News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: To buy or to wait on the new ork models....  (Read 3836 times)

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
To buy or to wait on the new ork models....
« on: June 15, 2014, 12:10:55 PM »
Well wondering what everyone else's stance is on this?   I have been waiting for the codex to drop before shelling out a lot of money on new toys.  Yes they have nice rules but how they will work with the new army codex is still debatable as who will know what will change.    My b-day is around the corner and my wife has been asking what to get but I am really hoping for a boxed set of new releases or an army set like other armies have got.  (not the GW lets put several kits together as a lot online for no discount which seems so popular). 

I will probably break down at some point and get a morkanaut and a box of flash gitz.   I have been debating stocking up on other items like nobz, lootas, and even storm boyz, as I think once GW gets all the ork releases out they will jack some prices up.

I really like the idea of mek guns but the cost is really disturbing, so those will be scratch built for sure.  I guess i could scratchbuild the morkanaut but already having a pretty strong kan/dread based army the Morkanaut is a little too fitting.   

I am trying to hold off and hope that they do a boxed set release for 7th edition before my b-day as I would just ask for that instead, I am unwilling to buy the 7th edition rule book. 

Just wondering what my fellow greenskins are thinking about all this?   The fact that they have release 3 weeks of ork stuff with no codex is really making it easy for me to wait to buy anything.

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
Re: To buy or to wait on the new ork models....
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 01:13:13 PM »
I know that I am doing my best at the holdoff.  It wasn't that long ago that I ended up getting hosed with the Nid release around my birthday.  Barring some stupidity on GW's part, it is very likely that there will be one of the newish Army box deals for Orkz, my guess would be costing a little over 150 with 2 Troop choices, maybe an HQ or elites choice and probably a vehicle of some kind.  That would be in line with the Armybox deals for the last couple codexs since they are phasing out Battleforce boxes (truthfully the only thing I'd recommend grabbing while you still can).

I'd speculate on what I think would probably be in it, but then if I'm wrong I'll feel stupid and probably get a PM or two from a couple people who are peeved, so it's best to stay free from guessing.

It may not be easy, but holding off is the best choice.  When I heard of a Flash Git kit, despite having quite a few homebuilt I almost went straight out the door to slap my money down, but thankfully I got stopped by the roommate.  Was a good thing too, cause seeing the models my enthusiasm waned, but when I saw the rules my heart sank to my feet. 

Don't get me wrong, I was jumping for joy when I saw Assault 3, but the loss of having a Painboy, Cybork bodies, all three gun upgrades, the FAQ'd ignore cover, AND the loss of Eavy Armor; the Gits are shelved for me.  I'd be fine with loosing all those things except the Armor.  That's the straw that breaks the back for me.  Sure Eavy Armor fails 50% of the time, and a lot of weapons have the Ap to punch it, but these guys are essentially gun crazed Nobz, they couldn't shell out the teef for a helmet and some armor plates?

The Nid codex burned a lot of players, and as much as I love Orks, I'm still smarting from that one.  With the Nids I couldn't believe how they could make that codex any worse, but GW found a way.  With how much I love Orks, and the Nid fiasco still fresh in my mind, I'm hesitant on any purchases until I have the book in hand.  After all they turned a sub-par xenos into an even worse sub-par, and since Orks have been par to sub-par over the course of the past 2 editions since the last dex, I'm just nervous that they'll get the Nid treatment with a loss of anything without a mini (not my Wazzdakka!), a loss of creative options (like the loss of biomorphs and mutations with Nidz), needless stat changes (like the Nid Hive Guard), and seemingly random point hikes.

But there's also that chance that none of that horribleness that happened to the Nids can or will happen with the Orkz.  There is a chance burning in my heart that Ward kept out of the fluff but wrote at least a little OP weaponry in.  A sliver of hope does exist, hope that this new dex will only recharge and re-energize the Boyz to a full scale Waaagh across hundreds of game stores.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 06:46:52 PM »
Like all my green brethren...I wanna buy new toys...We as a game race get slapped about like an organ grinder monkey on pixie sticks on a regular basis.  Orks haven't been really appreciapted for a couple of codex editions. But, having said that, I really want some new stuff.  I LIKE the Gork/Morkanaughts, I like silly pirate tri-corn wearing orks with big gunz, I even like the make over on ork field gunz.  New stuff always keeps us interested and willing to come back to the hobby that we've felt we've burned by oh so many times in the past.  Now, am I going to shell out $50+ bucks on flash gitz?  Probably not...I have a couple of blister of ork pirate heads from Maximini and I'm probably going to try my hand at buildin' my own...Will I get the new artillery pieces?  Maybe...I've got old lead pieces that I can tinker with...it's always something...I saw a post today of a new mad doc/painboy and mek models...will I get those?  Yes...there's something about the singular characters that I can't do without...I think the new codex will be out in a couple three weeks as well...at least to pre-order...Gettin' it, before I plunk down $85 for rules...IMHO, new stuff is just that...NEW; different components that we all drool over and wish we'd done the buyin' of when they came out.  In any case, I'll hold my breath, practice a modicum of faith, and dive in head first into the latest wave as much as I can.  Can my beloved orks become even worse in the latest edition?  Yep...but I'll just wait and see what happens...my two teef...
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 04:09:53 AM »
I notice on the GW website each of the mek gunz are listed separately - hope you actually get more than one gun option in the box...
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 12:05:25 PM »
I notice on the GW website each of the mek gunz are listed separately - hope you actually get more than one gun option in the box...
You'll get all the options in one box don't worry

it's something they started doing when the site was rejigged a few months back - if a a box has multiple build options each is listed separately to avoid the whole "Do I buy this box to build that model" type situations

If you look at the IG each Russ variant tank is listed separately even though you get 3-4 of the options in each of the 2 boxes
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 08:33:14 PM »
Once upon a time a long time ago, the orks were given a new codex, but you still had to use the rule book to reference what all their weapons could do as they were not in the "new" codex. Making most ork players realize that the orks had slunk from being a good contender to a neglected side race, sorta like the DE were for so many years. Not to mention that soon after that the newest edition came out and so you had two rule books and a pile of WDs to carry around so you had all the rules for your army. Alas I may be dating myself to a generation that has never known full metal model armies.

Now, the new toys look great, and suggest that maybe the codex will have some promise, but like OD said, brace for impact just in case.

As for buying them now, I say wait. Usually pre codex releases have been let downs. Kinda like when they released the necron god in a can model, only for the new codex to make it a fairly naff model to have in your army. Sorta like a super duper buyer beware moment.

Now, if they would just revamp the rockit buggy models I will carry on waging waaagh with lots of things painted red...  ;)
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 09:10:38 PM »
So with the codex preorders going up in a few days, I have been making my birthday shopping list.   Is this the last week of ork releases for awhile?

My list will look something like this....  probably a Gorkanaut, the codex, a squad or two of flash gitz, and probably zags.   

I am hoping that the stormboyz are playable, so much to the point I hunted someone down selling them and bought 15 of them for a good deal. 

We have stormboyz, nobz, and lootas all at $25 for now....   I have been debating buying some up just because I am afraid they will see a price hike.   Seeing the flash gitz at $53 I about died.   

I am also wanting to see what they do with painboyz/ mad dok's...   I am hoping they will be maybe an option like Hammae's for Dark Eldar, that we can get 3 in one shot and attach them to any unit.   Would make things interesting.

Debating on buyiing another squad of boyz, I think i have a box of lootas and another 5 primed along with the 10 i have.   So not sure about buying more of them.

I like the big mek guns but at their cost, I am going to pass, they are more expensive than the trukk model, and I saw where someone used one trukk model to build 3 big mek guns which looked good. 

I want there to be a boxed set kind of like they did for the newest guard toys,  they release them then the dex, and then the cool army box which is a decent deal.    Maybe we can get a new release boxed set like they used to do.  Hoping we see something like that at around $250.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 06:36:52 PM »
Can you believe these non ork playing sales guys? They release a supposed KOS army deal without a single buggy, copta, or truck... Kult of Speed | Games Workshop Webstore

Don't they read their own fluff? Almost makes me want to fly to England to find out who is behind this travesty, and give him/her/it a good krumpin just so they know what a KOS is.  >:(

The army they show under current codex is about 2k points (depending on upgrades could be 2500) For that they should have had three squadrons of buggies, six truck boys squads, a baneblade to konvert to a skullhamma, and two full squads of bikers. as well as a trio of planes. Those clowns might have just as well included a pair of the new 'naughts, and painted them red.

I think I must make an anonymous call to the KOS inquisition...
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 09:33:05 AM »
Can you believe these non ork playing sales guys? They release a supposed KOS army deal without a single buggy, copta, or truck... Kult of Speed | Games Workshop Webstore

The army they show under current codex is about 2k points (depending on upgrades could be 2500) For that they should have had three squadrons of buggies, six truck boys squads, a baneblade to konvert to a skullhamma, and two full squads of bikers. as well as a trio of planes. Those clowns might have just as well included a pair of the new 'naughts, and painted them red.

That final point is the pertinent one. Those are all the models GW has at HQ that are painted red, which is why they were in the deal. They don't have any trucks painted by 'Eavy Metal in an Evil Suns scheme, they are all painted up as Goffs, Bad Moons or even Death Skulls (Or at least I believe that's the case, I didn't check the cabinets too hard when I was in Nottingham a couple of weeks ago).

It's not truly indicative of a KoS, but it looks like a cohesive force, which is what is important to the marketeers. It's also made up largely of newer models, which GW always try to push.

Whilst it isn't really a KoS, I think it looks quite good, and if there were any savings I might be tempted to get one, but as there aren't any saving, methinks I will pass.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 09:40:04 AM »
So I went into my LGS yesterday to pick up the new White Dwarf, I was hoping that it would have more info about the new codex in it, and I saw a bunch of sale signs up everywhere.   Found out my LGS goes out of business next week which is horrible.  They had everything massively picked over with only a few things left on the shelves.   I did happen to come across a box of flash gitz and a box of ork nobs.   So even at 50% off I guess the gitz were a hard sale.   Reguardless of the fact I got a box of gitz, the nobz, and got some fantasy stuff WOC chariot and hellstriders plus a bunch of paint. 

So I can say the new gitz is a nice set but hardly worth $53.  From the lack of seeing Mega Nobz released, makes me kind of believe in what I heard that the orks and blood angels will be the 7th boxed set, which rumor says might have the Mega Nobz in it.    if that is the case might see the addition of a Deff Wing detatchment.

I agree they should offer a boxed set with some kinda savings rather than just putting kits together at the same cost.  Hoping they did what they did for AM with their army boxes.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 09:58:45 AM »
So I can say the new gitz is a nice set but hardly worth $53.  From the lack of seeing Mega Nobz released, makes me kind of believe in what I heard that the orks and blood angels will be the 7th boxed set, which rumor says might have the Mega Nobz in it.    if that is the case might see the addition of a Deff Wing detatchment.

Sorry to hear that you're losing your LGS, sucks not having anywhere nearby to hobby.

That said, fear not on the Mega Nob front, as they'll be on pre-order next week. Per Warseer via Faeit212:
Leaked Images of Meganobs and Nazgrek - Faeit 212: Warhammer 40k News and Rumors

And I think that the Nobz look just lovely (And painted red....maybe they'll get thrown into the KoS bundle  :P)
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...