News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Mattler's Mathhammer (8th): Aeldari Heavy Weapons  (Read 3038 times)

Offline The Mattler

• Armies: Eldar
The Mattler's Mathhammer (8th): Aeldari Heavy Weapons
« on: November 19, 2017, 11:51:35 PM »
Dedication
This article is dedicated to Odras of TheWarmaster40k, who invoked the ghost of my previous article series as soon as 8th edition dropped.  It has been a long time coming, but hopefully I'll be able to write several of these articles in the next couple few months.

Introduction
I originally intended to write this article about the Aeldari Troops, but halfway through I realized that it would be useful to set up future articles with a dicussion of the most common heavy weapon choices available to the Aeldari.  Each edition has produced slight tweaks to the Shuriken Cannon, Scatter Laser, Starcannon, Bright Lance, and Aeldari Missile Launcher, so this article attempts to quantify the differences between these weapons in 8th edition, then discuss how that information affects their selection for various units.  For the most part, I will be following my standard presentation format for the article, which lays down the conditions of the calculations (because context is critical), the target types, the units themselves, their offensive and defensive efficiency in terms of points spent/lost per wound inflicted/suffered.  I will follow the results of the calculations with commentary on the relative performance of each unit, and attempt to address additional considerations that might affect the decision to include a given unit in an army.  You will see some repetition in each section (mainly explaining methodology) because I want each of these articles to stand on their own, but I encourage you to read those preamble paragraphs anyway, since I include commentary unique to the current analysis.

Copyright
My articles assume that readers can access the relevant rules documents, so stats and points costs will be minimized to facilitate posting and updates across multiple forums, some of which have strict rules regarding the publication of intellectual property.

Purpose, Probability, and Personality
40k is both a game and a hobby.  I play the Eldar faction for its fluff and model range, but I can't use them in a game without understanding the rules.  Every rule in 40k can be reduced to a number, and 'psychology' is often a euphemism for exploiting another player's ignorance of probability.  The method I am using finds averages, benchmarks providing a realistic impression of units performance over many games.  When I say that one model inflicts X wounds on another per point spent, that's different from the output of a binomial distribution, which would tell you how likely it is for that model to inflict 1, 2, 3, etc. wounds on its target.  However, the averages of my method and those of the binomial distribution are the same.  Some folks assert that these calculations don't produce anything that can't be observed from experience playing many games.  That assertion is correct in principle, but complicated by the game's history.  Changes to 40k over time have made conclusions drawn from defunct rules interactions obsolete, and older players often retain biases that lead to mistakes (and subsequent rationalizations) that would have been avoidable with careful re-evaluation following an edition change.  It's also nice to be able to give newer players adaptable tools to evaluate units instead of insisting that they drive their tactical and purchasing decisions solely based on limited data from the slowly expanding sample of the games they play.  When I started collecting Games Workshop's models and playing their games two decades ago, I would have liked to have seen more community organization to help players of all sorts enjoy hobby, and articles like this one are my contribution to such a community.  Please point out any mistakes you see in my work, so that I can improve the resource I am attempting to build.

Assumptions and Parameters
1. All weapons in range unless otherwise noted.  Even Shuriken Catapults have rapid delivery systems these days through Strategems.
2. Firing models are stationary (or treated as such) unless otherwise noted, but I'll try to mention the cases when moving matters
3. A unit will use its most effective weapon on the  target, if it must choose.  I will note the weapon or fire mode accordingly.
4. Neither the attacker nor defender are in cover, although other articles will take cover into account if a unit is specialized for cover (e.g., Rangers, Scorpions).
5. Damage per attack is capped at the target's max wounds.  This can be a bit tricky for random damage, so I'll give you an example: if a W2 model suffers a D6 damage attack, the average number of wounds inflicted is (1 x 1/6) + (2 x 5/6) = 1.83.  If the target was W3 instead, the average number of wounds inflicted would be (1 x 1/6) + (2 x 1/6) + (3 x 4/6) = 2.50.

Targets
The purpose of these articles is to deliver unit evaluations with correct (but not comprehensive) calculations, so I decided to limit my target array to one profile per Toughness from 3-8, plus a Terminator profile because I wanted a W2 comparison with Space Marine bikers.  Note that only one profile has an invulnerable save; considering how AP works now, I didn't think it was a big deal, especially because the vehicle profiles tend not to have invulnerable saves.  There are exceptions (especially Primarchs) but for the moment they're beyond the scope of the broad comparisons I'm doing.

GEQ AS infantry, Guardians, little bugs in cover, etc.
MEQ Space Marines in their 50 shades of bland
TEQ Regular Terminators (no Storm Shields)
BEQ Space Marine Bikers
LVEQ T6, 3+, W6
MVEQ T7, 3+, W12
HVEQ T8, 3+, W26

Aeldari Heavy Weapons: Raw Damage
Before I examine these weapons mounted on platforms, I thought it best to update my Aeldari heavy weapons table.  It shows the raw damage output at BS3+, in wounds inflicted, of the various heavy weapons available to most Aeldari hardpoints against targets in the open.  The number in parentheses shows how the damage output of (most of) the weapons decreases when they move.  The differences in cost between these weapons is usually small compared to that of the model mounting them, especially when it comes to the Aeldari tanks, so at a glance the damage output is often sufficient to choose a weapon...but that's not the whole story.  The AML uses Starburst missiles for GEQ/MEQ targets, and Starshot missiles for all others.  Green numbers indicate the highest damage vs. a given target, and blue numbers indicate the second highest damage vs. a given target. 

GEQMEQTEQBEQVLEQMVEQHVEQ
Shuriken Cannon1.22(1.22)0.61(0.61)0.39(0.39)0.61(0.61)0.50(0.50)0.39(0.39)0.39(0.39)
Scatter Laser1.48(1.11)0.59(0.44)0.30(0.22)0.59(0.44)0.44(0.33)0.30(0.22)0.30(0.22)
Starcannon1.11(0.83)0.74(0.56)0.99(0.74)1.23(0.93)1.11(0.83)0.74(0.56)0.74(0.56)
Bright Lance0.56(0.42)0.56(0.42)0.68(0.51)0.81(0.61)1.55(1.17)1.55(1.17)1.17(0.88)
Aeldari Missile Launcher1.30(0.97)0.58(0.44)0.51(0.38)0.54(0.41)1.04(0.78)1.04(0.78)0.78(0.58)

At this point, since I listed those weapons in order of cost, you should be suspicious of the Scatter Laser and the AML.  Keep these results in mind when you see the offensive efficiency of the various Guardian Heavy Weapons Platforms.

Unit Configurations
Generally, you'll see me comparing what I think of as "minimal functional units", which are efficient model or unit configurations that can be duplicated without changing their efficiency.  Most of the time these minimal functional units will be single models, but Exarchs and other special weapon choices can result in multiple models being lumped together.  In this article, I will be comparing the Guardian Heavy Weapons Platforms:

GDShC Guardian Defender w/Shuriken Cannon platform
GDSL Guardian Defender w/Scatter Laser platform
GDStC Guardian Defender w/Starcannon platform
GDBL Guardian Defender w/Bright Lance platform
GDAML Guardian Defender w/Aeldari Missile Launcher platform

I chose the Guardians instead of a War Walker, Vyper, Wraithlord, etc. to carry these weapons because they are the cheapest way to field them, and so are also the best way to emphasize the differences in efficiency between them.  8th edition is more forgiving than its predecessors in this regard, since all units can now split fire, and every unit is able to damage any other unit.  To put it another way, you aren't punished for mixing weapons within a unit because you're much less likely to waste firepower.  Note that I have assigned a Guardian to each platform, since the platform is useless without a Guardian to fire it.  The resilience calculations are also affected, with the Guardian being killed as well.

Offensive Efficiency
The following table shows each unit's offensive efficiency expressed as points per wound (PPW) inflicted.  In parentheses, normal numbers denote PPW when moving.  Lower numbers are better.  Again, the AML uses Starburst for GEQ/MEQ, and Starshot for all others.  Similarly to the previous table, green numbers indicate the highest offensive efficiency vs. a given target, and blue numbers indicate the second highest offensive efficiency vs. a given target.

GEQMEQTEQBEQLVEQMVEQHVEQ
GDShC18.82(18.82)37.64(37.64)59.14(59.14)37.64(37.64)46.00(46.00)59.14(59.14)59.14(59.14)
GDSL15.53(18.52)38.81(51.75)77.63(103.50)38.81(51.75)51.75(69.00)77.63(103.50)77.63(103.50)
GDStC25.20(33.60)37.80(50.40)28.35(37.80)22.68(30.24)25.20(33.60)37.80(50.40)37.80(50.40)
GDBL59.40(79.20)59.40(79.20)48.60(64.80)40.50(54.00)21.21(28.29)21.21(28.29)28.29(37.71)
GDAML29.31(39.09)65.14(86.86)74.62(99.49)69.95(93.27)36.64(48.86)36.64(48.86)48.86(65.14)

Now that you see the efficiency figures, it's hard to justify fielding Scatter Lasers or AMLs, but I'll get into the details a bit later.

Resilience
The following table displays the average number of points of each unit killed per attack (PKA) of six different weapons.   The plasma weapon is not supercharged.  Again, lower numbers are better.

BoltgunHeavy BolterAssault CannonPlasmaKrak MissileLascannon
GDShC1.361.972.463.764.848.01
GDSL1.361.972.463.764.848.01
GDStC1.662.392.994.585.909.75
GDBL1.962.823.525.396.9511.49
GDAML2.253.244.066.218.0113.24

This table is here mainly to demonstrate a principle that new players sometimes have trouble understanding: cost and durability are inversely proportional to one another.  Since games of 40k are usually played with a points (or Power Level) limit, you might have the toughest model in the game, but if if it costs a disproportionate number of points, then it will fare poorly against an equivalent value of enemy models.  In the case of these heavy weapon platforms, the more expensive guns effectively have fewer wounds per point spent, and so make it easier for your opponent to reduce deplete your forces with a given amount of firepower.  In future articles, this kind of table will be more useful because the units under discussion will have have more varied defenses.

Evaluation
There's a enormous amount of useful information to be gleaned from the tables above, but context is crucial.  Although the raw numbers tell you the relative capabilities of the units under discussion, they aren't useful outside of evaluating the units in roles the units will play in an army.  Previous articles tended to compare units in a specific role, but 8th edition has changed how I do my evaluation because every unit is now able to split fire, and every unit is now able to damage every other unit.  Therefore, I'm going to organize my commentary on a per-unit basis instead of by offensive efficiency, resilience, etc.

Shuriken Cannon
Cheap and versatile.  If you need more anti-infantry firepower without sacrificing much anti-tank capability, the Shuriken Cannon is the best of the standard Aeldari heavy weapons.  Place it on mobile platforms in particular, since it pulls ahead of all but the most specialized weapons against T<6 single and multiwound models whilst on the move.  The relative short range puts the unit at greater risk of retaliation, sounds that mobility to limit exposure to fire lanes.  You'll need some dedicated anti-tank weapons too, though.

Scatter Laser
Oh, how the mighty have fallen!  The only targets the Scatter Laser can kill more efficiently than the Shuriken Cannon are GEQs and squishy Daemons.  Before you get too excited about the Scatter Laser's 15.53 PPW vs. GEQs, consider this: a Swooping Hawk's Lasblaster has a 14.63 PPW vs. GEQs, and it's far more maneuverable.  Speaking of mobility, the Shuriken Cannon practically ties the Scatter Laser if the unit is moving, so if you're going to bother with Scatter Lasers at all, save them for stationary units or equip them on Saim-Hann Windriders.  Just be aware that they aren't as versatile when it comes to opportunistic attacks against vehicles compared to the Shuriken Cannon.

Starcannon
I would have suggested equipping a Wraithknight with Scatter Lasers, but the Starcannon completely displaces them on those hardpoints; if you ever field a Wraithknight without a pair of Starcannons, you're doing it wrong.  Solid performance across the board, with specialization against multi-wound heavy infantry and bikers, it remains dangerous to all vehicles as well, even whilst moving.

Bright Lance
The dedicated anti-tank option from the common heavy weapon list; brutal against vehicles even whilst moving, and stationary Bright Lances can also melt down smaller multi-wound models if necessary. 

Aeldari Missile Launcher
I saved the worst for last; the AML's high cost makes it a terrible gun because it simply pays too much for its versatility.  Its one honourable mention is that it's the second most efficient of the weapons discussed for killing most transports (MVEQs), but even then the more flexible Starcannon has comparable performance.  The AML's range would be an asset if Dark Reapers didn't exist and the Aeldari army was slow.  No, the Starhawk Missile Strategem is not a good enough reason to take an AML; the CPs are better spent elsewhere.

Heavy Weapon Platforms (in general)
Considering how all units can now split fire, Guardian HWPs are far more useful now compared to previous editions, especially considering the reduce costs of the weapons themselves.  Any Guardian Defender unit advancing up the field or holding an objective can benefit from a HWP of some sort.  Remember also that the HWP has a good armour save and multiple wounds, so if you find yourself wanting to spare some CPs or would rather have more living Guardians than an extra heavy weapon, use the HWP to absorb anti-infantry firepower, especially in cover.  Even when the HWP is destroyed you retain the use of the Guardian that was controlling it, so your firepower doesn't descrease quite as much as you might initially think.

Conclusions
The inevitable (albeit unsatisfying) closing remark is that taking a mix of Shuriken Cannons, Starcannons, and Bright Lances will serve you well against most armies, but you can leave the Scatter Lasers and AMLs at home.  Place the Shuriken Cannons on moving platforms unless you plan on using a Crystal Targeting Matrix or have the positioning skills to prevent unnecessary movement.  Guardians, for example, typically need to move constantly in order to to bring their Shuriken Catapults to bear, so the Shuriken Cannon manually the best choice for them.  Regarding specifically, not only do they add firepower to your army, but they can also protect your Guardians from an anti-infantry salvo.

FAQ/Appendix/Credits
Assuming that the character count doesn't wreck me, this is the section where I hope to answer questions and thank other members for error checking.

How do these weapons compare to the Guardians themselves?  Dark Reapers?  Linked Fire Prisms?
Weapon/fire mode abbreviations shown in parentheses when appropriate.  The Fire Prism is equipped with  Shuriken Cannon and CTM, but the figures below only reflect the Prism Cannon using the Linked Fire Strategem and firing twice due to Pulsed Laser Discharge.  Notice that the Prism's Lance mode is never the best choice in this target array.  It has a minor improvement over Focused vs. LVEQs when unlinked, but there are much better options (in this table, for instance!).
GEQMEQTEQBEQLVEQMVEQHVEQ
GD12.0024.0036.0030.8630.8630.8643.20
Best HWP Static15.53(SL)37.64(ShC)28.35(StC)22.68(StC)21.21(BL)21.21(BL)28.29(BL)
Best HWP Mobile18.52(SL)37.64(ShC)37.80(StC)30.24(StC)28.29(BL)28.29(BL)37.71(BL)
DR30.38(SSw)45.56(SSw)30.38(SSw)30.38(SSw)30.38(SSh)30.38(SSh)40.50(SSh)
Prism (Linked, PLD)28.10(D)36.88(D)44.26(F)32.27(F)26.89(F)26.89(F)26.89(F)

Credits
Thanks to Fenris of 40kOnline for pointing out that 37.64 < 40.50.  Derp.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 02:33:30 PM by The Mattler »
Shuriken weaponry is the pinnacle of antiSpocklizardry in 40k.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: The Mattler's Mathhammer (8th): Aeldari Heavy Weapons
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 12:42:14 AM »
Your analysis confirms my theory on using Saim-hann windriders using the scatter lasers to just stay away from the enemy. I think I'd rather run shuriken cannons using the Alaitoc trait. It still keeps the windriders fairly safe while getting better flexibility from the shuriken cannons (bladestorm). Could still be worth using Saim-hann to put bright lances/star cannons on vypers though? Depends if you need those weapons to be mobile (over taking Reapers, Webway dragons, or crimson hunters).

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 09:06:22 AM »
Excellent write up. :)
I did find an error/oversight though, the shuriken cannon is 2nd best against BEQ not the bright lance.

As for the conclusion I would put Shuriken cannon as the primary choice because moving is something Guardians will do, even advancing would be quite common.
Brightlance would be my 2nd choice because they are king against vehicles, and not half bad against TEQ or BEQ. The starcannon is useful, but with Dark Reapers around I would probably leave them at home.

How about colorcoding the worst as red in this case the Aeldari Missile Launcher?

Also how does these weapons fare comparred to taking no platform with only shuriken catapults? (I mean even the cheapest platforms cost almost the same as 2 more guardians and their 2 catapults do dish out more damage than a shuriken cannon against some targets.) 1,33 vs GEQ for example.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline The Mattler

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 01:29:29 PM »
Excellent write up. :)
I did find an error/oversight though, the shuriken cannon is 2nd best against BEQ not the bright lance.
Thanks!  Corrected and credited.

As for the conclusion I would put Shuriken cannon as the primary choice because moving is something Guardians will do, even advancing would be quite common.
Brightlance would be my 2nd choice because they are king against vehicles, and not half bad against TEQ or BEQ. The starcannon is useful, but with Dark Reapers around I would probably leave them at home.
I updated the conclusion to emphasize the Shuriken Cannon.  Interestingly, a stationary Starcannon HWP is often more efficient than Dark Reapers, and not much worse against most targets even when moving.  However, the Reapers have better range and don't suffer the burden of having to get in the enemy's face to make a bunch of Shuriken Catapults worth fielding.

How about colorcoding the worst as red in this case the Aeldari Missile Launcher?
I considered it, but left it out initially because I was worried about the character cap.  I may yet colour the worst results in red.

Also how does these weapons fare comparred to taking no platform with only shuriken catapults? (I mean even the cheapest platforms cost almost the same as 2 more guardians and their 2 catapults do dish out more damage than a shuriken cannon against some targets.) 1,33 vs GEQ for example.
Guardians are crazy efficient, assuming you can get them into range. I'll talk more about them in detail in the next article, but for now here's a quick comparison of their PPW to that of the best HWP weapons against each target type stationary and moving.

GEQMEQTEQBEQLVEQMVEQHVEQ
GD Moving12.0024.0036.0030.8630.8630.8643.20
Best HWP Stationary15.53(SL)37.64(ShC)28.35(StC)22.68(StC)21.21(BL)21.21(BL)28.29(BL)
Best HWP Moving18.52(SL)37.64(ShC)37.80(StC)30.24(StC)28.29(BL)28.29(BL)37.71(BL)

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 12:15:44 PM »
Very good article Mattler, high quality job *thumb up*

What I'd add here is values for Reaper Launcher. Even though it's not strictly a generic heavy weapon, imho it would be very valuable and practical to compare the stats of generic heavy weapons with what is arguably our best firepower unit ATM.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline The Mattler

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 01:48:40 PM »
Very good article Mattler, high quality job *thumb up*

What I'd add here is values for Reaper Launcher. Even though it's not strictly a generic heavy weapon, imho it would be very valuable and practical to compare the stats of generic heavy weapons with what is arguably our best firepower unit ATM.
I expanded the table in my previous reply to include Dark Reapers (and Fire Prisms using Linked Fire for fun!), then added it to the original post.  Enjoy!

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 05:31:45 PM »
Really good article Matter! Thanks for writing it.
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 01:26:10 PM »
Nice work, I'm still a bit confused that the starcannon seems more effective than the reapers against TEQ.

Have you taken into account that TEQ or BEQ models may only suffer 1 wound about 1/3 of the time when suffering D3 damage, and subsequent D3 wounds would then only be able to cause a maximum of 1 wound?
I initially thought d3 damage vs W2 models would be 1.67 but if we look at 2D3 dmg it actually gets lower. Because if the first D3 is a 1' the second D3 effectively becomes a 1' too.
This means 1/3 or 3/9 of the time 2D3 = 2 dmg (rolling 11,12 or 13)
2/9 times = 3 dmg (rolling 31,21)
4/9 times = 4 dmg (rolling 22,23,32,33)

(3*2 + 2*3 + 4*4)/9 = 3,11 dmg on 2D3, if we divide that with 2 we get 1,56 dmg for each D3 instead of 1,67 dmg.

It might even be lower because rolling 31 or 21 also causes the third roll to become a flat 1 dmg.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline The Mattler

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 03:27:36 PM »
This means 1/3 or 3/9 of the time 2D3 = 2 dmg (rolling 11,12 or 13)
2/9 times = 3 dmg (rolling 31,21)
4/9 times = 4 dmg (rolling 22,23,32,33)

(3*2 + 2*3 + 4*4)/9 = 3,11 dmg on 2D3, if we divide that with 2 we get 1,56 dmg for each D3 instead of 1,67 dmg.

It might even be lower because rolling 31 or 21 also causes the third roll to become a flat 1 dmg.
You're not wrong, but there's a catch: you've still shown that 1/3 of the time it requires 2 unsaved wounds with a D3 weapon to kill a W2 model, and only 1 unsaved wound with a D3 weapon the other 2/3 of the time.  Therefore, it's still appropriate to simplify to (1 x 1/3) + (2 x 2/3) = 5/3 = 1.67 for the D3 weapons vs. W2 models.  Don't worry about the 1s in the (2,1) and (3,1) pairs; since all of the D3s are independent, those subsequent 1s are already accounted for in the initial 1/3 chance of inflicting 1 damage.  It would be a different story if we were discussing a weapon that inflicted 2D3 damage or 3D3 damage because there would be larger overkill/smaller overflow (however you want to think about it).

However, the key word there is simplification.  Your calculations indirectly raise an issue that I did not address explicitly: abilities that ignore damage from unsaved wounds.  I omitted such "Feel No Pain" (FNP) abilities from my target array because they end up mattering more for in-the-moment target priority decisions based on expected damage values than they do for unit selection in list building (and I focus mainly on the latter for my articles).  For example, if I roll well on 2D3 and inflict 6 damage vs. a W2 model with a 5+ FNP, that model has a (1/3)^5 = 0.41% chance of surviving (must ignore 5 damage), whereas if I inflicted 3 damage the model would have a (1/3)^2 = 11% chance of survival (must ignore 2 damage).  As I mentioned above, though, lumping random damage dice together (i.e., 2D3, 3D3, etc.) can drastically change how many multiwound models you can expect to kill, so it's best to keep each attack independent.

Interestingly, then existence of FNP abilities opens up design space for weapons that ignore them.  For example, I figure that the Drukhari could find anyone's breaking point given enough time, and since they've devoted a long time to exactly that pursuit, I'm pretty sure they could invent up with a weapon that technology can stop, but for which no amount of grit and willpower could keep you in the fight if your armour and other shielding failed.  Now all we need is someone to submit the write-up to GW for Dr. Pimplepopper, a Haemonculus that specializes in torturing followers of Nurgle.  ;D