unit of warriors, but its just one of those things, where if you aren't geared up to deal with them, a random pickup game can quickly become a total waste of time.

So I'm sorry if I'm not reading this correctly (I've yet to finish my first cup of coffee) but who won? It seems like you really went to town on the guy, so I'm hoping its you bud!

What were your feelings on playing against the Knights? Myself personally, I am not a fan. As standalone units they are great and I love seeing them, but as an army I just dont think it makes for a fun experience unless you know you are facing them (and actually own the models to counter them).

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #346 on: June 11, 2018, 07:58:26 AM »
He ended up winning as he had the prize at the end of turn five. I didn't read the cards in depth enough and see that the game ended automatically end the end of turn five. I was hoping to charge in on the last turn and unload my blasters and blast pistols into the last knight. I blame the decades of my playing orks, as I'm so used to ignore the objective of the game and just aim at killing my opponent. As I've never faced knights before, my own personal objective was to bring one of those bad boys down. I literally cheered when I toppled the one.

How did I feel about facing them? As you said, coming unprepared to face them is a little disheartening. A lot of my official list is very ineffective against them. In a maelstrom game, I think I would have wrecked him in points, but the total war mission was completely in his favour. The fact that his whole army got cheaper and he got some pretty devastating close combat attacks to deal with infantry makes them that much more broken. The fact that I was able to successfully being down two knights by the end of turn five and throughout the game people kept coming by saying how cheesy the knight list was, actually made me feel pretty good. I don't think I'd play them in another pickup game, but if I knew ahead of time what I was facing, I think I'd give them another go. With the right tools and mobility, they don't seem that daunting to face. Especially if you're playing maelstrom.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:59:59 AM by dog_of_war »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #347 on: June 11, 2018, 09:32:04 AM »
I think you did really well against those Knights. It's such a tough match up if you aren't prepared for facing them. Conversely, if you had been playing a game with multiple objectives, the Knights players would likely have been screwed...and that's the problem with Knights as a stand alone force; they need to be played with at least a small force of allies that can provide boots on the ground.

Still, it's great to see your boys and girls in action; especially when you fought so hard. I think if you managed to take down that knight 1 turn earlier, you could have had a real chance of pulling off the upset. Great update DoW.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #348 on: June 26, 2018, 02:03:38 PM »
First off, like everyone else I love your new scourge wings :) might be a bit nervewracking but it's a definite improvement! Wash+drybrush (or drybrush+wash) is my entire painting technique ;)

Next up, awesome game dude :) really held your own against a nasty list. Bit of a hell yeah moment with your opening volley ;) if the dice had been a little kinder you'd have wiped out his wounded knight easily ;)

Solid outing for the True Kin ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #349 on: July 8, 2018, 05:12:45 PM »
Thanks guys. I think next time I`ll be better prepared to face off against knights, I will fair much better.

Had some vacation time to take, so I was able to crank out some paint jobs and I was even able to get together for a game with my Barrie buddy`s Emperor`s Children that I haven`t faced in over a year.

First up were my shredder scourges. Still need a little more debris on the bases and I`m toying with the idea of adding veins to the wings to try and make them appear more translucent.

Next is my first archon. Still needs some of the metal highlights, but I have been itching to show it off.

Now for the battle report. My friend wanted to keep it simple, so even though he picked up the data cards, we played without command points, strategems, or tactical objectives. It was a simple 4'x4' with a 12" deployment from the board edge. We played 75 power points and while my force was built into detachment's we didn't worry too much about how his force was organized.

Silent Scream 75 PP

Battalion
Archon
Drazhar

5 incubi
5 kabalite warriors blaster, blast pistol, agonizer
5 kabalite warriors blaster, blast pistol, agonizer
10 kabalite warriors blaster, dark lance

3 raiders dark lance
1 raider disintegrator

5 scourge blasters
5 scourge shredders

Spearhead
Haemoculus hex rifle
Talos
Talos
Talos

Emperor's Children 73 PP

Chaos Lord
Sorcerer

10 Noise Marines sonic blasters, 2 blastmasters
10 Noise Marines sonic blasters, 2 blastmasters
10 possessed
Rhino

3 bikers
3 obliterators
3 obliterators

Turn 1 (Dark Eldar)

Move all the raiders to the right side of the board. The dark lances take care of the first two bikers and the last is removed by the talos' splinter cannons.

Turn 1 (Chaos)

He moves up his rhino. Havoc launcher fires into a raider causing two wounds, which I save. Sonic blasters fire into a talos and I end up taking 3 unsvaed wounds. Blaster masters from the closest unit focus beam fire on the talos causing 3 wounds, which are saved with my invulnerable. The farthest noise marines fire their blastmasters as well, but fail to damage the talos. He attempts to charge the rhino into a talos, but fails to make the necessary box cars.

Turn 2 (Dark Eldar)

Talos move back out of range of the sonic blasters. Three dark lances do 1, 0, and 6 wounds on the rhino destroying it, resulting in one possessed dying from the destruction. Four noise marines die from the remaining dark lance, disintegrator, and splinter cannons.

Turn 2 (Chaos)

He drops in both units of obliterators in front of my raiders and advance the possessed towards my talos. Sorcerer manifest delightful agonies giving a unit of obliterators feel no pain. He fires both units of obliterators into the raiders. The first unit causes 3 wounds, which I save only one. The second unit hits, but fails to wound. All four of his blastmasters fire into the same raider and strip another two wounds.

Turn 3 (Dark Eldar)

I move my three talos up to intercept the obliterators. Firing of dark lances, splinter cannons and rifles, blasters and distintegrator take out two obliterators from one unit and take two damage off one in the other unit. The talos charge in, losing a wound to overwatch. I succeed in charging all three talos into the two units of obliterators and kill the three models left remaining unscathed myself.

Turn 3 (Chaos)

Realizing that he can`t continue to sit back and try and take me at range he advances both of his noise marine squads to attempt and get them into range of my units. The possessed move up to engage the talos. His sorcerer smites the most wounded talos and removes 3 mortal wounds, leaving him on a single wound. Sonic blasters fire to no effect, but his final wound is finally removed by two blastmasters. The second set of blastmasters fire into an unharmed talos and remove two wounds, the sonic blasters in that unit still out of range. The possessed charge a talos and take a wound to overwatch. They fail to cause any damage in assualt, while the talos removes one of their number.

Turn 4 (Dark Eldar)

It`s now time for both units of scourges to come in. I place them in front of the still full unit of noise marines on the far flank. I proceed to back them up with a dark lance raider with a full 10 man warrior squad. The other two dark lance raiders with 5 warrior units and the disintegrator raider with the incubi move up to the half squad of noise marines. The single talos falls back from the combat with the possessed.

My shooting turn simply annihilates his forces. The shreeder scourges dump out 23 shots and cause 14 wounds. He only makes 5 saves and his unit is wiped from the board leaving the lone chaos lord. The blaster scourge take the lord down to a single wound. The dark lance on the raider and in the squad flub their rolls, as does the squads blaster, but luckily the rapid fire splinter rifles finish the job. On the other side of the table my blasters, blast pistols, dark lances, and disintegrators wipe out the remaining second noise marine squad. It`s at this point we call the game, as he`s only left with the possessed.

While it was a fun game, I have to admit I felt my opponent was quite outgunned. We talked at length about what changes he could make going forward and I felt it really boiled down to working on his army composition. As we were playing power points, the dark eldar really min/maxed their options better than the marines did, as I was able to flood the table with a ton of dark light. He also had a lot of options that just felt either redundant or not worth the power points. The possessed cost as much as a full squad of noise marines or several points more than a regular chaos marine squad, which would have given him much more utility. The obliterators too seemed not worth their cost, as it seemed they seemed to suffer much from the edition shift. (He had also mistakenly placed them far to close to my units, only 9" away, as he misinterpreted the rule as needed to be 9" away from my units rather than a minimum of more than 9" away.

Stars of the game were really the shredder scourges, wiping out a full squad of noise marines in one shooting phase and the talos for wiping out the obliterators in combat and doing damage where needed with their cannons and drawing fire away from my delicate gun boats. It was a shame Drazhar and his incubi didn't taste any powered armour this fight, but I'm sure there's much more where these ones came from.

« Last Edit: July 8, 2018, 05:14:32 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #350 on: July 9, 2018, 07:08:26 AM »
Thanks for the report DoW. I look forward to any rematch you guys may have...it sounds as though your opponent was very ring rusty and needed to blow off some cobwebs. Even so, well done on the victory!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #351 on: July 10, 2018, 02:42:12 AM »
Hey DoW, your army is developing into excellent shape! What Obssessions did you use in the game against chaos?

Also, in the latest batrep it sounds like you deep-struck the Scourges - if so, you robably did it on turn 3 rather than 4? Units in reserve have to arrive by the end of turn 3 per basic rules.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #352 on: July 10, 2018, 07:20:15 AM »
Thanks for pointing that out Seekingone, is that part of the BRB? I only have a copy of the primer rules that we've been playing with and it seems to only say they need to arrive by the end of the battle or be destroyed.

It would be good to know if that is a competitive rule, so that I don't make the same mistake at a competition.

I have to say the biggest lesson I learned this game was patience. I normally bring in my deepstrikers right away and they normally get blown away next turn. It was much more advantageous to bring them in when they would do the most damage and face the least retribution.

The obsessions I used were Kabal of The Black Heart for the advanced power from pain and the feel no pain save on the transports and Prophets of Flesh for the better invulnerable save for the talos which was super useful.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #353 on: July 10, 2018, 03:17:05 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out Seekingone, is that part of the BRB? I only have a copy of the primer rules that we've been playing with and it seems to only say they need to arrive by the end of the battle or be destroyed.
It's actually part of the Matched Play rules. Page 215 of BRB, "Tactical Reserves" rule. It has been heavily modified by the latest big FAQ, but that version of the rules is Beta - but still I'd recommend reading it in the FAQ pdf on the Warhammer Community site. Anyway, in both versions the rule requires all units in a Matched Play game to arrive no later than turn 3 or be destroyed.

I have to say the biggest lesson I learned this game was patience. I normally bring in my deepstrikers right away and they normally get blown away next turn. It was much more advantageous to bring them in when they would do the most damage and face the least retribution.
That's a really good lesson indeed - it's one of those things that are very easy to forget.

The obsessions I used were Kabal of The Black Heart for the advanced power from pain and the feel no pain save on the transports and Prophets of Flesh for the better invulnerable save for the talos which was super useful.
Very good choices. 6+ FnP is awesome on vehicles! And CP farming as well as THE stratagem are great too.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #354 on: July 10, 2018, 03:35:51 PM »
Awesome Bat Rep, Dog of War, glad to hear your Dark Eldar are a force to be reckoned with! I agree that your opponent did not bring the greatest list for fighting Dark Eldar, but if he was playing with what he had, then better than no game at all :). Hope both of you guys had fun! Cannot wait to see more Dark Eldar on both the Paint Table and the Battlefield!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #355 on: August 4, 2018, 11:44:19 AM »
@DoW- Glorious! Glad to see you racking up wins with your DE. Thrilled to see you running Shredder Scourge, I can use my "counts-as Warp Spiders" which are Corsairs with shredders in the same capacity (2x squads of them!). Great stuff man. Way to go on those Knights too, the photos are amazing BTW. What a great table!

Anyway great stuff DoW love it!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #356 on: October 28, 2018, 12:14:30 PM »
Well it's been overly too long in posting. I've had zero time for any hobby stuff or games in the last three months, as I've been losing managers at my work left, right, and center and being the only one on salary I've been having to pick up the slack.

This past week I've finally been able to take some of that time in lieu that's been owed me and I was able to get back into the hobby.

Being Orktober I had to go back to my roots and boslter the klan.

I've loved this model forever and I was finally able to pick one up for a half decent price on eBay. This was also the first model I painted in parts before building it and I'm ecstatic with what I was able to accomplish.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #357 on: October 28, 2018, 02:17:55 PM »
Glorious addition to the Greentide, DoW! I also love Ork Kommandos, really cool thematic unit. This Kommando is masterfully painted. I'm sure that my only critique is work of the camera, but the red power klaw doesn't look highlighted for the most part. I can see highlights around some of the slits in the poewr klaw, which makes me think that the rest is highlighted and I'm blind :P, but I cannot see much else.

Other than that, another stellar model! Great work ;D.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 02:19:13 PM by Myen'Tal »
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #358 on: October 28, 2018, 04:16:47 PM »
That looks great DoW. Love how much character they puti into the Ork mini's.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #359 on: October 29, 2018, 01:45:39 AM »
They are perfect. The one thing orks never really need is highlights on anything but their skin. Bold heavy colors on everything else works soooo well.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword