News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Can you Escape?  (Read 48829 times)

Offline Rudkin

• Fio'ui Kais
  • Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Can you Escape?
« Reply #380 on: April 25, 2009, 07:33:13 PM »
RIP, ShasO Kodel. Let us hope your sacrifice was not in vain.

SeriousCallersOnly, you should probably close the Entrance Door before you push the BRB again, since it seems to have been established that leaving it open and pushing the BRB does nothing (it happened twice, after all). If you would like to press the button with the door open, that is quite alright (it will hopefully confirm that the button will do nothing while the door is open).

I, on the other hand, shall close the Entrance Door and proceed to push the BRB. I will do my best not to fall onto the wall or uninsulated floor if I get too light-headed (no guarantees, I know, but I'll at least try). I will also try to listen for any changes in the doors over the electrical hum.

If this works the way I think it will, the Energy Levels will increase to 4000, I will feel temporarily light-headed, and the state of one or more doors will change (lock the Entrance door/Unlock one of the other doors). That last part is the questionable bit, though. Fingers crossed!

I am going to go out on a limb and say that in this room UNLOCKED doors are safe, while LOCKED doors will kill us, no matter what precautions we take. At least, that appears to be the way it has worked so far; the Entrance Door, now unlocked, has been safe to manipulate, while Door VI clearly was not.

I also agree that there is no way we can get across to Door VII until we get something to walk on in Room VI (like a plank, or magic Immovable Rods or something).

Offline mrtspence; Formerly Overkill1

• To kill, or not to kill, that is the question...
« Reply #381 on: April 26, 2009, 12:28:08 AM »
On the physics end of things, Shas'O Kodel probably would have burst into flames rather than being electrocuted to death. Due to all the electrical resistance of his flesh and the apparently energetic charge, heat would have built up in his hands at a phenomenal rate. He would probably have been partially melted to the door! So, electricity didn't kill him directly, incredible (and painful!) amounts of heat did!

Keep in mind fellas that electrical energy wants to travel to a positive charge (ground, other end of the circuit) and if it has enough energy, few things 'll stop it--ye know how lightning arcs a long, long way? It does that through air--one of the best insulators, it would be foolish to think wearing an insulator on your feet will protect you from a lightning bolt as it just traveled kilometers through sterner stuff than rubber-soled shoes! This is like that, but on a smaller scale I would imagine.

Also, this is gettin' powerful risky, mayhaps I will wait and see before I do anything...
-"Damn Those Laser Cats..."

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #382 on: April 26, 2009, 01:15:01 AM »
Physics fight!  Electricity will always follow the path of least resistance.  In our case, a large metal wall is a lot more conductive than human skin, so most of the current will flow through the metal.  It would have to be some enormous current in the wall to have a serious effect on people.  But, we are dealing with magic electricity that can travel up clothing into an ungrounded person to kill them, so yeah...

Azore of Ath-Ron (is still napping)
Unsophisticated players might think that the Letter of the rules is more important than the Spirit - but the Letter isn't liable to sneak up behind you with an axe if you abuse it.
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline ShasO Kodel

« Reply #383 on: April 26, 2009, 01:30:17 AM »
If there had been enough juice flowing through the metal to cook me like a turkey, it would've been glowing red hot by resistive heat diffusion. Even if it was 3000 amps, it would've just shocked my hand badly, and maybe given me a delightful electrical burn.

But yeah, I can see a lot of people napping in the near future :P
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 01:31:23 AM by ShasO Kodel »

« Reply #384 on: April 26, 2009, 01:52:18 AM »
Physics fight!  Electricity will always follow the path of least resistance.  In our case, a large metal wall is a lot more conductive than human skin, so most of the current will flow through the metal.  It would have to be some enormous current in the wall to have a serious effect on people.  But, we are dealing with magic electricity that can travel up clothing into an ungrounded person to kill them, so yeah...

Azore of Ath-Ron (is still napping)

I accept your challenge, good sir! One could argue that that metal plate was infact just the -'ve end of the electrical circuit, leaving the circuit open and designed to zap people to a crisp (like an electric fly swatter). As little as 6 amps can electrocute somebody to death, any substantial voltage would mean it would have plenty of capability to arc. Besides, even a fraction of what I suspect the charge to be would cook someone (keep in mind that grabbing a high voltage power cable will get you killed even though the majority of the current will still flow down the wire).

Offline burgers4me

• Burgers, The Delicious Graduate
    • Story of The Gods (SotG)
« Reply #385 on: April 26, 2009, 07:41:06 AM »
Ummm Hello people. I think I know why we are getting light headed.

Burgers crouches down (on the safe none-magic-lightning-killy-floor I dont wanna die) and breathes 2 deep breathes at floor level to see if he gets light headed, and then takes several oxygen full breathes at standing height.

My hypothesis is simple.
with thousands of volts of electricity which is magic, it must be having a similiar effect to lightning. It is converting our precious O2 (oxygen) into O3 (ozone)! SO we are going to die of oxygen deprivation. Death by a need gas, the irony.
What, Wait?

Why do I even have this thing...

"There is no such thing as a bad story. Just one that can be improved."

Offline JeepDriver

« Reply #386 on: April 26, 2009, 02:48:52 PM »
First, I press the button 3 times. I then take off my clothes, yell" Youll never catch me now coppers". My clothes are dry (Hey, I napped too!) and I  put  a small portion of the legs on the electric floor WITHOUT touching it(the rest will be on the no-electric floor) This is a toss, so I do NOT touch the electricity with my hands. I then see what happens. Also, I use the force to knock down the walls/ convince others to sucide for me. *You will run onto the floor*

Offline Grimfang

• Ork Boy
  • Without Conflict, there is no life.
« Reply #387 on: April 26, 2009, 04:02:27 PM »
Inventory (only includes items that are still usefull)
  • Clothing
  • Wits
  • Thin soled slip-on shoes (no laces)
  • Ability to know what others have done

The white insulated flooring will protect you.

Pressing the B.R.B. (with entrance door open) yeilds nothing.

Pressing and holding the button (with door closed) yeilds nothing until button is released which yeilds 1 power level increase.

You can try to carry water into a room full of electricity if you really want to... ::)

Pressing the B.R.B (with entrance closed) the device buzzes, the room hums louder and the indicator moves to 4,000.

*click-chack* (unlocking sound from direction of door marked "STAGE VI")
Again now for a moment or two you are light-headed

Crouching down and breathing deep, you stand and take in a gulp of air, you become dizzy, light-headed and stumble, but catch yourself. O3 is definetly in the air.

(Careful Azore, you may end up napping peranently)

Your clothing wont save you from electrical shock

Assumptions are Dangerous
Was meant as a general statement
TIME UNTIL O3 SUFFOCATES YOU: 10
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 04:24:14 PM by Grimfang »

Caladonia and Gallosias Peace conference date pushed back     Tunuarian Cleanup operation underway, Unemployment in Albibis down additional 10%     CNSE -5  GSN -2     New Research into Industrial power for both empires.

Offline SeriousCallersOnly

• Brother Sergeant
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • This is not a Space Marine
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Tyranids
« Reply #388 on: April 26, 2009, 04:14:44 PM »
Not sure what CO3 is, but I'm sure it will be deadly.

I'm going to walk over to the VI door and open it.

Offline Grimfang

• Ork Boy
« Reply #389 on: April 26, 2009, 04:37:24 PM »
Reaching out for the doorknob, you pause, momentarily frozen in fear. You touch the knob....
Nothing, you grip the handle twist and pull open the door.
"STAGE 6"
Thanks for spotting the typo  :)

Caladonia and Gallosias Peace conference date pushed back     Tunuarian Cleanup operation underway, Unemployment in Albibis down additional 10%     CNSE -5  GSN -2     New Research into Industrial power for both empires.

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #390 on: April 26, 2009, 04:51:49 PM »
I wake from my nap and go through the door.  I then say "Ahhhh! razor discs of doom!"

I then try to guage the distance between the wall and the opening for what I expect to be razor discs of DOOOM (insert doom song here).

Azore of Ath-Ron
Unsophisticated players might think that the Letter of the rules is more important than the Spirit - but the Letter isn't liable to sneak up behind you with an axe if you abuse it.
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline Rudkin

• Fio'ui Kais
  • Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #391 on: April 26, 2009, 05:17:05 PM »
Huzza! Temporary safety.... I hope.

~~~~~~

Is the grey floor the same metal we have been seing throughout the stages? (Note: I am not going to touch it yet, I just want to make a visual assessment.) I assume that what is white is the marble-like substance? Or does it appear to be the insulating plastic?

Are those slots in the floor (presumably for those "razor discs of doom")?

I'll turn around and take a look at the Fourth Wall (this seems to have become standard procedure).

Is the Yellow Sign on the floor? That's different.

Is the timer still ticking regarding the "Time until O3 Suffocates [us]"? If so, what is it at now?

~~~~~~~
It appears that, for the Metal Room, the doors have to be closed (or at least the Entrance Door) for anything to happen, and you need to push the button twice for a door to unlock. Since Stage VII seems to be back through that way, we had best nto forget this! Also, the indicator is currently at 4000 and O3 will kill us if we are there too long. This information is not required right now, but we should not forget it!

Offline mordechia

• Newest
« Reply #392 on: April 26, 2009, 05:24:44 PM »
I am going to investigated the white border around the metal area. How wide is it and could i walk along it without touching the metal.

Offline mordechia

• Newest
« Reply #393 on: April 26, 2009, 05:30:09 PM »
also one last thing i'm going to inspect the panel and try pushing pulling sliding it to see if anything happens.

Offline SeriousCallersOnly

• Brother Sergeant
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • This is not a Space Marine
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Tyranids
« Reply #394 on: April 26, 2009, 05:33:42 PM »
The hazard warning looks more like the one for a laser than razor disks of doom.

I suspect that back in the previous room, two more presses will open the VII door. But we'll need to solve at least two puzzles first: How to get across the metal floor in room V, and how to avoid passing out from the gas.

Step gingerely forward, being careful not to get too close to the slots in the floor. Can we get some idea of dimensions here?

Offline JeepDriver

« Reply #395 on: April 26, 2009, 06:18:39 PM »
I put my clothes back on and go into that room like everyone else!

« Reply #396 on: April 26, 2009, 11:02:43 PM »
I try and gauge the distance from the entrance to the exit of this room

Offline burgers4me

« Reply #397 on: April 27, 2009, 01:26:50 AM »
I like this game.

I would like a closer look at the everpresent danger sign and the actual floor slits. I examine them for any wear and tear (like as if saw blades kept popping out of them), char marks (super lasorz) or anything suspicious.
What, Wait?

Offline Grimfang

• Ork Boy
« Reply #398 on: April 27, 2009, 05:42:29 PM »
The metal plate on the floor is of the same metal type you have already encountered and the walls are of the same marble like stone.(This room is not electrically connected to STAGE VII). The metal plate that runs the length of the room has periodic slits in it. you cannot see anything in or through the slits. The room itself is 15 feet wide, 100 feet long, and 8 feet tall. There is a foot and a half of floor space on either side of the metal plate in the floor (enough for you walk over without ever being over the metal plate). The caution sign is on the  floor (I'll explain my reason for this later) here is what it looks like in detail.

There is nothing on the fourth wall but the door you came through.

There are no marks on or around the slits in the floor.

TIME UNTIL O3 SUFFOCATES YOU: 9

Offline burgers4me

« Reply #399 on: April 27, 2009, 06:22:46 PM »
Crap the walls will close Star Wars style....

And wouldnt the O3 being heavier than air be flowing into the crack and giving us more time?
Yay chemistry win!
What, Wait?