News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 point list, but can't decide on HQ..!  (Read 569 times)

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
1500 point list, but can't decide on HQ..!
« on: June 3, 2013, 04:40:37 PM »
I'm going to be using the following list and basically have 190 points left to spend on a HQ choice.
I figured I can either go with 2 HQ or 1 HQ plus another squad- either Hawks, Spiders or Scorpions.
What do people think?

The Autarch appeals to me because I've always used one and I like to stick to Aspect armies so he makes sense. His reserve bonus would be useful for outflanking Scorpions or for keeping the Crimson Hunter off of the board until any interceptors are dealt with.
Farseers are always good- take the Fate and Telepathy primaris powers then hope for a good roll on Fate. But, not being able to cast powers out of a serpent makes me think he will be wasted for some of the game.
A spirit seer is very tempting- some nice abilites, cheaper than the Farseer and making my Wraithblades troops all seem to make him a good choice. But again, being in a tank is going to limit his effectiveness for at least 2 turns.

Fire Dragons - 110
5 Fire Dragons

Wave Serpent - 135
Scatter lasers, holo-fields

Wraithblades - 160
Ghost axe & force shield

Wave Serpent - 135

Dire Avengers - 160
+5 Dire Avengers, Exarch, power sword & shimmer shield

Wave Serpent - 135

Dire Avengers - 160
+5 Dire Avengers, Exarch, power sword & shimmer shield

Wave Serpent - 135

Crimson Hunter - 180
Exarch

Total - 1310

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: 1500 point list, but can't decide on HQ..!
« Reply #1 on: June 3, 2013, 05:05:02 PM »
I'd go with the Autarch Lor.  In a fully mechanised list like yours, I just don't see how you're going to get enough opportunities to cast psychic powers with the Farseer.  Yes, Fortune or Doom would be particularly helpful for the Dire Avengers, and Guide would be a useful fall back on the table if need be, but I just think that you'd be better off taking the Autarch for more direct influence from an early stage in this list.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
« Reply #2 on: June 3, 2013, 08:16:53 PM »
Honestly, I've always loved the Autarch ability for manipulating reserves, and with the glass flyer, that's even more important imho.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: June 4, 2013, 03:32:10 PM »
Ok cool. so I'll go with an Autarch with Avenger catapult and a power weapon for 90pts.
So that leaves 100 points to spend...

It's enough for a Spirit Seer + some wargear to spread around. If he takes the Primaris powers from Battle & Telepathy he can Shroud the transport/squad he's in and then Scream a unit to death when he gets out :D

Or I could get a squad of Hawks or Spiders. I like having more models on the board, but with everything else in tanks, I'd worry about them getting picked off as an easy target. Or I could go for outflanking Scorpions to create a problem in the backfield.

Or 2 basic Vipers with no upgrades...

Damn decisions.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #4 on: June 4, 2013, 04:04:47 PM »
I don't think that the Vypers would be an effective option, since I feel that they work better when equipped with a longer ranged weapon than a Shuriken Cannon, so that they can keep out of the way of rapid fire, and many assault weapons.

The Spiritseer is an option, but I'm not sure how useful an option.  Given that it's a new option though, you could experiment with taking him/her to see what happens.

Outflanking Striking Scorpions are not something I recommend with the assault rules as they are.

I like the idea of the Warp Spiders, or Swooping Hawks, best from a tactical point of view.  While they do run the risk of being targeted when they arrive, by including the Autarch you do increase your chances of being able to delay the deep strike, so that they don't arrive too early.  This would, hopefully, mean that they wouldn't get shot up by arriving on turn two on a regular basis.  Even if they were to arrive early, you deep strike them behind your transports to protect them if no suitable line of sight blocking terrain were to present itself.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente