News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rogue Trader-esque Warbands and Character Conversions, and anything else I fancy  (Read 48538 times)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Cool updates Ynnead. It's always interesting to learn where your ideas come from...you put way more effort into the how and the why than I could ever hope to do and it really shows through in the unified look of all your disparate races.

Also, I only just realised that all of your photos are taken on top of Darwin's 'On the Origin of Species' book. So very fitting. Well played Sir!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Ah, thought of that one too ;) I've got a little fluff snippet queued up for that:

Tech level? Schizophrenic, as per most technobarbarian worlds. Functions of which knowledge was remembered and which forgotten. Palisade walls and widespread bionics. Firearms, but single shot and rare. Must have been stranded with a biologis magos but no armoury officer.

So yeah, the idea being that their tech level is mainly determined by who else got stranded down with them (and what bits of tech they can salvage from the battlefields in the early years).

Nice, I thought that you would have thought this through already.

It is not my place to query your fluff, but due to the quasi religious nature of the relationship between a Magos and machines I firmly believe that a Magos would rather die than operate on scum/aliens.

On the other hand I could believe a story about a rogue Painboy or maybe a nearby Feral Ork tribe. I could also believe a story that involved an Haemonculus that would use the installation of the bionics as a way of getting the rest of the body that the bionics were originally installed on.

Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Ynnead, your stuff gives me chills every time I look at them! Any army facing that force would be facing down a great sense of unease, I suspect ;D (in a good way). I cannot believe all of this skill and love you're putting into each and every one of your models, really crazy how many of them you've converted and kit bashed together. Ever thought about approaching a miniatures company with your ideals ;)?
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
@Loosh Thanks dude :) it's all this nitty gritty worldbuilding stuff that I love :) whenever I'm bored at work it's great to pick an aspect of my little dudes and do the recursive 'but why?' game that 5-year olds do :) takes you down all sorts of twists and turns for inspiration :)

Oh, and yeah I thought the book would be a fitting backdrop ;)

@Alienscar Oh yeah I'm with you that a bona-fide magos would never grace anyone so lowly with their sacred technology. What I was more thinking is that it's not necessarily prohibitively difficult for gutter-scum to jury-rig a scavenged bionic limb onto themselves (or have a local sawbones do it). Won't work as well as Ad Mech artistry, but should prevent the need for hobbling round on crutches ;)

Also, I love the idea of a haemonculus 'trading' mechanical bits for limbs and organs and stuff ;) lovely little subversion

MyenTal Haha thanks man :) glad you like them! I'm just having a blast mashing together little crows and stuff. Turns out they add up quite quickly!

I'd love to do something more with my little gribblies, but wasn't really sure what. I'd love to do a webcomic or indie game or something, but lack the skills at the moment :S

@Everyone Well I've got loads of new dudes to update you on, but need to collar my mate with the good camera :S

However, just come back from holiday to these beauties:

Sweet Mary Mother of Mutants. They're pretty much tailor made for crows! With a bit of tweaking they're also perfect for about a half-dozen different ideas I've had so I expect I'll be bankrupting myself on Cawdor sprues very shortly...

Image tags removed to avoid hotlinking - Iris.

@Iris How's that? Updated to my usual image hosting place :)

Yes, that's okay :) - Iris.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2018, 05:09:37 AM by Irisado »
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
I'm still anxiously awaiting the future-crow Cawdors, but until then here's a little distraction :)

They're hegri. Grey-herons. Hernshaws. Crow-fishers. Wade through the lowland salt-marshes hunting fish and birds. Mudlarks by any other name, just a different culture.

Cowardly things. Most of 'em got wiped out when the draugr came. Not much good for fighting anymore, but they make good scouts.

They've still got a few villages left, down on the heronmoors. Funny places. All built on stilts.

Complete and utter diversion, but I saw this piece of art while scrolling through IG and it was just too cool not to do something with.

http://payload66.cargocollective.com/1/7/238452/3620020/marshwalkers.jpg
Marshwalkers by Tom Simpson

Image tags have been removed from the Tom Simpson image to prevent hotlinking.  You know the drill if you want to post pictures :) - Iris.

Plus, I've had a neat idea about a wasteland scavenger using a bow with grenade-arrows for a while now and it's great to actually put that into plastic :)

Also, we've experimented somewhat with the photos for these. Not using the LEDs for the lightbox, but using diffuse natural light and a really long shutter. Still needs some fettling for brightness and it's a bit dependent on conditions, but you can see a lot more detail that would otherwise be obscured by shadow. Here's high res to take advantage of that :)

High res
High res
High res
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 06:16:35 PM by Irisado »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
Hmmm. Not sure what to think about these guys.

I love the concept. I love the art that inspired the work...and the models capture that look brilliantly.

The conversion work is top notch too, while the painting is to your usual high standard.

..just...something seems off.

I think it's the fact that they are a lot more static than your other work. I think that the dynamism that you manage to capture elsewhere really brings the story to life, while these seem that little bit more 2 dimensional.

Don't get me wrong, it's fantastic work all round...I just think more lively poses would help really take it to the next level that you've achieved with all of your most recent work.

Also, firing grenades on sticks? That's always a big win for me!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Absolutely get what you mean Loosh. While I've tried to give all of my dudes here non-combat poses, they've all been doing something. Whether it's scavenging bits or trudging along or pointing at something exciting.

These guys are a little static compared to that.

Part of that was intentional. As fishers (and herons specifically), they'd be less interested in actively stalking fish and tend to simply sit very still and wait for fish to come to them. I'd imagine their temperament to be the same. Simple, slow, patient, but very observant.

Doesn't necessarily translate to a model too well though!

I think the 28mm bases I've used to emphasise their skinnyness haven't helped either as there's less space for leg positioning, but 32mm bases get reserved for tough characters that need bisual weight which definitely isn't these guys!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
Hey Ynnead! My goodness, your work keeps getting better, even though I wouldn't think it possible ;)
Love the new quality level of the pictures too.

And I also do agree with what has been discussed some time ago: your work brilliantly captures that simultaneously creepy and fascinating spirit of 40k that is present in John Blanche's art. Awesome stuff! :)
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
More awesomeness :) would be a crazy force to see on the table

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
These dudes look awesome Y'nnead. I love the green tinge to the paint scheme. Getting some nice color into the mix is definitley a good decision at this point in the collections development. Also love the lankiness of the models as well. I'm a big fan of the posing myself. I like having a mix of more stationary and action packed dudes but thats just me.

Fantastic work as always brother. Crushed it!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
These dudes look awesome Y'nnead. I love the green tinge to the paint scheme. Getting some nice color into the mix is definitley a good decision at this point in the collections development. Also love the lankiness of the models as well. I'm a big fan of the posing myself. I like having a mix of more stationary and action packed dudes but thats just me.

Fantastic work as always brother. Crushed it!

Basically what Cav said :D, I also like the addition of new colors to the Crows, really makes them stand out. I can imagine the different clans that could result from a variation of color schemes. Would be a great sight to behold! Great work, Ynnead!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Haha thanks a ton guys :)

Probably getting a bit ahead of myself as I haven't got good photos of all the new additions yet, but my bigger lightbox arrived so I took a bit of a family photo ;)

Getting there ;) little larger than a Necromunda warband now, but not quite big enough for a 40k army. Was pricing them up as Renegades and Heretics and still have a little under 150pts :S

Back to our usual programming now with two more Crows. Thought the warband was getting a bit top-heavy so here's two more regular duders :) also started a bit of an odyssey into the myths ans history of the Crows, so that's our next stop :)

Curious, is it not, how such lowly scavengers could come to possess two ships as sizeable as Huginn and Muninn. At least, my employer certainly thinks so. Posing as a trader, for the Crows adore traders, I discovered that they pilot their vessels from an auxilliary bridge on the engineering decks. Sensing a lead in my enquiries I loosed a number of my diminutive spy-skulls into their halls and tunnels. While some appear to have been eaten by the feral beasts that roam their decks, the survivors reported some astonishing revelations. Upon the true bridge of the Muninn there lies the corpse of an ancient Astartes, bearing the legionary insignia of the XIX, resplendant still in the commander's chair. The crow-mutants appear to have constructed a makeshift shrine around it, with offerings of bone, food and trinkets littering the area.

This is but the first clue of the myths and origins of the Crows. More to come! Til then, here's high res photos :)

High res
High res
High res
High res

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
That shrine is amazing! Awesome back story too. It's all starting to come together now.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Looking freaking awesome! Man that shrine of candles and what not is sick!!! I am sensing some cursed founding Ravenguard lore inbound!  Damn man this collection of models is unbelievably cool. The work of a true hobbyist. Great stuff bud keep rocking!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
Goodness, now that's a twist! Can't express how awed I am by both the pics and the narrative. Absolutely gorgeous!
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
wow the group shot looks great and that shrine is fantasic

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Great story and minis to boot. Love the candles.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
What a brilliant twist Ynnead. I was genuinely smiling all the way through your post...the narrative is excellent and the models and the creativity behind them is terrific.

Really great work mate.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks guys! Really glad you like him (and the fluff!) :) eventually I plan to pull him off his base and ensconce him in a proper derelict bridge-shrine scenery tile, but he'll do for now :)

For now, here's the next part of the tale ;)

Sadly, my spy-devices had reached an impasse while searching the lower decks. I let slip my hosts, and delved down into the darkened vessel. Bypassing secured bulkheads, a derelict laboratory opened before my eyes. Rank upon rank of replicae tanks stretched along the low walls of the chamber. I'm ashamed to admit a gasp of shock escaped my lips upon discovering one was still occupied!

While quite dead, the specimen was clearly a crow, remarkably preserved in the amniotic fluid. Curiosity piqued, I fired up the ancient and dusted databanks. Imagine my revulsion upon learning that this crow began life as human! It now appeared to be some form of hybrid, bearing ill-formed mockeries of the Emperor's holiest implants. But why would the astartes of antiquity conduct such gruesome research? To what end? And how had they met their demise? All these thoughts raced through my mind.

Hope you like the next twist and turn! There should be enough here now to piece together their origins, if you know your XIX ;) you're nearly on the money Cav, but their history stretches a little further back than the cursed founding ;)

Sadly, the photo isn't quite up to standard on this one. Had to take it with my regular point-and-shoot as it missed the boat for the DSLR and the difference in visible detail is quite a lot when looking at the high res version.

Still, helps move the story along :) about time too as it's the second one I've made! The first I trialled clear resin casting inside the chamber but it turned out a bit milky and ruined it :S

Oh, and now I'm just itching to get hold of the Cawdor models. The next part of the story probably needs one, so they'd better hurry up and release them!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
GROOVY COOL! really eye catching and the story is coming along great.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword