News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Codexes on the way  (Read 18202 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Codexes on the way
« on: July 5, 2017, 07:07:47 PM »
Your Codex is Coming – Warhammer Community

Soo 10 before Christmas... kind of sounds like they will all be marine flavours.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: Codexes on the way
« Reply #1 on: July 5, 2017, 07:24:20 PM »
Exciting news. Looks like a lot of what's going on—custom strategems, extra rules for different groups, etc—will be significant boosts in power and flexibility. I wonder how my xenos will match up to these new marines?
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #2 on: July 5, 2017, 07:57:08 PM »
Glad I didn't get Imperial Index 1... I would have been fine coasting on the indexes for awhile. Personally I'd rather wait awhile and get a feel for the game before codices started coming out. If only for GW to amass as much info as possible before redressing the balance.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: July 5, 2017, 09:53:54 PM »
This is good news. I'm excited they are going to flat out change the rules/points on units when the codex's come out. Some things are a bit silly right now.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: July 5, 2017, 10:57:32 PM »
given all the flavours of Marines are getting their won books, I kind of wounder how they are going to do Eldar now. Maybe Ynnari get their own book, which just lists the units it can field rather than one great big book?

I hope they give the people who purchased the indexes a discount.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #5 on: July 6, 2017, 05:34:57 AM »
I had a feeling that GW would pull a stunt like this, so I'm happy that I decided not to buy any of the indices.  I note that they're essentially bringing back an approach that they had in third edition with rules for chapters, craftworlds, and Chaos legions.  I'll be interested to see how they implement these ideas.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #6 on: July 6, 2017, 05:52:56 AM »
I don't like the idea of having books for all the subfactions tbh. While this is another great opportunity to milk fans of insignificant (Chaos) Marine Chapters, I would hate to bring several books to a game just to have all the relevant rules with me. I'm also not interested in fielding "fluffy" Craftworld lists. They usually turn out to be simple Spam lists (Ranger Spam in 3rd, "Saim-Hann" bike spam lists...).

I miss books like 2nd Ed. Codex Chaos; tomes of knowledge, which featured everything you needed and offered some decent fluff instead of what we get these days. I'm quite happy with the Eldar Index atm and I would welcome the idea one huge book for all the Eldar Factions.
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 6, 2017, 06:00:01 AM »
This is why I remarked upon how I would be interested to see how GW goes about doing this, as, like you, I have concerns about how they are going to balance a number of these factions.  Hopefully, the same mistakes that were made in third edition will not be repeated this time around.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #8 on: July 6, 2017, 06:08:49 AM »
Right there with ya, Katamari!
My order for the indexes haven't even arrived yet and their telling us THIS. So much for a new GW. Will wait and see before I throw a complete hissy fit though... Thanks for the heads up Magenb!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #9 on: July 6, 2017, 08:28:27 AM »
All my indexes just arrived in the post today, and I was not thrilled to hear this news. GW must have some pretty big kahunas to tell players that bought their indexes that they'll be obsolete within five months, so shortly after their release. My only hope is that the codex will only be a revision of points and an addition of command points and psychic powers, as they say in their posts and not dramatic changes to an individual units rules. As I'm planning on playing power levels going forward, if the actual unit rules/stats don't change, I won't have a hissy fit, as Saim-dann suggests. I'm still glad I bought the indexes as I was able to get the rules for every army I own and any army I may play with only three books. I just pray GW doesn't pull a switch like the elder codex from 6th to 7th, where I barely had time to read it, let only play many games before it was obsolete.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #10 on: July 6, 2017, 02:04:19 PM »
...It's not been a secret that Codex's will be out. Also, the index's are going to be very valid for a few years until the codex's are out.

The index's have always been a stop-gap to get folks playing while waiting for the rules to come out. They are super cheap, and contain multiple factions.

It's actually great for the codex's that folks will be playing with the rules already, it's extra playtesting from the whole community, which I think is fantastic for the changes that the codex's will have to points/rules. Gives me a lot of hope that the game is going to be the most balanced edition yet.

This is why I remarked upon how I would be interested to see how GW goes about doing this, as, like you, I have concerns about how they are going to balance a number of these factions.  Hopefully, the same mistakes that were made in third edition will not be repeated this time around.

Subfactions will be in the codex's. White scars and such will be in the space marine codex, as well as the traitor legions in the CSM book.

I think that the Age of Sigmar Battletomes will be a good indicator on what the codex's will be like. A few new relics, Army rules, powers and some small extra rules (and restrictions) for factions in the faction.

Makes sense that Death Guard and Thousand Sons will get their own books, as they have a wealth of unique units outside of the CSM book, like the blood angels and dark angels do.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 6, 2017, 02:13:31 PM »
You're missing the point.  A number of the codices will be released in a matter of weeks, not a number of years, and GW could easily have posted temporary rules as datasheets for all the units online for free before replacing them with a codex, so the argument about having to pay to play test doesn't hold any water.  If GW were truly interested in play testing over profit they would have opted for free rules.

It is rather devious, in my opinion, to release a series of index books, with the implication that they are going to be used for at least a reasonable period of time, only to announce, soon after, that the first codices will be released in the very near future.  GW has every right to make money on its products, but this is taking that philosophy too far and I, for one, do not like it.

• Ancient
« Reply #12 on: July 6, 2017, 02:25:50 PM »
You're missing the point.  A number of the codices will be released in a matter of weeks, not a number of years, and GW could easily have posted temporary rules as datasheets for all the units online for free before replacing them with a codex, so the argument about having to pay to play test doesn't hold any water.  If GW were truly interested in play testing over profit they would have opted for free rules.

It is rather devious, in my opinion, to release a series of index books, with the implication that they are going to be used for at least a reasonable period of time, only to announce, soon after, that the first codices will be released in the very near future.  GW has every right to make money on its products, but this is taking that philosophy too far and I, for one, do not like it.

No I'm not.

So, when one codex is out, all the index's are invalid? The index's are going to be relevant until every specific faction gets a book. That'll take probably two years, so the books will be relevant for a while. They could be free datasheets, but I don't care. The index's are very cheap, I didn't mind spending the money to have the books.

I think this is great news, I like getting new rules for the game I like to play.

If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to buy the books, or to play the game.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #13 on: July 6, 2017, 02:35:29 PM »
Not everyone plays more than one army. Not everyone wanted a book with multiple fractions and instead just wanted their own one. Not everyone is overjoyed that the book they bought recently will soon be out of date and require another one.

Many of us did buy multiple indexes. Many of us didn't.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #14 on: July 6, 2017, 03:48:45 PM »
Yeah I'm mixed on the whole thing. I picked up a number of books like Xenos 1 and FW Xenos to play my army right away. I'm thrilled I didn't have to wait to get my entire army up and running within a month of the new edition being released including all my exotic FW stuff.

However, I bought Chaos so I could continue building my army and have a good idea how to complete my World Eaters.

I'm thrilled I was able to essentially get codices for the price of a single 7th ed dex for my Eldar... but I'm a little hacked off I'm gonna have to buy a new Chaos book so soon.

If Eldar and Chaos come out close to each other its gonna feel like a major cash sink just to get the rules. Which hurts my ability to collect new units, since I have a small 40k budget.

But at the same time I'm happy things are going to be evolving so quickly.

I guess I'm of two minds on the whole thing...
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #15 on: July 6, 2017, 05:46:36 PM »

Further to this, given how quickly the codexes are being sent out, they would have been mostly finished by the time 8th ed dropped, so would have known most of the marines would have been released within 6 months. GW could have easily given people a time line, so they could decide to wait. Instead it was a calculated move to suck as much cash out of you as they could. They could have made the digital version for free or minor amount ($5) to cover costs.

On the flip side, did you notice the comment around new models being released with some of the codex...

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #16 on: July 6, 2017, 06:23:29 PM »
I play 3 Armies, split across 3 Indexes. Craftworld Eldar, Orks, and IG. Getting the Tyranid or Tau rules along with my Orks didn't really feel that helpful. the Harlequin and DE rules along with my Craftworld Eldar rules might hypothetically be useful if I owned those models, but iI don't. I haven't even bought an Imperium index yet.

I'm glad that my Xenos armies got a rules update right when the edition launched. That's nice!  That being said, if I were a Space Marines player and bought an index and saw the codex coming out like a month later, and it was my only army, I'd be pretty let down.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #17 on: July 6, 2017, 06:37:04 PM »
The books are £15. In general books don't have a high profit margin. Releasing a bunch of books so that every single player can play their army for however long it takes before their Codex is released, is not some super-sneaky way of taking advantage of people and making money...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #18 on: July 6, 2017, 06:46:56 PM »
and the cost to an average marine player who wants to continue playing their army a little over a month since launch will be an additional ...?
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #19 on: July 6, 2017, 07:01:00 PM »
Or they could just carry on using the Index. Same as the Grand alliance books for AoS; there's no requirement to stop using them and move to your army's Battletome.

It is annoying, it's an extra £15 that no one really wants to spend. But it's probably a difficult situation to figure out with releases too. Personally I would wait to release Codices next year. I was expecting an AoS paced release of codices (slow!). But this is how it is. I bought 4 of the Indexes, I'll have to buy around 10 Codices over the next year or so too. If I want to. I may not bother straight away.
Still, it's not some devious plan or stunt...