News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330575 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« Reply #1580 on: November 15, 2017, 08:22:45 AM »
@Orange- Thanks so much Orange. I really admire your skills and love your painting style so it really means a lot. Thanks bud.

@Ynneadwraith- Thanks bud. Glad you like the name too. Your stuff has inspired me to define the lore of my armies a bit more so its appreciated. Thanks as always my friend.

@Everybody- Well the finish line is in sight guys. I have one more unit of Rangers and the Shadowstrike Coterie is completed. I'll have a full battalion worth of Rangers which is really cool. So I just finished up another Warlock/Spirit Seer. For those of you who played back in 2nd... this guy will be the equivalent of a Warlock Champion. Back in the day you could upgrade more powerful versions of the generic HQ's. Like Librarian could be upgraded to Codiciers and finally Epistolaries which was really cool. So this guy will most likely be carrying the Shiftshroud and supporting the Scorpions.

So here's a small gallery of whats complete... and the WIP's will be at the bottom

37125807164_ab887668bb_o by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

32411378851_cd6392335b_o by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7255 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7303 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

The new Warlock/Spirit Seer

IMG_7326 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7327 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

WIP's

IMG_7328 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7329 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

Now the Rangers in the back have some minor kitbashes for their backpacks/bundles. I lost 2 of them at some point in the distant past... I found these guys sitting in simple green over the summer along with a bunch of odds and ends. So I'll show those after I paint them. I have to get those guys done by Saturday which is the day of the big game against a competitive IG army so wish me luck (both at the painting desk but also on the tabletop).

Once they are done I'll take an army pic of the Lions of Asuryan and their Shadowstrike battle-bros. Alright guys until then take care and talk soon.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 08:24:25 AM by Cavalier »
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1581 on: November 15, 2017, 09:24:58 AM »
G'day Cavalier!
 Very nice, mate. My favorite out of all of this is the wooden shaft of the Warlock/Spirit Seer's speer. Just magic!... Pointy ears forever!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #1582 on: November 15, 2017, 10:02:42 AM »
That black colour scheme just makes those red gems just pop wonderfully. Your ability to show restraint by maintaining a minimalist colour scheme really paid off, especially on the rangers and the walkers. Well done.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #1583 on: November 15, 2017, 11:27:51 AM »
The combination of jet black and the red gems and cockpits is fantastic.  The colour of the plume on the Walock equipped with the Singing Spear also makes for an excellent contrast with the black.  Great work.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1584 on: November 16, 2017, 07:21:48 AM »
@Saim-Dann- Thanks bud. Unfortnatley the staff is just a dark shade of Balthasar Gold! lol… no worries though I’m glad you like it all the same my friend. The whole point of going with the Balthasar Gold was having a really dark metallic that wouldnt’ break up the stealth scheme too much. Anyway thanks my friend.

@Dog of War- Thanks so much DoW. Real glad you like it. Yeah I’m a big fan of the red gems on the black… I keep referencing it but the old Ulthwe Falcon art looked so awesome with its red details and all black scheme that I just had to try and replicate it. Now I need to get a Falcon for these guys and the dream will be complete! Anyway thanks a lot DoW I appreciate it man.

@Irisado- Thanks as always Irisado. Really glad you like all black scheme with red gems, but especially the plume on the Warlock. I wanted to do a callback to the days of the old “Warlock Purple” robes somewhere on the model… I was real close to doing a few other colors (even started painting it yellow before coveing it up) so thanks a lot. Always appreciate your feedback.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #1585 on: November 16, 2017, 07:50:37 AM »
I have a Warlock painted using Imperial Purple finished off with purple ink, so I understand the temptation.  Purple has always been a colour which suits the Eldar well in my opinion.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #1586 on: November 16, 2017, 02:46:20 PM »
Looking great again Cav!
Love the highlighting on the Hornet and the Seers are looking pretty damn awesome!
You definitely made the right choice by repainting some of these units into the two different Coteries, it's just like the old Corsair rules!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1587 on: November 17, 2017, 09:01:23 AM »
These guys keep gping from strength to strength!

Also, yo dog I heard you like CEL-shading so while I'm bored at work I applied a CEL-shading filter to your CEL-shaded-style minis

« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 10:53:20 AM by Ynneadwraith »
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #1588 on: November 17, 2017, 02:27:35 PM »
Very cool Ynneadwraith!

Now Cav, what I'm about to say is not an insult by any means. I really love the rangers, I mean wow. I love the spirit stones too but for some reason the ones on the back look like they've been lit up with laser sites. They look great tho.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1589 on: November 18, 2017, 07:38:41 AM »
@Irisado- Thats awesome... its such a classic look. I absolutley love the Warlocks in those old colors. If I ever do a proper CW army I should do the Warlocks in that shade of purple with the yellow runes/symbols and everything.

@Auric's Pride- Thanks so much man. Pretty happy with how the highlighting came out on everything so thanks on that. Also yes! I did recreate the old Corsair system. Damn you FW, you cannot keep a good Corsair down! lol Anyway thanks man can't wait to give the Shadowstrike Warband their first in game run today.

@Ynneadwraith- Those are sick! I'm gonna repost those on my FB page.... love it thanks Ynnead they look great!

@Dread- lol... thats ok man. Thats just their battle-bros checking in on them. lol... Thanks Dread glad you dig.

@Everybody- Well guys got my first game with the codex today in a couple of hours. Wish me luck! I'll have a bat-rep up soon. Take care and talk soon!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1590 on: November 19, 2017, 08:56:58 AM »
Hey guys! Back with another bat-rep! This is my first go with the new Codex so lets dive right it in.

Just to let you guys know I did goof up on my list a bit. I accidentally included a unit of Storm Guardians but left out a Warlock. I basically got 2 of my lists mixed up in my head when I was taking all my units out and setting them for the game earlier in the day and planned on using one list, but changed my mind at the last second... So anyway the actual list was 1979 points, so forgetting the Warlock but adding the Stormies brought me 22 points over. Really kicking myself for that... so hope it doesnt ruin it for you guys.

Alright so here's my list

Eldar 2022pts

-Iyanden Battalion-

Prince Y'riel
Warlock- Protect
Guardians x10
Guardians x10
Guardians x10
Storm Guardians x10- 2x Flamers
Wraithguard x5- Cannons
   Wave Serpent- 3x Cannons
Wraithguard x5- Scythes

-Alaitoc Battalion-

Illic Nightspear
Warlock- Conceal
Warlock- Quicken
Rangers x5
Rangers x5
Rangers x5
Scorpions x10- Claw
Hornet- Bright Lances x2
Hornet- Bright Lances x2
Dark Reapers x5
Dark Reapers x5

Imperial Guard 2000pts

Pask- Punisher- Lascannon, Plasma Cannons
Leman Russ Tank Commander- Lascannon, Plasma Cannons
Leman Russ- Lascannon, Heavy Bolters
Leman Russ Punisher- Lascannon, Heavy Bolters
Leman Russ Demolisher- Lascannon, Heavy Bolters
Wyvern
Wyvern
Basilisk
Manticore
Death Strike
Death Strike
Primaris Psykers
Primaris Psykers
Primaris Psykers
Primaris Psykers
Primaris Psykers
Primaris Psykers

NOTES

So... I was not expecting a tank army and thought I was in trouble from the get go... but I came up with a cunning plan right off the hop. So lets dive into it!

DEPLOYMENT

We played the Relic (lucky for me!) with classic Dawn of War deployment. Imperial Guard was going first and I failed to seize. Lets begin!

I put my Scorpions, the Warlock with the Shroud Shift and 2 units of Ranger into reserves and I opted to webway in a unit of Wraithguard with cannons and a unit of Guardians.

I also used Phantasm to shift a unit of Rangers + Illic off the top story of the ruin because they were blocking the Reapers who would need that perch later in the game.

IMG_7333 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7334 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

TURN 1

Imperial Guard- So Mike rumbled forward to try and surround the Relic. The intial focus came on my Hornets. One of them was destroyed though at considerable effort due to Alaitoc rules. Also one unit of Rangers was reduced down to a single man. A few wounds were put on my Wave Serpent. The Storm Guardians got picked on by the Basilisk and were reduced to 4 guys. But that was it! Those Alaitoc rules + use of some LOS blocking terrain mitigated what could have been a devastating alpha strike. Also of note I denied a bunch of psychic powers which was cool. I usually dont use psykers so that was nice!

Eldar- So my Guardians hurtled forward towards the Relic. I rolled excellent advance rolls for all of them. Prince Y'riel, his Warlock adviser and his Wraithguard deployed from their Serpent and the Wraithguard advanced. The Reapers who had been out of LOS moved into shooting position on their perch. Then via shadows and webway portals the Scorpions + the Warlock with the Shroudshift and Quicken dropped in on the back line near a cluster of Wyverns and a Deathstrike tucked into the far left corner. Meanwhile the Guardians dropped into the middle of the board near the Relic with the Cannon Wraithguard in support. Also the two units of Rangers dropped in, one from the Relic, one right out in the open so I could take shots at a Primaris Psyker.

In the psychic phase I managed to get quicken off on the Scorpions (yes!), I concealed the Reapers, Rangers, Wraithguard and Y'riel, granting the Reapers a -2 to hit and Y'riel and the Wraithguard -1 (though I'm realizing I forgot that next turn as I type). The Warlock with protect failed to get his power off though. I then began the shooting phase. The Wraithguard with Scythes racked up about 9 wounds on a standard Russ, while the Reapers inflicted similar damage on the Demolisher. Meanwhile the Wraithguard unloaded on one of the Punishers nearly felling it. The Guardians actually chipped in here and there with shuriken fire inflicting a few wounds here and there as well.

Then came the Assault Phase. The Wave Serpent went and plowed into 2 of the Leman Russ taking 5 wounds on overwatch from a lucky Lascannon shot, which allowed Prince Y'riel to do his thing! Y'riel went right into the Demolisher and destroyed it. It blew sky high, killed a Wraithguard, put 2 wounds on himself and a wound on the Serpent. Bit of blowback on the Assault Phase but I was fine with it. The 4 remaining Storm Guardians went into the Punisher, lost 2 of their number but made contact and inflicted a wound! Unbelievable! Then the Scorpions went into the cluster of artillery in the back, contacting 2 of the Wyverns. They actually inflicted a fair amount of damage between the claw strikes and mandiblasters. Go Scorpions! So a VERY involved turn... the longest of the game, but the Eldar did very good. I had a bunch of the tanks locked in combat and a number of tanks ready to croak. I was very satisfied.

IMG_7346 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7350 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

TURN 2

Imperial Guard- So Mike was forced to pull back with about 6 of his tanks all told which was great for me. Smites went off left and right, Pask and his buddies pounded the Wraithguard killing all but one of the Wraithguard in each squad, and took out 6 Guardian defenders but that was it! The artillery couldn't touch my Reapers, whiffed on my Rangers and lone Hornet.

Eldar- I was in great position with 3 units nearly ontop of the Relic and the Rangers standing by to grab it if they faltered. Man am I feeling the new Eldar dex! It really allows you to be very unpredictable and strike from a ton of different angles. Plus the psychic powers give you versatility instead of just re-rolls. I was loving it! So anyway onto the turn. The Reapers, lone D-Scythe Wraithguard and Prince Y'riel's plasma grenade critically wounded Pask and his nearby buddy bringing them down to about 4 wounds each. The last remaining Wraithguard leveled his cannon and blew up the Punisher and the Guardians grabbed the Relic and started hauling it back to the ruins where Illic was awaiting it. Speaking of Illic he blew away a Primaris Psyker threatening the Warlock who had deepstruck with the Scorpions. Then came the assault phase... the Scorpions had formed a broad line and declared a charge against a single Wyvern, but ended up going in against 2 Wyverns and the Deathstrike. They inflicted a number of mortal wounds across the board. Also going in with them were a unit of Rangers and together they formed a blockade around the entire formation of tanks. They would remain locked up for the remainder of the game! Then my last remaining Wraithguard went in two Pask and his wingman tying them up and surviving overwatch. In went Y'riel after him but due to to model placement he could only target Pask's wingman but managed to kill him. He is SO deadly against just about anything. The Wraithguard with cannon went in against the Leman Russ tank commander, survived overwatch and tied that tank up as well. One of my Guardian squads went in after him just to make his life miserable and get into a better position to keep harassing if need be. Another very solid turn for the Eldar. I had either removed or silenced all 5 Leman Russ, both the Wyverns and one of the Deathstrikes, with only a Basilisk, Manticore and Deathstrike remaining free to act. As you can imagine it was pretty much game over at this point, so I'll give a quick summary and wrap things up.

IMG_7355 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7353 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7349 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

SUMMARY AND CLOSING THOUGHTS

So the game ended up going to the top of 5 with Y'riel managing to kill Pask while the Reapers and remaining Wraithguard killed the tank commander and the Manticore. The Scorpions actually killed one of the Wyverns and just kept that whole wing of artillery locked up till the end of the game. The Guardians meanwhile dragged the Relic over to Illic Nightspear who took it with his handy -2 to hit, while the Guardians and Rangers formed a screen preventing anyone from targetting him. Y'riel ended up dying in the end due to some unlucky rolls in combat against a Primaris Psyker but he did more than make up for his points finishing off three wounded Leman Russ in combat.

I was very impressed by the performance of my army in this game. While the Eldar aren't blowing people off the board like they did last edition, they take savage hacks out of opposing armies and are just coming at you from all angles, both in deployment but also in terms of offense. I didn't really hit on it too much, but units like the Scorpions and Guardians really impressed me. They were chipping off wounds here and there on tanks with their shuriken weaponry and especially the Mandiblasters which must have inflicted around 10 wounds over 3 turns of combat. Also battle-focus with the Guardians was absolutely huge.   

My 2 biggest take aways Eldar rule during deployment. If you take advantage of units like Scorpions, Rangers (or Hawks and Spiders) and sprinkle in items like the Shroudshift, Phantasm and some Webway action you can respond with incredible precision even when forced into mismatches like Guardians and Scorpions vs tanks.

The Alaitoc rules were also phenomenal. Conceal on Alaitoc Dark Reapers is VERY good. Not game breaking by any stretch but it gives you a well protected firebase against artillery and the like. As players get used to it, expect deepstrikers to come in after them, but if you screen them you'll have a powerful firebase that can pummel the toughest tanks and infantry.

But number one has to be the Eldar trickery during deployment. That is going to carry this army during the entire edition, mark my words!

Anyway guys hope you enjoyed. Sorry for the screw up on my points! I felt terrible about it but hope you enjoyed the bat-rep anyway. I'm gonna get in another game soon against Mike... this time against his character heavy, conscript spam again. So stay tuned and talk soon!

IMG_7352 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 09:00:50 AM by Cavalier »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #1591 on: November 19, 2017, 10:02:55 AM »
Great report Cav. It's nice to see you face off against something other than conscripts. Just a question though; on your scorpions last charge you said they charged one tank and ended up in contact with three, tying them all up. I thought with the new edition rules you had to declare a charge against all units that you would intend on being one inch from at the end of a charge, allowing each of them overwatch shots, otherwise you could not end your charge in assault range, if you had not declared them a target. Just a technicality and maybe I read the rule wrong or it wasn't apparent in the batrep.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #1592 on: November 19, 2017, 12:05:07 PM »
Your army certainly reflected Alaitoc background very well.  Lots of units deepstriking or arriving out of the blue, supported by numerous units of Rangers providing covering fire.  I really like how you put it together.  A tank company was also apt for Imperial Guard, but the scale of 40K doesn't lend itself to having that many vehicles on the table, so I'm not a fan of those types of lists.  Mike would have a great time playing Imperial Guard in Epic if he likes tank companies, they work so much more effectively at that scale.  In this game though, he really suffered from not having any infantry units on the table to support the tanks, in my opinion.

The choice of mission was fortunate.  You had a very nimble force, which, thanks to its multiple deployment options was able to outmanoeuvre the tanks and snatch the relic.  I agree that the game was tougher for you than those seventh edition battles though.

Well played and congratulations on your victory.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #1593 on: November 19, 2017, 12:24:44 PM »
Great report Cav!
I absolutely love your list, it's far from being a WAAC list but has some serious teeth to it!
Certainly seems like your plan was executed well and those deployment shenanigans worked pretty well for you!
I think I am actually going to be trying a similar list in a week or two time!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1594 on: November 19, 2017, 11:46:48 PM »
Niiiiice!
As always, Cavalier, this was a hoot to read. Very informative as well. Even though you were 22 pts over, replacing a Warlock with Storm Guardians was a hindrance more than an advantage.

Wow! Both well-painted armies would have looked amazing amongst those incredible dioramas... Be well!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #1595 on: November 20, 2017, 02:17:25 AM »
Hey Cav, that was an awesome battle :) very solid tactics, probably the best way to handle the mech-IG for us.

A couple of notes though:

I concealed the Reapers, Rangers, Wraithguard and Y'riel, granting the Reapers a -2 to hit and Y'riel and the Wraithguard -1 (though I'm realizing I forgot that next turn as I type).
How did you Conceal multiple units? Even if it was an Open play game that allows multiple casts of the same power, you still had just one Warlock with Conceal :)

Y'riel ended up dying in the end due to some unlucky rolls in combat against a Primaris Psyker but he did more than make up for his points finishing off three wounded Leman Russ in combat.
Happy to hear that Yriel is doing well :)

While the Eldar aren't blowing people off the board like they did last edition, they take savage hacks out of opposing armies and are just coming at you from all angles, both in deployment but also in terms of offense.
It's kind of funny how different the experiences can be :) Even though I played in 7th edition with a fairly strong list (scatter-bikes, WK, warp spiders), it never ever felt even remotely like "blowing people off the board", and in fact my win/loss ratio was barely above 50%. Now however it feels just that. Out of 7 games I played with the new dex so far I won 6, and completely tabled my opponents in 4 out of those.
Come to think of it, it might have a lot to do with the fact that most of my regular opponents play various types of heavily mechanised armies, and this new codex is the first time in history when Eldar got some seriously great AT firepower, at a modest price too.

and especially the Mandiblasters which must have inflicted around 10 wounds over 3 turns of combat.
I'm afraid you used them wrong - mandiblasters only work against INFANTRY keyword! The way your battle went, it probably wouldn't have made much difference, but still, it's something to remember for the next time.

My 2 biggest take aways Eldar rule during deployment. If you take advantage of units like Scorpions, Rangers (or Hawks and Spiders) and sprinkle in items like the Shroudshift, Phantasm and some Webway action you can respond with incredible precision even when forced into mismatches like Guardians and Scorpions vs tanks.

Exactly this. Point for point, Eldar have always had some serious damage output, which for most units was heavily offset by poor durability and lack of range. Now however the situation has changed quite dramatically: the base mechanics of 8th combined with Webway Strike stratagem ensure that an optimised Eldar force can hit the enemy with literally everything on turn one, without a single model wasting a single turn. The effect is quite devastating :)

Looking forward to more batreps from you! they are great :)
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1596 on: November 20, 2017, 07:59:17 AM »
@Dog of War- Hey bud thanks! Yeah I gotta look into that. There was some contention on how the assaults worked throughout the game, but I was running it the way he described it working. I'm gonna do a brush up on the rules after this game, cause I made a number of errors. Also Conscripts will be back soon.... Although I actually requested it. I want to see how I can hang against them with the new dex. Anyway thanks bud! Please point stuff like this out it really helps me greatly and its important for stuff on my podcast!

@Irisado- Thanks so much Irisado. The longer I play this game the more I care about representing the lore well. Especially when its ties into powerful rules mechanics like the Alaitoc traits. Coming from you its a huge compliment so thanks! Also yep, I agree with you on Mike's list. It was a bit too one dimensional to be truly effective... especially with the rules about falling back out of combat with tanks. Also yes! The game has been way more challenging now than in 7th... but with the new dex I feel like I'm in total control in terms of rules especially in deployment which to me is the MOST important phase of the game. Anyway thanks for the great feedback Irisado it always means a lot. Thanks!

@Auric's Pride- Hey my man. Thanks so much. Really appreciate the compliments on my list. I'm never going to go for a full tournament list... I want something that is strong, but has in built challenges for me to learn as a player. I do worry about cheesing out so it means a lot. Thanks. Also... yes! Do share your list. I'm really keen to see what you are gonna run. Good luck bud and thanks!

@Saim-Dann- lol Thanks Dann... I know what you are saying about the Stormies vs. Warlock... thats funny man. I actually think they aren't that bad as a screening unit. My next list will see them legally included as a screen against deepstrikers. Probably 5 man Scion squads who they should be able to beat up. But I definitley know what you are saying and I do agree! Mike's stuff is almost always fully painted (like most my opponents actually, I'm lucky!) so thanks about the presentation of the game, it did look good! Thanks as always my friend I always appreciate your feedback.

@SeekingOne- Oh brother... some cringe inducing revelations... but I have to thank you. That is a brutal rules goof on my part on Conceal. I thought it was a BUBBLE effect... I totally misread that 18" as an aura effect. That is sooooooo bad on my part. Like I said cringe inducing. Thank you so much for pointing that out I never want to make that mistake again. Same thing with the Mandiblasters too.... which is brutal because I would have loved to use those guys against a Hive Tyrant, or some beast like Mortarion or Magnus or some such...  After reading your post I'm gonna crack open the rules book + codex and really have a closer inspection of the rules. My problem is I'm reading way to fast in an attempt to get my head around as much info as possible which is a terrible approach. I need to have a solid read through of each unit I intend on running and set aside the time before hand so I'm not in a rush. Thanks a million for that Seeking One because those are bad mistakes.

Also yes! Y'riel is really, really good. Its just part of my list building philsophy... but I have to have a mighty hero in each army. The whole thing just feels faceless to me without it. It can be challenging at times, but it usually forces my lists to be a bit more cohesive. But I gotta say Y'riel feels like a steal at his points. He packs a wallop and with Aura of Command (and even the Iyanden Warlord trait) he gives you some of the advantages of a Seer.

As for the difference between 7th and 8th its funny everyone has a different experience. The crowd you play with makes a huge difference. I play against a small group of guys who for the most part are very set in their ways. They come in with a plan and if you disrupt it, you tend to be at a huge advantage. My whole army philosophy of 7th was the "beta strike from hell" with everything coming out of reserves turn 2... My list wasn't too bad, the backbone was a Warp Hunter and 2 or 3 Hornets with 2x Scatter Bikes (and my secret weapon, my Striking Scorpions lol)... I had a ludicrous winning percentage last edition... but my army was just a brutal matchup against those guys from an army composition and play style perspective which catapulted me waaaay beyond my skill level. I mean I think I'm a good player but not remotely as good as my battle record in 7th ed would indicate. But now in 8th I'm just a 4 or 5 games above even which is fine with me. But as strong as that codex felt, I feel like this one is "better' simply because of how good EVERY unit feels now and the control it gives you as a player.

Also yes! I totally agree with you 100% about the Webway Strike, Phantasm and the deployment options. As soon as I saw those Stratagems all my concerns about the codex melted away. Playing it I felt in total control of how I was going to setup my attack... and for me deployment is the MOST important phase of the game. I was totally hamstrung by the index... but now my "beta strike from hell" super adaptive force is back... only this time it can be Alpha Strike if I want it to be.

Anyway sorry to carry on but you made a fantastic post there Seeking One! Thank you so much for point out those MASSIVE rules mistakes. You are a champion for doing so. Please continue to point that stuff out if you see it! I'll have another bat-rep up soon and thanks for sharing! Now just share some more painted models with us! Anyway thanks so much Seeking One fantastic feedback, You are a champion!

@Everyone- Thanks for the great feedback my friends. Please keep your eyes peeled for rules mistakes because I dont want to embarass myself.... You guys are great! Anyway I'll have a big old hobby update soon... and another bat-rep against Mike's super competitive Conscript, Character Spam list. Thanks as always and Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:13:54 AM by Cavalier »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1597 on: November 22, 2017, 08:18:44 AM »
I had to do some digging, but:

Cats out of the bag now Cav! You're a WAAC cheesy cheater! 'Forgot' your Scorpions? Was their Camouflage too good for you to notice them?

Now go and win without cheating  ::)

And now:

@SeekingOne- Oh brother... some cringe inducing revelations... but I have to thank you. That is a brutal rules goof on my part on Conceal. I thought it was a BUBBLE effect... I totally misread that 18" as an aura effect. That is sooooooo bad on my part. Like I said cringe inducing. Thank you so much for pointing that out I never want to make that mistake again. Same thing with the Mandiblasters too.... which is brutal because I would have loved to use those guys against a Hive Tyrant, or some beast like Mortarion or Magnus or some such...  After reading your post I'm gonna crack open the rules book + codex and really have a closer inspection of the rules. My problem is I'm reading way to fast in an attempt to get my head around as much info as possible which is a terrible approach. I need to have a solid read through of each unit I intend on running and set aside the time before hand so I'm not in a rush. Thanks a million for that Seeking One because those are bad mistakes.

Anyway sorry to carry on but you made a fantastic post there Seeking One! Thank you so much for point out those MASSIVE rules mistakes. You are a champion for doing so. Please continue to point that stuff out if you see it! I'll have another bat-rep up soon and thanks for sharing! Now just share some more painted models with us! Anyway thanks so much Seeking One fantastic feedback, You are a champion!

Just wow.

Cav.

Oh Cav.

CavCavCav.

CavCavCavCavCav.

Oh dear.

Still a WAAC cheesy cheater then?

Lolz! Lolasaurus Rex. Oh man, did I have a big chuckle when I read those replies. Good job you seem to get on well with Mike, as otherwise he may see fit to Tar and Feather you!

Seriously though, this is one of the main reasons I rarely play. I'm fairly smart. Not a rocket scientist, but I don't do badly in the brain department. However, I always forget 1 or 2 key bits of information when I'm playing big war-games. If the other guy doesn't pick it up it can lead to a big imbalance occurring accidentally; and I think in this case, Mike will have been hindered quite badly by your misapplication of the rules. These things happen.

Although I think that Mike should be able to bring a free Baneblade to your next game, to restore the Karmic balance.

Despite that, it was a great report. Even without the mistakes, I think you would have won, although probably with a chunk of your army lying dead in the streets. Really cool report and of course some great photography to really bring life to the proceedings.

As for your painting, I'm really liking the look of your Stealth wing. The black is such a striking look for an army, so it looks amazing as a cohesive force. I love the stark contrast of the faces to the dark armour as well.

Also, once again, I feel the need to tell you how jealous I am of your hobby room. It's amazing that you've got such a great space to play, whilst the board is better than most of the GWs I've been in over the years.

Great stuff Cav. Keep rocking!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Orange

« Reply #1598 on: November 23, 2017, 02:02:30 AM »
Thanks for the battrep Cav, this is the kind of thing I've been trying to find out about. The new way to play Eldar looks right up my alley, webway portals look like a lot of fun.

And thanks for the list too, I've been thinking about using a combined Alaitoc/Iyanden force with multiple battalions (they've pretty much got the same scheme, but in reverse!) and it's good to see what it look like at 2000 points.

Good luck for your next game!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1599 on: November 23, 2017, 06:24:17 AM »
@Looshkin- You're just loving this aren't you! Reveling in my disgrace... lol  ;D ;D ;D ;D Oh man I tell ya Loosh I was dying. I hit up Mike the other day and told him what happened and he was like "Bruh. Who cares. Dont stress!" But still NOT the way to break in the new codex. A lot of times even if I want to switch my lists at the last minute I wont because this kinda stuff. I have to have everything totally regimented, set in stone, triple checked or I get all screwed up. You should see how long it takes for me to calculate my lists and make sure I payed for everything. Just brutal. Anyway thanks about the compliments on my Alaitoc force. I was really hoping you guys would think it'd be up to snuff since the rules are so advantageous. Especially coming from an actual Alaitoc man! Also thanks on the hobby room! I dont get to play enough in there... but hopefully that'll change. I'm trying to get another campaign going... so fingers crossed. Anyway Loosh I'm gonna make sure you have no more room to gloat over my mistakes next time round! lol All future victories will be untainted, this I swear! Thanks as always for your awesome feedback my friend.

@Orange- Awesome! Thanks so much Orange. Getting that type of intel for my fellow Eldar players is exactly what I'm trying to archive through my bat-reps. I usually have some weird point I'm trying to prove... like a 6 month tour of duty with my Scorpions in 7th edition! lol... So glad you found it useful. I'll make sure to try some cool things out next bat-rep. Thanks bud!